Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

T4M Black Edition

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by SJAM, Feb 14, 2012.

1. TouchSoft

TouchSoft

We I have a directional light in the scene... would that cause the extra draw call? This was my first converted terrain.

2. TouchSoft

TouchSoft

So I removed the FirstPersonController that I was using a put in a regular camera and then it went down to 1 draw call.... so I guess the capsule object in my FirstPersonController made the 2nd draw call?

I don't know... but yes, it's only 1 draw call once converted otherwise.

3. SJAM

SJAM

So, yes it's the capsule :)

4. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

I'm converting my maya terrain to t4m and it deletes the scene version. I'm now aware of this and make a copy before it get's deleted.
    I like to keep my Hierarchy version without t4m deleting it in conversion. sometimes I update the original and then make a new conversion to t4m, it would be nice if t4m could just hide it. I know what you said about terrain dll's in builds but this is not related to this.

5. SJAM

SJAM

If you uncheck 'New Prefab' in 'object to T4M' convert menu, it will keep exactly the same object and same hierarchie.

Otherwise, T4M will release the child objects, that you want convert, from the parent object, and it will delete/replace original by an prefab.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  6. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Thanks I will try that.

7. nandrade

nandrade

Hi,

Can you help me, I have a project with 3.4 with t4m v1.53, I upgraded the project to Unity 3.5.

How can I upgrade from T4M 1.53 to T4M Black Edition ? and convert also the terrains ?

Thank you for your help.

Regards,
    Nuno João Andrade

8. SJAM

SJAM

Hello,

I have send the Black Edition to the AssetStore, so Unity Team must made the review before put it on AssetStore.

You can also send me your Invoice number + email -> azert2k@gmail.com, and send you the file after.

Version 2.1.8 OUT :

- Fix Error with painter on all platforms
    - Now, the update file is no more delete from disk

You can buy the T4M Black Edition or Update the T4M 1.53 very soon on AssetStore, I wait the review of AssetStore Team.

The Demo is fixed too ! Download again to get the fix

9. nandrade

nandrade

Hi,

I'm using t4m be in a google nexus one, and the terrain appears pink.

The terrain was converted from t4m 1.53, repainted, replanted, the shader assigned is 4 texture mobile lightmap.

In Unity 3.5 appears quite good, with Open gl2 emulation.

In the same project I have other scenes using the 1.53 and appear correctly, I've only converted this one.

The second issue is how do I activate LOD and BILL in code because I have to activate every time I make a build.

I'm going to send you an e-mail also because it's very urgent, I shouldn't migrated to BE until I knew everything involved.

Thanks

10. SJAM

SJAM

Try with 4 textures High Spec, and keep me aware please

11. nandrade

nandrade

I've switched to 4 textures High Spec, the same result pink, but wait … I've rebaked light map and simply AMAZING your product IS GREAT.

I also switched back to 4 Textures Mobile rebaked light map and it worked like a charm.

Every thing worked and it looks very good, I have 12 skins on set 8000 ploys each fully rigged (even fingers), plus the seagulls of your previous product (I'll remove them) all moving around, lots plants, lots of billboards, and it runs smooth (on Default Simple Quality). Loading the scene takes some time but to play a game that looks this good I would wait.

Great Work, I'll post some screen shots as soon as the game is more advanced.

Thx for your fast reply.

12. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Black Edition is now live on the store

13. NinjaSoftGames

NinjaSoftGames

Hello!! i´ve tried the demo, and it works perfectly, but when i switch to the flash exporter in the beta version of unity, it show me a bizarre error

"Failed to convert type T4MObj: Mono.Cecil.ResolutionException:..."

i´tried creating a terrain with nothing, exporting it, and it keeps bringing that error

any thoughts?

if i can export my terrain to flash, i will buy it, because is a great tool!!

thanks!

edit:
    the error was so very long, i only copied the first part

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  14. SJAM

SJAM

@NinjaSoftGame
    Weird, can you switch on other platform to try, and come back on Flash platform. I will see that tonight, but nobody was make this feedback. I will make an update for the demo very soon

@Lars
    Yes ! Thank The full version is in AssetStore now :

T4M Black Edition on AssetStore

15. NinjaSoftGames

NinjaSoftGames

Hi Azert2k! yes, for other platforms is building correctly
    The only problem was the flash platform
    I had a similar problem with another plugin, and the creator told me it was a dll problem, but i don´t know if this is the case

if you need the entire error, i will copy it here, but it was extremely long, and dont know if it will help

thanks!

and if you have a project example that builds in flash, if you can upload it somewhere, maybe ill find the error myself

16. SJAM

SJAM

So, I have try with the Demo, I don't have building problem, nor with script, nor with a compatibility problem on flash... very wierd...

