Search Unity

SUIMONO 2.0 - Interactive Water System

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by chingwa, Jan 6, 2015.

1. KnifeMedia

KnifeMedia

Ah great. Obscurance works fine, and is faster too. All sorted out.

2. cAyouMontreal

cAyouMontreal

Hey there ! Let me know if this question has been already asked. I can't really free 4 of my layers in the game I'm working on. I could free one of them for Suimono_Water. Do I really need to free all 4 of them to get your plugin working properly?
    Thanks !

3. chingwa

chingwa

@cayouMontreal Currently, for full functionality you need 3 layers. The most important of these is the Suimono_Water layer... this one is mandatory. The other two are less important. Suimono_Depth is used specifically for generating shoreline depth maps... if you don't use the shoreline object then you don't need this. Suimono_Screen is used for distortion effects on the water, such as ripples.

On the Suimono Module object you can uncheck the "Set Automatic layers" setting and then setup a single Suimono_Water layer in your project and I think that might be good enough for general useability.

4. cAyouMontreal

cAyouMontreal

Yeah I did that. I remember that on a previous version all my layers were changed automatically and arbitrary and it broke my game. imo you should change the way to do this. For example in DOTween, if the DOTween setup was never ran, it won't compile and ask you do run the setup (via a error message in the console). You can then open a window with some options on it and press the setup button. For casual project it might not be a real concern, but if you don't have any free layer left it will break your game. So having a way to setup either automatically or manually layers would be great.

Oh also, why don't you use the default and unchangeable layer "Water" ? I've looked into your code and your are parsing only layers from position 8, even if I changed "Suimono_Water" in your code to "Water", it doesn't look into default layers.
    It might be great to have this option.

Thanks !

5. DesertRaven

DesertRaven

upon adding the Suimono water to my scene, now my character controller just falls through the terrain object.Did this ever happen to anyone?

6. chingwa

chingwa

@cayouMontreal The reason I set it to a custom layer is because it is required for the Physics on the layer to be completely disabled, and I had many issues with customers already using the water layer for other objects which would then break their setup. It's unfortunate because in previous versions of Unity I was able to do turn off physics on a per-object basis, which worked much better and allowed me to just disable the individual surface physics while using the built-in water layer. But due to a change that Unity made to physics in (Unity 5 I think?) I was forced to do this on the entire layer instead.

@DesertRaven this might possibly be a setup issue with the layers. Are you by chance using UFPS for your controller? I've had reports of issues where the layer assignment in UFPS and the layer assignment in Suimono conflicts. Suimono attempts to add new layers to your project, and then it also tries to remove the Suimono_water layer from the physics interaction settings. You can check the physics interaction by going to edit-->project settings-->physics. You should see a matrix like the one below, with the Suimono layer unchecked from everything else. Let me know if this is not the case.

BackwoodsGaming likes this.
  7. DesertRaven

DesertRaven

Thank you for the quick reply, this is very helpful.

8. petervp

petervp

Hi! I am interested in suimono especially because of the shoreline functions. Too bad i can't find a video with all the latest updates applied. Would it be possible to create a shoreline like in your video "SUIMONO 2.0 - Shoreline & 3D Waves Update (Version 2.0 Beta 08)" where the water doesnt suddenly pops up behind the waves where the wave hasnt even crashed yet? I'm looking for the possibility to have a well blended shoreline with waves and retractive water, Thank you!

9. karonte

karonte

Hi, i'm developing a smll VR-app for Gear VR. I need an "ocean geometry and a wave generator" that look perfect. I need to simulate a stormy wave ocean....
    Is your asset Mobile-friendly?
    thanks

PS: mobile phone of course galaxy S6

10. chingwa

chingwa

@petervp Currently the shoreline waves don't retract after they've hit the shoreline. I'd like to look into this for a possible update in the future though, as it adds much more realism to the shoreline. The current shoreline waves are much as you see them in that update video.

@karonte Suimono is not compatible with mobile devices, sorry!

11. JonasPersson

JonasPersson

Hi! im thinking of buying:)
    Questions:
    1. Have you tried it with vive, how is the performance, and how does the water look in stereoscopic?
    2. Does it work with Azure[Sky]?

Thanks!

