Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Surviving Pangea: [WIP/Pre Alpha]

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Jaqal, Aug 13, 2014.

1. Jaqal

Jaqal

"The Prehistoric Survival Game"
    DesertArt final.jpg

**Recent Updates**
    Reworked Velociraptor model and textures. Adding feathers and more color as well as polishing many of the animations. AI has also been completely reworked from the ground up allowing for a wide variety of enemy states. Started work on some early environmental concept art. Currently upgrading engine to the Unity Pro 5.

**Latest Video**

Quick Summary

This isn't your typical survival knockoff replacing zombies with dinosaurs. Surviving Pangea will give you a truly immersive survival experience like no other. Featuring a revolutionary 3D inventory and crafting system, fluid physics based combat and a dynamic ecosystem. Explore a detailed open world environment full of unique procedural biomes.

How you survive is up to you. Hunt and trap dinosaurs, gather local vegetation or build a shelter and start farming.

Basic Concept

It is the distant future. You are on the way back to earth from a mission to deep space. Your ship and entire crew are sucked into a rouge wormhole being sent millions of years into the past...
    A first person, open world, survival based in a semi realistic pre historic environment. When starting a game the main focus will be on the survival aspects like simply finding food sources and shelter. One the player becomes self sufficient the real fun begins with an in depth crafting and large scale building system fueled by extensive resource gathering. Chop trees, mine rare minerals, plant crops, hunt the diverse wild life or set traps while searching for resources. The player will constantly battle hunger, thirst, injury, infection and sickness. All while trying to survive the most dangerous predators known to man.

Combat is fast paced and fluid. Instead of using standard animations attacks are based on individual weapons using real time physics and collision detection. Enemies are difficult and no two fight alike. From basic stick bows and rock axes to more advanced metal weapons there are many craftable items to help you survive. As many of the enemies will be much larger than you, large scale weaponry such as Ballistas are available to build.

AxeWaterfall.png
    The Game World

Playable areas are seamless highly detailed randomly placed biomes. I chose to not use procedural generated areas as they often have odd placements of things and tend to not look as appealing as those that are designed. And the typical one designed open world things tend to eventually get boring after playing the same area over and over. So with my design you get the best of both. A procedural map that will be different every time you play but will bring great looks and level design. This also allows for expansion of the world area at anytime by simply adding more areas per world. There will currently be 8 - 10 large areas for each play through of varying unique biomes, each containing specific resources and wildlife. Some areas will be inaccessible without certain items (ie. Rope to repel a ravine, a raft to cross rivers etc.).

**Gameplay videos below**
    Finished Features (Features that are at least 75% complete)
    • Day/Night Cycles: Sleeping system and nocturnal animals.
    • 3D Inventory : (Video) , (Video)
    • Dynamic Weather: Global wetness, thunderstorms, rain and changing water levels.
    • Animal kingdom AI system: Carnivorous and herbivorous dinosaurs, mammals, bugs and various plants. Dynamic ecosystem.
    • Tree chopping: (Video)
    • Resource gathering: Mining, logging, farming.
    • Touch bending on the majority of small plants: (Video)
    • Hunger/Thirst/Sanity: (Look above next to Inventory for an early video of these features)
    • Food/Shelter/Weapon Degrading: (Look above next to Inventory for an early video of these features.)
    • Injuries status for large enemies: Broken bones, poison, fire damage.
    • Large Scale Building: (Video) , (Video)
    • Procedural Biome Placement
    • Large Scale Weaponry
    • Endless cave systems: caves get more dangerous and rewarding the deeper you go.
    Current Dinosaur Roster(Updated pics and vids coming soon)
    • T-Rex
    • Velociraptor
    • Triceratops
    • Compisaurus
    • Pteradactylus
    Dinosaur WIP's
    • Dilophosaurus
    • Concavenator
    • Deinocheirus
    • Spinosaurus
    • Microraptor
    • Therizinosaurus
    • Troodon
    • Gallimimus
    • Parasaur
    • Many more!

