Search Unity

SUIMONO 2.0 - Interactive Water System

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by chingwa, Jan 6, 2015.

1. radiantboy

radiantboy

So the new experimental one does not do constant depth sorting? is that the one I can get now from your site (I ask because it appears identical to the one I have) ?

Also I tried turning off suimono_module as mentioned above, performance increase is insane suimono.lateupdate() takes 25% when on and nothing when off. The water looks identical to me ? Of course the constant error in console doesnt help but it seems intriguing, could this be kept off for cheap water or does something mess up ?

Im waiting for new 2.1 :)

Last edited: Jun 20, 2015
  2. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

With Tenkoku at least the reflection probe is absolutely killing it in busy scenes.

I updated the code so that it only updates the probe every 5 seconds, and that improves things dramatically.

Totally gorgeous lighting and water and I am sure Justin will sort it out.

3. chingwa

chingwa

@radiantboy yes there are some improvements to this performance overhead coming in the final version of 2.1 :)

In the meantime one thing you can try that will probably improve your performance is to go the the Suimono_Module--->cam_SuimonoTrans object and disable the "camera" component. While this component is necessary, it isn't necessary for it to be enabled. The next update forces this off and it should give a decent fps increase in complex scenes. The same can be said for the Suimono_Surface--->cam_SuimonoDepth objects.... the "camera" component should also be turned off. having these remain on was an oversight on my part o_O

Teila and AdamGoodrich like this.
  4. mwituni

mwituni

Great thanks.

Great idea.

5. radiantboy

radiantboy

What are the chances of some sort of UFPS prefab that can swim etc (basically behave like your woman but be a UFPS guy), you would easily get a ton of UFPS users I know who are all crying out for this on the visionpunk forum :)

6. eskovas

eskovas

Hey there chingwa,

I was just profiling and noticed something about the memory usage of suimono.
    memory Suimono.jpg

Is there any reason those two textures should be this massive? Can you confirm this on your side?

chingwa likes this.
  7. chingwa

chingwa

I'm sure they could probably be reduced in resolution and set to automatic compressed mode. Actually since they are mostly tiled anyway, I'm sure the resolution could be dropped quite a bit. Currently they are set to the full 2048 resolution, but I think you're right, this is probably complete overkill.

I'll do some tests here on my end to see what an optimal quality/size resolution would be and reset them for the next update. There's no specific reason they need to be that large.

8. CaptainMurphy

CaptainMurphy

In my testing for the generated versions I was able to go down to around 128x128 for simple waves and moved to around 512x512 for the sharper ones.

9. chingwa

chingwa

Yeah I haven't noticed any visual difference at all until I get down to 256x256, and even then it's quite a subtle difference.

10. zhuchun

zhuchun

Hi, I'm new here, does Suimono support c# now? My whole game is c# so I have to make sure before purchase. Thanks.

11. CaptainMurphy

CaptainMurphy

It is currently JS, with C# on the roadmap from what I know. Other than a couple of scripts you can actually make calls to the JavaScript items by placing them in certain paths so that they load before the C# scripts. We have been doing that with several of our management scripts and Suimono/Tenkoku.

12. radiantboy

radiantboy

Whens the new one out!? :D

13. chingwa

chingwa

Hello All,

Suimono version 2.1.0 is now ready for download...

Download Here: http://www.tanukidigital.com/download

Version 2.1.0 has been submitted to the Asset Store and will hopefully be available there soon.

This is the final version of 2.1.0. For those who have already previously upgraded to the experimental version of 2.1.0 released last month, this update has a large number of tweaks and bugfixes, and performance improvements for you. It also has the addition of a few new features, such as LOD switching, Advanced and Simple editor modes, and improved UI.

--- WHATS NEW IN 2.1.0? ---
    Suimono is now fully compatible with Unity 5... in fact Suimono will REQUIRE Unity 5 starting from this release. This version works both in Deferred AND Forward rendering modes, and is now working properly with image effects once again (these edits should remove all instances of the infamous "foam" error). Suimono shaders and render targets have been simplified and lower end targets like mobile and 'Unity basic' have been removed, as Suimono has been refocused on higher end systems and visuals.

