Search Unity

Stranded Deep

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Ben-Massey, Jan 11, 2013.

1. NightPatrol

NightPatrol

Incredible! In this case, I'll be keeping my eyes open for the tech demo!

2. janpec

janpec

Jesus crist. The water shader is spectacular. Please release shader for Asset store and help funding your game development, i am sure that this shader aloane would generate tons of profits for you on Asset store.
    Also very nice looking skybox. Looking forward to more underwater scenes.

3. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

Holy cow! How did you achieve such visuals? I don't know how it looks in motions, but as a static image, this is the best water I've ever seen in a game!

4. John-G

John-G

Shader would sell very well on Asset Store . Would definitely but it.

5. Sun-Dog

Sun-Dog

I'm going to +1 the "Shader on the Asset Store" meme.

I would snap that up the moment I saw it.

Price it accordingly, as well, as it's good work.

6. Ben-Massey

Ben-Massey

Been quite some time since our last post, here are some more recent screenshots :)

Sam's been working on integrating the water with our day/night weather system. Everything is looking super!

Here is my work in progress life raft variant 1. I've incorporated realtime cloth physics for the movement, gives the texture alot more feel. I also plan to add some type of deformation to the ring itself, Feedback is always welcome!

And, i have also focused alot of time on both interior and exterior of the privet jet. I really didn't want to posts this just yet but would love to get some feedback especially on the lighting and colour scheme.
    Here are the development stages.

And here is the final version.

Oh and i almost forget, here is a quick update on the underwater environment. This was a real challenge for me, blending dark foliage against bright sand is not an easy task but i think it turned out pretty well. Note that this screenshot is absent from caustics, depth contrast and various other effects like sunrays.

We're currently amongst the top 30 games on greenlight! The feedback has been awesome but its not over yet so help us out and share the info. We'l be bringing out a new video shortly, still waiting for our new rigs to be shipped.

Thanks guys, stay tuned.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2013
  7. nipoco

nipoco

Looks really atmospheric and professional.

8. John-G

John-G

Amazing stuff, looking fantastic. Only thing I would add to the jet interior is some strip lighting on the gangway.
    The water is simply the best I've seen, and video updates of it in motion showing calm to rough waters?

9. Deleted User

Deleted User

This looks fantastic, +1

10. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games

This is... AMAZING!

11. rAllenG

rAllenG

Im lovin it. Nice!

12. virror

virror

Just AWESOME!
    Always looking forward to an update on this project.

13. Liggles

Liggles

Haha i immediately thought of this film when watching the Alpha footage! You need to add wilson as an easter egg in the game! Would be fantastic ;)

14. Ben-Massey

Ben-Massey

I did try this but thought it was overkill, i'l play around with it some more. Thanks :)

We've got ALOT of easter egg ideas, just need to see how we can use them without crossing any boundaries :p
    Thanks,

15. dtg108

dtg108

OHMYGOD you've come so far from the beginning. You could always add a FedEx package as an easter egg.

16. Ethaninja

Ethaninja

This is looking better and better! I am very VERY jealous and VERY envious and oh so keen!!!

17. Hydrocodone

Hydrocodone

I've been waiting for a game like this for years. Great job and thank you for developing it. I haven't read much of the thread yet, but please add content outside of the lifeboat! Oh and a story to go along with it too, that'd be great. Again, looks great, keep it up!

Last edited: Jun 9, 2013
  18. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

Looking forward to seeing an updated video of this project... the pics look great.

19. laurent-clave

laurent-clave

Fantastic !

What ocean plugin do you use?

20. Ethaninja

Ethaninja

Hey just a quick question for those wishing to attempt this, where exactly did you start with this project? Did you program all this in? Or did you use a particle program? Did you model it in? I have NO idea how to start to be honest xD

21. spraycanmansam

spraycanmansam

No plugins, all in house, including shaders and mesh animation, etc :)

@Ethaninja, Ben and myself have both written all of what you see.
    In terms of where to start, personally a lot of the time I'll spend a good couple of hours researching different approaches to what I'm trying to tackle, read a few papers on the concepts if it's particularly complex, maybe download a few sources and pull them to pieces to see how they've interpreted what I'm trying to do.. or if I have a good conceptual idea I'll write it down straight away (because it's normally when I'm doing something else :p) and then try and implement it when I get home.

I also got into the habit early-on with programming of doing even the boring tutorials, writing them all out, no copy-paste, to really burn it into my brain.
    It's like any skill really, learn from others and add you're own flair :)

Dunno if that helps you at all, but it's how I get along :) :p

Updates soon.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2013
  22. ClassicChloe

ClassicChloe

Extremely exciting project, I'm very impressed by the visuals.

23. voltage

voltage

Wow, 7 pages! I wanted to read up on what everyone was saying, but that's just too much. Excuse me if someone else already wrote this, but I have a few ideas.

IMO, (keep in mind it's just mine), Deserted to an island is far too easy and cliched. I would however, love to see an abandoned cruise liner! Maybe something odd is happening in this part of the ocean. Take this opportunity to make it a mystery thriller!

And might I say, can we see Megalodon?

