Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Tanksmash - based on the Tanks Tutorial

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by georgeq, Jun 24, 2016.

?

Do you like the TANKSMASH art style?

1. I wish a printed poster hanging on my wall

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. It's good for a wallpaper, but not good enough for a hard copy

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I like it, but that's all

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  4. I don't like it at all

3 vote(s)
    60.0%
  1. georgeq

georgeq

I published my first game Jack Courier at Wooglie at the end of the previous year, I waited weeks for the email from Wooglie telling me my game was finally published, but the email never came. I had already forgot the game was published there, until about 3 months ago when someone told me I had made it to the front page, when I saw the Wooglie page I noticed someone had published the Tanks! tutorial as his own, I was curious about how different it was from the original, to my surprise I discovered it was the original tutorial with no modification whatsoever, and still it was among the most popular... So I thought: if someone investing almost no effort at all can get so many hits, with a little effort I should be able to do a lot better, so I started to make a few tweaks here and few tweaks there, but I didn't want to make a copy with a little twist, so added more enemies and developed the AI to control them, then I started to experiment with Sketchup and started to build my own 3D models. During this process I thought: why not make it first person?, so I did... There are sill few assets from the original project, but as you can see this a completely new thing...

Still in development, this is my first 3D game and my first solo effort... take a look at it here

ScreenShot76.png

Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
    RavenOfCode and theANMATOR2b like this.
  2. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Curious if any players or devs from that community pointed this out and let the public know the person who published the game is not responsible for creating the content.

3. georgeq

georgeq

Since Wooglie is a Unity specific portal, I doubt I'm the first developer to notice it, but don't know if someone has made the people of Wooglie to notice it... In my case I just want to see how it behaves and how far it can go.

4. georgeq

georgeq

Version 0.5 includes several improvements and bug fixes... and a new level! ScreenShot162.png

I'm also on the Windows store

ScreenShot157.png

5. georgeq

georgeq

Just uploaded the newest version to itch.io and gamejolt... besides the new UI it also contains several bug fixes. I also made some improvements to the AI. I'm writing this while I upload the Windows Store packages, so I hope the new version will be available there, sometime tomorrow.

Ironically I designed this game for Wooglie, but I haven't been able to successfully upload it there, it seems there's a problem with their new API.

6. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

Pretty fun. :) I would love to see Team gamemodes with bots (team deathmatch for example), or objective gamemodes like Capture the Flag, King of the Hill and Capture the Control Points.

7. georgeq

georgeq

Thanks, is good to know you liked it... as you can see this game is still in development, so there's still a lot of room for improvement, and yes I'm thinking on alternative game modes... not sure about death-match as I originally planed it to be a single player game, but I'll take it into account.

Currently I'm working on the AI and the environment, and I'm thinking of a full remake of the current levels to make it more interesting.

8. georgeq

georgeq

ScreenShot167.png

UPDATE 9:

Includes several miscellaneous improvements, including a more consistent UI, smarter AI, better look and feel. This is the most stable version so far, and its available at itch.io, gamejolt, and window store.

9. georgeq

georgeq

Currently the tanks drive mainly over flat surfaces, one of the things I want to include are ramps, bridges and other sort of elements that requires the tanks to move over sloppy surfaces, currently I'm using Body.MovePosition, to control the tank's movement, but that doesn't seem to be the best solution for non flat surfaces. Few months ago I did a lot of experimentation with wheel colliders, so I'm now trying to incorporate some of that experience to Tanksmash, here is a small video of my progress so far.

Whiteleaf likes this.
  10. georgeq

georgeq

UPDATE 10:

This version is based on the new G6 tank model, which is based on wheel collider... if feels more real however I'm not sure it is more fun... I enjoyed driving the new tank, but I'd like to have some feedback on this... Today I don't have any screenshots to show... I've been experiencing a series of hardware failures and that makes things difficult... that's why I've been away from development but hopefully I'll retake the project in a couple of days... (fingers crossed).

This new version is available at the Windows Store, Gamejolt and itch.io

All feedback is welcome....

11. georgeq

georgeq

A lot of things have changed since the last time I posted here, but that doesn't mean the development has stopped, most on the contrary, I'm working on a full remake of the game. The action will now occur on an alien planet, 10,000 times smaller than earth. That required to implement my own AI algorithm. I'm also working on new assets. It will still take a month or two to have a playable demo, but I'm doing progress every day.

Read this if you want to know more, or follow me at twitter.

A leave you with some screen shots:

314f1243078193.57e48d2fc9597.png fe722343078193.57e452d83a101.png

Attached Files:

12. georgeq

georgeq

There is still a lot of work for me to do, but I'm doing progress on the game development. Please take a look at how the new game play works.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  13. georgeq

georgeq

14. georgeq

georgeq

I hoped to have a playable demo of the game by this date, however I've been busy solving several unforeseen details, one of them is how to build the world at run time without freezing the game for the time it takes the program to build the scene, after one week of drilling my brain I came up with a method to fake multi threading in Unity. The opening scene builds the planet when the game starts, in this example, the world is divided into 150 tiles, each one has the responsibility of building itself, each tile runs in its own job context, so there are 150 jobs running simultaneously, the frame rate remains close to the 60 frames per second, independently of the number of jobs running. Spikes shown in the profiler are caused by garbage collection and physics updates.

RavenOfCode likes this.
  15. RavenOfCode

RavenOfCode

This looks really cool, the concept isnt new but looks well polished. Nice work! :)

16. georgeq

georgeq

Thank you... I'm doing my best... but still there are more details I have to work out before I release the alpha version.

RavenOfCode likes this.
  17. georgeq

georgeq

Working on a more compact an useful HUD

MWU.png

Now you can spot enemies easily even if they are behind an obstacle.

18. georgeq

georgeq

This is how the game fills with the new HUD, after several improvements and bug fixes

RavenOfCode likes this.
  19. georgeq

georgeq

I'm getting closer to a playable game, in the next few weeks I'll be publishing the game, so please stay tuned.

20. georgeq

georgeq

Today finally I published the first public demo of TANKSMASH... download it at itch.io

ScreenShot152.png

Please take a look at it and don't forget to share your thoughts.