Transparency effects have been off-loaded from the water surface itself and are now calculated separately via a component on the Suimono Module object. This enables the main water surfaces to properly utilize the Unity 5 depth buffer which allows consistent fog and sorting effects with other scene objects. The generated transparency is then combined in the shader afterward. However, you'll need to pay careful attention to what game layers you want the transparency to render. These can be set in the transparency settings on the Suimono Module object.

Shoreline generation has been rewritten and now uses a custom render camera to capture scene depth information on-the-fly. The depth information is utilized to create water depth, water shoreline areas, foam areas (in Forward rendering), and to calculate edge fading. You'll also need to pay attention to what game layers are allowed for depth generation... these settings can be found in the "General Settings" on each Suimono Surface object.

--- INSTALLING 2.1 ---
    For those upgrading from 2.0.x, I recommend removing previous versions of Suimono first, and then doing a clean install of version 2.1. The water surfaces have a new component for depth generation (and also have removed the old depth gen objects), and the Suimono Module also has a couple new components and child objects that need to be present in the scene for the system to work without errors.

As always, let me know if you have problems/questions/feedback etc, either by email or on the forums!

UPDATE: 7/6/2015 - Suimono Version 2.1.0
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    (Note: The changes below include both 2.1.0 experimental, and the 2.1.0 final)

NOTES:
    Version 2.1.0 has been rebuilt and optimized for Unity 5.0, as such there have been a number of changes and additions, and the new base requirement for Suimono going forward is Unity 5.0.0f4 or later. Please note that previous versions of Suimono that work with Unity 4.3+ are still available to register users on the Tanuki Digital website.

SPECIAL NOTE:
    - Automatic DX11-->DX9 switching has been disabled because of Unity API changes in Unity 5.1. Make sure to set the appropriate dx9/dx11 level for your project in the Suimono Module.

WHAT'S NEW:
    - Added LOD options for water surface geometry detail: high, medium, low, and quad.
    - Added new Editor Modes "Advanced" and "Simple".
    - Added In-Editor access to adding custom textures.
    - Added In-Editor access to adding custom meshes.
    - Tenkoku integration in Module gives water access to Tenkoku wind and reflections.
    - "Reflection Term" attribute controls incidence of reflection strength. Set by default to 0.255.
    - Improved distant horizon blending with skyboxes.
    - Added "Distance Fade Color" setting that optionally fades the distance to a color(reacts to scene lighting).
    - Added "enable/disable option to Tessellation settings.
    - Improved Water edge blending (in Deferred mode).
    - Added ability to enable/disable underwater fx on a per-surface basis.
    - Added ability to enable/disable caustic fx on a per-surface basis.

CHANGES:
    - Simplified shader instructions and variations.
    - "Chromatic Shift" setting temporarily disabled.
    - "Blur Amount" setting temporarily disabled.
    - "Reflection Strength" attribute renamed to "Reflection Distortion".
    - New "Unity Version Target" modes added... "Unity DX9" and "Unity DX11".
    - Removed listings for previous version targets, including Unity/Unity Pro versions as well as iOS and Android.
    - Removed "Use Dark UI" setting. UI colors are now automatically detected based on Unity license version.
    - Removed and changed shader references to Unity "Pro" to be "dx9" or "dx11".
    - Edited splash effect gravity settings.
    - "Depth Color(shallow)" setting has been removed.
    - Improved character controller in demo scene.
    - Removed "Include Presets in build" option. Preset data is now always included in builds.
    - Tessellation controls now moved under "Configuration".
    - Moved "Surface Roughness" setting to the "WAVE SETTINGS" Tab.
    - Moved "Flow Direction","Flow Direction","Wave Speed" settings to the "WAVE SETTINGS" Tab.
    - Water shaders now render in one set pass. Separated water and underwater shader passes for performance.
    - Improved edge blending and foam rendering (Deferred mode only).
    - Lowered minimum tolerance of fx offset setting.
    - Water transparency buffer now defaults back to DepthColor if Transparency is turned off during play.
    - Reduced default water texture sizes to 256x.