12. chingwa

chingwa

Hi Jonas, I haven't tried Azure[Sky] but I don't know of a reason they shouldn't work together. I assume the sky system either projects sky onto a sphere that's wrapped around the scene, or directly calcualtes in the a skybox shader. Either way it should work with Suimono.

The Vive is a different question though, there are some inherent difficulties with VR, due to how Suimono calculates scene transparency and reflection data. While some have gotten it to work fine, others have had issues. I wouldn't recommend Suimono to you if you are only focusing on VR projects.

13. DesertRaven

DesertRaven

Hello again, I have a huge request, can you provide a script, that can simply attach water to a custom flat mesh object, e.g. pool water surface. Just like click the surface and boom, it's pool water. Also it seems problematic to have 2 different types of water in one scene? And how do I turn off that ocean sound when infinite ocean is turned on? Thanks

14. chingwa

chingwa

I don't have a script that does that currently, but I have been thinking of doing something similar, specifically for rivers, but could perhaps be done for any type of mesh. The real issue here is doing it this way Suimono has no control of the setup of the mesh... meaning if the mesh UVS are not properly aligned then the water is going to look whcack. Because of this it's best to place the included Suimono surface prefabs anywhere you want water. I'll look into this type of 'conversion' script for a future update.

There shouldn't be any problems having multiple water surfaces in a scene. Are you seeing a specific issue?

For the water/wave sound, you can turn it off by going to the Suimono_Module-->_sound_effects object and removing the sound file from the 'abovewater sound' slot.

15. DesertRaven

DesertRaven

Thanks for the quick reply, for one, any mesh should have proper UW's aligned, my meshes do.

The issue with multiple water surfaces I have encountered was that when I added a second surface, the first one also changed to the water preset I had intended for the second one. The first one was a infinite ocean plane, the second one pool water, both changed to pool water.

I managed to turn off the above water sound in the module. Now this bares another question, if I now add another surface, eg. pool or river, will I now end up with out sound too? Shouldn't this function be part of the individual surface and not the module?

16. chingwa

chingwa

All depends on how the mesh is created.... you'd be surprised :D Though for anyone with any idea of what they're doing the uvs shouldn't be a problem.

So the multiple water surfaces should be independant and use different presets without problem. I do this in the demo scene, and other scenes I've tried without trouble. This might be a bug, or perhaps an unintended setup problem. Did you drag separate prefabs into your scene for each surface, or did you place one, then copy and re-position it?

Currently the sounds are global, if you turn it off in the module it won't sound anywhere. The whole sound system is currently pretty basic though, I would like to expand on this in the future. defining sounds per surface would be a good place to start, but also detecting shoreline and distance from water and modulating sounds automatically. In the meantime, I recommend placing standard unity sound objects around your scene where you need water sounds, and perhaps just keeping the underwater sound enabled in the suimono module.

17. DesertRaven

DesertRaven

I don't know, I finally managed the different water surfaces, I may have blindly screwed it up my self.

I like the Idea of only turning on the underwater sound, all other sounds can be managed in the scene interdependently. I wouldn't worry abort this to much.

BTW, Your water looks great and it works. Thanks for the help, and if anything, I'd still like the drag and drop feature for easy water mesh/surface setup. :)

chingwa likes this.
  18. chingwa

chingwa

NOTE: For some unknown reason all my websites went offline this morning. :( Tech Support is currently looking into the issue. To anyone who is interested in checking out the demos of my assets everything should hopefully be back up soon!

EDIT! Nevermind, everything is working again! :)

19. chingwa

chingwa

There have been many many people that have asked me about this bug with Unity 5.4...

material.sharedMaterialData -> smallMaterialIndex != 0

I am happy to report that this bug is NOW FIXED, and it will be included in the next update. But since it's such an annoying issue for those using 5.4 I thought I would detail how to fix this in the meantime. It took forever to track down this issue because the error reporting gives very little meaningful info about where the problem lies. I eventually had to strip out every line citing materials from the codebase til I found the problem. The issue, in fact was just one single line of code. To fix follow the below instructions:

1) Open the SCRIPTS/SuimonoObject.cs file
    2) On line 822 you'll find the below code:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. scaleRenderer.sharedMaterial.CopyPropertiesFromMaterial(surfaceRenderer.sharedMaterial);
    3) Replace this code with the following edit:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. scaleRenderer.material.CopyPropertiesFromMaterial(tempMaterial);
    4) Save the code and restart your scene.

