Search Unity

Survival game with about 200-300players, what network should i chose?

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Frillgame, May 26, 2016.

1. Frillgame

Frillgame

So, i am a beginner at Unity and my long term goal is to create a survival multiplayer game. There will be no single player option and the only way to play will be connecting to a server, so it´s a 100% multiplayer opted game where the focus will be surviving the envoirement and PVP integration. Think Rust, DayZ, H1Z1 type of game.

I have spent a few days reading up on how to approach this and have come to understand that for a main focused multiplayer game like this it is good to thing to start with the networking basics before you do anything else since the networking will be the foundation of the game. Else you will end up with a bunch of problems and scripts to rewrite later on to make it fit into the networking/multiplayer.

Basicly a bit of unnecessary time waste.

So my question are : There is a bunch of different networking assets you can buy in the asset store and also one included in unity 5.

Wich one would be recommended for my use?

2. Frillgame

Frillgame

No one knows about one that handles my specs good?

3. KyleOlsen

KyleOlsen

Use UNet :)

4. Whippets

Whippets

I too would say uNet. We know it has faults, and is being worked on by unity devs who want it to succeed. So far, NetworkServerSimple class has suited my needs for a dedicated server better than NetworkServer - as I don't need all that master-server stuff, or sync transforms. Rolled my own system for syncing objects.

5. yuliyF

yuliyF

6. Kamil-Says

Kamil-Says

If it's open world game, use photon MMO solution (OnPremise, custom Photon Server)

7. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hate Photon as hell, use UNET, u brain will blow;)

_FLX likes this.
  8. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Can we keep answers useful or don't reply. As others have pointed out, UNet is a work in progress. It's not suited to MMO work at the moment but this is the plan - see the roadmap for a better estimate. Currently, Photon is probably your best bet. You will also want to examine pricing for each of these. Running a 300 player server is far from cheap or problem free. I would worry running a 16 player server :)