Search Unity

Steamworks for Unity

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by reallyjoel1, Nov 2, 2011.

1. reallyjoel1

reallyjoel1

2. Fernando Factor

Fernando Factor

I'm preparing a game to sell into steam, and when the time comes I will take a look at this asset.

Good job!

3. ant001

ant001

cool

4. Games-Foundry

Games-Foundry

Something we may use in the future. Will keep an eye on this one.

5. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Does it work with macs?

6. Overwind

Overwind

Good to know there's stuff like this there when I need it. Good work :)

7. Ullukai

Ullukai

ouch $300 = not me > don't have that kind of money > other than that wow , wish i could use it

8. lion-gv

lion-gv

If you got your game accepted by steam, it would be worth plopping down $300.

9. Dreamora

Dreamora

without being accepted on steam you can't use it and when you are, $300 should be no problem at all anymore

10. reallyjoel1

reallyjoel1

11. Duskling

Duskling

Thank you. So. Much.

Multiply this post by 1000000 because I don't want to spam.

12. RobinS

RobinS

Awesome ! ..bookmarked :)

13. TehWut

TehWut

Awesome!! I think I'll buy this when my game is finished.

Also, @ whiny posts ;)

14. Alec

Alec

Very very interesting, I was planning on attempting to use Steamworks

15. sh0v0r

sh0v0r

Excellent, I am getting close to my Steam submission so I will be very interested in looking at this soon.

16. bobbey

bobbey

Are there plans to add?
    1: DRM Key-based authentication
    2: Auto update
    3: Matchmaking/Lobbies
    4: Beta-testing

17. NOVASOFTstudios

NOVASOFTstudios

Hang on, couldn't you publish Unity games to Steam anyway?

If so, what exactly does this do?

18. NOVASOFTstudios

NOVASOFTstudios

^ +1

19. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

You can submit your game to Steam, then Valve will evaluate it and decide if they think its good enough for their platform. If they like it, they'll accept you into the Steamworks program, which gives you access to the Steamworks SDK, which is a C++ API that needs to be integrated into your game before it can be published. It has no .NET wrapper by default, so in order to integrate without this package, you'd have to write it yourself in C++ as a native plugin (I think).

20. NOVASOFTstudios

NOVASOFTstudios

Would you still have to do that if you submitted it, say, via Union?

21. LastSipahi

LastSipahi

I wish I've searched "How can I find a bag of gold?" on google. Well timed release, thanks.

22. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

I don't think Union does Steam. there has yet to be a Union release on Steam, Union has mostly been Blackberry, Nokia, and other smartphone platforms... I don't think Steam is deemed to have enough business/technical barriers to warrant being a platform you need Union for, much like the App Store.

And even if Unity did release your game on Steam with Union, they would not pay you until they recouped the cost of development it cost them to Integrate the Steamworks API, which I imagine would probably exceed $300.

23. lucidcoder

lucidcoder

Absolutely bookmarked. You just saved me a week's worth of coding. :)

24. Dreamora

Dreamora

Also you don't need Union for Steam, all you need is Unity Pro + either this plugin or one you wrote yourself

25. TehWut

TehWut

Not just distribution, but also Valve "highly recommends" (all but requires actually) to have all the steamworks, including stats, achievements, e.t.c

:megusta:

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  26. Mark-Davis

Mark-Davis

Super cool guys! I'll definitely keep this in mind, and would gladly shell out $300 for a fully tested wrapper if it saved at least a few days time.

27. Fehr

Fehr

Hey Guys, I'm getting: "Could not initialize the native Steamworks API. This is usually caused by a missing steam_appid.txt file or if the Steam client is not running."

Does this need to run with any specific version of teh Steamworks API?

28. kersk

kersk

I downloaded the lite version to check it out -- I was disappointed to see that only the dll is included. Is this the case for the full version as well? Having access to all the source code is pretty critical to me before I would be willing to shell out $150/$300 dollars. Being locked out of making my own changes to quickly fix any bugs or adapt to Steam API changes is a very big risk. If I ran into that situation, I would be out the week or so to recode this myself, as well as losing the money spent to buy this. If you included the source code, however, it becomes much more likely that I could just modify the code instead of starting from scratch... and that really helps to justify buying this. For the price you are asking, this seems like a must.

Also, do you have any info on how this will interact with the new Steam Greenlight process that is launching soon? It sounds like they have already halted all indie game applications until the new system goes live, and I'm curious if you've reached out to Valve to confirm that your product will remain compatible with the new submission process. Again, for the premium price you are asking, this is important.

29. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Will this plugin be updated to support Linux on steam?

30. Games-Foundry

Games-Foundry

Looks like the time has come now we've been greenlit on Steam Greenlight. To echo hippocoder, any news on Linux support? Also, given the lack of activity, source code needs to be included in the pro version.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  31. wsworin

wsworin

We've been greenlit on Steam as well (StarForge). Hopefully source code can be released as I purchased it, this would save us a lot of time as we want to add more features and linux support.

