Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Still no plans for Linux editor support?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sam_Pr, Feb 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

No, that's simply not how it works. It's not just a matter of some people hacking out some code, calling it "done" and moving onto the next thing. It has to be planned. Risk assessment has to be done. It has to be worked into a schedule, where there will be inter-dependencies with other things. It has to be QA'd, and it will impact the QA of other things where there are inter-dependencies, and it will alter the "critical path" of the project's task set. That's to get the first version ready. After that, it has to be consistently maintained as Unity moves forward.

puzzud was talking about Shadowrun.

Ryiah and Andy-Touch like this.
  2. squid_rolls

squid_rolls

Developer at a mid sized indie studio here. Just signed up with a temp account to give the Unity team a heads up that the lack of a Linux Editor was unfortunately the final deciding factor for our team to go with UDK subscriptions instead, as the majority of our developers use Linux workstations.

We are a Canadian studio with CMF funding, so cost was a non-issue for us when finalizing our decision on an engine and licenses.

Also as a side note the professionalism in this thread is very disappointing, especially surprising from all of the Unity staff members who posted.

Seeing this long standing proposal with no movement from Unity is a bit shocking: http://feedback.unity3d.com/suggestions/platforms-unity-editor-for-linu

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
  3. Ryiah

Ryiah

Truly amazing the number of people who sign up solely to post in this thread...

I'll assume this means Linux was a choice of preference rather than cost. I can understand choosing a platform out of preference, but I cannot understand those who use platform licensing cost as justification.

Platform licensing costs are almost always going to be cheaper than paying royalties for an engine such as UE4.

You mean UE4. UDK is their older Unreal 3 engine and is effectively dead. It also doesn't have subscriptions.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
  4. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Dunno if you were referring to us, but we certainly fit that description. We are mostly Mac with the occasional Winders machines. (though purely Mac for the primary dev pipeline.)

5. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

Yes. But not everyone can decode "the house of mouse".

6. renascienza

renascienza

I suspect that puzzud was talking about you, Graham. If wasn't, I am.

Your first comment It was far from what I would consider courteous with a potential paying user. Your are talking for your company when you talk about "how much licenses you can pay to us?" or "I would like a Lamborgini"? This was a toxic attitude. Contempt and sarcasm are hardly part of the language that you should use with consumers (or on any business), to paying users or not.

Instead, an educated approach explaining the financial difficulties that the project entails would have attended to the user question (with far less words), even without regard to their expectations.

My studio is considering a joint venture with a partner and since last year I began to analyze the engine solutions available for Android. We only work with Linux workstations (and the reasons for doing so are our business only).

From what I saw in this topic, I understand that I need to disregard Unity. A little because the possibility of editing the system we use does not exist and more by the apparent bad attitude that said company representatives have about the problem and to deal with users.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  7. Ryiah

Ryiah

Were they a potential paying user though? I don't see where they announced they were interested in buying Unity Pro licenses if the editor gained Linux support. I have yet to see that from a lot of those who are posting in this thread asking for an editor.

There have been posts stating the reason to go with Linux was a financial reason. Windows supposedly being too expensive to license. Are they going to buy a $1,500 product if they don't want to pay $50 for Windows?

Until people start announcing their intentions to buy Unity Pro, they may as well be thought of as Unity Free users only.

You made the choice to go with Linux for your production environment. You cannot expect everyone to support your choice if it is not financially viable to do so.

Yet another user who signed up solely to post in this thread. It is starting to feel a little suspicious. This thread is most certainly not on the first, second, or even third page of results for a search of "Unity Linux".

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
    Deon-Cadme likes this.
  8. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

Well, you can contact our Sales team, let them know your company size and the number of licenses you need. That will at least add to the real people who want to spend real money on a Linux version.

Ryiah likes this.
  9. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

If you look at my posts here, you'll probably find that 10% of them use car analogies. It's what I do. If you find my car analogies disrespectful, then I am sorry for that. But I'll continue, because that is what I do. I don't think it's toxic, personally. This is a community site, and the community approach is not always professional. I could decide that this forum is a community site and leave the community to discuss things with each other. I choose to contribute, because many members enjoy un-official, slightly amusing input from me and other members of my team.