**Indiedb**

Kickstarter planned TBD
    Release TBD

Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
  2. GeneBox

GeneBox

I was getting tired of savages, zombies and all that... Now the dinos on the other hand... I'll keep an eye on this, looks good so far!

bugmagnet and Jaqal like this.
  3. BeardedSloth

BeardedSloth

I've been thinking about the concept of a good prehistoric survival game, liking your progress so far, I'll have to keep an eye on this too for sure.

Jaqal likes this.
  4. Taff-in-Exile

Taff-in-Exile

Oh this looks interesting.....I'll be interested to see how this progresses :)

5. Jaqal

Jaqal

Thanks! I actually just got back from my vacation and plan on uploading some gameplay vids tonight.

6. Dcal15

Dcal15

This does look awesome! How long has it taken to get to where you are now? I'm just starting with Unity. Very curious to see the video.

Jaqal likes this.
  7. Jaqal

Jaqal

Only a few months actually. Most of that time was just getting used to the way unity works and the framework for the game laid out. I didn't have any game making experience(other than being a life long gamer lol) when I started but I used to program autonomous robots so that helped with the ai and programming side.

I'm posting from my phone and I've been running around all day but I'll get one up tonight when I get home.

On a side note I also work on this 8-10 hours a day 6 says a week so my progress will be faster than a lot of people.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
  8. Taff-in-Exile

Taff-in-Exile

Wow you've may great progress in a few months! I cant wait to see the vids :)

Jaqal likes this.
  9. Jaqal

Jaqal

Hey guys I know I said I was going to put up some videos almost two weeks ago but I had some problems with my hard drive wanting to stop working. I went ahead and upgraded my whole pc so now I'm back in business! I also got my hands on some very nice assets. I added a simple pic of carrying a log and one of the new bow and raptor models. I am making a video tonight of some bow shooting mechanics and maybe a little of the AI in action. I'll try to have them uploaded by morning!

10. Jaqal

Jaqal

Two more quick pics for you guys.
    AxeOnBlock1.jpg BowOnWallenh1.jpg

HerrDarko and Ocid like this.
  11. Jaqal

Jaqal

Here's a quick video I made today of the tree cutting system which is nearly finished.

MJNuchia, Ocid and ManAmazin like this.
  12. zenGarden

zenGarden

This tree demo is awesome.

Jaqal likes this.
  13. Jaqal

Jaqal

Thanks! I've really been putting a lot of work into the tree system lately. There are currently 3 medium sized trees that can be cut down and that was the hardest to make work due to the shape of the trunk and the vines. The rest should be a piece of cake now.

14. Jaqal

Jaqal

Did some work on the plants touch bending today. Plant bending is currently affected by all AI, the main character and wind effects. Small plants bend more than larger plants. The bending on individual leaves for some of the plants like the tall thin one needs a little more work but i'm pretty satisfied for now.

GarBenjamin likes this.
  15. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

This is amazing!

No wonder some WIP threads never get a turn: this one is too amazing to leave out! either way, why not put in a sequence like when the T-Rex is chasing everyone in Jurassic Park! :D

16. Jaqal

Jaqal

Lol, thanks. Yeah that would be pretty cool. I haven't done a whole lot with the larger dinosaurs yet other than set up their animations and AI. Combat is going to be pretty tough with them as one bite will be the end. In the beginning you probably won't even want to get close. Although I have been working on some really cool big traps and weapons to help with the larger dinosaurs such as a Ballista that shoots sharpened logs.

GarBenjamin likes this.
  17. CrypticSmoke

CrypticSmoke

Dinosaurs+Survival.
    Why was this not a thing before?
    (Seriously though this looks freakin' rad.)

Jaqal likes this.
  18. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@CrypticSmoke: Exactly! It's time the DINOS got a turn! :D

Zombies, step aside... the sacred T-Rex is coming through... ;)

19. Ra1den

Ra1den

Wo0o0o That Tree Cutting Demo..... This somewhat reminds me of King Kong the video Game haha
    Love it!