Try on blank project, to see. And keep me aware please

17. Jobesm

Jobesm

I was using the demo version, and it worked like a charm. The problem I'm having is since I bought the full version, I still can't get my terrain to convert any higher than 550 verts or so, even if I selected 8100 verts or higher. Also, I cant seem to get more that 3 splat maps on my terrain painter, even if I choose custom shader and load one of the T4M shaders that support 4-6 textures. Any idea how I can fix this or what I'm doing wrong? Thanks!!

18. NinjaSoftGames

NinjaSoftGames

this error is so weird... in a blank project, importing only your project, switching to flash, in the 3.5.06b version of unity, i have this error

sorry... is too long

Failed to convert type T4MObj: Mono.Cecil.ResolutionException: Failed to resolve System.Void UnityEngine.Camera::set_layerCullDistances(System.Single[])
    at cil2as.Extensions.ResolutionExtensions.Resolve[MethodReference,MethodDefinition] (Mono.Cecil.MethodReference reference, System.Func`2 resolve) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at cil2as.Extensions.ResolutionExtensions.CheckedResolve (Mono.Cecil.MethodReference method) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at cil2as.Decompiler.Transforms.AnnotateOriginalMethodReferences.OriginalMethodFor (Mono.Cecil.MethodReference method) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at cil2as.Decompiler.Transforms.AnnotateOriginalMethodReferences.AnnotateWithOriginalMethod (ICSharpCode.NRefactory.AbstractAnnotatable candidateNode, Mono.Cecil.MethodReference methodRef) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at cil2as.Decompiler.Transforms.AnnotateOriginalMethodReferences.AnnotateWithOriginalMethod (ICSharpCode.NRefactory.CSharp.AstNode candidateNode) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at cil2as.Decompiler.Transforms.AnnotateOriginalMethodReferences.VisitInvocationExpression (ICSharpCode.NRefactory.CSharp.InvocationExpression invocationExpression, System.Object data) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at ICSharpCode.NRefactory.CSharp.InvocationExpression.AcceptVisitor[Object,Object] (IAstVisitor`2 visitor, System.Object data) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at ICSharpCode.NRefactory.CSharp.DepthFirstAstVisitor`2[System.Object,System.Object].VisitChildren (ICSharpCode.NRefactory.CSharp.AstNode node, System.Object data) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at ICSharpCode.NRefactory.CSharp.DepthFirstAstVisitor`2[System.Object,System.Object].VisitExpressionStatement (ICSharpCode.NRefactory.CSharp.ExpressionStatement expressionStatement, System.Object data) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at ICSharpCode.NRefactory.CSharp.ExpressionStatement.AcceptVisitor[Object,Object] (IAstVisitor`2 visitor, System.Object data) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at ICSharpCode.NRefactory.CSharp.DepthFirstAstVisitor`2[System.Object,System.Object].VisitChildren (ICSharpCode.NRefactory.CSharp.AstNode node, System.Object data) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at ICSharpCode.NRefactory.CSharp.DepthFirstAstVisitor`2[System.Object,System.Object].VisitBlockStatement (ICSharpCode.NRefactory.CSharp.BlockStatement blockStatement, System.Object data) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at ICSharpCode.NRefactory.CSharp.BlockStatement.AcceptVisitor[Object,Object] (IAstVisitor`2 visitor, System.Object data) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at ICSharpCode.NRefactory.CSharp.DepthFirstAstVisitor`2[System.Object,System.Object].VisitIfElseStatement (ICSharpCode.NRefactory.CSharp.IfElseStatement ifElseStatement, System.Object data) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at ICSharpCode.NRefactory.CSharp.IfElseStatement.AcceptVisitor[Object,Object] (IAstVisitor`2 visitor, System.Object data) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at ICSharpCode.NRefactory.CSharp.DepthFirstAstVisitor`2[System.Object,System.Object].VisitBlockStatement (ICSharpCode.NRefactory.CSharp.BlockStatement blockStatement, System.Object data) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at ICSharpCode.NRefactory.CSharp.BlockStatement.AcceptVisitor[Object,Object] (IAstVisitor`2 visitor, System.Object data) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at ICSharpCode.NRefactory.CSharp.DepthFirstAstVisitor`2[System.Object,System.Object].VisitIfElseStatement (ICSharpCode.NRefactory.CSharp.IfElseStatement ifElseStatement, System.Object data) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at ICSharpCode.NRefactory.CSharp.IfElseStatement.AcceptVisitor[Object,Object] (IAstVisitor`2 visitor, System.Object data) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at ICSharpCode.NRefactory.CSharp.DepthFirstAstVisitor`2[System.Object,System.Object].VisitMethodDeclaration (ICSharpCode.NRefactory.CSharp.MethodDeclaration methodDeclaration, System.Object data) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at cil2as.Decompiler.Transforms.AnnotateOriginalMethodReferences.VisitMethodDeclaration (ICSharpCode.NRefactory.CSharp.MethodDeclaration methodDeclaration, System.Object data) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at ICSharpCode.NRefactory.CSharp.MethodDeclaration.AcceptVisitor[Object,Object] (IAstVisitor`2 visitor, System.Object data) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at ICSharpCode.NRefactory.CSharp.DepthFirstAstVisitor`2[System.Object,System.Object].VisitTypeDeclaration (ICSharpCode.NRefactory.CSharp.TypeDeclaration typeDeclaration, System.Object data) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at ICSharpCode.NRefactory.CSharp.TypeDeclaration.AcceptVisitor[Object,Object] (IAstVisitor`2 visitor, System.Object data) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at ICSharpCode.NRefactory.CSharp.DepthFirstAstVisitor`2[System.Object,System.Object].VisitNamespaceDeclaration (ICSharpCode.NRefactory.CSharp.NamespaceDeclaration namespaceDeclaration, System.Object data) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at ICSharpCode.NRefactory.CSharp.NamespaceDeclaration.AcceptVisitor[Object,Object] (IAstVisitor`2 visitor, System.Object data) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at ICSharpCode.NRefactory.CSharp.DepthFirstAstVisitor`2[System.Object,System.Object].VisitCompilationUnit (ICSharpCode.NRefactory.CSharp.CompilationUnit unit, System.Object data) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at ICSharpCode.NRefactory.CSharp.CompilationUnit.AcceptVisitor[Object,Object] (IAstVisitor`2 visitor, System.Object data) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at cil2as.Decompiler.Transforms.DepthFirstAstTransform.Run (ICSharpCode.NRefactory.CSharp.AstNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at cil2as.Decompiler.ActionScriptAstBuilder.ApplyTransforms (ICSharpCode.NRefactory.CSharp.AstNode node, IEnumerable`1 pipeline) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at cil2as.Decompiler.ActionScriptAstBuilder.ApplyTransformationPipelineTo (ICSharpCode.NRefactory.CSharp.AstNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at cil2as.Decompiler.ActionScriptAstBuilder.AstFor (Mono.Cecil.TypeDefinition type) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at cil2as.ActionScriptGenerator.AstFor (Mono.Cecil.TypeDefinition type) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at cil2as.ActionScriptGenerator.Decompile (Mono.Cecil.TypeDefinition type) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at cil2as.ActionScriptGenerator.GenerateActionScriptCodeFor (Mono.Cecil.TypeDefinition type) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at cil2as.AssemblyConverter.ConvertTypesToActionScript () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

i´m hitting a dead end here... maybe a problem with my unity installation? but other projects build correctly, only this one fails... soooo frustrating!!

19. SJAM

SJAM

@Ninja
    You use a wrong installation of unity, you say me you have final version but you say me that your version is 3.5.06b(beta version), I think you need to install a clean Unity 3.5 final

@jobesm
    It's a incompatibilty between full and demo version. You need to delete demo folder before install the full version or use a new project.

20. Jobesm

Jobesm

Thanks Azert2k. This tool is completely amazing. You've done a great job with not only making a mobile terrain editor, but making it very visual and clean.

21. SJAM

SJAM

Thank so much :)

I hope you will made great thing with it.

