Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Strumpy Shader Editor [Now Open Source]

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Tim-C, Aug 2, 2010.

1. frankrs

frankrs

yes, its an ongoing thread

2. env_warby

env_warby

thanks @ kerfluffles for the theme color fix =)

3. frogsbo

frogsbo

There must be 1000ds of shaders made with Strumpy Shader Editor. It would be cool to make a thread of "please upload your Strumpy Creations here to make a collection of strumpy shaders", and Unify Wiki is also a great place to share shaders.

4. henkjan

henkjan

Newbie question:
    I'm starting with Strumpy Shader Editor in Unity 4.3 Pro. So I use the default dark skin in Unity.
    But then the text in the nodes are not readable (except when a node is highlighted)

$strumpy.JPG

Is there a way to fix this?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  5. NukeAndBeans

NukeAndBeans

6. NukeAndBeans

NukeAndBeans

No problem! Glad to be of help.

7. Akira_san

Akira_san

Ive imported the Strumpy Shader Editor and every time i start it the cpu goes up, whats going on here?

8. henkjan

henkjan

9. kurt_hectic

kurt_hectic

FYI

I spend 2 days on test and willing to export proper Unity alpha! Not alpha transparent, Unity's alpha, a base to Glow FX. Without it my models was white in Alpha mode and that couse problems....

What I did:
    for custom slot I attached rgba diffuse- a regular texture. "A" went to specular slot and at the end of the day I got what I wanted!:
    Good colors
    proper alpha in alpha preview
    working glow FX
    alpha channel of a texture as specular

$755b04f62c.jpg

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  10. GMM

GMM

Does the previewer have any issues with Unity 4? When updating, it just keeps showing the RimLightning graph, making it very tedious to go back and forth.

Edit: Getting the latest version from the Git fixed this, but now the text blurs into the boxes.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  11. nipoco

nipoco

Why don't you just buy Shader Forge which is 100 times better and more advanced, than SSE which is outdated and broken?

12. GMM

GMM

I think i will buy Shader Forge later this week, Strumpy is pretty good so far, but it is a bit outdated yeah.

13. kurt_hectic

kurt_hectic

Coz Shader Forge doesn't work with Deferred Lighting...

+

I don't know how to export a screen alpha without touching an "alpha" slot. Like I did I this editor:

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  14. CptBonex

CptBonex

So Im in the need of a shader like the MatCap shaders on assets store but I want to merge it with one of my existing shaders in strumpy. I have been trying for a while now but I cant seem to figure out how to make a matcap shader in strumpy. I there someone that has done it before or knows how to do it?

15. vishal0035

vishal0035

Hey is it possible to make vertex animation like the shader forge "Torus Knot vertex Animation" in strumpy shader

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
  16. frankrs

frankrs

I've done some shadders with vertex animation.In my case I paitned the vertex colors and animated them according to their color channels

17. CptBonex

CptBonex

Maybe if I simplify my question. This is what I need help with:

I need to get the normal of the models surface relative to the camera so I then can use it together with one of these

$8492.jpg

to put texture on my models. Its used in modeling software like zbrush and sculptris.
    however I don't know how to get the screen space normal. please help. Its very important.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
  18. Gekigengar

Gekigengar

I am trying to achieve this effect, any hints to what I should do?

19. frankrs

frankrs

I'd start with normal bump, cubemaped emmision and a slider to control the alpha with blend mode set to additive. Though it looks like there might be some refraction there.

20. tswalk

tswalk

incase anyone grabs from Git and needs to correct the GUI style in use, you can modify line#: 264 in Node.cs

Code (csharp):
    1. GUI.color = Color.white;
    to:

Code (csharp):
    1. GUI.color = new Vector4(0.7f, 0.7f, 0.7f, 0.5f);

(adjust color and transparency as you like there)

and you'll need to modify the WindowStyle setup found a line#: 218 in Node.cs

Code (csharp):
    1. get { return EditorGUIUtility.GetBuiltinSkin(EditorSkin.Inspector).window; }
    to: (something like this, it works for me though)

Code (csharp):
    2. get {
    3. GUIStyle newStyle = EditorGUIUtility.GetBuiltinSkin(EditorGUIUtility.isProSkin ? EditorSkin.Scene : EditorSkin.Inspector).window;
    4.                     newStyle.fontStyle = FontStyle.Normal;
    5.                     newStyle.normal.textColor = Color.white;
    6.                     newStyle.onNormal.textColor = Color.white;
    7.                     return newStyle;
    8. }

enjoy!

21. marggob

marggob

Is it possible to add the ability to control the levels of MIP? Of course, I can add that by hand, but it is not convenient.

