Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Support our project in Kickstarter

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by guede-91, Jun 21, 2016.

1. guede-91

guede-91

SUPPORT US ON KICKSTARTER

SPACE TRIP 2 is a videogame that consists in a space shooter de un shooter where you will need to travel since the earth to neptune, where you will be able to:

-Destroy the enemy spaceships
    - To shoot asteroids
    - Defeat final bosses
    - customize your vehicle
    - Much more

If everything goes as expected the game will be first available for android with future expansions to PC, linux, MAC and IOS

We would like to get support in our campaign on KICKSTARTER

You can also find us on Twitter , Facebook or on Our Website

Greetings and thanks in advance​

Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
    RavenOfCode likes this.
  2. Schneider21

Schneider21

Daniel (presumably),

Congratulations on the success of your previous game! It's no small feat to finish a game and get it out the door, so be proud of yourself for that at the very least.

You've probably noticed by now that your Kickstarter campaign has failed to generate any interest. There are likely a number of reasons for this, several of which I'll try to go over here. The point of this is not to berate you or make you feel bad. When you're really attached to something, it can be difficult to separate yourself from it and see it the way your potential consumer does, and that's the insight I'm trying to provide to you now.

The Game Itself
    Space Trip 1 looks like a great first game to have published. It also hasn't been that long since Space Trip 1 released (February, if I'm not mistaken), and the "sequel" looks so far to be only a marginally improved version of that. More of a 1.5 than a fully-fledged sequel. The last update to the first game was less than a month ago, in fact.

The graphics are serviceable, but really underwhelming. I suggest you really crank it up to 11 and have much bigger explosions and particle effects, bright and flashy weapon effects, etc. As an arcade shooter, it just feels kind of flat.

It's also not clear what separates your game from any of the thousands of other games like it. What are you doing with Space Trip that no one else is doing. In other words, as a consumer, why should I care about your game? What is its raison d'être, if you will.

The Kickstarter Campaign
    These are hard and take a ton of effort and time. But there are a lot of things that all failed campaigns share, and things between successful ones, too. It's probably too late to fix these things now, but if you intend to re-run the campaign, here are things to keep in mind for the next time:

Your Video
    - Your first impression is made with your video. Many people will come to the page and start watching, and if they're not on board within the first 30 seconds, you've lost them. In your case, the video almost perfectly captures the issues with your entire campaign, so I'm going to actually circle back around to it after we've covered those points.

Lack of Personality - People like Kickstarter because it lets them feel connected to the product and the team behind it. You mention your team members, but that's about it. Show us your smiling faces, tell us about your past achievements, etc.

Translation Problems - It's obvious English isn't your first language. That's fine. But broken English is often interpreted as unintelligent and unprofessional in the US, and you'll lose plenty of potential backers from that alone. If you have a native English speaking friend available, have them proof read your text and make adjustments. If you don't, consider hiring one for a small fee from a local university or someplace.

Confusing Funding Goal - You're asking for $563 USD, which is peanuts in game development. You indicate that 8% ($45) is going towards development, and 50% towards advertising. This suggests the game is actually done and you just want money to promote it, rather than to fund its creation. That's not really what Kickstarter is about.

Unattractive Reward Tiers
    -
    • $6 to get my name in the credits - This should be the $1 tier.
    • $23 for an Android-only beta - I only have an iPhone.
    • $45 for an ad-free version of the game - These typically cost $1-5 in the App Store. How much were you planning on selling the game for on release?
    • $68 for a T-shirt - For what amounts to (and I mean no offense) the logos of an unknown developer and an unknown game
    Your Website - You have placeholder posts on the homepage, and your Games page lists 4 other games in active development. Probably a bit much for a 2.5 man team to take on... The site itself is kind of messy and suggests a lack of professionalism (I get it, but your average potential backer may not) Even small stuff like the email address on your Contact Us page not being clickable can be enough to discourage backers from thinking you have the ability to succeed and placing their trust in you.

Twitter Promotion
    - It's good that you're promoting the campaign, but it looks like you're mostly just hashtag spamming instead of reaching out to journalists or talking about the game's features or anything. And you also quite often misuse hashtags, such as with #SupportIndieFilm and #linux.

Risks and Challenges - Everyone screws this up, so don't feel bad. The question is "What are the risks and challenges this project faces, and what qualifies you to overcome them?". This is a place for you to be open and honest with your potential consumers and prove that you do understand your place in the market, what kind of problems you're likely to run into, and what your plan is for overcoming that.

Updates - You posted a few (better than what many do!), but updates need to be much more regular (every 1-3 days max) and reveal something new or go into more detail on something you already discussed briefly. Address the campaign's status, even if it's not doing well (but stay optimistic!) or it makes you seem really disconnected from the whole thing.

Okay, so back to the video...

Sum up everything above, and apply it to your video. Does your video get people excited about your game and describe why it's important and people should care? Does it tell your story of who you are and why you want to do what you're doing? Does it get people excited and make them want to spend their money? Does it look professional and really sell your qualifications, building trust with your consumer? Does it get people excited?

- - -

While researching this, I also saw you had a few other failed campaigns, so I'm glad to see you're not giving up! But I hope this input and advice is useful for your next attempt and that you take it into consideration. Best of luck with finishing and releasing Space Trip 2! Keep us updated!

3. digiexpertos

digiexpertos

I have seen it and it looks great. Good luck with your project!!

4. Jim_West

Jim_West

Sorry, but no, not gonna happen. It looks like game made for fun just to learn game development, which is fine.
    But don't expect somebody to give you money for it. It doesn't look good, the framerate of the video is terrible an it looks like every ordinary space shooter.

Sorry for that harsh comment but thats my honest oponion.

5. guede-91

guede-91

Ok Thank you anyway. I will count on your opinion and i will try to work harder on it. I am thinking maybe in including real time multiplayer in order to distinguish it from the rest of the space shooter

Thanks for your response anyway

Gretings

6. guede-91

guede-91

Thank you very much for your reply! :) I am glad you liked it

7. guede-91

guede-91

Ok, thank you for the information :)

8. digiexpertos

digiexpertos

You are welcome. sorry that I didn't backed it but I am a bit broke this month :) I wish you good luck anyway with your project

9. guede-91

guede-91

it is ok don't worry anyway. Thank you for you support and for everybody that commented in the post :)