Search Unity

Steam un-launches Paranautical Activity (dev threatens to kill Gabe)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LaneFox, Oct 21, 2014.

1. MrBrainMelter

MrBrainMelter

But if I don't wanna listen to any of that stuff I can just ... turn it off. Easy as pie. I can't do that in a store, can I?

2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

World isn't just about you though, is it? Most people on twitter will see it pop up on their feeds.

3. MrBrainMelter

MrBrainMelter

You're right. The world isn't just about me. Other people are also free to turn it off.

4. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

So everyone should stop using twitter and forums as opposed to stamping out terrible behaviour?

5. MrBrainMelter

MrBrainMelter

I don't need to stop using Twitter completely if I want to block out someone in particular. I just don't follow that person ...

6. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

I think it's just nasty to forever condemn someone because of one action... like that's just stupid, y'all are mean. For just a few minutes and some dumb comments the guy doesn't deserve to be in the industry?

7. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Correct. Because there's 100s of other developers I can support who never resort to constant bad behaviour. This was far from being the first time.

Dabeh likes this.
  8. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

For starters nobody's kicking him out of 'the industry' - he could move to other platforms, for example - and secondly, from what I hear it's a lot more than just 'one action.' Reportedly he's been a cock to a lot of people along the way to where he is.

Also, he's doing it to himself. Just look at his blog post where he announces that he's stepping down - and will instead become "an anonymous 1 of 1000 at some S***ty corporation." Good luck getting a job at some 'S***ty corporation' with that attitude...

9. Archania

Archania

It just takes one time to destroy and a life time to build.
    First impression mean anything?

10. MrBrainMelter

MrBrainMelter

Sure. But do realize that (death threat aside), not all people think his behavior is bad.

11. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Why would anyone not think his behaviour is bad?

12. LaneFox

LaneFox

Please post one link where someone clearly says that his behavior is good.

Joviex likes this.
  13. wccrawford

wccrawford

Many people were upset with Valve for rejecting his game's application under Adult Swim as a publisher. They clearly felt Valve was in the wrong there.

14. LaneFox

LaneFox

That has nothing to do with whether or not his behavior is viewed as good or bad, though.

Even their fans publicly complained about their attitude and behavior on the Steam game page. I have yet to see anyone condone their behavior. While some may say that they are 'justified' in feeling a certain way, their behavior is nonetheless wrong.

Joviex likes this.
  15. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Doesn't sound like Valve's fault to me.

And:

16. wccrawford

wccrawford

You're saying "his behavior" like it's 100% the same all the time, and no person on Earth fits that description. Maybe you should narrow it down to exactly what behavior you're talking about, seeing as how you've already shot down 1 of my examples and I'm not going to dredge up more for you to say, "no, I didn't mean that" again.

17. wccrawford

wccrawford

Right. The publisher couldn't guarantee the release because Steam wasn't allowing it, thanks to PA having already been submitted to Greenlight.

18. LaneFox

LaneFox

You miss my point. What you mentioned has nothing to do with how he acts(which is what we're talking about).

Joviex likes this.
  19. MrBrainMelter

MrBrainMelter

From the first Kotaku article:
    The death threat is pretty much bad in any context. But his other comments could be viewed as acceptable. Not "good". But not bad.

20. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Well, let's take a peek at his previous behaviour then: http://codeavarice.com/post/100592709238/mike-is-leaving-code-avarice

Interesting comments.

Still, looks like he's not the only one being a hater judging by the remaining partner at the company: https://twitter.com/Vallisca3x3x3/status/524385518583545857

I don't think there's any room for this hatred and bile in the game industry, period. Game industry is about being professional, delivering the best product and the best service you possibly can - with a smile as well.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
    Joviex likes this.
  21. superpig

superpig

One user comment, in a thread of over a thousand, which other users then immediately disagree with?

They could be viewed as the lyrics of an unreleased Freddie Mercury single, but that wouldn't make them so.

Are you saying that you find his other comments acceptable? If not, who do you think views them as acceptable?

22. MrBrainMelter

MrBrainMelter

That's exactly what he asked for ... one comment. So I supplied it.

No, the person who I quoted found them acceptable (or "okay-ish", in her words).