Yes, I am talking as a member of Unity. Supporting new platforms requires financial commitment. I'm not part of marketing, or sales, or business development.

djweinbaum, Devil_Inside and Cogent like this.
  10. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

Also shocking is that 14228 people haven't all contacted sales to discuss their purchasing requirements. The feedback site tells us what people want, not need.

Cogent, Ostwind and Ryiah like this.
  11. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

It makes perfect sense, though. They weren't using Unity before, so they had no reason to already be here. And they're going with another tool, so there's no reason to stick around here.

Also, it should be appreciated when someone who chooses not to be a customer decides to pop in and leave feedback anyway. The fact that they cared enough to do so implies it was a pretty close call.

Really? When I make a purchase decision I don't contact the sales team for every product I consider. Do you?

darkhog, 0tacun, Ryiah and 1 other person like this.
  12. Ryiah

Ryiah

Yes. They are leaving feedback in a thread that is not particularly easy to find unless you search via the forum's internal search tool. Google is not finding this specific thread when I ask it to find anything related to Linux support with Unity. This includes when I specify that it should only check this site.

I simply feel this is a bit unusual. Almost as if someone started up a Reddit thread and is asking for people to post in this thread. Nothing wrong with that if it is the case, but I would love to know how people are finding this thread.

13. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

darkhog, Cogent, thxfoo and 1 other person like this.
  14. Ryiah

Ryiah

Assuming they all took that or similar advice. Some of the posts in this thread leave me doubtful.

Nice link though. I've seen it a couple times but I never remembered to bookmark it. I'll have to read over it at some point.

15. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Well, the only part they had to take was "go to the most relevant forum and try the most obvious search terms". Given the nature of Linux and its community you end up doing that a lot.

16. burritotastemaster

burritotastemaster

Yeah, I only signed up to weigh in on this subject as well,
    (and I in fact did find this via the first page on Google for "unity3d linux support".)

The initial lack of Linux support and the subsequent attitude of Unity Staff in regards to the implementation of said support is appalling, and as a result I now have one less cross-platform suite to discuss with my (mostly Linux based) team for implementing the design of our upcoming game. There are plenty of people in the development world who are (quite obviously, for the last 5 years) interested in purchasing (unavailable) Linux licenses for this program, but I'm glad our money is going elsewhere.

Thank you for your help in our decision making process.

17. Ryiah

Ryiah

Google is tailoring the results more for you then as it doesn't turn up for me. Both with and without the quotes.

It seems Graham feels you should contact sales and discuss purchasing requirements. He is probably correct in that it is the proper channel to go through rather than creating an account solely to post in a thread that is frequently buried.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
    Dantus and HemiMG like this.
  18. darkhog

darkhog

What the use of contacting sales to ask about buying Linux license when such license is non-existent?

19. Dantus

Dantus

If a significant amount of companies and individuals get in touch with sales and show serious interest in a Linux license, it will have an actual impact.

20. Ryiah

Ryiah

What benefit is there to creating an account solely to complain and state your intentions of writing Unity off your list of game engines to consider?

When the opportunity presents itself to re-evaluate the viability of porting the Linux editor, which would you prefer to be the bigger list? The "people who saw we lacked an editor and have permanently written us off" or the "people who have promised to invest in us when we do it"?

These individuals who appear, complain, and then write it off are doing nothing beneficial to help their cause. They may as well have never shown up at all.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
  21. Ryiah

Ryiah

It doesn't even state how many people are voting on it. It only states the number of votes and you can spend all your votes on one entry. We may have as many as ~14,600 people voting or we may only have one tenth that amount.

22. Ostwind

Ostwind

Knowing how much some my Linux using friends are doing for the "cause" in general every week (tweeting, linking all Linux stuff) I wouldn't be surprised if majority of the votes are from one time registrations hitting 10 votes just because the vote is about Linux. Some of them possibly have even nothing to do with gaming industry but are just trying to up the Linux scene.

The vote has been up over four years now and still one post warriors end up here telling how everyone is using Linux and how it's a big mistake for Unity to skip this. Well they probably see how many of the voters actually even have other than 10 vote activity and from that margin group how many are potential long term customers.