Btw How did you manage to get such a realistic effect with the Tree cutting? o_O

20. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@Ra1den: he probably used some clever coding to "chop up" the verts, and when you have 5k polys for each tree... :D

Only a guess, though, I could be wrong... :) Also agree this is better than YAZG (Yet another zombie game, not a title, more of a phenomenon right now... I agree BTW! :D)

21. Ra1den

Ra1den

Ehhhhhh Sounds complicated :D

I wouldn't jump so far guys, who know's he might just end up putting zombie in the game.....
    Zombies + Dinosaurs :p lol

22. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@Ra1den: you know, not a bad idea. But what if... ZOMBIE DINOSAURS!!! MWA! HAHAHAH!

Ra1den likes this.
  23. Ra1den

Ra1den

Report this guy xD

24. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@Ra1den:
    I do hope this is sarcasm... :D

EDIT: Looked up "xD" must be! (I seriously need to work on forum language... :D)

25. Ra1den

Ra1den

@FuzzyQuills You're creativity is over 9000... I'm trying to save mankind dude :p

but besides that i really do think more than one threat in this game would make it interesting!
    Giant animals, Killer Fish, hazardous environments etc.

Jaqal likes this.
  26. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@Ra1den:
    Well thank you sir! Didn't expect that... :D
    ...And that makes the ultimate survival game! :)

And I am getting a FLOOD of replies today, I wonder why? Damn thursdays, probably... :D

Jaqal likes this.
  27. Jaqal

Jaqal

I certainly have more threats planned but no unfortunately zombies lol.

I plan on having a wide variety of animal life, a key element that I think other survival games lack. Besides the many species of dinosaurs there will be several different giant insects that survived during most of the Paleozoic era as well as diverse mammal life a long with other threats. Right now I have a scorpion setup I will show sometime but I plan on adding many others like the giant dragonfly and my fav the giant centipede that was around 8ft long!

28. Jaqal

Jaqal

The tree cutting was actually the second hardest thing iv'e had to do so far. The tree that gets cut is actually several meshes under one object. One for the trunk, stump and all the pieces being cut. The simplified version is when a weapon like the axe comes into contact with the mesh of the cut pieces they are destroyed and when enough go the whole LOD system is destroyed leaving the stump and trunk which has its gravity enabled so it then falls and turns into logs after a set time!

29. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@Jaqal: An 8ft long centipede? hmm... o_O I wonder if that will eat me... :D

30. Jaqal

Jaqal

They aren't exactly sure if it was a predator or not but modern giant centipedes eat mice and such so i'm probably going with that version! Plant eating giant centipedes just sounds a little boring but well see. I'm dreading the animations and AI for that thing...

Right now i'm working on a concept I came up with a few days ago. A sort a pre neanderthal creature that is completely nocturnal. Kind of a monkey cave man lol.I don't know how "realistic" it might be but I think it can add a ton to the game like them stealing unprotected resources and such.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
  31. FBTH

FBTH

Reminds me of the forest haha, looks easier to cut down a tree too :p

Jaqal likes this.
  32. Jaqal

Jaqal

Yea I actually own the forest and am really dissatisfied with the current release for many reasons. Even though it is a pre Alpha it just gets boring to fast. I am trying to not make the same mistakes. So far my tree system overall is less buggy and has a far wider variety of trees but it still needs a little work to look more realistic.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
  33. primus88

primus88

Wow, happy to see I'm not the only one that has this sentiment towards The Forest.
    Your game could go a long way man. I sincerely recommend to go on Greenlight as soon as you have a playable demo for people to try.

Best of luck!

Jaqal likes this.
  34. Ra1den

Ra1den

I'm guessing you gonna have some sort of food system so that the player has to always drink or eat something in awhile or die of hungry or dehydration right? :D .... Is the player gonna be all alone in the jungle? or will you allow the player to get some support from animals or maybe get something like a pet?

35. janpec

janpec

That sounds very cool having other animals besides dinosaurs aswel. Looking forward to this one looks promising. Not sure if i missed it but is this singleplayer or multiplayer project?