BUG FIXES:
    - Fixed Ripple distortion effect.
    - Suimono now automatically sets y-scale on water surfaces to "1.0" to avoid setup issues.
    - "Flat Plane" setting now properly removes tessellation settings.
    - Water surface light attenuation errors for point/spot lights has been fixed.
    - Flow Direction setting now works correctly again.
    - Fixed issue with startup lag where the water was delayed before rendering on initial play.
    - Fixed distant black band in reflections when Suimono is used with skybox assets(Tenkoku, TimeOfDay, etc.)
    - Refraction Bleed rendering bug has been fixed in most cases.
    - various null reference errors have been addressed.
    - Water layer is now automatically removed from Transparent rendering.
    - Water layer is now automatically removed from Reflection rendering.
    - Edited shaders for various GLSL errors occuring on Mac. (fixes dissappearing water and other water render issues).
    - Ocean Scale setting now clamped to prevent it from going to 0.
    - "Flat Plane" setting now properly removes wave displacement.
    - Suimono now forces dx9 mode automatically when dx11 is not available.
    - Added warning text for tessellation settings when dx11 isn't available.
    - Transparency function now updates correctly when switching tracked cameras.
    - Performance improved by limiting unintended camera render cycles for transparency and depth functions.
    - Fixed EdgeBlend setting not blending completely to transparent layer.
    - Fixed error messages when Suimono_Module object is disabled during play.
    - FX Objects no longer emit when Suimono_Module is disabled during play.
    - Blend Overlay color now works properly again.
    - Fixed UnityEngine.GL warning messages due to Unity API changes.
    - Tenkoku settings are now visible in the Module UI when Tenkoku is present in the scene.

eskovas likes this.
  14. chingwa

chingwa

Note that there seems to be a bug in Unity 5.1.1 where dx9 handling is breaking the ocean rendering, even when Suimono is set to dx9 mode. This seems specific to this release of Unity. (why in the world they changed how the dx9/dx11 settings work is just...???????). Hopefully I'll have more info soon. In the meantime you can read more about this error, and a workaround, here:

http://tanukidigital.com/forum/index.php?topic=608.msg1846#msg1846

15. Teila

Teila

Does any one know if this still has problem with the ToD image effects? I hear it does and I hate spending money now on another time of day/weather program. Will I have to do that if I buy Suimono?

16. radiantboy

radiantboy

Super exciting times!! But the file link is a 404! :)

17. chingwa

chingwa

Hello All,

Suimono version 2.1.0a is now ready for download...

Download Here: http://www.tanukidigital.com/download

There were some emergency changes that I've made to the 2.1.0 update from yesterday which were preventing water surfaces from rendering properly under dx9 and with some image effects. This update should address this and now all image effects should be working with the water properly. Big thanks goes out to those intrepid downloaders who caught these problems last night!

I apologize for the mixup!

As always, let me know if you have problems/questions/feedback etc, either by email or on the forums!

UPDATE: 7/7/2015 - Suimono Version 2.1.0a
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    SPECIAL NOTE:
    - Automatic DX11-->DX9 switching has been disabled because of Unity 5.1 API changes. Make sure to set the appropriate dx9/dx11 level for your project in the Suimono Module.

CHANGES:
    - Removed advanced edge blending, as it interferes in water compositing and specific image effects.
    - Removed PlayerSettings.useDirect3D11 call, since it's been deprecated by Unity.

BUG FIXES:
    - Fixed disappearing water surface issue.
    - Fixed editor directive error on Mac.
    - Can now switch between dx9/dx11 regardless of system settings.

18. chingwa

chingwa

@radiantboy The file link has been updated :)

@Teila The latest version (2.1.0a) works properly with all image effects, including TimeOfDay. I have confirmation of this from a couple other people on my forum as well.

