Search Unity

Stranded v0.1 Alpha - Deserted on an ocean island...

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by melidian, Jul 3, 2014.

1. melidian

melidian

Story
    You were just on a casual boat ride with your buddies. Everyone was drinking alcohol and having a great time.
    When suddenly... A huge wave comes out of nowhere knocking your ship over. When you wake up you're on a deserted island with limited supplies and your friends nowhere in site. It is up to you to survive.

Videos
    v0.01

v0.02

v0.03

Latest Patch Notes

Stranded v0.01 Updates
    - Tents can now be slept in to make it daytime.
    - Wells can now be crafted and used to make water
    - Stamina bar that depletes when sprinting.
    - Rocks/Coal/Stone/Trees all respawn after being destroyed or taken.
    - Big stone can be chopped into little stone then picked up for crafting.
    - New 1,000 x 1,000 size map (Old one was 500 x 500)
    - Apples can now be picked up and will auto feed when your food goes below 90
    - Water can now be picked up and will auto drink when your thirst goes below 90
    - Main Menu added (WIP)
    - Credits Menu added (WIP)

Want to help?
    This project I started all alone but feel free to message me if you would like to help develop this game with me. I'm not creating this game to sell it will be free once I'm done developing it because I doubt anyone would buy this game anyway. I'm creating this game for a learning experience to learn about Java, 3D modeling, and all that other good stuff. So as I said before feel free to message me about joining if you're a noob at unity or not it doesn't matter to me I just want a learning experience and if you want one too I don't mind. :)

Coming In the Next Update
    - To be announced

Downloads
    Stranded v0.01 Pre-Alpha (7/3/14): http://goo.gl/uC3B4R / http://adf.ly/q2flt
    Stranded v0.02 Pre-Alpha (7/5/14): http://goo.gl/8aM7no / http://adf.ly/q5k4m
    Stranded v0.03 Pre-Alpha (7/12/14): http://goo.gl/wm4fPE / http://adf.ly/qG3uj

Stranded v0.1 Alpha (10/18/14): http://goo.gl/nrQIJu / http://adf.ly/t0C30 - Latest Version!

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
  2. Krisowsky

Krisowsky

django/django

3. melidian

melidian

Umm I don't know what you mean...

4. DocLogic

DocLogic

Hey nice work man, that's a solid start. A good foundation to build on.

I like the look of the sunset, how the sky is still illuminated once it gets dark.

Also....whats with the blinking! I love it, but i cant figure out why. Where did you get that idea? Its a cool effect, but it'd be cool if it was tied into the game design somehow. Like, something happens when you blink.

I see a bit of clipping when the camera looks down, like its going through the characters body.

5. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

The textures seem so low res, looks like a PS2 game.

6. melidian

melidian

Thanks for your input on the game so far but your right I got a lot of work to do such as the blinking going through the characters body when looking up or down. :)

7. melidian

melidian

Haha it's not like PS2 games were boring!

8. Krisowsky

Krisowsky

django/django = 10/10 :D

9. melidian

melidian

Googled django/django... idk what I'm looking at...

10. jameos

jameos

this title stranded is already taken

11. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

u r

R-Lindsay and Deleted User like this.
  12. melidian

melidian

Stranded v0.02 Pre-Alpha Video/Download released!

13. Emilosish

Emilosish

There is aleready a game named Stranded; it even is a series that was started a long time ago. They are even working on Stranded III.

14. melidian

melidian

Alright since people keep posting about this.. Stranded will just be my WIP title I will change it eventually over time as I think of new names.

15. melidian

melidian

v0.03 Coming out soon!

16. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

Nice textures.

17. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

The blinking -- I get it, but you know the player who's playing the is already blinking in real life, so it's a bit redundant?

18. melidian

melidian

Meh I like it :)

19. melidian

melidian

I'm assuming this is sarcasm. I know they aren't great textures but people need to realize I get a lot of them from Google Images because I can't make them myself because I don't know how. If you aren't gonna say something nice or if it's mean at least have it be something I can build off of to create a better game.

20. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

Way to take that criticism.

Cgtextures.com

21. Jaqal

Jaqal

Looks like a good start. If you need any help interacting with the tree system let me know. Took me a long time to nail down a decent way to chop down trees while still performing well.

22. melidian

melidian

Alright thanks for the offer man! :D

23. melidian

melidian

Since people were saying the title "Stranded" is already taken by another game does anyone know if Deserted is taken?

