Search Unity

SUIMONO Water System - 2.0 BETA Announcement

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by chingwa, Nov 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John-G

John-G

Found the issue: Here is the saved preset with error:

My Ocean (0.00,0.00,0.00,0.05)(1.00,0.75,0.22,0.17)(0.37,0.76,0.86,0.00)(0.51,0.66,0.86,0.00)(0.21,0.41,0.64,0.00)(0.08,0.24,0.49,1.00)(0.67,0.92,1.00,0.83)(0.60,0.98,0.00,0.72)(0.83,0.83,0.83,0.41)(0.91,0.89,0.82,1.00)(0.73,1.00,0.94,0.27)(0.46,0.91,1.00,0.63)(0.24,0.34,0.32,0.00)(0.00,1.00,0.79,0.18)(05.000)(00.038)(00.829)(00.057)(00.000)(00.859)(00.850)(00.535)(00.224)(00.238)(00.060)(00.000)(00.000)(01.000)(00.030)(00.247)(01.000)(00.850)(00.810)(00.065)(01.050)(00.149)(00.300)(00.080)(00.080)(00.662)(00.280)(00.741)(03.440)(00.223)(00.004)(05.000)(00.001)(00.568)(00.000)(00.000)(01.000)(00.312)(00.513)(00.430)(00.019)(00.000)(00.000)(00.000)(00.780)(01.000)(234.000)(00.213)(00.279)(00.162)(00.000)(00.553)(00.417)(00.000)(00.000)(00.000)(00.000)(00.000)(00.000)(00.000)(00.000)

The error is in Bold changed it to 23.000 and error is gone.

2. chingwa

chingwa

Thanks, glad you found it! The data seems related to the flow direction.... seems it isn't clamping the data correctly. I'll get it fixed, but in the meantime you should keep the flow Direction degrees to "99" and below.

3. janpec

janpec

Chingwa when can we see some screens of new update?

4. John-G

John-G

I would say it was the Flow direction alright, I was matching it to my clouds wind direction at the time.
    Figured out a few tricks to get the farclip issue I was having limited to 1000M for the DX11 ocean (While still having the cameras farclip set at 1000 for sumiono).
    Can now have an ocean as large as required with no loss in FPS.
    Done some simple tests for camera at different heights :)

Camera at 10M

Camera at 100M

Camera at 1000M

Still have an issue with large waves when close to water plane and wave is rendered above horizon, truesky removes the water above the horizon.
    But its almost working 100% for my requirements. Hopefully that can be resolved down the road.

5. trudeaudm

trudeaudm

How difficult would it be to modify this to use in a spherical usage then? For instance if you were going to do it how long would you expect to have to spend work on modifying it?

6. reocwolf

reocwolf

I'm having an issue. I'm using Adventure Camera and Rig and when I use Suimono the camera goes all crazy. I think the issue is that suimono is looking for a camera directly and the camera is just a child of the rig. IDK how to solve it though. Need help. I've got a massive headache.

7. chingwa

chingwa

Reocwolf - have you tried defining the camera in Suimono explicitly? You can do this by dragging the scene camera that "Adventure Camera" is using onto the "scene camera object" slot on the SUIMONO_Module object. Then try playing your scene and see if that helps. Since it seems this is also a 3rd person controller (right?) you can drag your character object onto the "scene track object" slot on the same module.

If the above doesn't help then maybe you can send me a screenshot of how the scene and camera objects are setup? I'm not familiar with the Adventure Camera asset. You can email me directly at konnichiwa[at]tanukidigital.com if it's more convenient.

John G. - Looking good man! If you send me an email I can send you a couple updated scripts that should now fix the saving of flow presets. These will of course be rolled into the next update as well.

trudeaudm -I'd think that a water system really should be designed with a large planet/spherical world in mind from the beginning to really take advantage of it's particular challenges. Timeframe would be very hard to judge without knowing what kind of obstacles you'd face... but I'd imagine it would take quite a while.

8. reocwolf

reocwolf

Suimonoscreen.jpg Suimonoscreen1.jpg Suimonoscreen.jpg Suimonoscreen1.jpg Suimonoscreen2.jpg Suimonoscreen3.jpg Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, I did reference the camera and the character. Here's a screenshot. Also theres another issue that wasn't happening to me in 0.87 with the reflections.

