Search Unity

Sword Art Online Project MMORPG.

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by draulleo, Jul 13, 2013.

1. draulleo

draulleo

Hey Community!

I would like to showcase a game on which a team I'm in is working on.
    This is currently a FAN project working to make an actual MMO game based on the SAO anime series.
    We are working towards getting a Demo reel in order to obtain copyright.

Our facebook site is available HERE
    And our forums is available HERE

Description in short: The game plays in a world with 100 levels, stacked on each other in a huge cone-ish looking world.
    To get to the next level, you need to defeat the boss on the current level, and open the teleport gate to the next level.
    The game is a fan project, but we are working on it, and we have a very good team, listed up into sections of modellers, level designers, composers, concept artists and more!
    We are also looking into Oculus Rift and other Virtual Reality machines, since in the anime, the game was a Virtual Reality MMO, and we would really like to make something similar.

If you are interested in working with us on creating this game, you can apply by following the instructions on the forums, but remember, this work ISN'T payed for, we are doing it out of our own free will.

Here are some concept arts now:

$983696_197704863714948_1713828056_n.png
    $1044320_207912389360862_1198161008_n.png
    $1010834_213293705489397_666808413_n.png
    $965383_197674027051365_175773562_o.jpg

RavenOfCode likes this.
  2. fireexit

fireexit

nice...

3. zarch

zarch

4. xalchs

xalchs

5. draulleo

draulleo

Haha Sorry guys :D

6. uFreezyBG

uFreezyBG

Thats awesome art mate! Good luck! :)

7. GoldGamerGod

GoldGamerGod

The game can be shut down if its released. Even though its for fun only, its still copyright to use their game and then release it.

8. makoto_snkw

makoto_snkw

Agreed with GoldGamerGod.
    Perhaps change the name and then in the tagline put "Inspired by SAO".
    Since you didn't use Asuna or Kirito or any of the character inside the anime, why not just change the name too.

Though, I'm more interesting in Alfheim Online if it will ever existed...

9. Blacksifter

Blacksifter

Awesome game guys. if u already finish that game tell us so we can play it

10. mbivol10

mbivol10

First I love Sao watched it thousand times know every single bit of it and had the idea to make the game of it the only problem was that I didn't have a team and I'm not good at designing but I'd love to see somebody getting it done , logically it's possible to create a game like that and not sure about all 100 flors but if you need any kind of scripts like teleporting , movement , camera , special abilities and all those I know how to do it the logic behind it I can do it even thow it might take lots of time I just wish you the best look and if you do need a script or an idea or something and don't know where to get it from add me on Skype : marinbivol1997 sense I started unity I knew somebody would start something like create the idea of Sao I saw BAO blade asesion online or something like that made the first town of Sao with unity. That was great but they are doing it for fun I don't know their working progress but the guys who want to make it need to get together again best of luck ,don't give up no matter what and ask me if you're stuck I won't give faith in those who have a team and decided to make it also I will join them when they will need me and if everybodys given up then I'll take over on my own and have it done by 2022 not a joke :D Jusrt want to see it done !

11. Thuynder

Thuynder

I'd love to help too, just message me if you guys want to get together to finish this game.

12. carking1996

carking1996

Again, this game will get shut down, and fast. You don't own SAO or anything related to it.

13. ultraviol3nt

ultraviol3nt

14. SunnyChow

SunnyChow

Even if it was a Minecraft mod (which the online/physics/ui/blablabla systems are good to use and the art style saves human power and the worlds are randomly generated), it would be a huge fan project.

15. ultraviol3nt

ultraviol3nt

If he's not making money on it, he's fine. There's also numerous Pokemon fan-made games, many made in Unity, and I've never seen Nintendo or GameFreak complain about it.

I think you people are forgetting that people still make games because they want to make something cool and not to make money.

Also the two Slender games, one of which DID make money, didn't piss off the person on SomethingAwful that originally came up with the concept of Slenderman.

16. KelsoMRK

KelsoMRK

This is unequivocally false and a common misconception. Your free fan-made project can still be C&D'd for copyright/trademark infringement despite the fact that you're not profiting from it monetarily. In fact - in the case of trademarks - the rights holder is obligated to defend their trademarks otherwise they may lose the rights completely. It's called Abandonment.

carking1996 likes this.
  17. ultraviol3nt

ultraviol3nt

That being said, most of the people in this thread are being legal douchebags. You might be right, but for god's sake, let the guy have some damn fun and at least be a bit encouraging. That's coming from me, and I'm an outright asshole...

18. KelsoMRK

KelsoMRK

No one is telling him to stop. Everyone is telling him to stop using the name and any other properties that might fall under copyright or trademark protection. It can still be "inspired by" but you can't use their property.

