Search Unity

Story about your first dollar from making games

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rerwandi, Dec 18, 2014.

1. rerwandi

rerwandi

2. Nubz

Nubz

3. rerwandi

rerwandi

Lol wuttt :O

4. rerwandi

rerwandi

Lol wuttt :O

5. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

I made $500 using Unity to develop an application for a professor at FDU. He wanted a menu driven program with interactable 3D geometry that would look and perform the same on computer, web and mobile. Those requirements just screamed unity lol. I also made some stuff in flash for $30 an hour... and then it got scrapped when Apple's new version of Java (the first release of Java 7) broke Adobe's ipa exporter lol. I even got to work with SandSwept briefly for $1000 monthly to do general programming stuff (mutual termination when school picked up).

So far, I have completed less than 3 of my own games and have sold none. I bet the ending of that story was very disappointing :D

6. Ony

Ony

Well the first game I worked on that made money was "Madden NFL '96". It did alright, I guess.

derkoi likes this.
  7. N1warhead

N1warhead

I mean that's right you've been making games and music for over 200 years now LOL.
    Wish my life was that prosperous to want to live 200+ years haha.

8. N1warhead

N1warhead

Oops 300 not 200 lol.

9. kalamona

kalamona

Not really game, but game graphics... I made some flower models to Turbosquid. I kinda forgot that for a while, and after 4 months, I re-visited my Turbosquid page, to see that I sold it not only once, but TWICE! I earned like 10$ with it (after TSq cut, taxes, etc), that I couldn't even get (because didn't have an ITIN number back then), but that was thrilling, and a great experience :)

10. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

I once got a Blockbuster gift certificate as a runner up prize at a Street Fighter 3 tournament.

Does that count?

Cause if not, never. I've never made a dollar off of a game.

11. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

I made a dollar, but I needed at least $20 to get the money... so I never actually got to spend it.

12. rerwandi

rerwandi

how do you made it ? and is it stop at dollar ?
    did you use 20$ for the assets or marketing ?

13. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

It was through Kongregate, they have a system were you need at least $20 to actually get access to the money and I never reached that much.

14. Blacklight

Blacklight

With my 4 games I've made a grand total of $18.50 through Kongregate in the past 3 years. At this rate I'll only have to wait another 4-5 months before I can access my money! The anticipation is palpable!

TylerPerry likes this.
  15. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

I wrote an arcade game for an Acorn Atom. It was published as basic code in the Sept '83 version of Computer and Video Games. I got paid £20, which for a teenager back then was a boat load of money.

derkoi and Ony like this.
  16. derkoi

derkoi

I bought a quadcopter and crashed it. I wanted to practice flying again on a simulator but couldn't find one, so i made one myself. It's still selling an average of 30 copies a day and to date has sold almost 40,000 copies.

Graham-Dunnett and Ony like this.
  17. rerwandi

rerwandi

How much plays needed to get the 20$ in there ?

Glad to see your story guys

18. sphericPrawn

sphericPrawn

My first game, a webplayer game, has earned a whopping ~$0.50 from having on it hosted on a couple of game portals for a year. So that doesn't count.
    My second game, released on Android, had someone actually purchase the upgrade IAP. But that was just $0.99 minus fees, so that really doesn't count either. However, with about 275 downloads it has managed to earn me about $7 in ad revenue since release, so there we go haha. Even though that's such a small amount, it still feels awesome. I like to think of it as all the people who played my game chipping in to buy me a six pack ;)

19. Steve-Tack

Steve-Tack

It was a trip to get money *from* Microsoft on my first Xbox Live Indie Games game. The funny thing is, I would have marked it as free if that was an option, since I just mess with making games to have some fun. My first one made a few hundred dollars and my second made $3000. It was enough to later help justify buying a Unity Pro license (and way too many Asset Store things), so that's kinda cool.

20. Blacklight

Blacklight

As a rough guess, your game can pull in about $1 per 1000 plays on Kongregate. However, the biggest cut you can get from their ad revenue is 50% by including their API and remaining exclusive to their site, so you only get 50% of the money your game gets goes to you.

If you're looking to make anything more than a bit of pocket money, Kongregate probably isn't the place.