UT can't do a huge business decision only based on hobbyist votes who possibly buy the pro for one year and then give up cause their MMORPG was too hard to make or who change engines each year when they see more shiny features or bling bling. They need business customers too who acquire multiple license for multiple platforms and stay as customers for few years.

edit: fixed typos

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
  23. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Probably the former. People who have a genuine business case (projects and/or business lines) aren't going to wait around, so people promising to buy later represent people to whom a game engine is a "nice to have", not a "must have". It's cool that they're looking at Unity, but they're probably not solid candidates for long-term, volume purchasing customers. On the other hand, people who already picked and went with something else represent people who did have something serious going on to the point where they couldn't wait. And while those specific organizations are gone, it's the trending number of such organizations that's important.

24. Ryiah

Ryiah

Are they serious though? While they may have legitimate reasons for using Linux, it strikes me that sticking to the platform with the least number of game development resources would be the more limiting decision. Does Linux even have any exclusive development resources that would make it worthwhile to consider it as a primary platform?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
    Devil_Inside and Ony like this.
  25. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

They're serious enough to have picked a product/service and started work. If someone's willing to wait around for something that's out of their control and has no ETA that's a strong indicator that they're not serious about the related project.

It's not all about "game development". There are any number of applications which may benefit from 3D visualisation capability, and if their existing development platform is Linux based then it could be a reasonable requirement that they'll only go with tools that will fit into that. (If given one option of "migrate entire business to another development platform" or "pick different tools for one component of a larger project", which would you do?)

0tacun, Ryiah and Ony like this.
  26. Deleted User

Deleted User

I'm one of those hobby developers who gave 10 votes and I have no plans to buy a license because I'm not that rich, student and don't have a job. I'm using Linux for reasons people know and removed Windows for reasons people know. This was a decision I made and UT should not be obligated to build a Linux editor entirely because there are like +10000 votes made by like 1000 people whom you cannot ensure whether they are going to buy a license or not.

As for the 'real' customers (those who actually have bought or are planning to buy a license), how many are there? Does the UT team actually have information about the amount of studios that actually are willing to spend money? I've seen quite some posts, the page with those 10k votes and of course the blogpost (isn't that yours Graham? I don't remember). The solution is simply plain obvious: UT makes a Linux editor when people pay for it.

As for my suggestion: why not an advanced poll? Ask people their opinion and also information to prove their studio is real and not some made up story just to take advantage of the situation. A studio is a company and therefore has its law duties (that is the case in many EU countries though). I do not have professional knowledge on this subject but it may be a possibility.

angrypenguin and Ryiah like this.
  27. MarkFowler

MarkFowler

As I have stated in this or another thread is that all Unity has to do to get a Linux editor (which I would love) would be to work with the Wine team and let them know what dependencies or files, calls or whatever the editor needs to run correctly, and let the Linux community make it work.

I'm on Linux for the stability, speed and security that it has over Windows and have been fighting with myself to go Windows just for Unity. Of course, my lack of love for Windows and its bloated design, terrible update system and vulnerabilities keep me from coming back. I love Unity, but can't sit through the hours of installing and updating Windows just to have it.

With that said, as I stated before, I may give this a try and see how it works. I'll let you know how it goes.

darkhog and thxfoo like this.
  28. Ryiah

Ryiah

Wine is simply unacceptable for anything critical. Any effort put towards a Linux editor should be done correctly with a proper port. Not a half-baked solution that will break at any moment with the frequent regressions Wine sees.

I cannot imagine anyone in a professional capacity trusting such a solution. It may be acceptable for hobbyists, but they alone won't cover the cost of the port.

Yet you are willing to use Wine which strikes me as a step in the wrong direction. Why not use a virtual machine running Windows? It would be far more reliable.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
    Ony likes this.
  29. darkhog

darkhog

Because Windows, as Microsoft's product, suck on any imaginable level. From interface which is simply rehash of what Linux had before for years (Aero = Poor man's Compiz, "Modern" UI = Win 3.1 Program Manager + Poor man's GNOME Shell). It doesn't even have proper shell! And before you ask, no, "Power" Shell isn't a proper shell. The only thing powerful about it is its name. Windows would be better off with bash, to be honest.

