Search Unity

Student Learning?

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by cshank, Jul 23, 2014.

1. cshank

cshank

As this is my first thread here on the Unity community boards, I would just like to say hello and introduce myself somewhat to everyone. I'm currently a Senior majoring in Software Engineering, and while the field itself doesn't specifically deal with games, I am also aspiring to create a game/games of my own. That being said, I have no end of ideas for a game, but at the same time I am fairly new to using the Unity Engine, and just wondered after playing with 3D Modeling for the first time for the past few hours if anyone would mind giving me some tips on getting started.

I've investigated and watched quite a few tutorial videos on working with the engine, but either I'm getting myself stuck on basics, the idea I want to create is too large for my experience level, or I'm trying to go in a wrong direction anyways. I'm fairly confident in my ability to be able to create code snippets of my own for a project... but a game isn't solely that, or I'd have made one already.

I would very much appreciate being able to communicate and ask questions to someone who has a good amount of experience working with Unity to help me get started. And honestly, before anyone asks; if I had a clue about where to get started, I'd have only made a thread to ask specific questions.

I appreciate any and every response that has a helpful intention, and I hope to be able to create something that I and others can enjoy!