24. janpec

janpec

Since it is project set in realism genre as far as i can tell probably you wont see it:D

25. Ben-Massey

Ben-Massey

Who knows ;)
    --
    Good news we're amongst the top 20 games on greenlight! We'll both be posted updates shortly as Sam said, depends when our new rigs get here so we can make silky smooth footage :)

Last edited: Jun 23, 2013
  26. Ethaninja

Ethaninja

Aye that helps immensely. You inspire me good sir! No homo... xD

27. Ben-Massey

Ben-Massey

Hey guys, still here and working harder than ever.
    Over the past few weeks i'v been doing a ton of research on anything and everything related to terrain. I was really inspired by a recent Unity presentation for "Sir, you are being hunted" on procedural generation. Some of the benefits they were throwing across the table were really interest and got me thinking, a lot! I'v dipped my fingers in procedural stuff before but never had the motivation or purpose to fully incorporate it in a project, until now.

For Stranded Deep, i'v setup a simple grid for x amount of terrain tiles that are constantly shifting to the players position. When re positioning a set of tiles they're assigned a specific biome which will then attribute to all the generation factors. Every new tile is then assigned a new position, height and noise values with additional biome factors, stitched seamlessly, neighboured, textured, foliaged, and finally culled. All on the fly during runtime, carefully recycling all data and saving previously visited cells, essentially created an endless ocean. Optimisation is the key to success and should always be first priority.

In some respect, we're quite lucky with the choice of environment and can avoid alot of LOD stress without having to render distant macro objects, allowing for lush underwater environments with all the ugly loading hidden behind Sam's gorgeous volumetric fog :)

I completely understand that most ocean depths average around 4km, but this adds a huge barrier to gameplay. By incorporating biomes we can have a large variety of interesting and unique environments ranging from bottomless pits to shallow reefs. I'm not going to show off to much at this stage as everything is very much a work in progress but here is an in game screenshot showing off a biome i was currently in.

I have to add that the documentation for unity's terrain engine is extremely scarce and was a total nightmare figuring out. Would love to have some more information up there for future reference.

Thanks guys, stay tuned!

~Ben

Last edited: Jul 19, 2013
  28. pixellegolas

pixellegolas

*inserts drool*

29. Ethaninja

Ethaninja

With the terrain generation, when it deletes afterwards, does it keep it in memory somewhere? Or will in generate a completely different chunk?

30. virror

virror

To just say it looks amazing would be an insult, its way above amazing : D
    Do you save all terrain tiles or do you just move and reuse them and regenerate the heightmap?

31. janpec

janpec

Will you also use refracted screen space so that when underwater view gets distorted by water circulation ("waves")?

32. MattCross

MattCross

I have been looking on the unity forums of a bit know and have finally made a account and as my first post i would like to say how good i think this game is. It looks great both form a graphics and concept view point. nice work and good luck with steam Greenlight.

33. Ben-Massey

Ben-Massey

If the cell hasn't been visited it will generate a completely new tile. The tiles are never deleted, created terrain runtime is far to expensive for that.

Move and reuse essentially, :)

It sure does, will bring out a tech video shortly.

That's awesome, welcome to the forums :)

34. Jacobbradford

Jacobbradford

Sorry if this has already been ask but is there going to be co-op

35. Ben-Massey

Ben-Massey

Hey everyone, great news! We've just been Greenlit on Steam! Massive thank you to all the voters here on the Unity forums, we truly appreciate it.

36. welby

welby

$lolcat73.jpg

Congratz guys!

37. nipoco

nipoco

Congratulations!

I bet that feels awesome :D

38. squared55

squared55

Congratulations!

39. xandeck

xandeck

We at Odin are watching real close. Congrats man, I hope you finish this nice game ;)

40. Jacobbradford

Jacobbradford

Yay I hope beta comes soon

41. cCoding

cCoding

Any development news? I'm extremely interesting in this game. I would love to help test this.

42. Ben-Massey

Ben-Massey

Sorry we've been so quite lately, seems like less of an effort to make an appearance at these stages of development. We've both been working on alot of environment aspects and getting the actual game 'world' setup nicely.

I'l post some shots on the latest terrain generation so you can get somewhat of an idea on how i've got the biome generation setup. Everything works pretty seamlessly, the transitions above/below environments are really nice and i think its safe to say not many games do a great job at achieving this. I know we've mentioned this before, but we're pretty close to bringing out a video now ;)

I'd like to write up a little documentation on how i went about it, see how things go. Heres some in game shots i just took from the same generated world. Also note a few elements are absent in the shots,

(right click large)

Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
  43. spraycanmansam

spraycanmansam

Heck might as well put this up too, I think it looks cool :)
    Not much else to add to Ben's comments at this stage really.. like he mentioned, if we've been quiet it's because we're working our asses off! :p

---
    $Wallpaper1920x1080.jpg

44. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

Look really nice, do you plan to alloew player to pick up stuff and build a larger ship?

45. cCoding

cCoding

Thanks for taking the time to post an update. This looks insanely good. Any chance for larger under water objects like tanker ships and oil rigs?

46. Rockyroad122

Rockyroad122

This looks like an awesome game cant wait to play it

47. Fishypants

Fishypants

This is looking really awesome! Great job!

48. landon912

landon912

Impressive showing guys, you are obviously skilled and motivated workers. Congradulations on the green light!

49. Ben-Massey

Ben-Massey

Hey guys, thanks for the awesome support and don't worry we're still here...

Here's another screenshot/Wallpaper to keep you interested :)

50. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

I'm always curious about the underwater atmosphere that you guys did, are those global fog or you guys using custom fog? i like how the light scattering looks