The only thing Microsoft ever did right was C# and that's only because people previously involved with creation of Object Pascal (used in that little known product Delphi ;)), all of whom I respect, worked on it and didn't let M$ drones fruit it up!

Not to mention that anything newer than WinXP runs like crap in VM.

30. Ryiah

Ryiah

What are the specifications for your computer? If you're lacking hardware virtualization, you'll find pretty much anything new runs terrible in a VM. I've also had better luck with performance inside of VMware than Virtual Box.

Why would I waste my time asking something I already know the answer to? I'm certain I've stated before, in this very thread that nobody seemed to have read but me, that I'm very comfortable with Linux. I started in the Red Hat 9 era though most of my time was spent on Slackware and Debian.

Being a Windows user does not automatically label me as someone who has never tried Linux you know. Choosing an OS is a bit like choosing a game engine. You pick the one that handles your needs. Linux is a fantastic OS, but an OS by itself is not enough to make a computer usable.

Not to mention you can use bash on Windows. Simply grab and install Cygwin.

31. Ryiah

Ryiah

Do you know what I've found to be the most vulnerable part? The part that sits between the keyboard and chair. I've encountered so many situations where a password was unsecure not because of the OS but because of the user.

I remember my dad's company's Unix server being "hacked" because one of the users had their password set to the same thing as their username. I've had to recover passwords for individuals and had those passwords break within a matter of minutes due to how simplistic they were.

Vulnerabilities are the least problematic thing for me. Having to deal with non-techie users is the real headache.

tango209 likes this.
  32. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

And yet... you're advocating a production solution that fundamentally involves leveraging an emulated 3rd party version of that sucky product.

I don't really understand your justifications for why Windows sucks, either. I'm not especially a fan myself, but I also don't understand the hate. It's improved quite drastically over the past few years, and none of the flaws you allude to have ever impacted on my productivity (though this would of course depend on the type of work you do) and won't ever impact the vast majority of users. That's not to say that they're not valid criticisms, simply that they're largely based on either personal tastes or niche requirements.

As an aside: I used a desktop Linux OS (a recent Ubuntu) a few days ago for a bit, and was super pleasantly surprised. That's also come a long way since I last used it a few years ago.

tango209 and Ryiah like this.
  33. MarkFowler

MarkFowler

Well, I tried using openSUSE to get Unity running and let me tell you, openSUSE is more "nerdy" than Mint (my OS of choice). I couldn't figure out how to get Wine installed on it. I know, I know, I fail at research. But if I can't find the proper tutorial on their site(s) on how to install Wine (there are multiple files to look at, not one that says "download me!" and what I thought was right had an error, no help from the openSUSE pages or Winehq).

So, I gave up, pretty quickly. All the user-friendly features of Debian/Ubuntu/Mint are too good to not use, so I guess I will say goodbye to Unity and look to jMonkeyEngine as my goto game engine.

I'll keep watching this thread in hopes of a Linux editor, but no breath holding will take place, I promise you.

PS: I agree, Ryiah, Wine is not a real alternative, its buggy and works for Windows apps less than desired. What is not available is using a virtual machine, as its a pain to get 3D working on it, along with too many issues of Untiy not working fully as well on a VM. And yes, the most vulnerable thing about any computer is the person behind the desk. I for one have very original passwords you'd never guess.

PSS: Oh, and I would buy a UnityPro license if a Linux editor was made, in a heartbeat. Along with an Android Pro license.

34. Ryiah

Ryiah

It may very well happen someday, but I'm not counting on it either. I simply feel like UT won't be able to pay attention to anything but purchasing requirements from actual companies. It may not have to be big or even moderately sized companies, but this thread likely won't be enough evidence, the feedback system is not reliable at best and exploitable at worst, and the email idea from Graham is about in line with the feedback system in terms of users being able to "spam" it.

35. Deleted User

Deleted User

There is something that came to my mind just yesterday. Like I said earlier, UT would make a Linux editor if people would pay for it. But I've noticed also that there are other engines with support for Linux. I've actually seen quite some posts the past few months from users saying they are planning to pick another engine because of it.

