Search Unity

Suggestion for Job Seeking Forum

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Polywick-Studio, Oct 9, 2014.

1. Polywick-Studio

Polywick-Studio

Today tried updating my own post on Job Seeking to show some new stuff we were working on.

I get:
    (You have insufficient privileges to reply here.)

I understand the need for the forum mods to reduce the number of moderation requests, notably, uber-bumping, multiple threads on the Job Seeking, Job offering forums.

I suggest the following for Job Seeking:

• Do not allow post deletion. That will stop Uber bump-pah-rump bumping threads where someone keeps deleting posts and then post a new post, to get top-listed.
    • Only allow 1 thread per person on Job seeking. That will stop duplicate threads. There's nothing wrong having just one thread and multiple posts inside it. Or wrong?
    • Only allow posting with attachments. That makes sense. If there's nothing to post about, don't allow a post. It would be very easy to spot the plagiarist.
    • Allow editing Job-seeking posts to add more attachments to the last post.

And...
    • Disbarment from posting at Jobs-Seeking if violated.

Oh, and here's my Work-in-Progress for an AAA steam-punk game. Available for more cool Unity work :)

steampunk_male_plate.jpg

2. carking1996

carking1996

Yeah I don't like not being able to bump. My thread is far behind the pages..

3. RJ-MacReady

RJ-MacReady

If you apply for a job and nobody replies, do you get to retry your application?

carking1996 likes this.
  4. Polywick-Studio

Polywick-Studio

Not sure, I'm referring to the Job-Seeking section, not the Job-posting section.

5. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

Disallowing post deletion won't discourage bumping, users do it even without deleting their previous thread.

I don't think there is a way to limit it to one thread per person, additionally, you still have the issue of useless replies.

We cannot specify only being able to post with an attachment.

You can edit your own OP.

6. Polywick-Studio

Polywick-Studio

I did, it didn't go to the top of the forum.

@Aurore,

Can you buy this and install it as a Xenforo forum add-on?

https://xenforo.com/community/resources/extra-max-thread-time-limit-per-node.2311/

This addon will allow you to define how many and how often threads may be created on a per usergroup and node basis.

acp.png

and can you buy this and install the Resource Manager mod for Xenforo:

Resource manager.
    https://xenforo.com/community/resources/categories/resource-manager.37/

That would make it a heck lot easier to manage the Jobs section.

PROTOFACTOR_Inc and carking1996 like this.
  7. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

didn't see that thread before posting mine. Something need to be done regarding the job seeking. Bump!

8. Aurore

Aurore

I don't see how timing new threads would solve the issue, the issue is with people responding with useless posts and hyper bumping.

If anything, we need the ability for only the OP to be able to reply, then we need to make sure people don't abuse that right for excessive bumps.

9. Polywick-Studio

Polywick-Studio

> hen we need to make sure people don't abuse that right for excessive bumps.

1) You can set per-specific forum non-deletion rule specific to forum section. This is Xenforo, not VBulletin.

2) Not sure how to prevent excessive bumps, but you can try something like put a schedule like 2 replies a week max and only 1 unique thread per person on that forum.

https://xenforo.com/community/resources/extra-max-thread-time-limit-per-node.2311/

Do you want the community to group-buy and donate that add-in to Unity? :)

carking1996 likes this.
  10. Aurore

Aurore

I'm confused by non deletion rule.

Ah I get why timed things would be beneficial now.

A group buy wouldn't be necessary, but a lovely gesture :)

11. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

Make this happen aurore, please. There are a lot of people here willing to play by the rules. And this Add-on would mostly enforce that. Really consider this.
    Thanks.

ippdev and carking1996 like this.
  12. ippdev

ippdev

I was surprised when I visited the job offering forum last night. There wasn't the never ending hustler line-up spamming the eff out of every new post. It was encouraging. Now..if we can just get the job seeking forum humming along with some fair to all rules and stop the never ending hustler spam over there it might be worthwhile to peruse as well.

13. Aurore

Aurore

Just an update, I found this https://xenforo.com/community/resources/thread-starter.3074/ which limits responses to only the OP and allows for the option of a time limit on bumps. It's scheduled to be deployed with a bunch of back-end stuff quite soon, assuming the plugin works, if it doesn't then we'll use the other one that was suggested.

14. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

Great news. Thanks for the update Aurore.

15. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

Hey Aurore, before you guys were asking OP to not bump their thread more than every 6 days or a week. and it was needed to have something new to show or something pretty important to tell. Will that still be the case? or are we still going to see :"bump" from some people? Also, sometimes freelancers are under NDA and can't showcase what they created for their clients... Might be a little tricky here maybe. Anyways that's really nice you guys took into consideration our concerns.
    Keep it up! :)

16. Aurore

Aurore

We'll probably still the "bump" for those who can't show their work, because of the NDA reasons you stated and also there are programmers looking for work too, I can't remember the last time someone was like "hey this is my awesome codes" :) So it makes sense that it's not required to show new work. I think we can work out bump rate together when we implement the plugin.

carking1996 likes this.
  17. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

Any ETA regarding this Add-On implementation? As I foresaw it, people are creating new threads... Worse, they even create a new thread each time they would thing about bumping... Some already created 3 threads in a week... none have been closed by any moderators... I think the bumping before was better now... You guys definitely need to fix this issue. As I already said some people are willing to play by the rules ( me first, or second... who know... :) )
    Thanks in advance for giving us an update on the situation.

all the best,

18. Aurore

Aurore

Have you reported these threads?

Edit. Martin isn't online today so I can't check up on the status of the plugin, but I will on Monday.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
  19. Polywick-Studio

Polywick-Studio

@Aurore, any ETA on the forum integration add-on?

Oh, and here's my latest AAA quality update. :)

Blacksmith_head_detail.jpg

20. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

nope I didn't report those threads...I thought the report thread was more for something really wrong ... (insults, racist content, sexual etc ...)

21. Aurore

Aurore

No, you can report duplicate threads and threads in the wrong forum too. @Polywick Studio Please see my last post.

22. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

So...??? Wassup with the status? Don't mean to be annoying... but you said you were going to check on your guy this monday...

Thanks in advance for sharing the info.

Best,

23. Aurore

Aurore

I did check, I've got nothing new. I'm waiting for them to get back to me now.

24. Darkoo

Darkoo

What about moving from job seeking mentality to outsourcing/3d artist/programmer/etc seeking forum. Where the one with the job cant starts a thread with info on the project/job and others can replay with contact info and resume. then when the position is filled the thread owner can disable the thread or mark it somehow.

25. Aurore

Aurore

Woo, it's scheduled for this sprint which means in about a week, at most two depending how testing goes as we are bundling other updates and plugins as well.

26. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

Hey Aurore! Glad to get some updates on the situation. thanks for the heads up! :)

27. Aurore

Aurore

If all goes well, updates should be live tomorrow.

carking1996 and randomperson42 like this.
  28. randomperson42

randomperson42

By the way there's a typo under the showcase forum:
    Capture.PNG

carking1996 likes this.
  29. Aurore

Aurore

Whoops, sorry.

30. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

Hey Aurore, how are the tests doing? great I hope. thanks in advance for sharing the ETA.
    Cheers! :)

31. Aurore

Aurore

32. Polywick-Studio

Polywick-Studio

33. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

you can't bump an old thread, however the newly created one after this update can be bumped. Just created a new one last Friday and it's possible for me to write something. So yeah, it's definitely working now! :)
    Awesome work, Unity's forum team! Thanks a bunch for that.

34. Aurore

Aurore

You can now, I broke it, then I fixed it again.

35. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

ah ok cool. Will have to check it out then.... One thing though, why are we restricted to 20 pictures max on a post? Especially when we're not uploading them to the site? As long as we're hosting the pictures on our server / web site, it shouldn't be an issue... Or am I totally wrong?

36. Aurore

Aurore

I actually didn't realise that was a thing, let me check it out, but 20 is quite a lot, specially as it's per post and not per thread.

37. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

well, on my end I have a thread where the first post needs to show the 30 creatures of a pack I'm working on... so 20 here just screws me! :) all the pictures are hosted on my website and not uploaded to the forum servers... There are some case scenario like that where it might be needed. If you can look into that it would be awesome. same for my commercial thread, there is a lot of stuff I want to show...

Thanks in advance Aurore :) You're awesome

38. Polywick-Studio

Polywick-Studio

> restricted to 20 pictures max on a post

Well... The washing machine guy don't put 20 pictures of washing machines :)
    Only the developers and artists here does.

39. Polywick-Studio

Polywick-Studio

> you can't bump an old thread, however the newly created one after this update can be bumped.

Yes, I see it now... Will do. Thanks :)

40. TheOwl

TheOwl

I get the same thing, I can't reply or send private messages to collaboration and job posters who do not share their email address.

41. Polywick-Studio

Polywick-Studio

Is it possible to bring back ability for others to reply to the Commercial - Job Seeking section?

It would be nice if customers could reply to thread.

42. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Until you get a rouge one that takes up his dispute on your thread. You can always copy paste their feedback in.

Polywick-Studio likes this.
  43. Rodesqa

Rodesqa

Lol when did unity become facebook? whats with the likes? 0.0 morning all :)

Kiwasi likes this.