That's it! I expect this to fix the problem in 100% of cases, but of course let me know if this continues.

BackwoodsGaming and Bagnol like this.
  20. daschatten

daschatten

Hi chingwa,

there is a semicolon missing in SuimonoGaia.cs Line 162:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. suimonoModule.setLight = lightObj
    should be:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. suimonoModule.setLight = lightObj;
    After fixing this and following the instructions in step 2 of the quick start manual i get even more errors:

Hitting play discovers more:

I'm using Unity 5.4.0f3

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
  21. chingwa

chingwa

Thanks @daschatten! Yeah, tiny little typo that causes a big annoyance for Gaia users! It's fixed for the next update.

22. daschatten

daschatten

@chingwa plz see my edits...

23. chingwa

chingwa

OK these other errors should NOT be happening. I've tested on my end in Unity 5.4.0f3 without issue. Was this an 'upgrade' installed over an old version of Suimono or a fresh install of the newest version? You're dragging the PREFABS into your scene, correct? Also, it really shouldn't matter but I recommend adding the 'Module' prefab to your scene before adding any surfaces.

24. daschatten

daschatten

Tried in a new project... works!

Deleted all suimono things in actual project (btw. it was a fresh install). Reimported, readded... works! Strange as i did the same steps before... but hey, looking really nice now!

Only backdraw... after reimporting the asset i have hex strings instead of e.g. surface types. This is because of asset serialization mode is set to force text (needed for git). Some other asset had the same problem, maybe gaia, i can't remember. Do you know a solution for this?

25. chingwa

chingwa

26. daschatten

daschatten

Thanks, solved!

Btw. it is
    Code (CSharp):
    1. [System.NonSerialized]
    instead of
    Code (CSharp):
    1. [System.Nonserialized]

27. chingwa

chingwa

Yep! You might want to do the same to the SuimonoObject.cs file as well, even though it doesn't seem to suffer from the same serialization effects.

28. daschatten

daschatten

I fixed it in these files:
    • SuimonoModule.cs
    • SuimonoModuleFX.cs
    • SuimonoObject.cs
    They all had those string Lists :)

29. daschatten

daschatten

@chingwa: I tried to use tenkoku and suimono as part of a prefab. Tenkoku works but for suimono i get these errors:

Code (CSharp):
    1. NullReferenceException
    2. UnityEngine.Material..ctor (UnityEngine.Material source) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/ShaderBindings.gen.cs:225)
    3. Suimono.Core.SuimonoObject.Start () (at Assets/SUIMONO - WATER SYSTEM 2/SCRIPTS/SuimonoObject.cs:337)
    Code (CSharp):
    1. NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    2. Suimono.Core.cameraTools.CameraUpdate () (at Assets/SUIMONO - WATER SYSTEM 2/SCRIPTS/cameraTools.cs:299)
    3. Suimono.Core.cameraTools.Start () (at Assets/SUIMONO - WATER SYSTEM 2/SCRIPTS/cameraTools.cs:103)
    Code (CSharp):
    1. NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    2. Suimono.Core.SuimonoObject.LateUpdate () (at Assets/SUIMONO - WATER SYSTEM 2/SCRIPTS/SuimonoObject.cs:390)
    Do you have an idea what causes these?

30. chingwa

chingwa

They seem to be pointing to an error with Suimono material generation. Can you elaborate on how you are using them in a prefab? I don't think I've considered this useage before, but if you explain a bit I can probably test and recreate this issue here.

31. daschatten

daschatten

I'm using a structure like that:
    • Game
      • Environment
        • Terrain
        • Time
          • Tenkoku DynamicSky
        • Water
          • Suimono_Module
          • Suimono_Surface
    Game is the prefab and i use it in multiple scenes. In the scene i created the prefab suimono works. If i put suimono in another scene directly it works too. Only the prefab usage seems to have this problem.

32. chingwa

chingwa

@daschatten I think I've isolated the issue. I've done a prefab test here on my end and was able to recreate these errors. The fix below seems to work, but let me know how it goes on your end.

Open the SuimonoObject.cs file and change line 337 from this:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. tempMaterial = new Material(suimonoObject.GetComponent<Renderer>().sharedMaterial);
    To this:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. tempMaterial = new Material(suimonoModuleLibrary.materialSurface);
    You might need to Remake your Prefab after making this change before it will work. Try it out and let me know!

