Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

T4M Black Edition

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by SJAM, Feb 14, 2012.

1. SJAM

SJAM

@Kuroato and thank for buying
    No, is not a bug. The T4M don't convert all things of Unity terrain, it can keep 4 texture max, but no trees, no grass.
    The T4M is not an optimizer, it allow you to paint and plant on a custom mesh what you want.
    The converter is just for some people who can't work out of unity to make optimised terrain, and increase the framerate.
    But if you want using it with Unity terrain :
    1- made your terrain with unity
    2- convert it with T4M
    3- Paint and plant with T4M

Best regards

Stéphane

2. Tiles

Tiles

I see. No need for teamspeak. I will use the Layerculling in future then. Thanks Stephane :)

3. SJAM

SJAM

No problem, thank to you to help me when I can't be here, look the demo I use the layerculling on it.

4. jonkuze

jonkuze

Well I read that I could reduce draw calls, and currently when testing I can see that the Draw Calls are much less than my Unity Terrain when I converted, only problem is my terrain looks like crap because it did not convert all of my painted textures... So I guess it was waste of money because I did not plan to use T4M to Paint... anyway I can get a Refund? I have no use for the Asset at this point as all I needed it was for Optimizing my Terrain which I thought it would do since it has a conversion feature and you mention Reduce Draw Calls in Description. I feel ripped off... bla... = (

5. SJAM

SJAM

@Kuroato
    "only problem is my terrain looks like crap because it did not convert all of my painted textures"
    Yes, you need to re-paint to keep the no-crap effect. (please read the description to avoid this problems)

"anyway I can get a Refund?"
    Yes, but you need to ask at the Unity store Team (like you know, I can't do something for that, because you are also an unity store dev)

6. jonkuze

jonkuze

Thanks Azert2K, but question... why don't you support more textures and full conversion of Unity Terrain? If your Asset can offer people an much more optimized Terrain with Reduced Draw Calls why not support a full conversion of Unity Terrain so people like myself don't have to re-paint an lose our work? It's a real pain....

7. SJAM

SJAM

At the start of T4M project, the Unity Terrain conversion was not planned, because to works on mobile, you need to optimize your terrain mesh, and so, do a optimized mesh out of Unity3D.
    After importation in Unity, the T4M allow to do the same thing like the Unity terrain with your mesh : paint and planting... It was the first utility of the T4M...
    I added the converter, because at this time, Unity terrain wasn't compatible with mobile devices.

For your question:
    In fact, it is impossible if I want keep 1 drawcall. The maximum textures per shader is 4 maximum (6 unlit) for opengles 2. If I make it with more textures, I will make the same thing that the Unity Terrain (multiple drawcall)
    And it will haven't any sense at its utility.

Best Regards

Stéphane

Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
  8. jonkuze

jonkuze

Understood, thank you so much for your time in replying to my questions.

9. SJAM

SJAM

@Kuroto
    No problem :)

T4M v2.5 is now OUT !

Update 2.5

- Update for U4.5 and U4.6
    - Fix Warning
    - Fix Non-Square terrain conversion (thank to Cid Newman)
    - Better conversion quality

10. ZINI-NGR

ZINI-NGR

Good to see you again, azert2k~!
    Welcome back~ :)

11. GamePowerNetwork

GamePowerNetwork

Wow!!! Yes Welcome back!

12. ratamorph

ratamorph

I've been trying to modify T4M to add an option to split the converted terrain into patches of NxN vertices. Like the way it works when I set the quality all the way up and it splits the converted terrain into large strips. I want a similar effect but I want squared patches and an option for me to force the splits. I have been looking at the code but I can't find the part where you split the terrain.

I want a higher quality terrain that doesn't kill my performance so I think the way to go is to split the mesh into multiple higher quality meshes instead of 1 big mesh so the whole terrain is not always drawn.

13. ratamorph

ratamorph

I'm very confused, is Unity splitting the mesh automatically when it imports it back? I honestly don't see anywhere in the code where the split is done for large terrain conversions.

14. schmosef

schmosef

I'm happy to report that T4M seems to work in the Unity 5 beta that was released today. Testing it with the demo scene, all I had to do was tweak the skybox.

