Search Unity

Strumpy Shader Editor [Now Open Source]

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Tim-C, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Baardo

Baardo

Well tried the tutorial, and um...

I have a feeling this has something to do with my ramp texture though. After taking this screen shot I set the texture to clamp and it dimmed those shiny bright areas but other then that didn't help much. Is there a specific set up I need to have for the ramp texture or what?

2. Frank Oz

Frank Oz

Did you try loading the example one to see how that works with all the pieces? It works fine for me, (but it doesn't retain the effect if used on a surface that becomes lightmapped).

3. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

Can you post a screenshot of the graph and the ramp texture you are using?

The included ramp shader and tutorial ramp shader are very rudimentary (i.e I would not use them in a game, they are more to demonstrate how you would approach that feature). Actually that's true for most of the graphs. I mainly use them to test nodes / regression and to make sure things are working properly. I don't think I would use any of them as is in a game. They are more to show how to do things.

Reading these last few posts has given me some great ideas for video tutorials. It's hard for me to know where to draw the line between teaching the shader editor and graphics programming / pipeline. I think I need to actually start delving into the graphics pipeline a bit in the tutorial vids, but that starts to make it a bit harder and more involved to put together videos.

4. Baardo

Baardo

I got the same result when I added diffuse and bump maps to the example one. Mind showing me the ramp texture you used?

And here's the graph I used, I'm fairly sure I followed the tutorial closely. And the result I got wasn't nearly as weird. The Ramp texture is a .psd (which I'm having trouble uploading to anything) don't have photoshop on this computer so I'll try uploading it later.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2011
  5. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

I would not use the distortion as an example of transparency. Distortion is a really special case that is not actually transparent. You see things behind the object because of using a grab texture, not because the object is see through.

I think the first tutorial will be on transparency in shaders / SSE and how it works!

6. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

This is the one I used, feel free to grab it and use it as is:

Attached Files:

7. Frank Oz

Frank Oz

For the most part, the pixel graph side of things is fine, and generally easy enough (and fun, thank you for that btw) to experiment in and see what happens, except for more advanced effects which would be nice to get ideas from. The vertex and lighting ones though, don't seem so easy to test ideas in, less forgiving I suppose you could say.

8. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

It's an awesome idea, but parsing source to build a graph would take an immense amount of work. I'm not saying it's not possible (it is), but I would prefer to concentrate on the editor rather then niche features that would take many months to write and have odd bugs / corner cases.

9. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

I've had intermittent reports of this from some users (I have never seen it). If you (or anyone else) manages to find a repro case for this can you let me know what it is? I really want to fix it but if I can't repro it then I can't solve the issue.

10. Frank Oz

Frank Oz

Yeah but my thinking was along the lines of, by removing the distortion side of things, bam no transparency "oh where to look now" off into settings, change a few things, transparency ahoy. Learning by doing. Plus it's the closest to transparent as there is in the examples, and I can't break off right now to make one for him.

Edit: nvm, here's a really simple one, and a version with a basic reflection (cubemap). Rename after downloading.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 21, 2011
  11. Baardo

Baardo

Thanks for that, it fixed it. Not sure what was wrong with my other texture. Shouldn't any gradient work?

12. GameLvr

GameLvr

Missing MeshUV problem solved! - current versions of everything(Unity 3.3, SSE 4.0a) got SSE back up looking like it did before (whew!)

still getting errors like "implicit cast from float4 to half3" and "expression left of ."uv_Sampler2D" is not a struct or array" when I set up the graph like the one that worked in Unity 3.1

any help greatly appreciated!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
  13. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

Can I ask why you are not using the latest version GameLvr? Are you stuck on Unity 3.1?

14. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

Big news everybody! We are now on the Unity Asset Store!

http://u3d.as/content/strumpy-games/strumpy-shader-editor/1C4

I would really appreciate it if you took a few minutes to remove your current 4.0a and install the version from the asset store, and write a small review. It's still free, and I'll still be supporting it here in the thread. Just trying to get more users using the editor. One point to note, the version on the asset store uses the Asset Store license rather then the license we include with the downloadable package. You will need to figure out which is best for you!

15. Frank Oz

Frank Oz

Bah, should warn people they NEED to upgrade to v 3.3 to download your store version. That version is buggy as hell, I'm waiting for 3.4. First kink in the SSE armor *sniffles*.

16. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

Hrrm? Unity is buggy or SSE is buggy? it's the exact same library that is in the download here, just packaged for the store. You should not have to upgrade to unity 3.3 if 3.2 is working fine with the current version.

17. Frank Oz

Frank Oz

Must be an issue with the store, there's no link provided, just a message that 3.3 is required to download it.

Edit: And 3.3 is buggy, I've seen way too many problem threads about it to risk upgrading until 3.4. It doesn't offer anything in the fixes or additions for 3.3 that interest me either, I've no use for android development stuff either.

18. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

Ah cool. I'll keep providing versions with the 'default' license in this thread anyway.

19. Frank Oz

Frank Oz

It's the first time I've seen it actually. Which makes me wonder if it does that depending on the version used to package it, in which case a lot of folk uploading to the store are still on 3.2 (yay, I'm not imagining the bugs then! hahaha).

And no, SSE isn't buggy at all from what I can tell. :)

20. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

aw come on there has to be some stuff in there for me to fix ;)

21. Frank Oz

Frank Oz

Wellllllll....

:p

Nah seriously, now I'd be the first one to whine and moan, but I honestly haven't found anything I'd consider a bug. When something hasn't worked right, it's because I did something wrong. Really all I think it needs right now is updated docs, and the lighting and vertex graphs getting more love :D

Oh, and a way to use the end result of the specular effect as the alpha like the builtin ones can do, still not worked that bit out yet ;)

22. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I would love to colour code my nodes, just for fun :) SSE 4 rules

23. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Same issue here. I'm sticking to 3.2 until 3.4 is released. Unless you're developing for Android there really isn't any good reason to update to 3.3.

24. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hey did you remove the Update Button, on the free version? be cause I made changes, and now I need to click:

File>Save then, File>Open>Select the file, now its super slow this process :( do you thing that be able this again on the free version of unity, on next updates?

Cheers
    Deo.

25. Frank Oz

Frank Oz

Preview.

26. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

It still works the same... just create your shader, and click export as and give it a file name. Now whatever change you make to your graph, just hit export and it will automatically make changes :)

27. ddesmond

ddesmond

Hello all,
    I am in need of a human skin shader made using the strumpy shader and am willing to pay
    for the shader. If someone is interested, please send me a pm with an image of the shader as
    well as it being applied to a character, so I can see it applied. A screenshot of the
    node graph would be cool as well. Any help with this would be appreciated.
    Thanks

28. chadchat

chadchat

Great to see this on the Asset Store x

29. yinono

yinono

Hi,
    This look great,
    Still, I encountered a problem.
    When I try to add a Object2World node (for example this happen with few more nodes) to the vertex graph I get a red node with the error: node not valid in graph type: Vertex", but the tooltip about the node says this node is valid only in the vertex graph.

I'll appreciate any help on this
    Thanks

30. loken

loken

How are those video tuts coming along Stramit? Texels documentation is getting a bit dated. I'm a bit lost on the lighting graph stuff.

Not to rush though. I know you guys are busy. =)

31. Zomby138

Zomby138

Is it currentely possible to write to the alpha channel of an opaque shader? That channel is used for glow post-process effects. I tried putting inputs into the alpha field, but it always comes out white.

You can view the alphas in the scene view via a toggle at the top.

32. 2dfxman1

2dfxman1

I'd like to know too, also how do I make my emission to affect lightmaps?

33. chkkll

chkkll

Hey stramit..
    is it possible to make an outline in your shader editor?
    im totally lost about which node to use for that kinda result...

34. grfxman

grfxman

Wow I just decided to start using your editor and I find 67 pages of posts. Congratz on making such a great tool!

So my first question would be: Is there one central location where all the different shaders people have posted are stored?

35. 2dfxman1

2dfxman1

Nope, no one has posted any shaders. Well there are some but very little.

36. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I recently posted a shader on here... maybe we could all start a repository...

37. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Why not start a new page in the wiki (under projects?) and post them there? The wiki has been around about as long as Unity has and seems to be the best place to keep things together.

38. Frank Oz

Frank Oz

If we're gonna do that, we should work out a specific system for how things will look, a page template for SSE shaders and graphs, so they're all the same. Nothing looks worse than some half arsed page with some download that doesn't work. Should include a preview, perhaps done with the preview, and default textures, so people can see exactly how it looks.

Or something like that, I dunno. I'm kinda meh now about the whole thing. Too many tend to beg, then just take and don't bother to say thanks after you've made something for them, so you know, F*** em.

39. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

I think it would benefit SSE to have a repository of example graphs and even an ugly list is better than no list IMO.

40. 2dfxman1

2dfxman1

Totally agree. A repo of some sorts would be very nice

41. smiljan66

smiljan66

im paying 100 dollars to the person that can make me a really good skin shader :)

42. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Well, I hope Stramit doesn't mind but I took it upon myself to create a page on the wiki to serve as a repository for SSE sgraphs. I also added its first shader, the planet shader from the SSE tutorials that I've modified by removing the city lights. I've updated this shader so it works with the latest version of SSE and tested it with Unity 3.2 Pro under Windows 7. The wiki page and sgraph can be found here: http://www.unifycommunity.com/wiki/index.php?title=Strumpy_Shader_Editor

My hope is that others will also contribute to the wiki so we can all learn and benefit from this. Thanks again Stramit for your wonderful contribution!

43. niosop2

niosop2

Including a screenshot of the shader in action with every graph would be nice. Thanks for getting this started.

44. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

That is awesome... i am always updating my shader... :)

45. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Agreed. If I get a chance I'll do it or someone else is welcome to edit the post if they like. Anyone can edit the wiki, you just need to create an account. I'll leave this up for a few weeks or so and see if anyone else contributes. If no one else contributes, I'll probably remove the page. A repository with only one shader seems pointless.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2011
  46. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I just created an account for this repository...could I be as detailed as I like?

47. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

There's a page that gives guidelines for what should be posted. I just looked at the source for a couple other pages and mimicked what they did. Personally, I think a small picture, short description and a link to the sgraph (zipped up) is probably good enough. If you want to include a lengthy explanation, maybe include a .txt file in the zip.

48. smiljan66

smiljan66

Waiting for that video tutorials :)

49. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

That sounds fair :)...i still need to set up a model as an example :)

50. Aron

Aron

Hi,

First off, awesome editor! I just replicated this graph, and have everything working in windows, both preview and editor. When I open up this shader network on my mac, the preview image of the shader still looks correct, but in the editor window it seems the alpha blending is culling everything behind the object, resulting in no real transparency change really.

0% alpha
    $Screen shot 2011-03-26 at 7.15.05 PM.png

about 50% alpha
    $Screen shot 2011-03-26 at 7.14.04 PM.png

100% alpha
    $Screen shot 2011-03-26 at 7.14.26 PM.png

I tried also just using a color value to control alpha but no luck. Again this only happens on Mac. Using forward rendering, at fantastic quality settings. Am I missing something?

*EDIT* I'm referencing this glass shader base posted on http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/561...vements/page49 6 posts down

Last edited: Mar 27, 2011