Search Unity

Offroad Models - WIP *Webplayer*

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by hamyshank, Oct 1, 2015.

1. hamyshank

hamyshank

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
  2. hamyshank

hamyshank

~New Buggy Model
    ~Reworked the Suspension setup
    ~Added shocks

3. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Nice looking system, will you do a webplayer demo?

4. hamyshank

hamyshank

Hey, thanks!

I reworked a lot of things on the truck. So, I have the buggy and truck almost done except for texturing (which will be done later) Once I get those two done I'll make a webplayer to check it out.

I also plan to make a heavy off-road vehicle like a Kamaz.

5. hamyshank

hamyshank

couple basic blender renders
    say that three times fast!

Attached Files:

6. hamyshank

hamyshank

updated truck

new video of truck incoming~~

Attached Files:

7. hamyshank

hamyshank

~Version 2 of Buggy Model
    ~Textures for Buggy
    ~Sketchfab Version Uploaded

8. Dennis_eA

Dennis_eA

interesting model ;)

you should work on a working front suspension, that the wheels in your project keep their position and rotation really stands out.
    what I mean:

- from 1:20 on

also, the rigid axle on the rear shouldn't move the way it does. a rigid axle is a dependent suspension - both rear wheels should affect each other when moved up/down

edit: source wikipedia

9. hamyshank

hamyshank

Hey Dennis! Thanks for the feedback. I've seen that video, it is awesome.

Yes! My setup is not set up correctly, I mainly put it together just to show my buggy. All I am currently using are simple look at scripts with a defined up to make them follow the wheels, etc. And yeah the rear axle I completely fudged on since it has no straight axle. I haven't figured out a way to keep them connected.

I've seen your system and am currently watching your thread. It's very impressive and I would love to see my buggy using it.
    I'll start working on modeling a rear axle and drive shaft just to complete the look. And I would be delighted to let you use my model for your system. Just let me know if I need to make some other adjustments on it to suit your needs.

10. Dennis_eA

Dennis_eA

Hey, hamyshank. Thank you a lot, but as I wrote I am currently not working on it.

Also, and this is some kind of problem for me, I have fear that people that would use it would expect it to work with Edys physics and others out of the box. didn't look into their code yet though ..

Implementing a rigid rear axle should be easier, you should start with this.
    and as a tip for double wishbone suspension stuff:
    like 90% of R/C car chassis are build that way, so when you work on your very own off road car concept there is much inspiration to take from them :)
    Also, don't forget axle drift shafts etc. :)

11. hamyshank

hamyshank

Sorry to hear you're not working on it anymore it looked like you were making lots of progress, don't see where you've mentioned it was canceled but ok.

"- My solution is not limited to be used with WheelColliders. It is dependent solely on the wheel's local Y-position. "
    Eddy's uses the WheelCollider so I don't see why it wouldn't work. But that's just an assumption on my part.

My model does have a double wishbone suspension in the front. And at first I was thinking making the rear Independent too. Lots of buggies don't use a rear solid axle, like the one pictured below. And I wasn't really going for a textbook setup - Just mostly trying to get the main parts to work first.

Now getting all these parts moving together in Unity in a truly realistic way in Unity is another ballgame. So, I am looking for more of a solution to that. Maybe since you're not working on your project anymore you could share what you've come up with, as coding is not my forte - I'm more the artist type. ;)

Attached Files:

12. Dennis_eA

Dennis_eA

i didn't say anymore. I said not currently. :rolleyes: But after I answered you I had some ideas for this... and possibly a solution for some of the problems so far. Ty for inspiring me :cool:

Sure, that's right. What I am talking about is that there are numerous ways to set up wheel colliders - or even fake them (Randomization Physics does this?). And at the end there is the positioning of the wheel models (in U5 there is a GetPose-function?). to make a long story short: I don't want code that feels hackyo_O

Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
  13. hamyshank

hamyshank

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015