22. cupsster

cupsster

It is called MatCap Shader. Google it you will find it along with balls to use and utility (main purpose was ZBrush) to produce these mat caps very quickly. :rolleyes:

23. Pawscal

Pawscal

Hello! i'm unsing Strumpy to create a shader that would allow the usage of a webcamTexture as the input for a reflection map. Obviously, i need to bypass the cubemap system. I know i need to use some matrix to make sure the webcamTexture stays in the same orientation as the world (like a cube map reflection does) but i have not found yet how to do this, if anyone could give me a hand, i would greatly appreciate. Here is an example of what i want to achieve, made in TouchDesigner.

Tahnx a lot for your help :)

Attached Files:

24. davidsirmons

davidsirmons

Hmm. Strumpy is my first foray into the world of node based shader creation. It is unbelievably complex. I've been using 3ds max and photoshop together for over twenty years and not seen anything so vague and complex, and non-user friendly as node based shaders. All my experience prior counts for nothing with this approach. To make it more confounding, there are only a few tutorials I've seen on youtube. Ohwell...if anyone knows of a storage site that actually has examples of various shaders made in strumpy, please let me know. Maybe that will allow me to get my head around the abstract terms in the editor.

25. tswalk

tswalk

ya, I can relate.. shader development is ridiculously complex.. and even harder to optimize. there is not much information on using strumpy.. and I honestly have found zero resources for graphs, but he does provide some samples.

I recommend taking a look at ShaderForge, Ace has done a good job the asset for Unity and its' very similar.

(http://acegikmo.com/shaderforge/nodes/)

you may also want to see if you can find resources related to Epics shader node stuff. seems to be a more places you can find information and examples on similar node based systems:

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/DevelopmentKitGemsDynamicNormalMap.html

and lastly... at some point, you'll eventually find your self reading the crap out of these:

http://http.developer.nvidia.com/CgTutorial/cg_tutorial_chapter01.html

Xeong-Hu likes this.
  26. davidsirmons

davidsirmons

Or even better, I'll just hire a highly skilled shader artist.

27. Xeong-Hu

Xeong-Hu

Alright. What's up dudes. I just got 2 question for this Strumpy Shader program. s there like some sort of ducmentation with this Shader program? Like it tells us what certain things do what. Such as the Nodes, and what connects with what and the standard set up for giving the shader a color or a texture.

Andmy other question is. How do I make an outline with Strumpy Shader?

Much help would be appreciated.

28. Xeong-Hu

Xeong-Hu

oh wait nvm, I noticed you posted this, thanks dude.

That needs to go viral. Great Source

29. Tepei

Tepei

Hello !
    The grab sampler and the distortion example don't work for me.
    Anytime I use a grab sampler the shader become pure black.
    Anyone have an idea why ?
    Thanks for this incredible editor and any response !

30. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi,

New to this shader editor, I'm finding it quite nice to learn, but my knowledge on shader creation isn't currently up to scratch.

I would like to take the bundled RimLighting shader / graph and incorporate a reflection cube map into it, would love any pointers on the best way to achieve this.

Thanks.

31. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi,

Managed to figure out the cubemap reflection.

As a side note : -

I'd like to create a double sided shader for some foliage I have created, anybody care to point me in the right direction, ideally I'd like it to work with shadows also, so the leaves cast shadows as opposed to the whole geometry, for instance a plane with a foliage texture, I would only want my foliage casting shadows, not the plane itself.

Thanks

32. Deleted User

Deleted User

Ok, managed to figure out something for the foliage, based on a few examples I've researched online, still not convinced I'm doing this the best way though, and also shadows are not working as I wanted, so I'm still looking for help in that area ?

Another question though, I have my cubemap reflection set up, and also a range property so I can control how reflective that is, I would also like to control the cubemap reflection using a fresnel falloff, so the reflection appears towards the edges of my objects based on the viewing angle.

Would love 'any' help, stabbing in the dark here is yielding some results, but I'm not sure I'm going about any of this the right way.

Hope someone can help, thanks.

33. Deleted User

Deleted User

Ok, seems everybody has moved on from this package, I'm going to post one last message then, and hope someone would be kind enough to respond : -

I've figured out my other problems, but now I'm stumped on what seems like a really stupid error, I have a texture map and a cubemap, simple enough, but unity doesn't like it, posted a screenshot below to showcase what I mean : -

All I get within unity is a pink shader, and the following error message, what's going wrong here ?

Thanks.

34. tswalk

tswalk

I used worldnormal instead of worldreflection, and have no issue... not sure what the error means though.

35. Tepei

Tepei

I have this type of error sometimes.. I don't remenber clearly but i think it's a bug..
    It's not the structure of the shader that is wrong but the editor just write an error
    in the shader and the only way to fix it is to take another save or to make it again
    from zero.. I'm not sure it's the case but it could happen so save a lot of versions..

For the grab sampler i don't find any answer.. Maybe i need unity pro to use it..

36. siumanchun

siumanchun

37. Affy

Affy

Hi, I'm generating a terrain mesh (my custom terrain) procedurally and I'd like to add textures to it.