Teila likes this.
  19. radiantboy

radiantboy

Awesome, got it, should it just import over the top ? Im getting this error:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    SuimonoObject.Recalculate () (at Assets/SUIMONO - WATER SYSTEM 2/SCRIPTS/SuimonoObject.js:1141)
    SuimonoObject.LateUpdate () (at Assets/SUIMONO - WATER SYSTEM 2/SCRIPTS/SuimonoObject.js:848)

20. chingwa

chingwa

If you're upgrading from 2.0.x version or before then you're going to have to delete suimono first (including your scene surface/module objects), and then install 2.1 fresh.

I know this is a pain, but there is so much new in 2.1 that a full reinstall is pretty much required.

However, If you're upgrading from the experimental version of 2.1, then I recommend the following...
    1) disable your scene water surface objects
    2) delete your water_module object.
    3) delete the entire suimono project folder.
    4) install the latest version.
    5) add a new module object to your scene.
    6) re-enable your water surface objects.

21. radiantboy

radiantboy

Thanks, upgraded from 2.1, cant find my old presets where are they stored? I have a backup. Seems to work well so far, only issue I can see is a strange square following me around and showing a large reflection of myself. Im going to have a play around and see if the performance is better :) Thanks, also is there a way to script changing the presets? I was thinking of having my water somehow go through a list of presets so sometimes the water is different etc.

22. radiantboy

radiantboy

In first person it shows the inside of my head on the water :) Im using UFPS. Seems ok apart from these things so far, very impressive indeed.

23. radiantboy

radiantboy

Reflections still seem to vanish sometimes, note the jet engine here which vanishes.

24. chingwa

chingwa

LOL at the inside-of-your-head view! You most likely need to check the Transparency rendering layers on the Suimono_Module object. Placing your player on a different game layer, and then de-selecting this layer in the render layers list should probably fix this. Usually you only want the transparency to render game objects that are below the water surface, such as your terrain.

25. chingwa

chingwa

Suimono 2.1 with Unity 5 support is now finally posted on the asset store!
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/4387

It's been a long haul since the introduction of Unity 5 to get this reengineered to work as expected... A big thank you goes out to everyone who has helped over the past few months to get this version up and running! I expect only good things from here :)

Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
  26. radiantboy

radiantboy

any thoughts on vanishing reflections? this even happens with Unity's own water so I am worried it is an impossible solve.

27. chingwa

chingwa

I'm not really sure, actually. It might be that the reflection plane is inadvertently going outside the view frustrum. The size of the reflection object is hard-coded, but you can try changing it yourself by opening up the SCRIPTS/SuimonoObject.js file, and change line 1281 by enlarging the x and z values. So this...
    Code (CSharp):
    1. reflectionObject.transform.localScale = Vector3(4,1,4);
    becomes this for example...
    Code (CSharp):
    1. reflectionObject.transform.localScale = Vector3(6,1,6);

28. radiantboy

radiantboy

awesome man I will try that in a bit, do you need reflectionprobes or anything or does suimono do all this for you? I probably dont have any or maybe if I do theyre in a weird place, my city is huge.

29. chingwa

chingwa

No, Suimono calculates it's own planar reflections, similar to unity's water. No reflection probes needed.

30. Teila

Teila

Hi Chingwa!

I am having issues with Suimono. The foam doesn't seem to work, no matter what I do. The only time I see foam is when the water suddenly, because I clicked on something else in the hierarchy while in Game Mode which has nothing to do with Suimono, becomes covered in foam. I have to go out of Game Mode and back in to fix it.

I would really like shallow foam. One thing I also miss is the ability to put in my own texture for foam. Is that possible?

31. chingwa

chingwa

@Teila the shallow foam is rendered based on a generated scene depth texture which is calculated based on the settings in the Suimono_Surface "Depth Calculation" function. You should make sure that any objects that you want to render foam are on a game layer that is selected in the layer list here.