9. chingwa

chingwa

I can't tell exactly what's happening, but it seems the camera is maybe reversed? Can you try clicking the "use uv reversal" setting on the Module object... sometimes the camera uvs will get switched, depending on your camera mode and image effects etc.

10. John-G

John-G

Got the Ocean scaling (Not restricted to 1000M farclip of camera) via script now, so as camera height increases ocean is scaled dynamically :D.
    Still needs some slight adjusting for correct transitions/camera heights but pretty close as is.
    Small issue with ocean jitter as each transition scales - but overall not bad at all, I'm quite satisfied with the results.
    Water was set to max wave height to show effect at most noticeable transitions - the calmer the water the less noticeable the effect of jitter ;).

TemplarGFX likes this.
  11. Archania

Archania

looking really impressive John!

John-G likes this.
  12. Teila

Teila

Will this require you use DX11? I want people with lower specs to be able to play our game so am concerned about this. Thanks.

13. chingwa

chingwa

John G - that's looking great! :D So you did a custom solution to scale it up as altitude increases?

Teila - it doesn't require dx11, though the waves look nicer with it because of the tesellation function. It's a simple switch on the main module and you can choose between unity, unity pro, unity pro dx11, iphone, android versions. Suimono should automatically handle the correct shader allocation.

14. Teila

Teila

Thanks!! :) Glad I misunderstood.

15. SuperNewbee

SuperNewbee

Does anyone know if the underwater sound works in version .88? I have a single splash working fine but I cant figure out how to play my underwater sound effect continuously in a loop.

I tried creating a rule for it and also tried adding the underwater sound to slot in _sound_effects

Thanks

16. chingwa

chingwa

Currently the underwater sound slot hasn't been integrated, so even if you put a water sound in that slot it won't work. I should have this up and running in the next beta.

However, alternatively you could attach an fx_object prefab to your camera, with an underwater sound, and set the rule to initialize when the water depth > 0.0. I haven't tested this but there's no reason it shouldn't work as this is exactly the type of creative use the fx system was designed for.

EDIT! Nevermind, there are some bugs preventing this from working correctly... it's forcing sound selection from the splash sound fx pool which is why it isn't playing the defined sound correctly. I'll have this fixed in the next update.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
  17. ThunderTruck

ThunderTruck

Hi, I have tested the beta version 0.87 for months, I have also modified the foam to make it animate and casual. Water waves and ocean so close to perfection really fantastic.
    I'll be back from vacation and try the version 0.88 ...AAAARGGHHH!!!
    I have no words for now I'm too sad, a real disaster, the framerate dropped by 90% (unusable in my scenes)
    full of bug in saving preferences, water waves, foam, colors and everything got worse. You save only caustics, specular and hot specular hot.
    I should be more detailed, but as I said I'm too sad now.
    In any case, I suggest you take back the 0.87 version and change only caustics and specular.

18. John-G

John-G

Running version 0.88 and have no issues saving presets all selections saving ok.
    Even foam speed and wave speed saving for each preset.
    I created 12 different presets with slight changes between each to represent the 12 states of Beaufort Scale and all work perfect when switching between them.

I think the issue with frame rate is the buoyancy, I had a similar issue using the scene provided. Once I disabled the boat and buoyancy the scene played perfect.

Really like the sound of your animated foam, how did you achieve it?

19. chingwa

chingwa

ThunderTruck - it certainly SOUNDS like something may not have updated correctly. There were a number of changes made in the shaders but the intent was to improve the visuals, and I think it's accomplished that. There are some changes made to the presets as well, but all the settings should be working and saving properly. Have you tried opening in a blank project? Or completely uninstalling 0.87 from your project and then installing version 0.88?

I'd hate to think you're unhappy with the new version... feel free to send me some screenshots of the setup/problems on your end, and I'll do what I can to make sure it's setup correctly.

You can always re-download 0.87 from my website too if that version just works better for you.

John G. - That Beaufort scale setup sounds awesome, and I had been intending to do that for quite a while... just haven't gotten around to it. I'm currently looking into performance improvements on that boat setup... something certainly went wacky there in the demo.