22. SJAM

SJAM

Hello, I just recieved my Onda vx610w, a chinese tablet 7'' :
    Proc : Allwinner A10 1.5ghz
    Memory : 512Mo
    GPU : Mali 400
    800*480

The tutorial scene (1495 billboards(grass), 412 LOD trees) run at more than 30fps. (grass and tree have transparency shader)

I'm very happy of this performances !

If you have tried on others mobiles devices, please share !

23. sjm-tech

sjm-tech

Hi Stephane/Azert2K,
    it is a great news... I also have a chinese 8" tablet (1Ghz Rockchip) if you want to make some performance test let me know. I'm planning to buy a Unity android license...and your test promises very well! (my projects are very heavy... a mobile porting could be great.
    Max

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  24. SJAM

SJAM

Cool, Keep me aware ;)

25. sjm-tech

sjm-tech

Demo scene test:

HTC Desire s (3.7" Wvga) :
    - Android 2.3.5
    - Qualcomm Snapdragon 1Ghz
    - 768 Mb Ram
    Result: "28-30 fp/s"
    Note: fast and smooth.

Mediacom SmartPad 810C (8" Wvga) :
    - Android 2.3.1
    - Rockchip Cortex-A8 1 GHz
    - 512Mb Ram
    Result: "25-27 fp/s"
    Note: small issue on skybox visualization. (i saw this on other Unity games on Market (maybe a drive incompatibility).

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  26. SJAM

SJAM

My chinese tablet win ;)

30-37 fps

For the little/single processor, I think it's a good point !

Exept, I can't put Android Market on it :confused:

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  27. ilya_ca

ilya_ca

Hi, a small question about painting the terrain. I'm painting the terrain with substances. Right now the substance is stretched all over terrain, it's so huge that I can see every single pixel on the terrain. How do I scale it down? As far as I understand right now it's not tileable, so how do I make it tileable?

Also if I have a separate normal map/bump map for the whole terrain (created in TopoGun), how do I apply it to the terrain globally to have more detail? The only solution I see right now is to add my bump map to the Unity-generated lightmap of the terrain.

I think you should also add a feature to import a mesh directly into T4M, without going through the process to manually replacing the mesh/mesh collider, etc on an existing T4M prefab.

Thanks.

28. SJAM

SJAM

Hi,

To tile the texture is here :

Show me the shader please

You don't need to replace the mesh collider... sorry I don't understand this request.

29. ilya_ca

ilya_ca

Thanks a lot, it did the trick!

As for my second question, I don't have a custom shader, and I have a large 1024x1024 bump map of the whole terrain. Is it possible to apply it to the whole terrain (the same way lightmaps are applied)?

So I want to import an .obj terrain into my scene. What I did is I dragged the Volcano prefab into the scene and replaced the Volcano mesh with mine. Is it the only way or maybe there's a simpler way to import .obj terrain? :)

30. SJAM

SJAM

You don't need to make that, just import your mesh and convert it to T4M (convert Tab, not just for Unity terrain), T4M will make that automaticly.
    I suggest you to follow the tutorial, it show how make that : http://azert2k.fr/T4MBE/tutorial.html

No, you can't, Max ask me to make shader with detail, I will make that, when I have a time.

31. ilya_ca

ilya_ca

Ok, thanks, I'll watch it!
    Video is great, but I think that it would be great to have a manual that will go over the features in a written form. Something like documentation, because it's pretty tedious to watch the whole video.

Looking forward to this shader!

Thanks a lot for all the effort you put into the development and support!

32. SJAM

SJAM

Yes I know, but my english is really middle. So, the video speak much more that the words... :)

33. Muckel

Muckel

Hello,
    well great tool ! Respect !
    So i wish i could do infinite terrain with it....

Request: T4M infinite terrain Plugin ? (I would pay for...)

Well i'm looking for a infinite terrain solution for Mobile....
    I have one working but i takes too much power on Mobile ... so i have no CPU for other stuff on iPad 1
    Would it be possible to have a Script for it ? Can you make it into T4M ? When ;-) ?

many many thanxxx

34. SJAM

SJAM

hi,

I don't have time now, but I will think of that, for next updates.

Best Regards

Stephane

35. ilya_ca

ilya_ca

Ok, another question :)

What's the fastest light for iOS - point light or directional light? Which one should I use?