Now I do not know if these are free users, if they are bluffing or not. But are they? Has UT actually lost subscriptions because people have chosen another engine? I wonder if so, and how many.

darkhog likes this.
  36. thxfoo

thxfoo

Very easy. Not nerdy. You don't have to "search and download from the internet" most software. It is in the repositories already linked to your Linux.
    Also all software is kept up to date by one system, not like on windows where keeping up to date all software is hell.

way 1:
    Press start button, start typing 'software', click 'software management', search 'wine' and install.

way 2:
    Press start button, type 'yast'.
    In yast click 'software management', search 'wine' and install.

way 3:
    Or on command line:
    sudo zypper install wine

Learn to do everything on command line if you plan to switch to Linux permanently, it's how PROs handle PCs. You are much faster than with mouse once you get it.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
    darkhog and Ryiah like this.
  37. Dantus

Dantus

If Unity has lost subscribers or pro users because there is no editor for Linux, I guess they know how to do the math to find out whether it would be financially more viable to create an editor for Linux and not to loose further customers like that.

38. Dave-Taylor

Dave-Taylor

My apologies if I missed this before, but there's a lot a talk about the work involved in making a Linux version of the editor, but I couldn't find any specifics about what that work entails. As you've already made it so that you can generate Linux players, it seems like you've already done the work on your low-level sound/graphics code, which tends to be the awfullest part. Otherwise, Linux is a pretty close cousin to OSX if you're already using a portable GUI library like Qt or something. Is your GUI code the missing part of this?

If not too onerous a port, I'd like to recommend taking a chance on Linux, even if the obvious sales aren't lining up outside your door. I did the original Linux ports of Doom & Quake back in the day, and I think it was good for us in a lot of subtle and not-so-subtle ways that would not have been at all obvious from the market conditions.

d96302 and darkhog like this.
  39. Dantus

Dantus

I won't answer your actual question directly, because I am getting tired of it to be honest. My impression is that many who ask that question assume that there is absolutely no interest by Unity in porting it, which is completely wrong.
    Many parts of Unity already work on Linux. They were ported by enthusiastic people that are working for Unity and at least some of them are actual Linux fans. Some Unity engineers also spent some time during a Ninja camp to get the editor running on Linux. I strongly believe they would love it to have a Linux editor. Unity has a huge amount of experience in porting its code to various platforms. They know a lot better than anyone else what the difficulties are and especially they have far better knowledge about the associated cost of porting and maintaining it. But they don't port it, because they believe it wouldn't pay off.

Ryiah likes this.
  40. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

The GUI system in the Editor is in the runtime engine anyway, so that's unlikely to be it. Remember there's lots of 3rd party stuff as well, so complications might arise from stuff that's not in-house code that Unity can port themselves.

Ryiah and tango209 like this.
  41. Ostwind

Ostwind

It's not only about the porting part. They would then have to also maintain the Linux editor forever to be at around same state as Mac/Windows editors and with most of the supported platforms. It's a huge load of work and includes QA, support, etc.

angrypenguin and Ryiah like this.
  42. beenlord

beenlord

to be honest i can't see why i should even consider buying the pro version of unity at its huge price point (for a student with a small amount of income) let alone pay roughly the same price for continues updates if it doesn't even support my platform, even though i managed to get another engine that does support it for less than 5% of the price during a steam sale :( i mean what's the point of making a game engine with linux support of you constantly have to boot between windows and Linux every time you want to make changes?

darkhog likes this.
  43. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Why would you reboot when you can simply run Linux in a VM? Works great. Even if you didn't want to do that for some reason, you would just have one computer running OS X or Windows and another computer running Linux (because really, how many devs have only one computer).

--Eric

44. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

You'd buy the reduced price student version.

45. Ryiah

Ryiah

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
  46. Nubz

Nubz

Still as pointless as ever if you pull your head out and think about it.

47. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Oh, I don't know, Linux is alright for some things. ;)

48. cod3r

cod3r

Valve is pushing its new platform to be on Linux. Don't be so quick to dismiss it as a future contender in the gaming world.

darkhog likes this.
  49. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Who's dismissing it as a gaming platform?

50. Ryiah

Ryiah

In line with what angrypenguin said, Unity already supports publishing games to Linux. It simply does not support an editor on that platform. Has Valve released their development tools on Linux yet?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.