Search Unity

Stranded Deep

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Ben-Massey, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Ben-Massey

Ben-Massey

Take the role of a plane crash survivor stranded somewhere in the Pacific Ocean. Experience terrifying encounters both above and below an endless environment. Come face to face with some of the most life threatening scenarios that will result in a different experience each time you play. Scavenge, discover, survive.

"Every decision you make will have an unforgettable consequence."

Engross yourself in an infinite procedurally generated world above and below that is never the same twice. Discoverer unique biomes ranging from lush colourful reefs to deep and dark trenches filled with hundreds of fully interactive marine wildlife. Take on swirling stormy waves or kick back and enjoy a calm sunset, all from a fully dynamic day/night weather system. Do you have the guts to take on Mother Nature and put your survival instincts to the test?*

Stranded Deep achieves to create a whole new simulation genre by taking you on an adventure that will keep you wanting more. Supernatural horrors are a thing of the past, experience what a true horror is like.

KEY FEATURES
    • Infinite procedurally generated world with detailed biomes
    • Custom built water with realtime buoyancy, subsurface scattering, edge-based depth, and foam
    • Dynamic weather and day/night system effecting environment
    • Detailed survival aspects and interaction
    • Unique item crafting and combination
    • Endless underwater environments above and below with deep sea exploration
    • In game achievements, unlockables, statistics and rewards
    • Multi-platform support (Mac,Linux,Windows)
    • Controller support
    • Oculus Rift support
    • More to come.

Stranded Deep is a survival role playing horror created inside of the Unity engine by BEAM Team Games.
    You can follow our development on our site and hear the latest updates from our social medias. If you have any question contact us directly.

Contact Us

*Please remember this thread is in the work in progress section for a reason*

Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
  2. dtg108

dtg108

He did it, he did it! He created the thread! But seriously, it's amazing, especially doing it in a day. Are you going to end up doing like an island survival thing or will the whole game be based on the boat? Will there be a story?

3. Ben-Massey

Ben-Massey

To be honest i have no idea. I'm thinking some type of random events along your adventures (weather, debris, more survivors? :p)
    We'l just have to wait and see.

4. SteveJ

SteveJ

This looks really fantastic, but you have to assume that you've got to take it off that boat and onto an island or something. I agree though that there's something there... you just have to figure out where to go with the idea :)

EDIT: Actually, onto a ghost ship would be nice. A big cruise liner.

5. TheRealFuzz

TheRealFuzz

This looks awesome! I can't wait to see how it turns out.

6. Cheburek

Cheburek

Here's some idea, have the shark drag you underwater when it bites you! Oh and water droplets on camera!

As for survival you can have a goal to reach shore, and you can paddle but that uses up food which you pick up in water. Also you can find fragments of map that will help you reveal where island is. Maybe add some survival score and have it getting harder (more sharks, weather conditions, etc) as time goes.

7. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games

Awesome, I'll be watching this!

8. Swearsoft

Swearsoft

You find random debris along the way that allows you to continue. Getting into the water should also be possible. Think of the adrenaline rush when you are forced to leave the boat. A shipwreck could be useful. finding a piece of wood that works as a paddle for example can be difficult because the current is pushing it away from the boat and requires you to swim and get back.

to enter the shipwreck you have to dive, so you also have air. I think an abandoned oil rig would be possible too and a possible stop before you get to an island.

9. Ben-Massey

Ben-Massey

The shark attack event definitely needs improving, ive got a few ideas.

Make sure you check out the video before commenting :)
    Id like to keep this game as realistic as a game possibly can be. On that note, crafting would be quite cool, but a pain in the a#% to get working nicely, nothing detailed like minecraft, more of a combination of items.

Oil rig sounds interesting, but as far as i know they're always located near shores so that would defeat the structure of the game (being stranded).

I might take a few notes out of the cast away film :p

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  10. marcos

marcos

Dude, this is so sick, definitely going to be watching this!

