Search Unity

Still no plans for Linux editor support?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sam_Pr, Feb 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

I wish I knew enough about the 'AMD vs NVIDIA' thing to give a clever response. The best I can do is to say that the whole thing is apples and oranges. There's no point in comparing them because Intel picked apples, so apples win.

Yours was better. The chain is broken. The thread can get back on topic.

2. Ryiah

Ryiah

The phrase tends to be thrown around from time to time. My experience, and the research results I have made, is that their hardware generally runs hotter than the competition.

There is quite a bit of difference in the TDP ratings. The AMD FX series typically ranges from 95W to 125W. The Intel Core i7 Haswell ranges from 84W to 88W. Both series have their own "extreme" models with the AMD FX's at 220W and the Haswell at 140W.

My actual purchasing decisions though rarely involve heat dissipation. ;)

3. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

AMD runs hotter than NVIDIA? Lol no wonder mac doesn't use them! They already get so hot from normal use that my last one melted its charging cable and split open. And my current one gave me burns and boils when I rested my arm on it for too long :D I have scars now from that :(

Hopefully my tragic story influences your future consideration of heat dissipation lol. The human arm is an effective but costly medium for heat dissipation.

4. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

But they do.

Sounds like a defective unit.

--Eric

5. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

@Eric5h5 I didn't know any mac models had AMD :eek: unless you mean the new mac pro that has the amd firepro. I knew about that one, the 'Mac Trashcan', but I was thinking of laptops when I said that lol.

Actually, I was loading the source code for The Dead Linger into unity and oh my goodness was that a bad idea on a laptop. My charger cable faded from white to yellow to blue and then split open. And then I left Sandswept while simultaneously being fired because that college semester was quite overwhelming :p

6. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Currently the 5K iMac has AMD, and various models of all Mac types have had AMD in the past. Apple tends to switch back and forth between nVidia and AMD.

--Eric

7. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

If they run even hotter than NVIDIA cards, my mac would probably have melted that evening.

8. Ryiah

Ryiah

Graphics cards tend to be a different matter. Both manufacturers have had periods when they were producing cards that had a particularly high TDP. The reference GTX 980 has a TDP rating of 165W. Contrast this to my GTX 460 having one at 150W and the GTX 480 at 250W.

I'm not familiar enough with AMD's Radeons though to point out any specific models as running particularly cool.

9. CyRaid

CyRaid

Well, I too am a Linux user, and in need of a Linux Editor. A lot of responses are very immature, and it's quite sad. Though as of late, every major engine has been supporting Linux (Unreal, being a good example). Whether this is because Steam is pushing the Linux Gaming movement, or big games like Borderlands and Dying Light, etc. that have a very nice Linux version, and are bringing Linux gaming quite the traction.

Coding wise, there is already a Mac version for the editor. Having done some Linux work on the Unreal Editor (I've made an Android Target for the Linux Editor), and it's not too different supporting Linux. OpenGL is already supported, and many Unix commands are the same (as Mac is based on Unix). The differences are Windowing (X11) and Input, and other environment commands (which again, many are common to Mac).

There really is no excuse, I would even do the porting myself if it was Open Source (like Unreal).

10. Ryiah

Ryiah

There is more involved than simply porting the editor. Support would have to be provided for the Linux editor and is a continuous resource drain that simply never ends. Porting is very much the easy part.

Unreal 4 has an unofficial port. This means while you can use it on Linux, Epic themselves provide little to no support.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  11. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Why wouldn't you just use UE then? It has linux support (of a sort), you clearly are already using and know how. I'm just curious, you have the tools you need already, why do you need to Unity?

12. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

If there was no excuse, it would be done already. What's really immature is the naive insistence that Unity can just wave their hands and create a Linux version with no effort. To start with, did you even consider all the middleware that Unity uses?

--Eric

13. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

It would be amusing if that was the version the Hatred developers used.

Because without unity there is chaos and disorder :3

Since it started on Mac, Linux's rich cousin in the Unix family tree, and it moved to Windows... I don't even want to think of what kind of horrible things they've done to deliver such a great experience to both platforms regarding middleware. Have you used mono on windows!? It does such frightening things...

Code (CSharp):
    1. public void someFunction(){
    2.     //code
    3.     if(condition){
    4.         //things
    5.     } else {
    6.         //stuff
    7.     }
    8. };
    Look at that automatic formatting on if statements! Who would do such a thing!? Monodefaults are the devil's minions.

14. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Do you mean MonoDevelop? Mono and MonoDevelop are two entirely different things. The formatting is mostly fine, although I'd put the "else" on the next line. I doubt it actually puts that extraneous semicolon after the function, though.

--Eric

TylerPerry likes this.
  15. MarkrosoftGames

MarkrosoftGames

i still wish there was a linux version, especially since i can't find my windows 7 disc anymore...
    but anyways
    there are linux alternatives out there if you really hate windows that much, and i almost do.
    mono works in linux, and there is a framework called monogame. but i couldn't get that to work.

i found one last night called kivy that runs in python and utilizes pygame, and it has great cross platform support.

16. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

The semicolon was my mistake :p I was recreating the horrors I get from MonoDevelop on windows. I'm sure there's a way to change it, but it doesn't always do that and I am a whole new kind of lazy.

@banreaxe not to worry, 2015 is the year of the free!

Unity 5 is free!
    Unreal Engine 4 is free!
    Obama wants there to be free trade relations with Cuba!
    Microsoft wants windows 10+ to be free!

Interestingly enough, it appears that the windows 10 thing is also a sort of 'personal edition'.

17. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

(Are we drifting away from a discussion about a Linux version?)

18. Ryiah

Ryiah

If you have the product key handy you can download disc images from Microsoft.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-recovery

19. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

I believe we're approaching the core of this thread. Free stuff!

20. darkhog

darkhog

Knock yourself on your head okay? And strongly too. Linux is very good OS. Many enterprises are using it. And no, not only on their servers.

How about... Disney?
    How about... Dreamworks?
    How about... LucasArts (when it still existed)?

Those are all companies that are deep into game development and animation and use Linux not only as their backend, but frontend as well. Linux users aren't freeloaders either. If they would be, why Humble Bundle, bundle after bundle would get most money on average from, surprise surprise, LINUX users?

And you know what? I'd gladly trade off all (formerly) pro-only features, if that would mean if we'd get native Linux editor, KURWA JEGO JEBANA MAĆ!!!

21. Ryiah

Ryiah

You would have to ask @zombiegorilla. Though I believe he suggested it was mostly Mac. :p

zombiegorilla likes this.
  22. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Seems to be mostly Mac.

Key word being "average". It could be a few Linux users donating a huge amount and everyone else donating nothing.

--Eric

23. Ryiah

Ryiah

I know at least one Linux user who has done that too.

24. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Why so defensive? Nobody's said otherwise.

25. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Almost exclusively Mac on dev side (required for primary development). Some of the artists use Win (their choice). Producers/marketing/support/etc can use either Mac or Win. Linux isn't even option on the development side. Our web servers are a mix of LAMP and custom OS. I was over at LucasFilm last month, and didn't see anything but Macs. LucasArts (from what I have seen) was pretty much the same. (most of their archives seem to be either Win or Mac.)

NomadKing and Ryiah like this.
  26. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

I was referring to the angry vocal minority. For some reason, when ever you feed them free stuff, they complain that it isn't enough. I wouldn't suggest linux is a bad OS, and I definitely don't think the immature angry peoples would have the intelligence to use it. Not even ubuntu! lol

yes.

@zombiegorilla You're affiliated with Disney? I feel more oblivious than a goldfish on these forums from time to time.

27. cl9-2

cl9-2

Has anyone tried Urho3d?

It's open source and free software, philosophically consistent with what GNU/Linux is about. It's way less resource intensive than Unreal. No royalties either.

28. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

@cl.9 would you mind comparing it to Godot?

29. cl9-2

cl9-2

I haven't used Godot. With my brief time in Urho3d,
    • I had the choice between Lua (actually LuaJIT), "AngelScript", and compiling native C++. I mostly used Lua
    • I was able to import a number of model formats (I believe Godot only supports Collada and OBJ at the moment)
    • I recognized the ECS design pattern somewhat like the one in Unity
    • An iOS project up and running and deployed to a device with good performance
    • I found the scene editor somewhat awkward, but not a show-stopper

30. darkhog

darkhog

Thanks for the tip, cl.9! Didn't know about that, will definitely keep an eye on it.

Godot has all things good, except scripting. GDScript is python-based for Pete's sake. And python is not good (pythons are known to strangle their owners and users).

Since Urho3d seems to be using Lua, thing that Godot's author said will not work in engine because reasons (where reasons are excuses), I'll keep a close eye on it. That being said, I'll probably finish my current Unity project in Unity as I don't want to port over (much of already done work would go to waste).

31. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

@darkhog lua is better than python?

@cl.9 Do you need a mac to produce a .ipa?

32. cl9-2

cl9-2

This company, and well as this one, claim it's possible to produce IPA's on Windows (and by extension, WINE), but I haven't tested them.

Lua in most cases is considerably faster than Python.

LuaJIT supports JIT compilation on almost every supported platform except iOS (Apple mandated restriction), and in many cases runs faster than vanilla Lua.

darkhog, Ryiah and Tomnnn like this.
  33. Ostwind

Ostwind

I've used the iOS build env over a year to test ios versions quickly and it's been working fine for mono builds

34. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

Thanks for the information. I've been seeing nothing but trouble for softwares compiling for iOS. I almost made a big career shift towards phonegap but I don't want to be forced into using the cloud building service to get ipas.

It's interesting that LUA is fast. Does it help with the reputation for 1-base languages? haha.

35. darkhog

darkhog

Not to mention better syntax. We have proper scope terminators instead of indentation-based BS.

Pardon my ignorance, but what is 1-base language?

36. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

It means that indexing begins at 1 instead of 0. Instead of array[0], your first element is array[1]. It's really what you learned that creates your bias, but I also prefer my pointers starting at index 0 because I love numbers and the way numbers work is that each place in your base is 0 up to base-1. You don't write 10 in 1 place, you write 1 in the 10s place and 0 in the 1s place. 0 through 9 is 10 values. Blah blah, creepy computer science lecture about numbers and bases.

And by "looked down upon" I mean anyone who takes CS100 in college gets to learn python. And oh what fun python is. My top 2 grievances with python would be...

1- white space matters / tabs and individual spaces matter and are different (4 spaces != 1 tab)
    2 - the implementation of 1 < 2 < 3 actually means what it looks like at first glance. It's not the traditional cs (1 < 2) < 3 which becomes true < 3 (1 < 3). Instead, python actually has it implemented to be 1 < 2 && 2 < 3, which is just... so typical of a scripting language, pardon my racism ;) haha

37. darkhog

darkhog

Tomnnn likes this.
  38. thxfoo

thxfoo

This link is really BS and that guy has really no idea what he talks about.

39. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

that link was pretty funny, thanks. I'm happy to see some of my favorites there

40. thxfoo

thxfoo

Most developers I know have their IDE configured to convert tabs to spaces. So you never have that problem.

41. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

The problem came when trying to migrate a little bit of code from project A to project B. The transplant turned the tabs into spaces and it had to be retyped.

I have accepted that some scripting languages have their purposes (like web & mobile computation where 1 thread is all you need), but my gosh, who thought x < y < z was a good idea? My cs professors certainly did not. The white space thing is also kinda... why? It's one of the few languages where I can't put an entire program on 1 line if I wanted to :p

42. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

To enforce readable code; cramming tons of stuff on one line is a great way to make things incomprehensible. To see why it's not a bad idea, take a look at a random noob code post, where it's likely to be borderline (or past the border) unreadable due to the "everything scattered every which way" formatting. Anyway this has nothing to do with Linux anymore.

--Eric

Ryiah likes this.
  43. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

@Eric5h5 it's not unreadable, I use comments ;)

Code (CSharp):
    1. for(/*initialize i to 0*/int i = 0;/*check if */i /*is less*/ </*than 5*/ 5;i++/*and post increment i*/){/*take the sum*/sum += 1/*and add 1 to it*/;}
    I forget what it's called, but there's also the video player where the source code for it is formatted to look like an ascii art video player lol.

44. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Gah...I'm sure there's some kind of rule against posting code like that. ;)

So, Linux! How 'bout that Linux, eh? Linux Linux Linux.

--Eric

45. darkhog

darkhog

Code readability leads to job loss and job insecurity. One liners with mysterious variable names makes for secure job where after firing you they'll either quickly hire you back or try to decipher the code for months (or years, if you're good at this) and go bankrupt while they're at it. More info about how to maintain your job security, because let's face it, this is the only thing you actually need to maintain.

Getting back to Linux editor support, I'd say that Unity still fail to set the trends. They did so at first, but now they are cowardly following.

It was especially visible at the GDC. Was Unity first to announce "free for all", feature complete version of their engine? No, it was Epic.

Unity is now cowardly kid that hides behind his mother. Not the handsome adventurer that was going straight into danger, face first it once was. Even though they have now much more resources and they could pull it off if they've tried.

Tomnnn likes this.
  46. Ryiah

Ryiah

Yet you are still stubbornly using Unity. Why is that?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2015
  47. Ostwind

Ostwind

Yeah it's kinda weird to constantly whine about the same things and refer to UE4 over and over again. If UE4 has perfect linux support, its 110% free and rainbows are everywhere why do you keep repeating the same things here for months and have not moved there already?

48. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Unity was planning to announce that all along (which is a fact; the info was leaked by a third party a few days early). Anybody who's capable of rational thought couldn't seriously think they'd be able to make such a major change to their entire infrastructure in a day like that. Epic made a move to steal their thunder, which seems to have worked, at least for people who are predisposed to uncritically think that way.

So your transparent attempt to shame Unity as a "follower" failed badly, I'm afraid.

--Eric

49. ArthurT

ArthurT

If anything, Epic were the ones who shot themselves in the foot with that. Last year they managed to steal the show, this year not so much. And it played out quite well, UE4 being free gave any doubters to try it out the day before Unity 5's release, just so they would switch back to Unity. If anything, I'd consider Source 2 being the followers of "going free".

Most of these features were to be expected and are planned long time, no company would risk their business by throwing themselves over the fence without proper planning. Including PR marketing and the likes.

50. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

Ha! Glad I'm not the only one who thinks that.

It's funny that you say this. They did actually give everyone with a history of a UE subscription $30 to spend on the asset store.

That's not really fair to say. Some people live in Texas, you know.

"Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs that are simply a relabeling of Outcome-Based Education (OBE) (mastery learning) which focus on behavior modification and have the purpose of challenging the student’s fixed beliefs and undermining parental authority." - Texas GOP

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.