Does anyone know how to add multiple textures together, I was thinking of using 3 textures for the actual color data, and removing RGB values from texture1 based off of another texture's alpha channel.

Thanks in advance!

38. KeatonKafei

KeatonKafei

Hi everyone, I just got Strumpy and I'm pretty happy with it so far. I was looking for a way to increase the intensity of my normal map and found a setup for that here: http://cardboardkeep.com/dev-blog-amplifying-normal-maps/
    It works great in the editor (as expected), but in a build it just renders as black. I tried splitting the normal before running it through Pow, doesn't make a difference. Any ideas?

39. geroppo

geroppo

Hey guys im using unity 4.6 ( open beta) and it seems that strumpy doesn't work in this version, i dunno if it is a bug or unity changed something in the shader workflow. What happens is that when i export a shader, the consoles throws a few errores like this:

-'vert': output parameter 'o' not completely initialized (this one is an error )
    -implicit truncation of vector type ( this one a warning, and there are a few of them )

it doesn't matter how simple the shader is, all of them throw the same error, any ideas ? is the tool still being supported by tim ?

Edit: before 4.6 the tool was working like a charm

Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
  40. Forrest_Gimp

Forrest_Gimp

I ran into the same problem ith one of my old shaders made with strumpy. I fixed it by editing the shaders code. Open the shader in MonoDevelop like any other script, and look for the line:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. void vert (inout appdata_full v, out Input o) {
    2. // some initializing in here
    3. float4 VertexOutputMaster0_0_NoInput = float4(0,0,0,0);
    4. float4 VertexOutputMaster0_1_NoInput = float4(0,0,0,0);
    5. float4 VertexOutputMaster0_2_NoInput = float4(0,0,0,0);
    6. float4 VertexOutputMaster0_3_NoInput = float4(0,0,0,0);
    7.  }
    and change it to
    Code (CSharp):
    1. void vert (inout appdata_full v, out Input o) {
    2. UNITY_INITIALIZE_OUTPUT(Input,o);
    3. }
    This fixed the problem for me!

41. geroppo

geroppo

yea thanks, that seems to work but its very annoying to have to be fixing manually everytime you want to export to test something, i hope someone can fix the root of the problem D:

42. showoff

showoff

For me to make a shader which amplifys the normal map. Using the power node for the B channel doesn't work for me. I have to split the normal and I multiply RG channel by a vector/number and I just send all 3 channels to a assemble node then I link it bake to the normal input and that seems to work for me.
    I have both strumpy and forge and you cant beat free. Forge is awesome and it has a lot of features shrumpy doesn't but with a little time you can add those same features to it. I have already added a few of my own features to it just so I can give my version to my students.

43. geroppo

geroppo

Strumpy is now fixed in unity 4.6 build 20, it's strange since in NONE of the release notes of unity 4.6 say something about shaders that could break strumpy, but whatever, now works :D

EDIT: ok i now found the problem, strumpy was working fine, but it seems that if you have direct x 11 activated, whenever you import a shader it fails to compile it correctly ( it's not related to strumpy, since i had a working shader made with strumpy in one proyect, then ported it (the shader file, not the strumpy file) to another project with x11 activated and compiled with errors).
    So the solution is to export from strumpy the shaders having direct x11 disabled.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
  44. sama-van

sama-van

Hi,

I first imported the source from the GIT url and it was working fine.
    Today I found it was also on the Asset Store then I deleted the "StrumpyShaderEditor" root folder from my project to download & import it directly from there.

But now all my shaders in the preview window + game&viewport are pink.
    It seems to be the same for this person :

- http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/805055/strumpy-shader-not-working.html

I attached a screen with the error from the console when I try to export one of my shader (previously working).
    I am using Unity 4.6.x

Thank you!

Attached Files:

45. tswalk

tswalk

I'm fairly sure this is fixed by editing the shader template that SSE uses... found under:

Assets\Strumpy...\Editor\Resources\Internal\ShaderTemplate

edit that file and around line #60, add that method

Code (CSharp):
    1.             void vert (inout appdata_full v, out Input o) {
    2.                 UNITY_INITIALIZE_OUTPUT(Input,o)

sama-van likes this.
  46. sama-van

sama-van

Thanks a bunch!

It fixed the issue ^_^.
    I also confirm it works perfectly with Unity 4.6.1

tswalk likes this.
  47. zRedCode

zRedCode

Does thi works with unity 5 pre order beta?

48. EternalApps

EternalApps

"OpenSource" -- Can someone please direct me to the source files so I can make changes for Unity 5? Thank you.

// I still use Strumpy, just want to get rid of errors (DX11, Etc) and not so much "Update" it.

49. EliasMasche

EliasMasche

50. Erind

Erind

is there a way to implement it and add reflection probe support