I wanted to further optimize my game by using vertex light, instead of a pixel light. But when I switched to vertex light, all my terrain suddenly turned really dark (I suppose the terrain wasn't affected by the light). I'm using lightmaps, so what shader would you suggest to use to still keep the lightmaps and to have a vertex light? Or maybe you would suggest to stay with a pixel light? But than how big would be the performance drop? I'm using a terrain of around 4k triangles.

36. SJAM

SJAM

For mobile the best choose is vertex light(not important light), but lightmap is a best choose, because the light is baked and you can use dynamic light only on non-static objects (use 2/3/4 textures mobile lightmap shaders for that). In this last case the light don't affect the terrain after baking (like unlit shader). The performances are maximum.

For correct framerate on mobile use 3textures shaders or less if you can. 4 textures work very well, but like always if you want more fps choose less textures.

37. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Is it possible to make t4m combine/bake the texture layers into a new texture, baking the information into a 2048 map?

I would love to try this for performance, I know the texture tiling will have lower resolution but I think it will look fine for my maps.

Thanks

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  38. SJAM

SJAM

Not yet, but you can make that manualy, I will make an update for that ;)

39. monkey-great-sage

monkey-great-sage

Is it possible for anyone to provide some different low poly tree models that work well with LOD. I have been trying to build some and I just don't have the skills to do it.

40. SJAM

SJAM

You can find Tree asset with LOD on AssetStore. But I don't know if anyone made in very low poly for mobile.

41. ilya_ca

ilya_ca

I'm having some issues with the lightmaps, could you please take a look at my thread here: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/126629-Tweaking-lightmaps-in-photoshop

Thanks!

42. SJAM

SJAM

Photoshop have some difficults with 32bits alpha... same issue with blend textures. Try to use GIMP

43. ilya_ca

ilya_ca

So I've downloaded GIMP, went over the same process once again with no luck what so ever. The terrain remains the same - extremely bright. :(

44. SJAM

SJAM

I think you need to ask at Unity Team, I don't know why we can't edit some texture generated by Unity...

45. SJAM

SJAM

New Version : 2.2.0b

Converter
    - Fix LoadTime issue when you convert an UnityTerrain

Global
    - New Menu : LoadTime Optimization

New DEMO available 2.2.0b HERE

46. n8

n8

What exactly is the feature for the loadtime? is this loadtime of the T4M in the editor or loadtime of t4m objects when loading new scene?

47. SJAM

SJAM

In fact, a customer said to me that it have a load time problem with unityterrain converted mesh.
    On iPhone/android the load time of single scene (just mesh) take 40sec, so I have modified model importer script to fix that (we can make that manualy), now the same scene take 5sec.

Plus, because a lot of people don't think to use the mesh compression feature of Unity, I made a menu to adjust the mesh compression... In this case, with the most high value, the same scene take nothing, in load time.

48. ilya_ca

ilya_ca

Ok, I figured it out - it turned out very simple, I just had to check the "lightmap" option when importing the texture. Before I had the "texture" mode selected. :)

Another question - what's the recommended polycount for trees for use on iOS?
    Are the trees created with unity tree creator suitable for iOS?
    How do I optimize the trees to have multiple LODs? I know how to optimize the tree's body in TopoGun, but how do I optimize the leaves?

Maybe you would suggest some tree packages that're good for iOS and have low polycount?

Thanks a lot!

49. SJAM

SJAM

Cool :)

So, for a big density, if you can have trees with less than 300 vertices , it will be perfect... but you can use more 600 for close Objects, 350 for middle objects, and 200 or less for far objects.

Keep in mind, that transparent objects have a big impact on performances, so if you can cheat with textures (mainly on middle and far objects), do not hesitate !

Unity tree creator is great, but to have a good tree with little of vertices, its very difficult.

for my demo scene, I have cheating, because I had made already the middle object, and I smooth the geometrie for close object, and delete some tris for far objects.

It's for that, that result is not good, (visualy speaking), but it demonstrate correctly the system.

You must use your favorite 3D software for that (maya, blender, max...), I have understand you use ZBrush, I think... So, I suggest you to create a simple tree for far objects, and complexify with it for others LOD (I think you can, I never try this software).

Sorry, I have no idea, I would have to look in the assetstore and web.

50. ilya_ca

ilya_ca

Thanks for your answer!

How would I export a tree created with unity tree creator into .obj?