Search Unity

sub €200,- texture painting tool?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kloper, Aug 17, 2014.

1. Kloper

Kloper

I am looking for a tool where I can load 3D objects and pain textures in layers on them.
    For example, load a sphere, paint it with a metal texture, then load another picture with a logo in it.. and just paint that logo over the metal texture.

I know that Blender has that function, but I don't feel very comfortable with it, so I was hoping for a tool that is not too expensive and does only that, but well!

2. SnowInChina

SnowInChina

you could use 3d coat
    but it costs more (you could wait for a sale)
    photoshop also has something like that, but as far as i know its not really that good

and then there are some options like mudbox, zbrush, mari, bodypaint which are really expensive..

your best bet with this budget would be blender
    texture painting has gotten some improvements lately, just look for a build at graphicall.org

3. CaoMengde777

CaoMengde777

4. Breyer

Breyer

I think the best fit is substance painter since it have pbr workflow (classic too) and indie version (alone painter is less than 100 $ but u could buy pack with substance designer and premade shaders which is less than 200 $ as far as i remember)

5. deram_scholzara

deram_scholzara

I like Substance Painter a lot.

6. Kloper

Kloper

the tool looks amazing.. didn't know this one!
    how ever, the 10k//year as indie is a bit low.. i get that much with my current job that hast nothing to do with games :/

7. giyomu

giyomu

+1 for substance painter as well and there indy package is really affordable

8. ZJP

ZJP

Substance Painter here..

9. Ippokratis

Ippokratis

Mudbox costs around 150$ per year

10. Ippokratis

Ippokratis

And MeshMixer is free too.

11. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Definitely substance painter... and it is gonna get so much better. I have the entire Allegorithmic suite and it is totally worth it. Substance Painter is still $75 I think on steam.

12. Murgilod

Murgilod

Substance Painter is wonderful, like most people here are saying.

13. p87

p87

Mudbox is 10$ a month now. I don't think it does PBR yet, though.

substance painter is nice. Right now, it *only* has a PBR workflow, though.

14. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

Try Sculptris (from the ZBrush guys), it's free.

15. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

For the price - Substance Painter. Absolutely.
    Still in Beta but absolutely worth the money.

Keep in mind - over 10k freelance income you need to buy Pro as soon as it's released, though.
    Still worth the money.

KRGraphics likes this.
  16. Wacky-Moose

Wacky-Moose

quixel suite i cant remember the price but its pretty cheap and pretty amazing :)

KRGraphics likes this.
  17. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

Quixel needs Photoshop on top as well to function.

KRGraphics and Wacky-Moose like this.
  18. Wacky-Moose

Wacky-Moose

Ahh yea thats true :)

KRGraphics likes this.
  19. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

+1

20. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

... also the Quixel suite does not support directly painting on meshes.

It is a powerful and really good tool but it's not a projection painter.

21. ChrisSch

ChrisSch

If you have money, go with Substance Painter like most are saying. I don't, so I'm using Blender.

I just started painting for the first time a few days ago, so I pretty much suck, but here's what I got with Blender:

1.PNG 2.PNG 4.PNG 5.PNG 6.PNG

I used only the Blender's one brush, and didn't use any layers. There's a few more screens here if you wanna see. :p

If you're not comfortable with Blender(neither am I but I'm getting used to it) try the Zero Brush Addon for it. I didn't try it yet (I wanna get a bit more comfortable with Blender painting first), but I'm definitely gonna soon, because it looks like it pretty much significantly fills Blender's voids.

KRGraphics likes this.
  22. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

That doesn't include your day job. The $10k is your indie income.

KRGraphics likes this.
  23. zendorf

zendorf

The Substance Indie Pack is a steal for the price and covers all the bases. Currently on sale for $199.

The next version of Blender (2.72) will have much more solid painting tools and is becoming more viable all the time. Decent layers and symmetry painting are the main missing features at the moment.

24. nipoco

nipoco

Blender is not bad for simple painting tasks. But like with sculpting, you're better off with dedicated software for more advanced tasks.

So Substance Painter, or 3dcoat for me.

ChrisSch and KRGraphics like this.
  25. ZJP

ZJP

Blender 2.72 Painting. Cool.

Ryiah and ChrisSch like this.
  26. ChrisSch

ChrisSch

Substance Painter one day I shall haz you! :'(

In the meantime, Blender is being more than awesome to me when it come to painting. Even tho I'm using just the ordinary brush and one layer. Here's progress on my previous post: Modular House - How It Looks Like In Unity

I have to say, Blender surprises me over and over again. It looks like its capable of everything, but its not as user friendly as some commercial software like Substance Painter, and you do need a bit of skill to make it look as good, but overall its great. :D

Gonna try Zero Brush addon for Blender today I think.

27. janpec

janpec

Substance painter isnt bad idea, its quite quick to use and finish software but if you want proper control over all maps of object there has to be proper painting software used like 3d coat, Mudbox, Photoshop or similar. Since you want to have 3d object loaded and painting with layers i would suggest you to use Mudbox becouse from all softwares out there Mudbox has the best and most robust - easy to use texture painting tools, with quick layering functions that Photoshop has. 3D coat is still completly on lower level compared to Mudbox for painting, and so is Zbrush.
    However with that said Mudbox will cost you 350 euro, which is above price probably you are looking for, but its well worth it.

KRGraphics likes this.
  28. ChrisSch

ChrisSch

Just tried Substance Painter trial. Indie is relatively cheap (only 99$). Anyway, my comp is too weak for it. So sticking to good ol' Blendah for now. xD

29. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

If you can and/vor want to afford it - there is also Cinema 4D prime With bodypaint integrated. Very very robust but takes time getting used to.
    Then there's also specialized programs like Mari.

I'd say: Stick to Blender for the time being, though. :)

30. zendorf

zendorf

C4D has been my main 3d app for a long time, but I wouldn't recommend buying it for Bodypaint. Once upon a time the painting features were a state of the art piece of tech used by Sony, etc, but BP has long been relegated to the dustbin by Maxon. Ironically the sculpting is more solid than the painting features now, but the sculpting and painting features can't be used together as they are completely separate toolsets.

31. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Behold the power of Substance Designer... :) for $75 you CAN'T beat this. I would have spent days in Photoshop trying to paint these textures Screenshot 2014-08-27 20.28.45.png

32. Paddington_Bear

Paddington_Bear

Provided you're not publishing commercially Autodesk Mudbox is the way to go for a bunch of stuff. Its super simple and free if you're a student.
    If you've got some more experience with textures and different workflows then @Neptune_Imaging is correct, SD is excellent.

33. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Correction, I am using Substance Painter in that shot.

34. Paddington_Bear

Paddington_Bear

To be honest, no matter the tools I attempt to use I always come back to PS.

Wacky-Moose likes this.
  35. janpec

janpec

Exactly.