19. ultraviol3nt

ultraviol3nt

20. KelsoMRK

KelsoMRK

That's not telling him to stop in my mind. It's telling him to stop using someone else's IP (or rather it's warning him that if he doesn't stop using it then all of his work will have been for nothing, which would be a shame).

It's largely irrelevant and we can argue semantics all day long. You posted an inaccurate statement and I wanted to clarify and correct that information. End of story.

I'd rather folks warn people about potential legal pitfalls and the loss of what could be a lot of time and a lot of hard work than to do what you did and provide false hope or mislead with incorrect information.

ketchup_scaredcrow likes this.
  21. ultraviol3nt

ultraviol3nt

I'm sorry, but by your logic, anyone that's ever posted a free model of a Lamborghini (or anything with IP they don't own) on Turbosquid should have been issued a CaD.

22. primus88

primus88

It is an MMO right? So, it needs servers, right? And, servers cost money as far as I can remember. How you plan on keeping them running if you don't ask for money? You pay from your own pocket? Because, that would be real commitment.

makoto_snkw likes this.
  23. KelsoMRK

KelsoMRK

If they used the Lamborghini logo then yes they would be in violation. Companies can't find every single thing that infringes on their IP. I'd be lying if I claimed to know the specifics of copyright laws in regards to automotive design however, but I would imagine those are not as cut and dry.

A restaurant near where I live was in business for 30+ years and had to change their name because it had the word Olympic in it. The Olympic Committee C&D'd them and they changed it to Olympia.

Again, we can sit here and argue semantics all day. You were wrong. Deal with it.

I'v also just noticed that this thread is a year old, which makes this entire argument even more pointless than it already was.

24. Fluzing

Fluzing

Can we please just lock this thread and let it die?

25. Foestar

Foestar

@Grady, Kelso is right. I've always wanted a .hack game and I watched SOA about a month ago and loved it. I would really enjoy seeing a game like this.

That being said, the name SOA nor any of the characters wherein can not be used for any project making money or not without the consent of the creator/author due to copyright issues. The reason being is because any work done aside from the main concept and development of SOA can in fact draw attention away and lower their sales.

I would like to wish the OP luck in their project as they do seem inspired which is always a good thing and I do want to see something similar to SOA or .hack out there to play. But I would also recommend changing the name before getting too far in and getting shut down (which has happened a ton in the past for similar projects).

26. ultraviol3nt

ultraviol3nt

I'm not saying any of you are right. But honestly, I've had two different game ideas shut down because of "IP infringement". You can understand why I'm biased against current laws surrounding it all.

Creative Commons ftw.

27. chrisall76

chrisall76

Nintendo has actually closed down numerous Pokemon fan-games, many scared to continue developing because of it. Even had one shutdown recently.
    http://www.reddit.com/r/pokemon/comments/227blb/games_the_fangame_pokemon_evoas_has_been_shut/

When it comes to anime properties, the creator is usually strict. But hey, there is the AoT game that's been going for a year and hasn't been shutdown, so who knows.

28. ultraviol3nt

ultraviol3nt

Well then, excuse me while I discover the flavor of my foot.

29. peterdeghaim

peterdeghaim

Oh boy yet anither SAO game....

However this one looks pretty cool and the concept art is great. I dont want to see this one going away so please please PLEASE change the name.

EDIT: Just saw that this was from 2013, I wonder what happened to it...

Origxn likes this.
  30. Origxn

Origxn

how is it mmo if youre completing levels?

31. WhendricSo

WhendricSo

I always get amusement from these threads :D

FuzzyQuills, davem250, judah4 and 2 others like this.
  32. chrisall76

chrisall76

It's from a show where people where stuck inside a MMO and the only way to get out was to complete each giant floor's boss (or level as said here). Had around 99 in total.

33. davem250

davem250

Have you checked the links in the beginning post in this thread??? Just asking ;) i don't honestly believe that this game will ever see the day of light... sorry to be a heartbreaker :p

34. melidian

melidian

Loved the T.V show so I bet I will love this game! :D

35. zako99

zako99

When wil you start working on it ?

36. zako99

zako99

can anyone tell me maybe can i help you with this game

37. SunnyChow

SunnyChow

dude this post started in 2013

Razputin likes this.
  38. tribal673

tribal673

This series is actually what inspired me to do game development using the Oculus.
    Hopefully there has been a decent level of progress, and maybe I can help in some way.

39. ExDeaDguY

ExDeaDguY

It's kind of funny how everyone was arguing and debating about legality of this project... Then the thread pops back up and what do you know.. All the thinks are dead. :p

40. Slaghton

Slaghton

41. Bianca123

Bianca123

Hi, i'm working in one game MMO fan of SAO too. How i speak of yours ?

42. AkameAiko

AkameAiko

I have a question about Project SAO. Are you going to use NerveGear headseats or some other device to let people go into the game?

43. Sonichero171

Sonichero171

I can maybe help on voice acting if you are willing. and give me time.