24. qmqz

qmqz

It's probably really likely that it is, lol.

You're gonna need to choose something highly uncommon like "Boat on Beach Game".

Anyways, textures are horrendous, but I totally feel you on that one. I started off in Unity using the worst textures on the planet lol.

You should also change the values here:
    http://i.imgur.com/Vamf3SC.png

Depending on the texture size, I personally decrease the values and it begins to look noticeably better.
    2048x2048 @ 8
    1024x1024 @ 6
    512x512 @ 4
    256x256 @ 2

Overall, I'm liking the idea behind it. I wish you the best of luck ^_^
    (Adding to watched threads list)

25. melidian

melidian

Thanks for all the advice! Also thanks for watching my thread makes me happy to know somebody likes what I have so far as much to at least see further updates! :)

26. primus88

primus88

Survival simulators are like flappy bird clones: everyone is doing one now, so you are in for some serious competition.
    The game looks very bad but the mechanics behind it should be fun.. after a lot of work of course.

The thing with AdFly for downloading the game? A dick move... We are doing you enough of a service by testing the game, no need to also try and make money of us. You realize that you get 100 views at most, and you need 10.000 views to buy yourself a cup of coffee with AdFly?

Myhijim likes this.
  27. melidian

melidian

o_O it's a 5 second timer didn't realize people didn't have 5 seconds to wait.
    Also I know there are MUCH better survival games out there I'm just doing this to learn javascripting, modeling, and unity.

28. primus88

primus88

As always in life... it's the idea that counts. Not to add that at the end of the day it's a very inefficient one as well.

29. melidian

melidian

v0.1 Should be out soon, hopefully this weekend!

30. melidian

melidian

Stranded v0.1 Alpha download released!
    - Tents can now be slept in to make it daytime.
    - Wells can now be crafted and used to make water
    - Stamina bar that depletes when sprinting.
    - Rocks/Coal/Stone/Trees all respawn after being destroyed or taken.
    - Big stone can be chopped into little stone then picked up for crafting.
    - New 1,000 x 1,000 size map (Old one was 500 x 500)
    - Apples can now be picked up and will auto feed when your food goes below 90
    - Water can now be picked up and will auto drink when your thirst goes below 90
    - Main Menu added (WIP)
    - Credits Menu added (WIP)

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
  31. Myhijim

Myhijim

Mate if you want ANYONE to try it at all, get rid of the adfly links.

You may think that "Oh it's only 5 seconds" , but seriously, you are attempting to earn money off us for even trying your game, when we are doing you a favor by checking it out and giving criticism and comment, as Primus88 said, is not cool.

If you were truly doing this just to learn, get rid of the ad links, doing stuff like that is only frowned upon, and won't get you very far with many members of this community.

Jaqal likes this.
  32. melidian

melidian

I gave them the option of both this should fix things up right?

33. inko

inko

An early super-rudimentary indie survival game? Challenge accepted: Let's roleplay this biatch!

DAY 1:

After waking up on a beach in front of a crashed pirate ship with nothing but a fire axe in my hand and blood all over my shoos I started to wonder what exactly I've been doing last night. The fact that someone also painted my fingernails with pink nail polish didn't make me feel all that optimistic.

My knees were still shaky so I wobbled across the beach for a while feeling like I was on ice until I noticed a couple of apples rolling across the beach towards the water.

Me, seeing this as an opportunity for a free breakfast, tried to pick it up but then noticed that the E key... I mean... my hands didn't seem to work. So I had no choice but to watch them sink to their salty doom.

Also my eyes seemed to glaze over every now and them making me worried I might have a concussion.

After overcoming my little existential crisis I slid up the beach towards some trees to try out my new fire axe. Never having cut down a tree before I wasn't really sure what to expect but I was nevertheless surprised that the tree immediately vanished when touching my blade. I decided that this kind of behaviour is not appropriate for any kind of vegetation, no matter where I was so I quickly continued on, searching for other signs of life on the island.

Unfortunately it turns out the island is nothing but a rock in the middle of the ocean.

I'll try to rest now and continue on in the morning. As I dace away I ponder over 2 questions. Why is the sun not going down. And who painted my fingernails pink?

melidian, Jaqal and Myhijim like this.
  34. melidian

melidian

*Slow Clap* Well done sir... well done..