Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Student version ?

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by EISOBAX, Jan 4, 2012.

1. EISOBAX

EISOBAX

I see lots of people using the student version of max and maya with the intention to use them in a commercial game. the student license says that assets made in the student version are not allowed to be used in any commercial products, but my question is, how can they find out if your assets are made in a student license ?

EDIT i have pro, this is a question for the people who don't have pro

Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  2. polytropoi

polytropoi

Here's what you do:

1. Take all the energy you're using trying to circumvent the Autodesk clampdown, combine it with your strongest desire to learn modelling and animation and make games, and mix well.

2. Download and install Blender - it's free!

3. Apply the mixture from step 1 to Blender, and bake at medium heat until golden brown.

To answer your question, fbx exports may be tagged with license info, but I don't think .obj files are. Perhaps you should direct your infringement-related questions to the Autodesk forums, where they'll no doubt be happy to "help" you.

nabarun1011 likes this.
  3. McDev02

McDev02

Next question: How can they find out if your assets are made without any license?

4. EISOBAX

EISOBAX

actually i own 3ds max pro, this is more a question for anyone who owns student, but thanks for the info anyway

5. ivanzu

ivanzu

Not worth a risk,rather use blender then to take a risk with pirated/student 3dsmax and then get sued by 5x amount of 3dsmax price thats my suggestion.

6. polytropoi

polytropoi

If you "own" the student version, you don't really own much at all. The intent here is clearly to circumvent the student license, and use if for commercial purposes. I've far seen too much of this; there is no justification for it. If you can't or don't want to pay, learn to use free or cheaper alternatives, making yourself and the world a better place.

7. lukasaurus

lukasaurus

Slightly related, can you use the student versions to release free games?

8. ivanzu

ivanzu

9. McDev02

McDev02

But keep in mind, an application with advertisements for example is for commercial purpose too.

10. Bula

Bula

Didn't read much of this post.....So I could reapead someone idea......It can be seen just by going to the engine of the file.....The engine of the file can be seen very easy....So if you start a cube in blender and export it in 3ds max you will see in game engline :

Blender

3Ds Max

The main problem about this is......Is going 3ds max to risk their money trying to catch a 3ds max stundent?
    Well......basicaly yes.......But many 3ds amx student buy the PRO version.....So if you buy the PRO after you publish the game is not problem......They are looking to buy their product.....They don't want to catch you stealing.....They just want someone to buy their product

11. WedgeBob

WedgeBob

Yeah, if you buy the pro version, might as well head to your local gas station and buy a few scratch-offs and hit the jackpot...unless you are lucky enough to save up that much money after a few months, then by all means. Just a shame that Autodesk doesn't do different tiers of pricing unlike some modeling software companies *cough*Side FX*cough*.

12. rik338

rik338

So .Fbx files are really tagged with licinse info? *deletes all .Fbx files*

13. Bula

Bula

Every program that a model been thorugh appears in the model engine....Basicaly imposible to trick Autodesk

14. themaniac

themaniac

If you use only what you make, your own models, scripts, and not all the resoureces you download from the internet you can have less trouble with copyright issues.
    As for 3ds max license and unity student license, as long as you use the software to learn to create and why not to show it on the web, I don't think it could get you in the trouble.

15. typane

typane

I used maya for quite sometime. I absolutely hate blender with a passion. But in the name of commercial games I have to use it.

16. Schlumpfsack

Schlumpfsack

everytime i see someone that has problems with flipped normals or intersecting faces but claims to have the full version of either maya or max, i love and cry at the same time.

17. WedgeBob

WedgeBob

Then there's others that use programs like Hexagon, Carrara, Bryce, etc... that use the Pro versions of those, but fail to plug down for that extra $500 fee to use models made in those in Unity...wonder if DAZ would crack down on people that don't pay that fee to use models in games rather than general 3D art use.

18. sama-van

sama-van

Its written into Maya files you daily save on your HDD.

Bought both Maya and Photoshop license 3 years ago thinking it was the time.
    I think it is a good thing to be into the right way when game development is your main income.

Still have 40yo colleague they continue to crack they copy of Maya or else. I feel sorry for them.

Finally they can choose buying a Ps3 with 10 games or buying a Maya software license.
    Complete geek life cracking software is weird. It means they didn't reach adult age or something's wrong here.

EDIT : I also think that is VERY good thing that MegaDownload is down and the guy to the jail for his entire life.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  19. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I have a pirate version of gimp and a pirated version of blender. Will I get in trouble if I make my game which will be pirated with those?