32. mamoniem

mamoniem

great submition .!
    m;

33. virror

virror

Seems kind of dead, over a year since the last reply from the OP : /

34. Games-Foundry

Games-Foundry

Don't worry, it's not dead. They made a post on their website in November that an update is coming. Should be any time soon.

35. relyes

relyes

Any updates here?

36. Games-Foundry

Games-Foundry

37. reallyjoel

reallyjoel

Hi guys,

So sorry for not updating this thread for so long!

To recap what's happened:
    * It's now only $50 on the Asset Store! For source access, the price is still $300.
    * We now have a programmer working full-time on this integration, and updates are flowing out in a steady pace.
    * As of today we're on the latest SDK version (1.23) and will continue to stay up to date within days of new SDK releases
    * We're pretty much 1:1 with all the features in the Steamworks API, some very small things missing here and there which we will complete very soon
    * We're also working on some extra helper functions like handling the HTTP requests for IAP in an easier way for you
    * We're doing everything we can with supporting Linux, but can't make any promises there. Any insight there would be highly apreciated!

We're submitting the latest version today to the Asset Store (it takes a couple of days for it to show up). The source repository is updated continiously every day and has all the latest stuff!

38. SevenBits

SevenBits

It should still be the same API. It can't be too difficult, I would imagine.

39. Stephen-Lavelle

Stephen-Lavelle

Hey, I just got this today and have been trying to hook it up on Linux. Unfortunately, I'm getting a "Could not load a dll file" error for SteamworksNative.

I'm not big on linux anymore, I'm not sure where I'm meant to put libSteamworksNative.so - I've tried putting it in the same directory as the executable (beside steam_appid.txt) , but it doesn't get picked up. The documentation seems to say I should put them in somewhere like /usr/lib, though do I really need to have to do this? It would make deployment a lot more awkward. (If this is necessary, are there any installer scripts you could share that do this?)

[edit: I just tried copying them into /usr/lib, and am getting the same error]

Generally I think it's good work. I had my own super-light wrapper for windows/mac, but couldn't deal with doing a linux one as well - especially given the price drop :)

40. reallyjoel

reallyjoel

Hi guys,

Just popping in to say two things: first, we have now fully covered everything in the Steamworks API, it's currently on the latest version, and it works on Windows, Mac and Linux. =)

Second, I'm sorry but I just keep forgetting to check this thread so please send your questions and issues to steamworks@ludosity.com - we will answer you much much faster through there.

thanks!

41. Sparty

Sparty

Anyone know if this will work with the latest steamworks sdk (v1.28)?

Thanks,
    -Eric

42. LionTR

LionTR

^ We are using in with 1.27 without problems, so I think it should be okay with the newest (1.28 ) as well.

I have a questions to others who use this plugin: Did you ever used it for implementing in app purchases on Steam? They say all the steam features are implemented and supported by the plugin, but I can't find a proper documentation on how to do it (or in fact, how to do anything), and it's not covered in the sample project that's included with the plugin.

I also wrote to the email address posted a couple posts earlier in this topic by them, but got no answer :/

43. SteveB

SteveB

This is a real shame, but clearly a perfect opportunity for another developer to create a Steam wrapper

44. Sparty

Sparty

Just fyi. This was updated a week or so ago to work with the latest SDK.

45. SteveB

SteveB

Great news, thanks Sparty, but why is this not being mentioned by the developer?

Thats what makes this disconcerting, the lack of communication...

46. BrixtonDynamics

BrixtonDynamics

We've got a couple of games lined up for steam so this is definitely interesting. Thanks.

47. Hakumaru

Hakumaru

I would like to know what's up with this? Still all in good shape? My crew has not bought it yet, but i would like to know how hard it would be to implement the things offered? Also, is it still currently working?

48. danny_sauropod

danny_sauropod

Hey,

Anyone getting "Could not initialize the native Steamworks API" error? I did place the steam_appid.txt file in the Assets folder. And the steam client is running as well.

I'm waiting for a reply from Ludosity, but I wanted to know if you guys also ran into this and fixed it?

Thanks!

49. SteveB

SteveB

Did you also place the steam_api.dll in the same directory as the steam_appid.txt?

Both should be at the same level as your /Assets folder, not inside the /Assets folder.

Cheers

50. Sparty

Sparty

Anyone getting this error with the new update?
    I am getting this compile error when I import the plugin. The steamworks.cs initiates correctly in editor, but Im getting this error on Stats.cs when I import the plugin.

"Assets/Plugins/Example Code/Stats.cs(45,19): error CS0019: Operator `==' cannot be applied to operands of type `ManagedSteam.SteamTypes.GameID' and `ManagedSteam.SteamTypes.AppID'"

and

"Assets/Plugins/Example Code/Stats.cs(98,19): error CS0019: Operator `==' cannot be applied to operands of type `ManagedSteam.SteamTypes.
    GameID' and `ManagedSteam.SteamTypes.AppID'"

Thanks!

-Eric