Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

SUIMONO - Customizeable Water System [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by chingwa, Aug 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lazygunn

lazygunn

It looks really, really nice and that's even without what i consider your (hitherto shown) predilection for a variety of depth based tones, looking forwards to it! I'm currently hunting out suitable shaders for splicing and dicing (after someones suggestion to someone else about using an sss/translucent shader on their ocean it just occurred to me a few days back i could try this myself), the foam is lovely, looking forwards to seeing what control there is there. You've actually got me feeling a bit inspired, the stylisation is particular and pleasant and I wanted an approach to shading water, terrain, and pbr/ibl whatever shading for game assets that was individual but leant a nod to realistic shading. It's going to be a hard time saying goodbye to ole whitecaps for the time being though. I'll sleep soon but if the beta's not out when i awake i'll just practice my hand with whitecaps and whatever i find that's interesting for water around my asset bag/internet

2. rahul007

rahul007

Waiting!!:confused:

3. chingwa

chingwa

4. creat327

creat327

well I tried it on a nexus 7 (the new beta 7) and the water is just a big chunk of grey. That's usually a problem with the shaders.

5. chingwa

chingwa

Thanks creat327. Just to confirm, everything looked fine in the editor, and it was only on the device that it went grey?

6. creat327

creat327

yes, it's only on the devices. On the editor there is never any problem. I've seen this problem with other packages (water 4 pro for instance looks like that on nexus 7 and many samsungs). The shaders have to be fixed for those machines.

7. VataRaven

VataRaven

8. chingwa

chingwa

9. VataRaven

VataRaven

Though...say, I don't like the look, do shaders work with Suimono? Is that the right thing...shaders, or is it textures

10. chingwa

chingwa

Well, if you want to customize the look of Suimono you can certainly add in your own custom textures really easily. If you want to change the shaders you can go in and change the shader code, but you better know what you're doing :D

11. VataRaven

VataRaven

So...I can't just drag and drop a more realistic shader onto the water?

12. chingwa

chingwa

Well, Suimono isn't just a shader, it's a complete system and part of that system are custom shaders that tie into the data of the rest of the system. So, you can just change the shader, sure, just like any other game object.... BUT your custom shader isn't going to use the data that is driven to it by the Suimono system...

Are there specific things you're looking for in a "more realistic shader" that you'd like to see in Suimono?

13. VataRaven

VataRaven

Was just looking before hand, since I know the Unity water sucks

But maybe I haven't seen the right video or picture that said "wow, the water is amazing" I just saw the one showing the boat floating in the water to show that objects move with the waves

14. VataRaven

VataRaven

And i was also looking into a swamp environment for a game level

Not sure if it's possible to pull off that swamp water look with the system or not

15. lazygunn

lazygunn

Don't worry, this has a lot of things to tweak and it can get very impressive at times, when you've found your way around it

You can replace the shaders if you wish, it might take a little while but you could take what you wanted from the system, i'm having a go at this very thing, in fact, and i'm guessing it may take a few days as i'm doing a lot of reading about water at the moment to get me up to speed but if you want to alter it i spose you wouldnt get put in jail

16. VataRaven

VataRaven

I don't know nothing about coding, so I wouldn't be able to do that, and from reading, that seems to be the only way to get different shaders

17. lazygunn

lazygunn

Well, i'm not sure how you'd assess a more suitable shader for the purpose then, or how you'd edit the existing shaders, as they are coding stuffs too

18. VataRaven

VataRaven

I didn't say I would, I was asking if you could use other shaders with the Suimono to get the look I wanted (meaning, using shaders on the market as drag drop usable or whatever) not program them in

19. lazygunn

lazygunn

Suimono is an entire system, like many other such systems it relies on doing things in its own way, so short of saying 'ahh hey thats a 3d surface ill have that' (And that wouldn't be nearly so simple) then you cant simply replace its core parts. They're very pretty though (and definitely feeling practical so far, in terms of being for use in a game), and there's a lot of customisation offered for you to play with and actually get the look you wanted, you can get it looking top drawer. And it's in beta so currently looking for constructive criticism, if you have criticism.

20. chingwa

chingwa

Well I guess the answer to that question, really, is "no". As flexible as Suimono is, it isn't flexible enough to just drop in other shaders. Like lazygunn suggested with a little(or a lot) coding knowledge you could essentially do anything you want... though I don't know why you would want to. If there are other shaders available that suit your purposes better can you explain the benefit of taking them and dropping them into Suimono?

As for swamps specifically sure you can do swampy looking water in Suimono... all the color and controls are exposed for you in a nice and easy to manage interface. There are a few presets in the 2.0 beta that might suit your needs, but the real power is to be able to control everything and save your own presets.

