Search Unity

Super Mario Bros. In First Person - Free Download - MAC and PC

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by ZeroFolio, Nov 10, 2013.

1. ZeroFolio

ZeroFolio

$Title.png
    After six months of development, I have completed a playable version of Super Mario Brothers. In First Person, created in Unity.

Screenshots:
    $02.png
    $03.png
    $04.png
    $05.png

This is my first game release, not for sale or resale. Compatible with Logitech Dual Action Game Pad, and requires at least 2GB of free space to install. Comments and criticism welcome. If you like the game, be sure to like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter. Enjoy.

Download

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
    XCO, Faylaakawi and GibTreaty like this.
  2. carking1996

carking1996

Pics? Video? We're not just downloadin' a random file. ;)

3. ZeroFolio

ZeroFolio

Ah; fair enough. I'll edit the first post with a few photos. Unfortunately, I don't have any videos just yet.

4. raiden

raiden

I just took the Mac version for a run, I have to say as an "old school" gamer, you've done a great job taking a classic and giving it a new look and feel. The graphics, sounds, everything was spot on, I did however find myself viewing the minimap while playing the game.

All in all, very good job!

-Raiden

5. ZeroFolio

ZeroFolio

Hey, thanks for playing, Raiden. I consider myself an "old school" gamer, as well, having grown up with these games and systems that have had such an impact on my life. Most people end up using the minimap, but there is a way to disable it in the options for a little added challenge.

6. ZeroFolio

ZeroFolio

Pardon the double-post, but could I possibly get more feedback? I've edited the first post to include a few gameplay screenshots.

7. order66

order66

Can you make a webplayer? Maybe with reduced textures or something, so that it is not 2GB big!

8. ZeroFolio

ZeroFolio

I've attempted using a webplayer version in the past, when the game was in earlier development stages, and it seemed to struggle with keeping up with itself as more content was added; while lowering the texture sizes would help, it would hardly be playable.

The installer is only 30MB for Pc, and the 60MB for Mac; it's just the installed version that takes up just under 2GB in the programs folder.

9. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

This looks epic! This is something Nintendo obviously didn't think of, anyone agree?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  10. FoxysGamesBah

FoxysGamesBah

played it was cool sure it took lot a work n great job.. just can u pls throw in another side 3rd person angle wud be awesome to play fro, dat angle

11. ZeroFolio

ZeroFolio

They might have, but probably didn't want to risk the possible legal issues with the disorienting movement. Thanks for downloading, and thanks for the feedback.

That's a possibility for V3; it would make judging distances a bit easier, but also means that I would need to model Mario, as well. Thanks for downloading, and thanks for the feedback.

12. order66

order66

How about that webplayer?

13. Marrrk

Marrrk

2GB to install, why is that?

14. Silly_Rollo

Silly_Rollo

This is pretty amazing. You nailed the presentation and really pulled off your concept. The controls are a little rough. I find either I'm just staring at the minimap or its hard to judge. If possible adding some mario legs would help judging jumping or at least a character shadow for jumps.

15. ZeroFolio

ZeroFolio

I've already explained that the webplayer version isn't stable; sorry.

Honestly, the bulk of the game is World 1-2, due to all of the Brick Blocks. All the models used in the game have low to average poly counts, but there are just so many in that level that it becomes rather heavy. After I've gotten enough feedback, and done quite a bit of research on the matters at hand, I'll have a stronger focus on the file size.

Hey, thanks for playing, and thanks for the feedback. I found that the game controls are much tighter with the controller than the keyboard, but I'm hoping to add a button configuration in Version 3. As for the suggestion, this is known as "true first-person", when you're able to see limbs or accessories of the character. As such, this would also require a model of Mario, which I have no qualms with attempting to make, but there would need to be a significant desire for that feature. Then again, I could potentially make it something that can be toggled.

16. ZeroFolio

ZeroFolio

Speaking of which, be sure to mention what features you'd like to see in Version 3.0, which I'll develop after some time is spent on other projects; your opinion influences the outcome of this game.

17. ZeroFolio

ZeroFolio

Hey, we reached 350 downloads today; thanks for the support, everyone.

18. laskiapina2

laskiapina2

The game started with a wrong resolution and my monitor couldn't handle it. Too usual problem these days. If you don't make your own start-up config screen, please use Unity's own.

19. ZeroFolio

ZeroFolio

That's rather bizarre; it wouldn't even allow you to reach the main menu, where you can change the resolution?

20. SpiceyNips

SpiceyNips

Wow, more fantastic than I thought. I highly recommend downloading. Made really well, and is really fun.

ZeroFolio likes this.
  21. realghetto

realghetto

one thing i learned in life (while selling multi-million dollar yachts for 10 years) is... sometimes, people just want to do things for the hell of it.... it doesn't always equal money. Thanks for this, it was fun!

Rodolfo-Rubens and ZeroFolio like this.
  22. ZeroFolio

ZeroFolio

Hey, thanks for playing, and I'm glad you two liked it.