I have an alternative method for generating shallow foam that works more seamlessly, but I had to remove it in the latest version because it was causing some unexpected issues in dx9 and with image effects (same with edge blending). I'm looking into ways of adding it back in the next update.

You can indeed use your own texture for foam... goto the Suimono_Module object under "Suimono Module Lib" component and replace the "Tex Foam" slot with your custom version.

If you look at the default foam texture you'll see that it is broken down by channel into 4 different foam patterns... these are used based on the intensity of the foam in order to fade it out. This isn't strictly necessary in your custom texture, but you should be aware that each RGBA channel is read independently.... in case you want to pack multiple patterns into your own texture.

BackwoodsGaming and Teila like this.
  32. Teila

Teila

Hi,

I am still unable to get foam to work. I know I had it working once but now it doesn't show at all, with my texture or yours. I set the terrain layer since I want it to interact at the shoreline, and played with the depth calculations. I also played with the sliders on the Module. No foam at all showed.

I am willing to wait for the other solution at it seems more like what I need, with the edge foam.

33. EternalAmbiguity

EternalAmbiguity

Hey there, I have a question. Are there any plans to introduce a particle/fluid-based system for suimono? I'm planning on having some rivers in my game and it would be very neat to have some water movement, maybe even something semi-physics-based with gravity and such.

I realize that's probably an enormous undertaking, but I just wanted to see if it's in the works at all.

34. chingwa

chingwa

@Teila The next update has a new Advanced Edge Blending option which brings back the previous system of edge foam (for Deferred rendering).

@EternalAmbiguity Sorry, a fluid based system is not planned for Suimono (but I agree fluid-based water is awesome :D )

ThunderTruck likes this.
  35. EternalAmbiguity

EternalAmbiguity

Alright, thanks for the info. What about simple moving water, like a river. I know there are the waves now (which move a floating object, which is super cool), but can the current system be extended out to simple one-directional (or perhaps zones of directions) movement?

36. Therian13

Therian13

hello Chingwa,

I just downloaded the latest update, and there is still that error where particles and plants are over written by the fog.
    Is there any way to fix this?
    I can get around it with plants and stuff, but particle systems usually need transparency, and the suimono fog just covers them up, regardless of distance.

37. chingwa

chingwa

@EternalAmbiguity Currently you can set the flow in one direction on each water surface. The speed of the flow can be affected by wave height if you wish, but there isn't currently a way to do separate directions on a single surface. I've been wanting to add flowmaps to Suimono for a while. Hopefully I'll be able to look into this soon.

@Therian13 The only way to do this is to get the plants/particles to write to Unity's depth buffer. Suimono isn't going to see their depth value if Unity itself doesn't see the depth value. I'm sure It isn't impossible, but it would involve some imaginative shader trickery...

EternalAmbiguity likes this.
  38. EternalAmbiguity

EternalAmbiguity

Many thanks, sounds good.

39. Therian13

Therian13

im not entirely sure what you mean. Shaders are pretty foreign to me, but as far as I can tell, the particles show on everything else, even Unity's built in fog.
    I'll try looking around online and see if I can figure it out.

Thank you.

40. radiantboy

radiantboy

No matter what I do I cannot get my water preset to be the one that plays in game, can someone explain how to do this? I find suimono UI is extraordinarily confusing personally.

I swear I am doing it right but it will not use my preset, not sure if its relevant (assuming it is!) but im getting this error too:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    SuimonoModule+$checkWaterTransition$619+$.MoveNext () (at Assets/SUIMONO - WATER SYSTEM 2/SCRIPTS/SuimonoModule.js:952)
    UnityEngine.MonoBehaviour:StartCoroutine_Auto(IEnumerator)
    SuimonoModule:StoreSurfaceHeight() (at Assets/SUIMONO - WATER SYSTEM 2/SCRIPTS/SuimonoModule.js:574)
    SuimonoModule:Awake() (at Assets/SUIMONO - WATER SYSTEM 2/SCRIPTS/SuimonoModule.js:249)

Edit: I stubbed out the offending error using

if (underwaterDebrisRendererComponent!=null)//GAZ
    {
    underwaterDebrisRendererComponent.enabled=false;
    }

But it still isnt letting me use my own preset at the start, if I run the game then change it all is good, but each time I run the game it shows its on mine but it seems to default to some blue sea, where as mine is black. Kinda going out of my mind here :) thoughts?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
  41. Teila

Teila

Great! Any idea when that might be? :) Trying to budget my time, working on a half dozen things at a time. lol

Thanks.

