Search Unity

[Submitted] Sprite To Voxel - Convert Sprite Texture into an Optimized Voxel Mesh

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by SuperSpaceport, Mar 15, 2016.

1. SuperSpaceport

SuperSpaceport

Create Optimized Voxel models as easily as dragging and dropping a sprite!
    Store Link: http://u3d.as/oY3

Drag and drop your sprite onto the SpriteToVoxel GameObject Script in the Hierarchy and press play.

The script will then generate Meshes for each color, optimize them, generate Materials based on the Pixel color, saves them to disk and then loads them back into the scene as a Prefab, which is saved to disk. You won't even need to change the textures import settings.

Your prefab will be scale-able to your liking and you have to ability change the depths of each color. You are not locked into using one Material! Add your own Materials and Shaders to make truly unique and attractive Voxel Asset.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
  2. JacooGamer

JacooGamer

Nice asset. Will be watching for this!

3. SuperSpaceport

SuperSpaceport

Thank you for your interest. We're happy to announce that Sprite To Voxel has been accepted and published to the Asset Store. http://u3d.as/oY3 :)

4. JacooGamer

JacooGamer

Great,
    Shame its closed source though, I would need to modify it for my needs. I think I found a similar script before, source included for the same price.
    Risk is if the other script is still under dev.
    Is it possible for the script to accept a texture2D and extrapolate out the mesh from that?

5. SuperSpaceport

SuperSpaceport

Yes, you pass in the texture and it creates the meshes, materials and prefabs and saves them to disk.
    The problem with other similar assets is that they take zero effort in optimizing the meshes & what is created from them is unusable within a game unless you use very small scenes and sprites, due to their number of vertices.

With Sprite To Voxel you can create scenes from games like "Deer God" very quickly and easily from basic sprites.

You really shouldn't try to build assets using any of these scripts on the fly. Creating assets and saving them to prefabs to create a scene will work best. I suppose it could be possible to do it if you really wanted to and you're sprites were basic & limited, however.

6. kenlem1

kenlem1

I'm interested but I don't buy assets that don't include source.

7. recon0303

recon0303

Do this only work with Unity 2d sprites/? or can we use 2D tool kit asset?? I do not use Unity Sprites...I know many others are like me as well. Since we love tools like NGUI 2D tool kit, etc..

If not source would be nice ..

8. SuperSpaceport

SuperSpaceport

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "2D tool kit asset" but it does work with all common image file types that any tool kit would be built on top of. png, jpg, gif, etc.

It directly reads the data from the images and then reproduces it into cubes, combines them by color and then optimizes it so that you don't use an unnecessary # of tris and saves it to disk as a prefab.

Thank you for your interest.

9. recon0303

recon0303

oh sounds like your new since you have 4 posts sorry, 2D tool kit is a known tool that has been around for years before Unity had a good tool for 2d.

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/908

Many Unity vets have used this tool and grown to love it.

Edit: Actually 2d tool kit may not be needed, many of us, use it to batch our sprites as well, so that won't be needed, so Never mind...

10. SuperSpaceport

SuperSpaceport

I don't have any experience with this specific toolkit & cannot verify any compatibility with other paid assets.
    But it will work with your raw image files.

11. recon0303

recon0303

It won't be needed anyways after I thought about it.. I wasn't thinking clear, long night so disregard.

12. karmik

karmik

How to do i animate the voxel model generated?
    Perhaps a demo video of animating the created model like creating walk / attack animation will be helpful to decide

desflagratio likes this.
  13. desflagratio

desflagratio

Can I export to zbrush in a single .obj? Is there a limit to the image size or pixel to be transformed? I tried so images and it didn't work.