This game reached 10,000 downloads a couple months ago, and I couldn't be more humbled. Really, everyone; thanks so much for making this possible.

23. Houseless Rob

Houseless Rob

It's telling me I gotta log in... What's up with that? I can't even go to the site to register...

24. ZeroFolio

ZeroFolio

Sorry about that; the site was undergoing a huge overhaul, so I had to make it private for a few days. I brought it back once I finished on February 1st, so you should be able to access the site no problem now, if you haven't already.

Thanks for helping make this game reach 30k downloads, everyone!

25. zenGarden

zenGarden

It's copy of the same game made with Unreal 3.

26. Karamvir

Karamvir

Just downloading it right now....I was thinking that if you make 3rd person view too like we could see Mario too .....obviously from the present line of sight Mario would hide everything up but you can raise the camera to a 45° top shot.....it will look awesome.....if you already have that in your game then my bad....bcoz I am commenting even before playing it.......
    Plus since game has been made in unity I thing changing the camera angle wont be difficult all you have to do extra is add a Mario to the view

27. XCO

XCO

Great Idea :D

28. ZeroFolio

ZeroFolio

I was actually unaware of a first-person Mario game having been made in Unreal; I'll have to check it out.

I've been getting the "Add a third-person view" request a lot, so it's very likely to be in the final version of the game.

Thanks; glad you like it!

29. zenGarden

zenGarden

You just copied the game levels also

Anywy , Nintendo characters and sounds , music are copyright, so you should stop your game.

30. ZeroFolio

ZeroFolio

Ah, I've actually seen that video before; my mistake. Although, it's not where I got the idea from; that credit goes to Freddie Wong and Brandon Laatsch, since it was based on a video they made in 2011.

I'm aware that Nintendo owns the characters, sounds, and music (although I created the models and textures myself), and as such, I don't claim to own any of it, nor is it for sale or resale. I don't really get what you mean by "stop your game", but I can almost guarantee you that I won't.

Zaddo67 likes this.
  31. zenGarden

zenGarden

You are using their materials : name, sounds, characters etc ... they can stop you if they want, free games based on a license have been stopped in the past.
    Do what you want, it's not my problem.

ZeroFolio likes this.
  32. ZeroFolio

ZeroFolio

Sure isn't. Thanks for stopping by~

33. CaoMengde777

CaoMengde777

LOL i hate idiots like that... whats it to them?

this looks AWESOME

34. ZeroFolio

ZeroFolio

I don't mind it. To each his own, really. And, thanks; after I've given some more thought to a couple other projects, I'm likely to start working on the final version.

35. Train

Train

The game looks good but one in all, Nintendo is angry about it, thats for sure!

36. ZeroFolio

ZeroFolio

Oh? What makes you say that?

37. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

At this point it seems to depend on where you are located. Nintendo of japan announced a few months back they are officially changing their stance on fan made Let's Plays, Game Music Covers, and Fan Art. They are supporting it heck even offering a way to help you to make money from it. However, the west hasn't done the same thing at least as far as I know. The last I read they were still goin after youtubers even who were simply showing videos of themselves playing Nintendo games. Not surprising as over here (USA at least) it seems to always come down to money money, lawyers and C&D letters.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  38. ZeroFolio

ZeroFolio

Ah, I'm terribly out of the loop, then. I just feel as though I'm so far below Nintendo's level of awareness - considering the small nature of this game - I'd never expect to receive something like a cease and desist letter. It's just something I've done for fun that a handful of people seem to have liked~

39. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

Personally, I think your fan game project is cool. I updated my post above because with further research I found that even in Japan they only allow fan works for Let's Plays, Game Music Covers, and Fan Art. I think the Let's Plays are the videos showing people playing Nintendo games. Maybe one day they will fully embrace fan made games worldwide especially for their older works.

Anyway, I wasn't trying to rain on your parade. Just throwing out some info I came across a couple months back. As someone who enjoys retro gaming I always am interested in this kind of thing.

I wish all of the companies like Taito and so forth who made arcade games years ago would release all of their old stuff into the PD. lol I'd have a ton of fun with that having access to all of the graphics for games like Rastan. We can dream. ;)

ZeroFolio likes this.
  40. ZeroFolio

ZeroFolio

No rain, here; the way you presented information is completely different from the way zenGarden did, and I genuinely appreciate it.

And, I'm glad you like the game~

GarBenjamin likes this.
  41. Geoffpool

Geoffpool

Awesome game, for some reason it keeps automatically looking down, any ideas on how to fix that?

42. fureure68

fureure68

the game is good but it would be necessary:
    -Possibility to configure the keys.
    -that the "window" mode works.
    -more level
    -and why not mini games

Thank you for listening and good luck

43. Altenburger

Altenburger

Hi,

I'm curious about copyright issues and the general process of applying for your rights. Is there any official guide/terms by Nintendo?

44. talofen

talofen

Grave-digging an already gravedigged thread. Last posts from OP were from 2015...I doubt you will have much feedback.