11. n0mad

n0mad

Nice concept :)

You could turn this into one the first "3D casual games" :
    Where you'd have to jump from lifeboat to lifeboat, and if you miss, there's a shark waiting for you ....
    You could pump up the gameplay by adding obstacles, different jump distances, lifeboats being pierced (therefore slowly drowning), different sea currents, pumps to reinflate pierced lifeboats, etc ...

But the ambiance is really good like it is : alone in a wide, wide sea, with absolutely no life in the horizon.

p.s : prepare to be the new "Slender trend" :p you should release it fast imho

12. Ben-Massey

Ben-Massey

Few thoughts:
    I've considered a day/night cycle but after much tinkering it seems very... ugly and can ruin the ambience which is shown in the video. Would players mind no day/night cycle?

Wandering if i should take the player to new destination, islands, wreckages, etc but i think it may be very disjointed. I wanted it to be simple, and thrilling.

I had plans to have a rescue helicopter team eventually find you after a random set of days between 7 and 10 (included day/night cycle). In order to survive those days you have to acquire foods, to get consumables you have to... get dirty with the sharks. This is a much more simple approach, possibly include this as a separate gametype?

I've also wandered if i wanted to keep the game 'endless' i have a habbit of making games that are wave based and never ending. Im not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing, i guess some players like to finish what they started, other dont want it to stop..hmmmm.

13. FlorianSchmoldt

FlorianSchmoldt

Tigers ! Trust me. They are as cool as snakes on a plane :D

but srsly. You should keep it really simple. Dont be afraid to see it more like an experience instead of forcing traditional gameplay mechanics. Let him die after a couple of days. Make it surreal without telling the player, that he has died. Add sick S*** :D

14. Greg-Sergeant

Greg-Sergeant

WOAH! The start of the video seriously shook me, i got hit by an overwhelming sense of dread and isolation.. which ended when the shark actually attacked. I recommend you read frictional games blog if you haven't already, it explains a lot of gameplay decisions in Amnesia. I cannot believe you did this in 1 day, it's incredible. I think you're onto something really powerful here and it would be really stupid to not fully throw yourself into this project (just my personal opinion), here are my thoughts:

You are stranded on a massive boat (cruise liner?) which has been devastated by some catastrophe whilst out at sea. You explore the boat (mostly linear) and piece together what has happened as you absorb the atmosphere and solve puzzles to progress (think any disaster boat movie where parts are flooded, blocked, fire's, electrical hazards, you need to find fuses..etc, you can get really creative here tho), this is punctuated by sections of immense fear where you force the players into the water.. Whilst exploring the boat you make the players feel uneasy by hinting at what caused the ship to break down in the first place, why rescue isn't coming and why they should be afraid of that, perhaps there is something else on-board the ship that has risen from the deep..

I think "amnesia on a boat" is unique enough for a really incredible experience, but there is so much you can do with the setting that could really make this game stand out.

15. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

As greg said, stick close to amnesia, You could seriously make a lot of money from this if you do it right :)

And no it wont be the next slender game, you know why? because the slender fan boys probably don't own unity pro to make that pretty water! haha

Thats another thing, I think this is one of the first projects ive seen which really high lights the fantastic work you can produce with unity pro. The water and the atmosphere is just incredible and I really think unity should step in here and just give you a pat on the back, maybe back you on the project to get something nice made to showcase unity. might sound over exaggerated but I really believe it has that potential.

Good work mate, really good work.
    -C

16. Greg-Sergeant

Greg-Sergeant

F*** that, think about making an incredible experience that will captivate people, think about watching them play the game and the emotions you'll inspire in them and think about how it will feel on a personal level to bring your imagination to life for others to experience!

(i know i'm being an idealist here but money and art shouldn't collide.. they do, and we all think about the $, but i wish they didn't)

17. Music-Vortex

Music-Vortex

Great project! I also think this has a lot of potential.
    I would recommend changing the music you're using when the shark attacks, it's not really fitting the scene, something much more tense will improve the overall player's experience :)

Keep it up!

18. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

Money and art don't collide until your dead. Smart design on the other hand.

19. Ben-Massey

Ben-Massey

Exactly! But I'm sure there will be a few attempts. There's going to be a lot of sleepless nights ahead. It's a race against time now really, hopefully nobody takes the idea into their own hands. I do like a bit of competition though.

I have a few issues with keeping the hunger system as realistic as possible, turns out their arnt many food resources in the sea..who knew :p
    I've got a few ideas though, the game should be at a standard level within a weeks time.

20. virror

virror

So what if there is a lack of food resources? Let the player starve a bit, try to capture the weakness and desperation, that would fit better i think than the constant food hunt (which can still co-exists of course).

Also don't make him stranded on an island or stuff like that, would totally ruin the feel of the game.

21. Bananatron

Bananatron

It should start off seemingly simple; it's sunny and the player is in the lifeboat. The music should be somewhat calm (maybe a few ocean sounds?). This is the beginning point where the player can have a look around and gather the materials. However, the players hunger eventually is depleted, and the player falls asleep. The player wakes up, and the music is slightly more intense (perhaps a different take on the method of using bass, like Slender for example). The sky darkens as the heavy breathing comes in and the music becomes sharper and louder as the player sees the shark. What they want to do now is all up to the player. If the player survives or kills the shark, they could continue the game, encountering whirlpools, tsunamis, hurricanes, large rocks, but also some wonders too, such as whales or even an aurora borealis at the end (that is, if the game does end). That's my idea for the game.

This reminds me of Life of Pi.

22. Swearsoft

Swearsoft

lol, I seriously stopped the video just before you fell in the water. I guessed since
    you said it was an experiment that you didn't go any further.

23. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

24. Ben-Massey

Ben-Massey

Water 4 with fake boyancy.

25. Swearsoft

Swearsoft

26. Ben-Massey

Ben-Massey

But that might get boring FAST. I have to keep the player entertained somehow... dynamic weather will be a pain. I dont think il stray from the original concept of being stuck on this damn raft.

On another note: more props

27. Blacklight

Blacklight

If you can make the waves larger, you can make the player try and balance the raft, or have him throw flares at sharks who take a shot at the raft to scare them off. Food cans can be opened and thrown to distract them.

28. TehWut

TehWut

ahh, man! I was going to make a game exactly like this. Anyways, good luck on your project, glad to see someone is executing the project way better than I could!

29. Blasfemmy

Blasfemmy

If you were to implement a day/night cycle, then I have a good idea. Your character could have nightmare-flashbacks to the "accident" that left him stranded when you fall asleep. The flashbacks could have a tone paralleling to starvation, dehydration, etc. For example, the first night have it be slightly hopeful and uplifting tone until the accident ensues, where your character wakes up. The second night could be you trying to escape, then being knocked out by a falling object. Then during the course of the third day, have brief flashes to the event of waking up on the sinking ship with impending death, and finding your way to the life raft.

30. Ben-Massey

Ben-Massey

I had a similar thought, i was going to use flashbacks of real camera footage. The trouble is with day night cycle, as i said before it ruins the current feel of the game, its all misty, dark and quite depressing, certain things start to become disjointed from the game when you change the time.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  31. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

If you are going to have a day and night cycle, you are going to want the day to be very refreshing and feel like... 'Ahh, its open, its calm, I'm going to be okay'

Otherwise its pointless.

32. n0mad

n0mad

I don't want to interfere with your creativity needs Ben4view, but if I may suggest :

If you want to go fast, you'd definitively better focus on main gameplay/gamedesign elements first, the broader ones.
    Not on details and / or assets. Don't get lost in sideways.
    Get some simple gameplay working, something that you like to play and play again (for hours, days.. anticipate the growing boredom), even if it has to be with low quality assets.
    Then, when you're satisfied with an overall, finished gameplay package, you can start refining assets.
    And don't forget : don't talk too much about your ideas (yet). Yes, all written above might mean less visibility/fame on these forums for a while. But it's for the good.

