Search Unity

Swapping Override Clips at Runtime

Discussion in 'Animation' started by Alismuffin, Feb 16, 2015.

1. Alismuffin

Alismuffin

Hey guys!

I have a base AnimatorController and an AnimatorOverrideController.

Things work well except for when I swap out the override AnimationClip from the list of AnimationClipPairs at runtime! It resets the animator controller

overrideController[originalClipName] = attackClip;

That is all I have written for the swap and it results in the entire animator being reset. It goes back to its default state and all parameters are reset.

Is there a way that I can somehow safely swap the clip and keep the current state I am in as well as the parameters? (The state I am in is not the state that I want to swap the clip for)

2. Mecanim-Dev

Mecanim-Dev

Hi Alismuffin,

It's expected that the animator is resetted when you change a clip. This is something we would like to change in the future.

In the meantime you need to save the Animator State before changing the clip, change the clip and then push back the saved state.

Code (CSharp):
    2.         Animator animator = GetComponent<Animator>();
    4.         AnimatorStateInfo[] layerInfo = new AnimatorStateInfo[animator.layerCount];
    5.         for (int i = 0; i < animator.layerCount; i++)
    6.         {
    7.             layerInfo[i] = animator.GetCurrentAnimatorStateInfo(i);
    8.         }
    10.         // Do swap clip in override controller here
    12.         // Push back state
    13.         for (int i = 0; i < animator.layerCount; i++)
    14.         {
    15.             animator.Play(layerInfo[i].nameHash, i, layerInfo[i].normalizedTime);
    16.         }
    18.         // Force an update
    19.         animator.Update(0.0f);

3. Alismuffin

Alismuffin

Hey thanks that helps a lot!

However that still doesn't solve my issue with the actual parameters changing. I have a float value that I need to stay the same during the clip change. Is there any similar solution to this?

4. Mecanim-Dev

Mecanim-Dev

yes you will need to save the parameter value too.

5. Alismuffin

Alismuffin

As far as I can see there is no way of getting a list of these parameters which makes that solution not entirely ideal. I can't rely on knowing the names of the parameters that I want to save because this is a very generic operation I am doing.

Thanks to your initial post and some reworking of my controller I was able to get what I wanted without making use of parameters so thanks for that!

6. Mecanim-Dev

Mecanim-Dev

In 5.0 we did add Animator.parameters which return the parameter list.

7. Alismuffin

Alismuffin

Ah! That's great. Unfortunately I cannot use 5.0 at this point but that is great to know! Thanks for your help.

8. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

How were you able to overcome the problem without the solutions mecanim.dev suggested?

9. jctz

jctz

I'm using Mechanim.Dev's solution ( as well as manually resetting some of my basic controller bools) but I'm now getting this error in the console:

Calling Animator.GotoState on Synchronize layer

This appears to be happening when I call animator.Play() in the 'push back state' block in the example code, and the effect is that my replacement clips don't play.

Could this be due to the fact that I'm calling this inside a coroutine?

10. jctz

jctz

Also, I just wanted to clarify how Unity 5 will improve this. Will Unity 5 eliminate the need for us to manually save/restore the state, or will it only make it easier for us to save/restore the state ourselves?

11. Mecanim-Dev

Mecanim-Dev

We didn't change anything regarding this in 5.0, you still need to save/restore everything manually

12. nonehill

nonehill

13. Ben_SEM

Ben_SEM

Hi,
    I've been trying this on a simple test in 5.1.1 and it doesn't seem to work anymore (or I'm doing something wrong). After saving the states and changing the clips through the override controller, the original Animator becomes corrupt it seems, reporting 0 layers and 0 parameters. No error is raised and the clip replacement works, but the states are not restored correctly and so the FSM resets.

Any idea what's going on?

agentHein likes this.
  14. riccardotognin

riccardotognin

Hi Ben_SEM,
    i think i found the solution to your problem with the resetting FSM:

Code (CSharp):
    1. Animator animator = GetComponent<Animator>();
    2. AnimatorStateInfo[] layerInfo = new AnimatorStateInfo[animator.layerCount];
    3. for (int i = 0; i < animator.layerCount; i++)
    4. {
    5.     layerInfo[i] = animator.GetCurrentAnimatorStateInfo(i);
    6. }
    7. // Do swap clip in override controller here
    9. // Force an update
    10. animator.Update(0.0f);
    12. // Push back state
    13. for (int i = 0; i < animator.layerCount; i++)
    14. {
    15.     animator.Play(layerInfo[i].nameHash, i, layerInfo[i].normalizedTime);
    16. }      
    As you can see, i moved the animator.Update(0.0f) line right before the // Push back state and it seems to work just fine for me.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  15. Ben_SEM

Ben_SEM

It works for me as well! Thanks a lot riccardo :)

16. riccardotognin

riccardotognin

I'm glad it worked for you too! You're welcome ;)

17. Ben_SEM

Ben_SEM

Two more things to know if you're trying to pull this one:
    1- spinning the animator *again* (though animator.Update(0f)) after restoring the animator state prevents some cases of one-frame undetermined state
    2 - backing up and restoring the animator parameters as well is a good idea. See http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/919995/parameters-and-states-of-animator-reset-on-objects.html. Note that I don't know of any way to save and restore the *trigger* parameters, which due to the way we build our animators is not an issue for us; but that may be a blocking point for others.
    [Edit: more points!]
    3 - restoring the state of the animator does not restore transitions (blends) that were in progress. Haven't found a way to do that properly, though maybe using CrossFade could help.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
  18. aaronmichaelfrost

aaronmichaelfrost

Animator.layercount returns 0 for me when I use an animator controller override in 2020.2.2f1, and it also says animator doesnt have an animator controller when it clearly does

Last edited: Jun 25, 2021
  19. Kybernetik

Kybernetik

Either post a thread about it and give some actual details or report a bug in Unity via the Help menu. Don't necro a 6 year old thread just because it's tangentially related.