20. John-G

John-G

Cheers chingwa, just some small changes to the script like changing the Deep wave height name to Beaufort scale and its range to 12 to represent all the levels.

The Ocean Scale increases the standard ocean size of 1000x1000 by a magnitude of 1 to 1000 as the camera height increase from sea level.

Beaufort Scale 0

Beaufort Scale 12

Still have to figure out how to correctly scale the waves to realworld values, I'm not sure if the following from the SuimonoObjecy.js scripts controls it or is it within the shaders?

I've set the value to 16.0 to represent waves of 16Meters (48Feet) but does not seem to increase the waves amplitude. What would be the correct method to change the waves height?

Code (JavaScript):
    1. //Calculate Waves
    2.     //if (Application.isPlaying){
    3.         useWaveHt = Mathf.Lerp(0.0001,16.0,(waveHeight/10.0)*waveFac);
    4.         thisrendererComponent.sharedMaterial.SetFloat("_WaveHeight",floatRound(useWaveHt));

Also is it possible to have the waves from a more crest like wave (following flow direction) an the the height increases rather than having them a pure sine wave. It would be fantastic to have an adjustment for this effect to create more realistic waves under different wind conditions.
    What would be the best method to implement sea spray from waves crests in Suimono using the nex FX-System.

EDIT: One more question, are flowmaps used in new version for shore waves. Can't figure out how to apply my shoremap to suimono.

Ok after reading the Doc's I see its auto generated. But the shorelineObjectGenerator does not appear to function correctly for me.
    Here is an image showing the generated flow map vs the manual one I created as used by previous versions. This may be generating wrong as initial DX11 ocean is 1000x1000 and does not touch the shorelines untill camera is moved towards shoreline or I scale the ocean.
    Does the Auto Flowmap generator look a t the Terrain as a whole and generate where the ocean intersects?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
    TemplarGFX likes this.
  21. chingwa

chingwa

That's looking nice. The beaufort scale chart is very illuminating. :)

The easiest way to do crests is to simply change the heightfield texture to one that has a sharper waveform... or use levels on the current texture to sharpen the height areas. However this would not allow you to blend from softer waves to sharper waves. I suppose it might be possible to either do a texture blur on the shader to automatically soften the heightfield, or to simply blend between two different heightfield textures... but to be honest the texture operations are almost maxed out on the shaders already! :(

I had not put much thought into sea spray...hmmm. I suppose you could instantiate a rotating grid of fx_objects that follows the camera position, and are clamped to the wave height... then have a rule that tells them to emit when they go above a certain height threshold. I do a similar grid/pool of objects for the caustic lighting. If you play the scene and then watch in scene view as you move the camera around you can see the caustic objects repositioning themselves.

There is a shoreline flowmap that is generated on play, and is used to determine the shoreline/shallow waves settings. It only uses the red and green channel... it isn't a flowmap really, it's more accurately a depth map. If you have your own flowmap you can turn off the "Suimono_flowGenerator" component on the shorelineObject subobject. Then just add your own texture to the "_Flowmap" slot on the Suimono_object shader. I should probably rename that to "DepthMap" at some point to avoid confusion.

22. chingwa

chingwa

Oops I see you added some info as I was replying...

The generated texture is in local space to the ocean surface/grid, so having a texture for the entire terrain will not match up correctly and you'll start getting waves in places you don't want them... so the resizing of the ocean as you ascend/descend is probably messing it up, yes.

There is a manual "Generate Map" function which you could call when resizing the ocean, though for it to be done in realtime the resolution of the map needs to be made much smaller for performance reasons. I'm wondering why the map isn't generating correctly for you...?

This could possibly be redone using a depth-based rendertexture camera... which would break non-pro compatibility.

23. ThunderTruck

ThunderTruck

Oh God, I have reinstalled all in a new project and now working as expected (stunning visual). sorry but I was a little scared, by the time I'm waiting for the final version of suimono 2 which I consider the best simulation of ocean water and not only of Unity. In fact, I'm testing with all of the most well known extensions.
    In my scene I use Pirate Island all with SkyShop and Alloy material and Environement Gator...
    I Have tested also Time of Day and TrueSky and other assets.