15. Pulov

Pulov

Hi. If I create my meshes in Microstation, a CAD software, I convert the terrain part to T4m terrain, will the borders of geometry be the same? I need them to be exactly in teh same place to match the rest of elements.

Further, what is the benefit in performance of usint T4M? Will it convert to a dynamic lod mesh such as the unity terrain with more tris near the camera or the lod is a manual thing when I shall provide a lower res mesh for terrain model?

16. Shaundev

Shaundev

Hi,

Is anyone else having trouble getting this working? I've just purchased the Sources Edition and when I open the 'T4m Source Codes' panel all i can see is the 'activated' button with the rest of the panel blank?

I'm using Unity pro 4.6.0f3 on OSX Yosemite. & I've tried Unity Pro 4.5.2f1 too...

Thanks,

Shaun

17. sjm-tech

sjm-tech

Did you move the T4M main folder?
    Testing now all it works.

18. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

Edit:

I cleared this with azert2k.

But can someone please tell me how i can shwitch of the grass bilboarding?
    I only found to switch to the y or all axis but no switch to stop it from rotating.
    I do not like that in my game and the rotating also takes a little performance.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
  19. November

November

hi
    i use a mesh that was imported to converter terrain, but my mesh is a combined mesh,so when i paint it, texture was bad.like this 3PNG.PNG .i need your help .thank you very mush

20. pmandre

pmandre

Hi,

Is this asset still supported? I.e. will it be updated/adapted to Unity 5 if needed?

The last message from Azert2k is more than 4 months old.

Thanks.

FaberVi likes this.
  21. FaberVi

FaberVi

But then it is still active support for this plugin or not ??

22. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

Still want to know how i can switch of the grass bilboarding to the camera or if this came in a new update?

23. Glockenbeat

Glockenbeat

Some shaders seem to be broken in Unity 5. Already sent a message to azert2k, let's see.

24. SJAM

SJAM

T4M is not compatible with Unity 5 for Now.
    So don't buy it if you use U5

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  25. tgentry

tgentry

Stephane

I am interested in this to convert a world composer 4 tile terrain to something I can take outside unity and render. WC creates unity terrains, will I be able to do this? If so you have another costumer?

Thanks

26. Dinglid

Dinglid

Oh man! I just bought it and found it's not compatible with U5, so are you working on that? When can I expect it to be compatible?

27. ernbot

ernbot

Just another post to say I'd love this to be compatible with unity 5 eventually.

My entire game is based around terrains made possibly by this plugin and while i'm happy to work in U4 for the time being - there will come a time when an upgrade will be necessary.

28. angel_m

angel_m

+1

29. Shigidy

Shigidy

upload_2015-3-10_18-53-11.png

Is this because it's not compatible with Unity 5. If so, when do you think it will be compatible. If not could you help me out. I've tried re-downloading and importing. Still doesn't work.

30. studentvz

studentvz

Hello,

I purchased your product and I convert my Unity Terrain ( has few tiny hills) to T4M terrain but that terrain is not smooth like original Unity Terrain (and yes, I tryed to incese smoothnes to 180). It's all bumpy and my vehicle cant properly stick to ground...

Does anyone know how to solve this?

Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
  31. sirio21

sirio21

Hi, any plan to make it U5 compatible? Thanks

GenOli likes this.
  32. pmaloo

pmaloo

Any plans of making it compatible with U5? I have shifted my projects from U4.6 to U5 and would love to buy it if it works with U5.

akhil96 and GenOli like this.
  33. Glockenbeat

Glockenbeat

Hey Stéphane,

I understand that it might be a hassle to upgrade this to make it compatible to U5, especially if you are working on different things.
    However there are some people here who are somehow dependent on this tool and would like to know how to proceed - same for me.
    If you say you won't upgrade T4M soon or any time that's fine. We can move on, see if there is something we can fix ourselves or just use different tools. All good. Would be a pity, sure, but I can live with that.

Problem is if you don't say anything and people don't know what to do. Therefore it would be great to get a quick update!

Many thanks!

34. andrydeen

andrydeen

I fully agree with Glockenbeat : i must to rebuild my scenes or need to wait for upgrade?
    T4M is great tool , thanks.
    Andry

35. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

Would also like to know it.