42. chingwa

chingwa

@radiantboy so it's not selecting the correct preset at load? I checked here on my end and can't get it to do this. You want to try setting the preset to "none" playing your scene, and then stopping, saving, and restart Unity... then reopen and set it to your preferred preset and see if it resets itself.

Also just in case, the demo scene is set to automatically choose specific presets on start, regardless of the selection. (through one of the demo ui scripts) This wouldn't be an issue in a different scene though.

@Teila Not quite sure yet. In addition to the above fix I've also been working on the addition of a boat wake effect system. This has opened my eyes to some other possibilities as well so I'm currently in an exploration phase to see if any of these experiments are applicable. I should know more about this soon, and then I'll have a better idea of a time frame. I wouldn't think it would be long though... a couple weeks?

Teila likes this.
  43. radiantboy

radiantboy

Tried everything, its almost like everything is set to read only!
    edit: my entire folder was read only, fixed that in windows and it began to work!

44. chingwa

chingwa

45. EternalAmbiguity

EternalAmbiguity

Question. I'm trying to make a "stormy" water preset, and for some reason my water is very transparent.
    Unity 2015-07-18 17-17-08-01.jpg
    However, I've done everything I can think of to disable transparency, including the generic setting "overall transparency" and "Light Absorption."
    Suimono1.JPG
    I'm not sure what else to do. Any suggestions?

Something else too, while I'm here: in that first picture, you can see that there's a place where the transparency just stops (the middle area is most obvious). Any idea what could be causing that?

46. chingwa

chingwa

@EternalAmbiguity Make sure the "overall transparency" is at 1.0 and try raising the "light absorption" much higher... close to 1.0. The light absorption setting is also somewhat dependent on your scene camera's far clip setting... if this is extremely high it might be blowing out the scene depth buffer. I recommend keeping this camera setting below 10000... and actually in most cases below 5000.

The transparency falloff is because the default "transparency range" setting is too low.... this actually isn't in the UI currently (though it's already in for the next update!)... for now go to the SUIMONO_Module--->cam_SuimonoTrans object and change the far clipping plane to be higher... 1000+ for example. Sorry this setting got left out!

47. EternalAmbiguity

EternalAmbiguity

Hmm. It's better, but still not where it needs to be.
    Unity 2015-07-18 21-02-36-87.jpg
    I'm trying to make it so you literally can't see through at ALL. Can that be done?

48. chingwa

chingwa

If you want it a completely opaque color you can change the "surface overlay color" setting... the higher it's alpha value the more it will overlay the surface until ultimately it's ONLY that color.

EternalAmbiguity likes this.
  49. Therian13

Therian13

hello chingwa!

I've come to bother you with another question. :p

I'm currently trying to make it that the underwater fog can be viewed "half way" when my ship's glass is halfway above the water. (see picture).
    To do this, I made a new object that has the shader "Suimono2/effect_refractPlaneU5". It does the fog effect nicely as you can see, but the material then writes on top of every object in the scene, so I can see it through walls and ships.
    Is there a way to prevent this?
    I can turn off the ZTest, but then the ships "Suimono/DepthMask" shader hides the refractPlaneU5 shader.

I've been trying to figure it out, but can't seem to really get the shader's to work. I tried asking around as well, but everyone suggested I contact you about it.

Would you by chance know how to fix this little conundrum?

Thank you for your help, and I apologize again for all the questions!

Attached Files:

50. EternalAmbiguity

EternalAmbiguity

Thanks, this is pretty much what I'm looking for.