Search Unity

Survival City: Zombie Apocalypse PC TPS Survival Game

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by JamesPro, Oct 20, 2012.

1. JamesPro

JamesPro

Survival City: Zombie Apocalypse is a Third Person Shooter mixed with MineCraft style building. You find your self stuck in a city after a Zombie Apocalypse and must attempt to stay alive. You can enter buildings in order to scavenge for supplies and weapons. You also have the ability to build a fort or Barricade your self in a Building. When Night falls Hordes of Zombies come out to play and eat.

Inspiration for this game comes from such titles as: Grand Theft Auto, Minecraft, StarForge, and other similar titles.

A Multiplayer Lobby based Mode with up to 40 Players will be added after the Single Player Survival Mode is playable. More details on the multiplayer mode will be added once I start work on it.

Most assets are rough Programmer art and will be upgraded once I get the game play in place. The City Buildings were bought online.

Screenshots and a Playable Alpha Build will be added shortly!

2. JamesPro

JamesPro

Here is a very quick Screenshot of the current Build:

$SurvivalCity.jpg

3. DLGScript

DLGScript

did you made the character by yourself?

4. JamesPro

JamesPro

No... It's just a placeholder. I downloaded a GTA style Character Controller that came with the character and all the weapons, weapon handling, weapon effects, ect. Once I get the game play in place I'll be looking for some 3D Modellers to help create our own assets and Props. Right now I'm using a Skeleton Model for the Zombies because I don't have a Zombie Model. Pretty cool looking behind you and seeing all these Skeletons chasing after you! lol

5. mamoniem

mamoniem

looks good so far , just keep on it ;)

6. SevenBits

SevenBits

Looking pretty decent so far.

7. JamesPro

JamesPro

Just a little Update:

I've got the Zombies (Skeletons) Spawning and chasing after the player. The Player can shoot and kill the zombies. I've got basic Ammo Crates spawning around the city to help refill your ammo (Right now ONLY AK-47 ammo crates spawn so your other weapons will run out of ammo). Constructing Bases currently works however it's not optimized at all so if you go crazy it will slow your FPS down alot. You can construct Missile Turrets that will lock on to the zombies and fire however they don't do any damage and the Missiles are never destroyed so they lag the game alot.

I'm currently working on adding Spotlights and a more advanced Zombie AI Script. The Spotlights will give you light around your base at night however they will also attract the Zombies when turned on. So while Light is needed you have to decide if having the light is worth the fire fight that WILL ensue as a result of the light.

8. kagecookeh

kagecookeh

Looks okay so far. How do you plan on making it so players can build? If it goes smooth it has potential be a really cool game!

9. JamesPro

JamesPro

Well like I said right now Building is already in the game however completely unoptimized. Right now it just creates full cubes each time you add a block. To Optimize it I will have to look into manually creating the mesh each time a block is added so that only the visible portions of the block are rendered. Never done anything with manually creating meshes in Unity before so it will be a learning experience that's for sure.

I will also be experimenting with easier and faster ways to build to make building as fun and easy as possible. I want to encourage Building rather then discourage it! lol

10. JamesPro

JamesPro

Here is a Screenshot looking down the main (So far the most developed Street) Street in the city at a total War Zone... 4 Missile Launchers are battling it out against a whole Horde of Zombies (I currently have it spawn 60 Zombies between 3 different Spawn Points - 20 Zombies spawn from each Spawn Point).

$SurvivalCity3.jpg

11. JamesPro

JamesPro

Here is another cool Screen Shot... This was from a different area in the city. If you look down the street in the Right side of the Screenshot you can see the Missile Launchers from the Previous Screenshot.

$SurvivalCity4.jpg

12. reaper2259

reaper2259

looks good so far but why is the character and zombies so small?

13. JamesPro

JamesPro

They aren't small. The Road Texture and Turrets just aren't scaled correctly since they are just place holders. The character and Zombies are scaled correctly compared to the Buildings and the street is really wide to allow for Driving Vehicles easier.

14. janpec

janpec

JamesPro is this similar style of gameplay to Day Z mod?

15. JamesPro

JamesPro

Sort of... In fact that was one of the Games I saw Let's played. I've never personally played it so I'm not entirely sure what it's like. As far as I know it was 1st person and there was no Building in it so I believe Survival City will be Different then it... Jan, You should know about me from our Days working together on RoH, that I'm ALL about Player Freedom. I want to create a world or in this case a City in which the player is free to go out explore and create their own story in. For that to work out the whole Building feature was very important to get in and get done right. I've been working on some new Building Cameras to allow for easier Building and other Building Features that should make it a fun part of the game.

16. janpec

janpec

Yeh ofcourse i remember, thats why i was curius and asking on first place becouse i know you are capable developer. How do you plan to separate players and world? I am wondering becouse if you said that player can build stuff, how would built stuff be shared over all servers? Would people on server x see what some player build on server y even if they are not together on same server?
    The other thing how do you plan to really combine style of "minecraft" player building and default already pre-placed models that are not cubic but rather more detailed? It doesnt seem to go along well. Maybe you should rather consider building with wooden planks and wood in general, it should fit better.

17. supermanisba

supermanisba

is this for only PC? or for mac too.
    The reason i ask this is because there are many mac users out there (like me) who would like to play this game too (when it comes out)

:cool:

18. leoarmstead

leoarmstead

do you need help with anything please add me on skype if so im a modeler leonardarmstead