For animate foam I modified and added a texture to the foam and mixed together in ping-pong fading...
    Here you can see some videos that I'm uploading:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/bountykiller70/videos

For the presets there is an little error when changing the direction of the foam that exceeding 99

FormatException: Unknown char: (
    double.Parse (string, System.Globalization.NumberStyles, System.IFormatProvider) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System/Double.cs:209)

For example if select 101, it is saved as 101,000 and the parsing give the above error. I have temporarily solved by changing the preset ........ txt file and the value to 101.00.
    It seems unimportant but suimono don't work when the scene start if the preset with the error is selected and is not possible to build the scene...

Hope I was clear.
    Sorry again Suimono 2 is fantastic

Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
  24. chingwa

chingwa

ThunderTruck - YAY! I'm really glad it's working for you now. I was almost positive that noone would be preferring version 0.87 over 0.88 :D

Just to make sure... are you talking about the foam speed setting (which goes from 0.0 to 1.0) or are you really talking about the flow direction setting? There's a known bug (just as you described) with the direction setting which is fixed in the next version. For now,just make sure you don't set it beyond 99 when you save a preset or it will corrupt the save file.

25. ThunderTruck

ThunderTruck

flow direction...
    Sorry, I have correct the post and also now I have read a previous post when you already talking about this

26. chingwa

chingwa

Got it! hahaha.

27. Morfeuskiev

Morfeuskiev

Hi, chingwa.

I am very glad to see your work every time. But i have two question for you, if you do not mind:
    1) Now i used Time of Day. TOD used projector for clouds shadows. So.... when projector (unity standart) enable - your water is invisible. I tested on two version - 0.87, 0.88. When i goto projector settings and enable layer mask - water. Dont work the same. But if i turn on "Everything", but turn off for Terrain - water works Fine. Do you mean what is this?
    2) You water - is one of the best water asset of the asset store. But:
    a) Improved many new function - very good. But do not forget about the performance. Performance of 0.88 is very strong some time. Last time i used version 0.5 (maybe above), but now i wanted to upgrade my project to latest version and understand what my project is not have performance for new version of suimono system. Not yet found an answer for me.
    b) Your water shader is very professional. But what happens with water? In most cases it now looks as a swamp. 3d waves - is good, Next-gen function, but 2d mode see is very strange.

I'm sorry if my words will offend you.

Thanks.

With Best Regards, Leonid.

P.S. Very waiting for Tenkoku ;)

28. chingwa

chingwa

Hi Leonid,

1) I'm not familiar with how Time of Day does it's shadows... are you sure this is a standard projector? When I import the normal projectors package in 0.88 it seems to work ok (meaning the projector doesn't project onto the water, but the water doesn't disappear). Can you try the default projecotr without TOD, just as a test?

2) THANK YOU!
    2a) I'm currently looking into performance issues, stay tuned!
    2b)Hmm... can you post a screenshot for me of what you're seeing in the flat water?

29. ThunderTruck

ThunderTruck

Suimono 2 by night with special effects:

30. chingwa

chingwa

Hmm... I don't see any water in that video, I seem to be distracted by other "things". :D

Baldinoboy likes this.
  31. janpec

janpec

Good scene, but water bloom is way too high.

32. dizzymediainc

dizzymediainc

So when can we expect the next update? :)

33. chingwa

chingwa

Beta version 0.89 should be out thursday or friday this week.

dizzymediainc and reocwolf like this.
  34. dizzymediainc

dizzymediainc

Ooooooo I look forward to it :)

Here's what I have been doing with your wonderful asset :)

chingwa and reocwolf like this.
  35. Morfeuskiev

Morfeuskiev

chingwa

Thanks for answer. I wiil show my screenshot maybe after version 0.89. Now waiting for new version.

I have one question. Do Suimono support tile? The same as water 4 of unity pro. I think about what make many plane with maximum vertex per plane (33000) and make big ocean and river with high detail level. Why i do this? Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but when i used infinity ocean (dx9) - i see how the plane of water moves with the camera. So it should be?
    With best Regards, Leonid.