My 4c (for not having another Slender syndrome).

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  33. Ricks

Ricks

Amazing execution of a simple, yet efficient idea. The atmosphere, colors etc. fit very well together in this video. Impressive :)

34. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games

This. Without calm parts of the game the extreme parts will not feel quite so, well, extreme. With a lot of electric guitar music (just as an example) when you see then shred live they'll start out fast, then slow down for a little bit, then continue doing a crazy fast solo (so the solo seems even faster).

Contrast is good, REAL good... :)

35. carmine

carmine

This is a really great idea! It's really different. Everyone talks about making "horror" games... and they put in zombie's to scare you... BUT.. I think realistically more people are afraid of sharks than zombies... and it's the not being able to see the entire shark that makes them more scary.

Couple of random ideas
    - Someone mentioned droplets on the camera/screen. I think this is a great idea. If your vision is blurred it'll make it harder to escape things.
    - Maybe you have other survivors... the more survivors you pick up, the more food you need.
    - Maybe have very small islands you can get off on and get stuff.
    - Maybe you start with a raft, but find an island with a small wood boat (let's you hold 2 people) then you find a better boat, etc.

You could also keep the controls simple and make this for iPad. Don't underestimate this idea!

36. Khyrid

Khyrid

And then maybe you look behind you and it's slender shark.

37. Ben-Massey

Ben-Massey

Id rather not include islands, or any navigation equipment, or even iconic locations such as oil rigs or abandoned ships. Id rather keep a very random gameplay so that every time you play, something new will happen, at a different time.

38. jeko_composer

jeko_composer

very nice graphics!!

39. freakdave

freakdave

That looks great!

Keep us posted please :)

40. jimmyismike

jimmyismike

I think you're right with sticking with the raft but it really shouldn't be just the raft. Maybe some floating pieces of wood or maybe some shipwreck or maybe even a very small island.

41. runner

runner

awesome man :)

location location is everything, which ocean are we in, is the north star visible the big dipper?, Are we in the shipping lane's (presume so), You said, maybe no day / night cycle which kind of blows for survival or rescue.

42. tapanui

tapanui

43. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games

I've been thinking more about the day/night cycle thing. Have you every played Journey for ps3? I played it for the first time about 2 weeks ago. Anyhow, when you start playing it's so beautiful and relaxing, bet then it kinda throws you through the ringer a little bit. And because it starts out so calm it shakes you more when it goes kinda crazy.

It be kinda the opposite in your game though (from crazy to calm, then back to crazy)... :)

44. Ben-Massey

Ben-Massey

I like the ideas, unfortunately i haven't had much time to work on this project (only minor programming) i'm trying to get Livalink as polished as possible for release then i might have a bit of cash to spend on this. I should be working on this very soon.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  45. Dayviewer

Dayviewer

Looks great man, very unique concept, nicely executed too, excited to see more for this!

46. polygunz.com

polygunz.com

47. jimmyismike

jimmyismike

Ok another quick idea I got, after the shark bites you and you manage to escape, you will slowly bleed out unless you find a med kit.

48. Ben-Massey

Ben-Massey

49. impheris

impheris

after the shark has bitten once... should hit the bote
    sorry for my poor english i need to practice again

50. janpec

janpec

Interesting, i have had similar idea to make project inspired by "Cast away" movie, but i never could have figured out how to make gameplay interesting and make it fun to player for longer time. The only thing that could make it worth while is maybe add some tribes that could attack player, and he needs to build shelter or defenses, weapons and give player full creativity in building, not only cubes like Minecraft does, but actuall bamboo legs and similar stuff but in the end it would require a lot of development time. On other hand having idea like that multiplayer oriented (similar to Day Z) where players can share gathered resources, build homes together and attack eachother would be amazing, but again....a lot of work.

For now you are doing very well on athmosphere side and art side it will be interesting to see what gameplay mechanic you are going to come up with.