36. Jaqal

Jaqal

It's funny you mentioned that because I actually just finished up the framework for the hunger system last night. Right now you can get meat from from enemies that can be cooked and I have a simple fruit system on a few of the trees. I really like how Don't Starve did hunger as it was such a huge factor in that game. I died of starvation so many times when I first started playing but I really enjoyed having to keep a constant supply of food. I plan on doing something similar.

As far as the pets go I have always enjoyed having pets in other games and have contemplated implementing them as well. Maybe to guard your resources or even as a mount but I don't want to get to ahead of myself but it's definitely something I am considering!

37. Jaqal

Jaqal

Single player to start off but I am really shooting to implement multiplayer once I get that locked down. I am always considering multiplayer while building the single player game to make it easier to add later on. I am considering something along the lines of 4-8 people max. I can imagine taking on some larger dinosaurs with a group of friends!

38. JohnParask

JohnParask

Awesome work mate, it looks really awesome.

P.S I think you bought my inventory system, is that correct ? if yes are you using it ?

Jaqal likes this.
  39. Jaqal

Jaqal

Actually I haven't set up my inventory system completely. I just set up the system for picking up food and weapons yesterday and plan on working on the inventory system today. Once the inventory is setup the framework for the whole game will be complete and I can really start fleshing things out so it is my main focus right now.

- I am certainly planning on buying your system whether it will work with this project or not because from what Iv'e seen you have the best inventory system on the asset store!

JohnParask likes this.
  40. JohnParask

JohnParask

Your game is looking cool mate, just keep up the good job. If you purchase my system feel free to contact me for any problems, and we will make it work on your project ;)

Jaqal likes this.
  41. Sykoo

Sykoo

Nice looking game man! I just wonder:

Do you use Unity Pro? If not, how did you get the sun shafts? :O

Jaqal likes this.
  42. Jaqal

Jaqal

Yes, I purchased Pro about two months ago when I really started getting serious with this project.

43. Sykoo

Sykoo

Alright, thank you for the answer :) You're paying month-by-month right? And just for my personal thoughts, how old are you? If you're a student, where exactly did you find the money? :p Its pretty expensive too.

44. Jaqal

Jaqal

No problem.

I am 28 and I typically work around 6-8 months out of the year traveling the US working large construction jobs rigging on industrial cranes. That's where the money came from! The pay is great and all but it's not something I am passionate about. Also I have a family so I am giving this game development thing a shot hoping that I can stay closer to them while doing something I really love for work. An odd transition between jobs I know but I have been a hardcore gamer most of my life and it's always been my dream to develop games.

As things progress I plan on doing a steam greenlight as well as a kick starter to fund a small game development studio (if this release is successful at all) but I don't want to get ahead of myself!

IndieAner3d, Sykoo and Ra1den like this.
  45. Ra1den

Ra1den

@Jaqal

"small game development studio" The Indie Developer Dream right there :D
    I wish luck good sir.... I will be closely watching this project :p

Jaqal likes this.
  46. Jaqal

Jaqal

Yea I was hesitant to even say that because we all say that lol! I'm really just taking it one step at a time right now. Getting this game done and seeing if people will actually pay to play it is the first step!

47. fredr92

fredr92

Looks really cool , i really liked the tree chopping :)

Jaqal likes this.
  48. Sykoo

Sykoo

Thats epic to hear! Good luck on your journey, hope you become successfull in the development industry ! :)

Jaqal likes this.
  49. Jaqal

Jaqal

Sorry no update today guys. I got carried away doing some in game stuff...Building a small base area during runtime and testing out some mechanics on the large scale crafting. I did have a chance to get a quick video of most of it but won't have time to upload tonight. I will definitely get one up tomorrow.

Thanks for all of the support today it was very motivating!

50. Armideon

Armideon

This is marvelous. Reminds me of Turok which was a great game back in the day. keep it up Ill be sure to keep an eye out for the development of this project.