Search Unity

System.IO.Path.GetTempFileName issue on Android

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by ScareCrow99, Sep 28, 2015.

1. ScareCrow99

ScareCrow99

Hi,
    System.IO.Path.GetTempFileName() doen't work on Android platform, It hangs the game. Is this not supported on Android?

Thanks

2. ScareCrow99

ScareCrow99

No one!

3. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

I would not expect it to, but honestly haven't tried. Mobile and console has apps sandboxed, so the idea of freely granting access to a global temp folder seems unlikely. At the same time I am not aware of a dedicated per-app temp folder standard in the android app environment.

My approach would be to store your temp files in the persistent data folder of the app (Application.persistentDataPath) or a sub folder thereof. I usually generate unique file names by using the Guid API and checking File.Exists in a little do-while loop.

4. ScareCrow99

ScareCrow99

Thanks for insight.
    We tested on iOS and it work fine. So you right about permission level issue on Android. I am doing something inline of your suggestion, using .Net GetRandomFileName instead of Guid. And clear temp file at game start.

5. juhaNEXT

juhaNEXT

We discovered that this issue still persists in Android build for Unity 2017.1.p4. As a workaround we used Application.temporaryCachePath

6. PWL_Para

PWL_Para

use Guid.NewGuid().ToString() + ".png"; for temprory file name. :)

breban1 likes this.