21. VataRaven

VataRaven

I haven't played with it (was looking into things to buy), if this isn't something part of the system. How about something like...water thickness. That might not be the right word, but say, you have murky water (no nearly as clear, gunk in it) it wouldn't be as easy to move in it. Mud would be a good example of it

22. VataRaven

VataRaven

I don't know, would there be a benefit to drag drop shaders? It would be more helpful to say, non-coders, but I would imagine it would be a question of if it would be worth the hassle.

But wouldn't you need the source code to...make your own shaders for Suimono?

23. chingwa

chingwa

All the code in Suimono is exposed.

But I don't think you're understanding something here... Suimono is a complete water system that allows you to place different types of water objects in your game scenes and to customize the look and behavior of them. It comes with specific fine-tuned shaders that have been custom written to take advantage of the rest of the system. You won't be able to drop other shaders in if they don't accept the specific Suimono data points (and they won't).

and, I guess it must be said... there is NO REASON to replace the shaders. (and I'm still trying to figure out why you would want to) There are enough controls for each water surface that you can achieve almost any effect you're looking for. This is the whole point of the Suimono system. Below is a screenshot of the controls for the look and behavior of surface objects alone (from the 2.0 beta):

24. lazygunn

lazygunn

Something you might want to replace could be like, a texture for the surface maybe, and then for your swamp you could change the flow speed to zero but still have the waves animating, getting a kind of stylised murky bubbling swamp, maybe add your own particle efffects for noxious plumes and the like. You can do a bunch if you want to be creative, and another thing I found was you could get vastly different types of mood and surface depending on how you want to use the wave sizes in the tesselated ocean, as stuff like the detail waves could either represent small aspects of the surface or made very small indeed and give a very realistic sense of viscosity to the foam. There's a few probs i found today but i pmed you regarding it, chingwa, mainly its appearance in linear colour space, which is where you should be working from outright

25. VataRaven

VataRaven

Thanks for answering...just figured I ask, you know (because I don't know anything about that stuff)

26. oSiyeza

oSiyeza

Hi, im developing a game, an exploration game, which will requiere underwater exploration and sailing. This system looks exacly what im looking for.
    Have some questions, are you planning to add, trails for ships or is it factible for an user to built them and integrate them in your system.
    Can waves size and direction be linked to the wind to match sea conditions with weather conditions?
    And finally, have you a release date? (hope you are not planning to rise the prize)

27. chingwa

chingwa

Hi oSiyeza,

A solution for ship trails and other effects will be included in the next Beta update (beta version 8 )... there's a new fx manager system that allows you to add particle fx and sounds and then control rules on how those fx operate. So for example, a boat wake, you could place a particle fx behind the boat where it's engines are and then set rules for it to activate only while moving at a certain speed and only while the engine is underwater etc.

This system actually allows for a LOT of flexibility. You could use it to add splashes, waterfall mist, or wave crashes on your terrain even. :) I can't wait to see what people are able to do with it.

But again, this isn't in the current version on the store, nor in the current 2.0 beta download yet... but will be in beta 8 download which will be coming out sometime this week.

Wave sizes and direction can be controlled, yes, but there isn't a direct function for this as far as wind is concerned (mainly because different projects have different techniques for handling wind. Unity has built in wind controllers, but these are (inexplicably still!) not accessible through code! Unity do you read these forums??) You can however with a little scripting knowledge build your own wind controller, and then access and change the Suimono variables that control wave height and wave flow direction from there.

Release date... there is no set date. The beta is winding down though and I'm trying to get everything set and up on the store asap. Please note though that if you buy the current version on the store, or if you buy it from my website, you can also get access to the latest beta versions for no additional cost (you just need to register your asset store transaction number with me). Once 2.0 is finished and up on the store the price will still be the same as it is currently, $65.

28. Deathnote

Deathnote

Hi, Chingwa if rain is start, will be circle on water and in custum object ?

Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
  29. chingwa

chingwa

30. AlteredPlanets

AlteredPlanets

Hello, great middleware tool , when will the new update be out?

31. chingwa

chingwa

SOON! :D The beta period is coming to a close, and once that is finished version 2.0 will be put up on the Asset Store.

32. kiugetski

kiugetski

how can i get version 2 cuz i bougt the curent version a few weeks ago

33. chingwa

chingwa

34. kiugetski

kiugetski

ive done it but still nothing :p

35. chingwa

chingwa

Hmm... please try it again. Make sure you give the correct invoice number... Asset Store invoice numbers are 9 digits and start with "OR". Also make sure you give a name and valid email address. I received a notification earlier today, but the number was wrong, and the email was broken.