Oh...Forgot about another question:
    Maybe you adder Ripple for your water? As example

Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
  36. chingwa

chingwa

Yes the infinite ocean setting (in dx9) moves the water plane around as the camera moves. It doesn't support tiling explicitly...though you can make multiple water tiles and align them together, but the wave patterns won't always necessarily match up 100% from tile to tile.

The ripple effect demo is pretty cool and the tech is interesting, however it doesn't work very well for large bodies of water (especially in dx9) as it relies on a really dense mesh to get the effect. this is a case of a small demo being awesome but not translating directly to actual game scenes. Perhaps in the future I can look into this more in depth.

37. Morfeuskiev

Morfeuskiev

Hi, chingwa

Thank you.
    When i say about moving plane with camera, i want to say that water plane have a strange move, as if in spurts and it is very noticeable(visible). It must be so or i am do something wrong?

With Best Regards, Leonid.

38. dizzymediainc

dizzymediainc

soooooo it's sunday :) how's the progress looking for the new build?

ThunderTruck likes this.
  39. chingwa

chingwa

:) yeah, sorry I've been away for the long weekend. The new build is almost ready, and I plan on putting it out either tonight or tomorrow at the latest.

Morfeuskiev - Just to make sure I understand what you mean... you're saying the water plane on the infinite ocean (dx9) has a noticeable stutter as you move around the scene?

dizzymediainc likes this.
  40. eskovas

eskovas

I too have that problem.
    Here's a video showing it:

(yes, some things are disabled on the ocean)

This is also very noticeable in the boat scene that comes with Suimono.

Another problem is shown on the limits of the main plane of the infinite ocean. Here's another video showing that:

Performance is also very poor when close to the ocean. Framerate drops from 90 to 30 when close to the ocean.
    I'm also having a few problems with the clouds and ocean, but i haven't spent any time on that.

41. chingwa

chingwa

Thanks for the video, that's really helpful to see... it looks like a position reset issue... let me take a look on my end and see I'll see if I can narrow this down.

42. Morfeuskiev

Morfeuskiev

eskovas

Thanks fo video. That's exactly what I meant.

chingwa
    In our game we have ships. And when i used mode Infinity oceans - waves follows ships with hard step. Soory for my bad english.

43. cookimage

cookimage

so far we have one problem . there is two layers on ocean surface think top one is wave detail. we have set our wave detail to 0 and still same problem. when character goes under water the two layers is far apart and when camera goes between then the fog effect is turned of for that area so players will see no fog in that section which sucks as it looses the underwater effect and they can see for miles. how do we fix this?

44. chingwa

chingwa

cookimage - is it possible to show me a screenshot?

45. malteins

malteins

Hi, I just installed Suimono 2.0 0.88beta and I am having an issue, the same as with the version before. I have different water bodies in my level. One is a big lake and and some others are big ponds. The thing is whenever I try to change another surface's preset it changes the other one as well. How can I apply different presets to different Surface modules.
    Thanks!

46. chingwa

chingwa

malteins - have you tried completely uninstalling suimono, by deleting the suimono folder from your project and then reinstalling version 0.88? The latest beta should be handling multiplesurface presets fine... at least it does on my end. Anyone else having preset issues with multiple water surfaces?

So yeah, today is now tomorrow, and beta 0.89 still isn't quite ready yet. Hopefully I'll have an update for you guys tomorrow tomorrow.

47. cookimage

cookimage

Ill wait and see what .89 does as it might be fine in that version then ill do some screenshots for you or even get you in the game to see for yourself.

48. Morfeuskiev

Morfeuskiev

chingwa

I apologize for my negative message. I reinstall your asset several times and its work okay. I dont understand what happened. Maybe problems with shader, but now its not a question ;).
    When you publishing Tenkoku? Very need to your weather system.

49. cookimage

cookimage

any eta on verion .89?

ThunderTruck likes this.
  50. chingwa

chingwa

Well I have an update mostly ready, but I've been kind of stumped by the issue that Morfeuskiev and eskovas brought up about the dx9/ocean stuttering. I can recreate it on my end but It's taking me some time to come up with a solution. I COULD release as is... but it just bugs the hell out of me on a personal level when there's an issue I can't get "fixed" right away :( Hopefully I'll have it worked out soon, but perhaps I'll just elease 0.89 without it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.