Search Unity

Stylised shader

Discussion in 'Shaders' started by SenSei_PL, May 24, 2016.

1. SenSei_PL

SenSei_PL

2. MSplitz-PsychoK

MSplitz-PsychoK

You don't get a look like that simply by adding a "stylized shader". You have to use a combination of special effects and a series of shaders to go along with this. Unity 5.4 is supposed to have some features to make stylized looks easier to implement, and they have a good video of a scene showing one effect added at a time to show the transition from a normal-looking scene to a stylized scene.

So really, you just need to find the right combination of effects for your game. To get the look in the screenshot you gave, they had a good mix of 2D and 3D, vibrant and contrasting colors, lots of warm, bright colors in the foreground, cooler gentler colors with less detail in the background. As far as screen filters, they've got bright specular with subtle bloom, uniform blur, blurring of objects that aren't in focus, etc. My point is that a LOT goes into making those looks, not just a simple shader.

3. Namey5

Namey5

A shader is per object/material, so there's no clear reference as to which look you are going for in relation to this image.

4. bgolus

bgolus

Overwatch appears to use a fairly realistic shading model, not far off from Unity's standard shader, though with additional shaders for skin and hair that Unity doesn't ship with. Their style comes almost purely from the art itself.

5. SenSei_PL

SenSei_PL

OK thanks for all answers. I have another question about shaders and post processing. How to use and write custom post process on Unity Free? I need write atmospheric scattering and volumetric fog and lights for my project. You have tutorials how to create this? And how shading model used in unity?

6. Namey5

Namey5

Post processing is generally done with rendertextures (can be done otherwise, but is extremely power intensive), which requires Pro unless you have Unity 5 or above.

7. SenSei_PL

SenSei_PL

[Quote = "Namey5, poczta: 2652666, członek: 336275"]. Post przetwarzanie jest zwykle wykonane z rendertextures (można to zrobić w inny sposób, ale jest niezwykle moc intensywne), która wymaga Pro, chyba że masz Unity 5 lub nowszy [/ quote] Unity 5.4 version. But its nonsense that there is no avilable in free version ... Unreal have all functionality for free ...

8. Namey5

Namey5

If you have Unity 5.4 you can do it. Unity comes with a collection of image effects in the 'Effects' asset package. As for volumetric lighting, (there is a volume fog shader built-in, but it doesn't work with lighting without modification) I believe one of the higher threads on the shader forums is about a package like this.

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/true-volumetric-lights-now-open-source.390818/page-3#post-2620120