Search Unity

Super Awesome - Hard core, super meat boy like 2D platformer for mobiles

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by Curry_, Nov 23, 2014.

1. Curry_

Curry_

Hello everybody

I wanted to show my very first game I ever created (actually it's the very first thing I've ever programmed).
    The game is Super Awesome:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.leaghorn.superAwesomeFree

promoGraphics.png

Game is greatly inspired by Super Meat Boy which IMO is one of the best games in decade. It's really chellenging, you die a lot and still you cant stop playing.
    Thats what I tried to achieve in my game. I'va actually lost to many hours on playing my own game while testing :D
    I tried to make expirience as exciting as SMB and yet as intuitive and responsive so it could be played comfortably on touch screan.
    I also added fully customisable joypad support so it's possible to connect any pad and play with it.

I've just finished it yesterday, so I dont have a trailer yet but here are some screenshots:

1.png 5.png 9.png 14.png

As about game creating, a friend made me art for cutscenes, I bought the music online, and I did the rest.

I started in december 2013.
    I bought a book on C+ programming thinking about making some games (I knew some basic before. I knew how to make some simple dos console aps, like " give number: X, give number Y, result is: (X+Y) :D I knew how FOR, IF and all conditionals worked and I knew the very basic of structural programming. Opjective programming, objects, classes was pure magic then).
    At first I thought about Cocos engine.
    I learned for about a month and in the middle of january I starded using Cocos. Actualy started to trying using it. As a complete programming noob it was way to hard for me to even compile properly "Hello world". After two weeks fighting with it, trying to configure it properly with no succes I gave up. I almost gave up completely on game dev, it was so frustrating for me.
    But as a last resort, I tried Unity. I didnt think anything serious about continuing my game dev in unity as I thoutht that Unity is 3D and I wanted 2D. But I checked it just so my conscience was clear.
    And I was really suprised that there was 2D support. So after an evening playing with Unity I thought I will give it a try.
    I got a book on C#, and as I knew C++ in theory, I just learned the differences in 1-2 days.
    After that I started my project with a start of february.
    Well, actually I started THIS project at the end of february, because everyting I did in february (there wasnt anything serious at that moment) I lost in a SSD failure. As it was SSD not HDD all data was completely unrecoverable. It was actualy very good thing that happened, as I learned to make backups on daily basis. (I can't even imagine what would happened if this SSD failure was ex. a month ago, when I spent 9 months on a game, havent made a single backup [And if not that february failure I probably wouldnt] and all that work would be gone. Unimaginable nightmare!)
    But after a failure I got to work. I learned how to use graphics programs, Unity, programmingin practice from scratch. It was a bumpy ride but I've absolutely loved it. If I could make games like that for a living it would be a dream come true. Is this a beggining of that dream? Time will tell ;)

Mechanics of the game are rather simple. Its a platformer game like SMB. The main goal is to collect the GOLD coin which finishes the level. There also two additional coins on each level but they are hidden or hard to collect so its a bit of a chellange to get them. And on every level there is a 4th coin that can be obtained whem a level is finished within its time limit.

I published a game yesterday. Everybody who likes platforming games and chellenges is welcome to try.
    There is also a Pro version. Differences over Free versions are:
    - cheaper stuff i to buy for coins collected in game (cheats and power ups)
    - no ads (in free versions there is an ad once in a while when starting/restarting level)

This is my very first project. I did almost everything myself as I couldnt afford to delegate any work to someone else. I've put everything on one card, I've lived of my savings for that whole time, and after buing all licences and keep on living all this time I'm all dried out on funds so I couldn't even think about delegating beta testing or anything like that. I tried my best to beta test it as good as I could, but I imagine there are some bugs, so any feedback is greatly appreciated.
    As I released an Android versions, now I have to make a trailer, but after that I will port this to iOS and WP and maybe Steam.

Also, I started facebook and twitter yesterday. I've never actualy used any of these so I'm learning what are those and how to use them. If anyone could share expirience on what could I do using these two to maybe promote my game a little it wolud also be much appreciated, as for now its pure magic for me.
    https://www.facebook.com/LeaghornStudio
    https://twitter.com/Leaghorn

//sorry for my english. I'm from Poland so my native is polish, but I'm trying my best ;)

hippocoder likes this.
  2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Congratulations on finishing the game :)

3. Curry_

Curry_

Hey. Thanks. Feel free to check it out ;)

It will take some time for me to make a proper trailer but I made some gamplay and interface footage:

4. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

Looks good. Getting the controls perfected is the key to making this a great game, looks like you're there.

5. tatelax

tatelax

Certainly looks a lot better than my first game. Congratulations!

6. Curry_

Curry_

7. Vetpetmon

Vetpetmon

Nice game, used SMB design, only that I am creating a game like that one...

8. Vetpetmon

Vetpetmon