33. daschatten

daschatten

@chingwa This works for me. Thank you!

34. chingwa

chingwa

Excellent. I'll incorporate this change into the next update :) This should give more stable material generation in general, and not just related to use in prefabs. Thanks for pointing this out to me!

35. Gherid_lacksGPS

Gherid_lacksGPS

Chingwa, can you speak a bit on networking / wave syncing across a network? Does the package offer a solution, do we need to implement our own, any examples?

Thanks for your time and asset, good stuff.

36. chingwa

chingwa

@Gherid_lacksGPS There is a solution for wave networking that's been included in the last few versions. It essentially just relies on wave offset being driven by a 'systemTime' variable within the main Suimono Module object. By default this variable is advanced automatically which in turn drives the wave positions. In a network scenario you can turn off the 'auto advance' on a client machine, and instead set the local 'systemTime' variable after syncing it to the same variable from the server. As long as this variable matches between client/server then the wave height and positions should also match.

37. Crossway

Crossway

Is there any compatible version with unity 5.5 b5? cause my old problem with this asset solved on the unity 5.5, so I'm going to use it again.

38. chingwa

chingwa

I haven't done a lot of testing of Suimono in Unity 5.5 yet, though I have done a cursory glance. From what I can tell the system itself is working properly. I have seen a few strange issues with the Suimono UI color not displaying properly, and also a problem with the included demo scenes not opening in 5.5... I'm not sure if these are due to beta bugs, or system changes, but I probably won't be able to look into these things any closer until 5.5 is closer to release.

Curious what problem was solved in 5.5 for you, the keyword limit? FYI, I've gone through and drastically reduced the keyword useage in Suimono for the next update... I found that using keywords, while convenient, caused other issues and wasn't 100% necessary in most cases I was using them for.

Crossway likes this.
  39. Crossway

Crossway

I had shadows and objects flickering issue because of that I couldn't use roads or water or any flat surface on the ground because from a little far distance there was flickering problem.

40. Crossway

Crossway

I returned to Unity 5.4.1 again! everything is cool with this water system but there is a performance problem after enabling dynamic reflections, it reduced my frames rate from 60 to 45! I use 25 tiled terrain and my map is big is there anyway to solve this somehow?

41. chingwa

chingwa

Hi Crossway, because Suimono re-renders your scene for Transparency and reflection functions, in many cases you will need to organize your scene somewhat specifically in order to get the best performance out of suimono. This is especially the case with terrains as they can be quite heavy depending on their settings, and particularly when it comes to tree rendering. Trees are pretty heavy for a scene to render even once, let aone multiple times. In general I usually recommend terrains and trees to be separated into two objects on their own game layers, so that you can decide what gets rendered where. (duplicate your terrain and set the original to not render tree/grass, and the duplicate to not render terrain).

For example the transparency function in Suimono only needs to render objects that are going to be underneath the water surface, so you could remove the 'tree' object/layer from the transparency layer rendering list. You can do similar layer organization for reflections, removing trees completely from this layer for best performance. Or you can even do a 3rd duplicate of the tree object and edit the settings so it only renders billboards and set this as the only reflecting object instead. This actually gives pretty good scene reflections but at a massively reduced overhead.

I go into this technique a bit on my forum here: http://tanukidigital.com/forum/index.php?topic=853.0

P_Jong likes this.
  42. Crossway

Crossway

Thanks but my new terrain doesn't have any details like tree or even splat textures, it's just a 25 tiles terrain with 512 resolution. I don't know how can I make this scene optimizer than this.

43. chingwa

chingwa

It's nothing but terrain? Try going into the settings menu on each terrain object and raising the pixel error. I usually keep this to around 8 or so. The lower this is the higher resolution your terrain will be, but at a performance cost (having it at 1 is the highest quality, but way overkill for most cases). Do you have a performance intensive terrain shader, or are you using the default?

Crossway likes this.
  44. Doctor06

Doctor06

Can i get a quick tutorial on how to get this asset to work for spherical water for planets?
    I keep playing with Module and surface ocean, but its not working for me.
    I see you did this in the 1.0 thread for Suimono, but i never saw an explanation on how you did it.
    Could you please show me how to do this? I know your asset is not for this purpose, but i know people have done it before. im just interested in the how.

