Search Unity

Taking advantage of the Asset Store?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ContinentalDrift, Dec 18, 2014.

1. ContinentalDrift

ContinentalDrift

For the record, not dissing out on the Asset Store, I'm actually thinking about selling a few myself in the future, but I feel this may be worth bringing up.

So, people probably remember some dinosaur assets a while back, being Tyrannosaurus, Velociraptor, Triceratops, ect., and now they're gone. Well, admittedly I've seen some of those models before, from a WIP HL2 mod called Jurassic Life. I was suspicious for a while, but decided to shrug it off. But morning I decided to check up on the mod to see how's progress, and then I found this. Basically, the guy who was selling the models was a part of the team, but didn't get consent of the others.

I'm not trying to preach about these models and their origin either, but I am worried about this; Am I the only one who fears that there might be times when the Asset Store might be taken advantage of?

2. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

There might be. The Asset Store team does a pretty good job of vetting the assets that come in. But they can't possibly always know when something is a ripoff of something else. However, this is a report button on the assets so if you see something that is copyrighted, certainly report it. I'd say that 99% or better of the asset store publishers are honest and the packages are legitimate. There are a few that aren't but they are certainly outliers and I wouldn't let it go as far as striking fear into you about using the asset store. It's a wonderful resource.

Cogent likes this.
  3. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

If they are truly outliers, then 99.7% is a more accurate figure :D Also nice to see Jurassic Life isn't extinct yet.

@Pangea maybe the guys contract (if there was one) was so weak, it didn't prevent him from selling the models. I think strong contracts will stop abuse like that when it is actual abuse.

4. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

My takeaway from that video is good grief there are so many people making games now. It looked like over a dozen different mobile games all using that model. Either dinosaur games are very popular with game devs or there are many who set out to clone other dev's work. Considering the games were all released within the same time frame that seems quite likely. Crazy stuff. But "everybody" wants to make money money money in game dev these days it seems.

On the bright side it shows there may be a market for original dino game assets.

Cogent likes this.