36. SJAM

SJAM

The T4M can be compatible with Unity5 but UnityTeam need to fix the projector issue first. For now, I'm stuck with shaders regressions and this projector problem.

acgleader and Gekigengar like this.
  37. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

Hi azert2k,
    nice to give us a statement.
    Do you send Unity a bug report about it so they know about and can fix it?
    What kind of shader regression?

38. acgleader

acgleader

Dear azert2k,when do you want to support Unity 5.0?

thienohs, Flamesky and Gekigengar like this.
  39. Flamesky

Flamesky

Dear azert2k,we are hoping the 5.0 version coming soon..

40. wiyi

wiyi

waitting vesrion 5.0

41. adamtuliper

adamtuliper

Not sure what's going on, I've emailed the author a potential fix - twice now (at least a partial shader patch that got it working in Unity 5 on my system for my scenario), not a word back. A shame, a nice package with such potential. Hope all is ok with the author, he does some great work.

I'll share what I shared with him - experiment at your own risk :)
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I’ve had a thread going on with some Unity folks on this. Not sure if you’ve looked at this at all. Three textures should be supported just fine (note to readers, it was mentioned this isn't possible but it is) from my understanding. I’ve been able to get this working OK.

Their new lighting system uses more interpolators than before, so it uses up all available ones for that shader model. Simply adding a (another reader note: DO NOT have any comments on that line with #pragma, there was parsing issue and the line will be ignored)

#pragma target 4.0

Shader model 3 gives you 10 interpolators and model 4 gives you 32 interpolators

Also Unity added"

Adding "nodirlightmap" to #pragma surface line will disable directional lightmaps; "nodynlightmap" will disable realtime GI; "nofog" will disable fog etc. All that can save on interpolator count.

The target 4 Should do it (found out adding comments at the end of the line prevents it from being parsed. Spent hours on that!)

42. sfaok

sfaok

Has anyone had any luck getting basic support for this in Unity 5?

I'm working with Gear VR and Oculus will soon only support Unity 5, which means my project relies completely on getting T4M compatible.

I only use the converted mesh + 4 texture unlit shader (no vegetation, LOD etc) - anyone know if it's possible just to get this basic splatted mesh working?

43. topofsteel

topofsteel

I think I remember reading that author was having health problems, but I may be wrong about that. And I don't believe he has passed development on to anyone. What are the error messages? It may be a repetitively easy fix. I stopped using T4M when Relief Terrain Pack was released. It enables you to apply splat maps to a mesh and looks phenomenal!

44. AlanGreyjoy

AlanGreyjoy

Are you saying that I can use RTP to make my terrain more mobile friendly? Cause without t4m, i'm S*** out of luck lol.

45. topofsteel

topofsteel

@AlanGreyjoy The guy who posted above me said he was using a mesh terrain. RTP offers shaders for use with a mesh, so that might be a possibility for him. I develop for Webplayer and standalone, I have very little experience with mobile. But no, RTP isn't a terrain optimization package like T4M, it's focus is quality.

46. backwheelbates

backwheelbates

Too bad t4m isnt working with Unity 5. Does anyone know of any other tools out there that lets you paint splat maps on regular meshes?
    Thanks!

47. TechiTech

TechiTech

48. backwheelbates

backwheelbates

@TechiTech, thanks, this looks really interesting. Can you also export the splat maps? Id like to avoid unity terrains, is it necessary to convert at some point, or can I work entirely with meshes?

49. TechiTech

TechiTech

Can you also export the splat maps?
    I think so but it's better to ask the developer.

You can work entirely with meshes however there are many methods and different tools to try and learn. If you're targeting desktop then stick with Unity's terrain system unless there's a strong reason not too.

If you're targeting mobiles then don't bother with Unity's terrain system.

So why dont you want to use unity terrain?
    which platforms are you targeting?

50. angel_m

angel_m

Unity terrains are not suitable for mobile.
    The problem is Unity 5 has too many compatibility issues. Also, U5 seems focused on high end platforms and next gen technology, so mobile and low power platforms are neglected.
    T4M was the best solution for mobile...

Last edited: Jul 22, 2015