Your help is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

45. chingwa

chingwa

@Doctor06 You're right in that I don't recommend Suimono for Spherical planets, as it just isn't really designed for this useage. Current version of Suimono are a far cry from the simpleness of the 1.0 version :D But depending on your sphere mesh, you might be able to get it to work by setting your Suimono 'Surface Type' to '3d waves', and enabling the 'custom mesh' option under GENERAL SETTINGS. I can add a basic unity sphere mesh here and get the water to render pretty well in a spherical shape, but I think it really depends on the particular mesh object you're using. Try adding your custom mesh with this option and see how it goes?

Also note that 3d displacement in Suimono is not setup for spherical objects, so you'll most likely want to reduce the 'height projection' option (under WAVE SETTINGS) down to 0.

46. Kiwi-Hawk

Kiwi-Hawk

Kia ora

I'm not sure whats going on here I had a totally different issue yesterday. BUT now if I have the Suimono Module loaded the default Player physic's is disabled and I fall through the terrain and I don't have any idea why.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pwa8793pd57bp0g/Unity 3D 10.12.2016 - 17.50.02.04.mp4?dl=0

A still shot of the result for reference.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/iu248yg7dhdly4e/Screenshot 2016-10-12 17.47.12.png?dl=0

I DID re-download the assets and reinstall it again to be sure it was correct, tho in saying that I did an over write rather than delete the folder and start over so not sure if that would matter, it was the same version etc as it turned out

I was after finding out if Unity had a volume / conatiner (eg; a physic volume) that we could put waters int to contain the water to a space like an invisible swimming pool that could be place where the water was wanted to keep each instance separate and unique as it own entity. This would allow better placement of lakes, water ways etc

47. chingwa

chingwa

@Kiwi-Hawk You're player is falling through the ground because it's physics are not interacting with any other project layers I think. On your screenshot you can see the player line has no check marks next to other layers. Try going through and re-checking everything to the right of 'player' on the left and down from 'player' at the top. (everything except the suimono_water layer).

If you find that suimono is automatically removing these 'player' checkmarks then it sounds like there's a layer setup issue. In that case this is what I recommend...

1) remove the suimono surface and module from your scene.
    2) remove the suimono image effect from your camera.
    3) go to Project Settings/Tags and Layers and delete any Suimono-specific layers.
    4) save, quit, and restart your project.
    5) now add the Suimono Module back into your scene from the prefabs folder.
    6) add the Suimono Surface back into your scene from the prefabs folder.

The above should reset the layer assignments that Suimono uses. If you still run into trouble then let me know.

EDIT: OK, I just watched the video (couldn't view it on my first read for some reason). Yes I think the layer references in Suimono are messed up. Try the above steps and let me know if it helps!

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
  48. Kiwi-Hawk

Kiwi-Hawk

Kia ora

I followed the instructions above but I could not see the surface when dropped into the scene
    so I totally removed the asset and re-imported it, still doing the same

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    Suimono.Core.SuimonoModule.CalculateHeights (Vector3 testObject) (at Assets/SUIMONO - WATER SYSTEM 2/SCRIPTS/SuimonoModule.cs:1355)
    Suimono.Core.SuimonoModule.SuimonoGetHeightAll (Vector3 testObject) (at Assets/SUIMONO - WATER SYSTEM 2/SCRIPTS/SuimonoModule.cs:1212)
    Suimono.Core.SuimonoModule.StoreSurfaceHeight () (at Assets/SUIMONO - WATER SYSTEM 2/SCRIPTS/SuimonoModule.cs:714)

I turned off the second lake and it all came right,. so I turned on the second lake and now it's all working so beats me whats going on. Unity doesn't have any sort of Volumetric or Physic's Volume that could contain the lake as an invisible container at all does it? I'm trying to have two lakes at different heights and will have a water flow between them I hope

49. chingwa

chingwa

Don't think Unity has anything like that. Are you trying to use two different lakes on top of each other? In a case like this Suimono will assume you are always inside the top-most body of water. However you should be able to do multiple levels of water as long as they don't directly overlap, just make sure neither of them are set to 'infinite ocean' mode.

50. Stormy102

Stormy102

After learning that Ceto is to be depreciated, we have to look elsewhere for an ocean/water system. What would be helpful to know is if Suimono can be synced across the network? As we want the feature for syncing the player position on the ocean so players can accurate shoot at ocean AI and other players. Is this possible?

Matt