20. Schlumpfsack

Schlumpfsack

only if you use the pirated Unity Indie version.

21. WedgeBob

WedgeBob

Hmm... Then what happens when you have a pirated copy of Mozilla Firefox to run Web games on? LOL.

22. lukasaurus

lukasaurus

Another question : Can you use the student version of 3ds max and free version of Unity, distribute a game for free, and then offer a donation link on the website, fielding donations - not for the game, but to fund the purchase of a 3dsmax license, to further develop the game (or if you were less inclined to actually purchase 3dsmax, say a donation to help "pay the rent" - but not a direct purchase for the game. ie, donating gives the donator nothing, and they can choose to do it or not, unrelated to whether they download the free game.

I'm not planning on doing this because I don't have anything worth selling. I'm just wondering if that is possible.

23. WedgeBob

WedgeBob

Hmm... That's a good question. I know that I use the student version of Max, Mudbox and Maya with Unity free on my laptop (yeah, Max *and* Maya, it was hard to decide between the two), and I've mainly have used Unity to showcase essembles of art works through level design primarily, but I assume you could do freeware games, too. Haven't really gone beyond just level design and 3D art at this point...

Although on my desktop, I've been using lesser modeling tools with Unity free and that other engine that begins with the letter U, which with those lesser modeling tools I could do some profit work if I wanted to, but it would be another $500 for a vague license to do so. So if you want to do for-profit work, you'd better be learning Blender, Milkshape, Hexagon, TrueSpace (I think 7.6 can be used commercially, not sure), or the like...and use those for some work on the cheap.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  24. SouthTuna

SouthTuna

You know, GIMP and blender are freeware...

25. Sir-Tiddlesworth

Sir-Tiddlesworth

It was a joke.

26. Zarenityx

Zarenityx

If gimp and blender are both free, is it really pirating anyway? Also, what if you convert the model to a different format, then back to FBX in blender? Could that circumvent the tags that Autodesk puts on it?

27. Teila

Teila

Sorry to bring up an old topic, but I have a question. We are using the educational version of Maya LT so my high school daughter can learn to model. Now she has decided she would like to sell some items on the asset store so we purchased the commercial license for her.

However, when asking Autodesk about the conversion of items she made with the student version, I can't seem to get a straight answer. Honestly, I don't think they know. Will saving in the commercial version remove the educational mark on the items? Or will she have to redo all her work?

One gem I found on a forum somewhere says that things she made in the educational version can't be sold, regardless of whether we purchase the commercial license later. That just seems silly to me. I would think they would encourage buying the commercial license not discourage.

Anyone know? Thanks. I appreciate the help. She wants to make UMA assets and since I need them, I am trying to give her all the encouragement I can! :)

28. Saltysugar

Saltysugar

I am new and also a student. However, Maya as a student saves with a code claiming a student has created this whatever it is. Animation or model, still the behind scenes a file is still written to tell people that this is a student edition creation. Hence, use Blender.org to import the 3D models into so no one gets sued. Unless you have enough money to purchase Maya or Unity, 3DS Max or any expensive program. I say stick with being a learner until you can cash in being a worker for these companies. Exactly what I am doing trying to be legit and its hard.

29. Teila

Teila

Thanks. We are buying Maya LT but she has models she made using the student edition that she wants to use. I am guessing from your answer that she will have to toss them away. Too bad. It would be nice if Autodesk at least allowed her to resave them in her newly purchased commercial copy and strip the educational tag. Building a good relationship with young people might be a good thing.

30. Tom_Timothy

Tom_Timothy

Randomly hit this topic looking for away to check water marks. FYI any model touch a file from the educational will keep having the water mark even if its moved programs or goes into a commercial version of maya, nothing can be transferred not one vert just FYI.

31. Teila

Teila

Thanks, Tom. I figured that out. My daughter tossed Maya LT for Blender and I purchased Maya LT for me. :) We are both happy. I was going to buy a copy of Maya LT for her but she says she prefers Blender.

32. AxelGabal

AxelGabal

Hi, I'm thinking about loading a free asset into the unity asset store, but I did it with the Maya student version. Although it's free, any company may want to use it with commercial purpose, so...how do they control this? I know it won't be my problem, but I'm just curious.

33. Teila

Teila

I wouldn't do that if I were you. I doubt the Asset store would be happy. I know I wouldn't if I found out I put an object done in a student version of software.

34. ClarkSHEN

ClarkSHEN

Teila likes this.