36. kiugetski

kiugetski

well i tryed with and without and still nothing hehe

37. chingwa

chingwa

Hi kiugetski,
    I received your registration and it all looks OK, but I'm having trouble sending the login information to the email you supplied. Sorry! if you PM me here with your registration, I'll PM you back the info.

38. kiugetski

kiugetski

got it now thx :D

39. kiugetski

kiugetski

can you tell me why my water is pink :p

40. chingwa

chingwa

Pink water means it can't find the correct shader. Make sure you set the "Unity Version Target" attribute on the SUIMONO_Module object. This needs to match whatever your platform settings are. So for example, if you're running Unity4 Pro under dx11 mode, set the this attribute to "Unity Pro DX11"... if you aren't running dx11 then set this to "Unity Pro"... or android... or unity basic etc. etc.

41. Chris Aoki

Chris Aoki

Just one question, not sure if it has been asked already, but how mobile friendly are these shaders? Thanks.

42. goat

goat

I have the same question but the Kiosk front say 'Desktop/Webplayer only' so I'm not that hopeful. I have another solution similar and that I bought before I knew about this one and that solution is officially supported on mobile but mediocre and is missing key features of this one.

...but then in chingwa's response prior to your question he mentions supporting Android implicitly. Think support will be a problem according to how large you create your terrain. For mobile, shrink your terrain.

Last edited: May 24, 2014
  43. chingwa

chingwa

hi guys, sorry for the delay. I'm in the middle of traveling and haven't had much internet access. I can clarify a couple points here...

first the current version available from the AssetStore does not work with mobile, which is why it's labelled desktop/web player on the description page. however version 2.0 which is now in beta testing works with Android and iOS, with limited features (currently limited transparency and fog effects as well as no 3D wave implementation). if you've purchased the current version from the asset store and would like to download and try the beta version you can sign up for it for free here....
    http://www.tanukidigital.com/suimono/beta/

I can get more into performance specifics once I get back from traveling. I'll try and answer questions as best I can in the meantime.

44. goat

goat

OK, well I will wait to purchase til 2.0 is released.

I need to support iPod touch 4th Gen so even if you support mobile in 2.0 I'll need to shrink my scene terrain size in half I think. I think though anything with HW level of iPhone 5 should be good to go though.

45. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I am glad this is still around... I wonder if I could use PBR shaders such as Alloy with your system... :)

46. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Yeap - wondering how we are travelling with this... been hanging out for v2 for a long time :)

47. Kivak

Kivak

Hi there chingwa, I am interested in buying your asset but I have a few questions...

1) Does this work with the EasyRoads3D river tool? Or can this be easily used to make rivers?
    2) How does this stack up against Unity's Pro water in terms of performance? I have a lake scene with around 20k trees at or being reflected by the water and the Pro water doesn't handle this too well. Could I expect a performance boost using this system?

Thanks! :)
    -Mark

48. chingwa

chingwa

Hi Mark,

It works with Easy Roads. You'll need to finalize the easyroads data into it's own mesh (I don't think it will work in the easyroads edit mode..?), and then manually apply the suimono shaders and components onto this new object, but it should work pretty well once it's set up. Suimono doesn't come with any mesh building tools, so using EasyRoads or another spline/mesh tool in Unity would be ideal. You can also import your own mesh from a modeller program as well. The link below is embarrasingly old and ugly, but it should give you a basic idea of the river mesh uvs...

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/su...er-system-released.147111/page-4#post-1071023

Performance wise, it is more performant than the unity pro water in this type of test case. However, just like the pro water, suimono also suffers when it comes to dynamic reflections, which renders the visible part of your scene in a second pass. the performance hit for this can quickly add up in complex scenes. Suimono also allows you to use static cubemap-based reflections and this would significantly speed up rendering time in a large scene. Below is an example comparison between the unity pro water and Suimono 2.0...

49. Kivak

Kivak

Wow that IS a whole lot better than Water4! I was getting around 2.5k draw calls on my scene in question so this is very similar to the performance increase I would likely get. And I am really happy to hear this works with EasyRoads3D. I wanted to make sure I used all the same water so I couldn't use Suimono and water4 and make it look good. I'm very pleased with this and will probably pick up a copy! (unfortunately my Unity Pro trial ended so I have to figure out how in the world I can pay for it...). Such is life right? :(

Thanks again for your time!!
    -Mark

50. Ebolinux

Ebolinux

Anyone know what is causing this?

I get these rainbow strips on a number of the different types of waters.

I think it has to do with scaling down the SUIMONO_Surface.
    Is there some way to make the 10 1 10 down to say 1/10th the size and still have it look decent?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.