Search Unity

Switching to Unity 5.0

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by KewlDee, May 29, 2015.

1. KewlDee

KewlDee

Hi All, I have an indie game development company and I am very close to launching a facebook video game. I hired an established Unity game development company for this and they did an amazing job so far. As probably most people know with the Unity 5.0 coming out Chrome is no longer supported so the company suggested upgrading to Unity5.0. Apart from the host of advantages it will also allow for the game to be played on any browser (HTML 5 etc etc). We definitely like the game being browser agnostic especially with Windows 10 popping out soon and IE phasing out and what not. The company came back with a time and cost quote for porting/upgrading the game to U5 and this is where I have a question.
    1. Will it take some effort to switch the game to U5 or is it just as simple as opening the game code in U5 and recompiling? (My tech skills stink. So plz ignore my naivete). My game does have a good bit of collisions explosions etc in it.
    2. Do any of you have any suggestions on how to temporarily deal with Chrome not supporting Unity plugin issue ?

Any other related insight into this is much appreciated.

Thanks
    Kewl

2. Ostwind

Ostwind

You might want to recheck what you wrote since the first 3 lines look a bit messy...

It will still take months to WebGL be supported properly by all browsers.

1. Converting a webplayer game to webgl will all depend how complex it is since webgl does not have all the same features (like shaders etc). Converting from U4 to U5 might as be as easy as opening the project in new version and recompiling or need more work like on the physics or shaders that had larger changes. 2D game with basic colliders is not probably a lot of work.
    2. this was posted yesterday: http://blogs.unity3d.com/2015/05/28/web-publishing-following-chrome-npapi-deprecation/

KewlDee likes this.
  3. KewlDee

KewlDee

Thanks for the link Ostwind. That is a good bit of info.

Reg the messy part in my post, please ignore it. I am new to all this.

Kewl