23. LaneFox

LaneFox

Yup, there is it. Someone says his first tweet was "okay-ish".

24. MrBrainMelter

MrBrainMelter

Yup. First few tweets before the death threat.

25. LaneFox

LaneFox

I honestly didn't think you would literally go dig up a link, it was more of a "hah, as if someone approves how he acts, lol!"

26. superpig

superpig

Well, this was you backing up your claim that 'not all people think his behaviour is bad." I agree that you've shown an example of someone who is at least unsure that that it's bad.

I'm afraid you're going to have to spell out the next bit for me: what conclusion do you want me to draw from the fact that 0.1% of people (assuming that the Kotaku comments section is representative, which it probably isn't, but oh well) think that publicly ranting on Twitter about one's business partner is "okay-ish"?

27. MrBrainMelter

MrBrainMelter

I don't know. Ask LaneFox. He's the one who asked me the question ...

28. superpig

superpig

He was asking you to back up your claim here:
    LaneFox's request was inane because it doesn't actually tell us anything useful about your claim, but I'm willing to say for the sake of argument that you're right: not all people do think his behaviour is bad. I'm asking: so what?

29. LaneFox

LaneFox

Well thanks, I'll use rhetorical sarcasm less in the future.

BeefSupreme and superpig like this.
  30. reentrant

reentrant

I think he was stressed out. Whining and bitching on social media is already a full-time job for him, developing a game was starting to get in his way.

31. MrBrainMelter

MrBrainMelter

Yes. I'm persistent ;)

32. tiggus

tiggus

I don't think he even deserves this much attention, he seems to be some sort of immature child who thinks he doesn't have to play by the rules(being professional and polite ). It might be one thing if he was some sort of genius but for the rest of us that's what we call a "career limiting move".

Joviex, tango209 and hippocoder like this.
  33. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

I can't look past a death threat. The moment I see a death threat, the person spewing it has zero credibility. It is impossible to evaluate any other comments from a person once they cross that line.

alt.tszyu and hippocoder like this.
  34. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

Seems like a bit of overreaction and drama with some Internet morons fanning the fire as usual (taking screenshots of the guy's tweet and reposting it long after he actually removed it and of course posting their own articles about it). The guy tried, learned he was not cut out for the role he had and stepped down & completely out of the company. Seems like he did the right thing to me. Not sure what else he can do.

35. MrBrainMelter

MrBrainMelter

Fair enough. It's obviously not an easy thing to overlook. But you should ask yourself, if he did NOT make the threat, should the developer receive all the flak that he is now for his other behavior? We probably wouldn't have even heard about his tweets ...

36. alt.tszyu

alt.tszyu

I believe this applies. At least the "they will remember everything you ever say" part.
    gabe.png

37. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

Absolutely. It's just unfortunate that some people out there get so excited about stirring up $#! 7

38. alt.tszyu

alt.tszyu

Unfortunately, that is the culture of the internet.

39. Zaladur

Zaladur

People need to learn that ranting on twitter is the equivalent of shouting to the entire world, not screaming into a pillow. If your behavior would be considered unacceptable in public, its probably unacceptable online. The first few tweets ARE unacceptable (even before the death threats) from anyone pretending to be the least bit professional. Rant privately to a friend if you need to, then grow up and address the situation in a professional manner.

The non-apology is terrible too. I almost feel bad for him that internet footprints last forever.

Nanako, tango209 and hippocoder like this.
  40. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

If your a nobody, you can do or say or whatever you want and no will care. I guess thats the problem with success.

Nanako likes this.
  41. schmosef

schmosef

This is an interesting story. Thanks for posting.

I feel bad for Maulbeck's partners/investors.

We all know how much time and effort goes into making a finished/polished game.

Hopefully, Valve relists their game after a suitable cooling off period.

Nanako likes this.
  42. Nanako

Nanako

What's with the butthurt attitude from everyone over this?

Do "real" death threats even exist? If you're going to kill someone, you plan it out, have an alibi, and execute it quietly. No criminal with half a mind is going to announce their plan beforehand.

People literally say "i'm going to kill X" all the time in real life. I swear i hear it 10x a day from various disgruntled people. It's always a joke. ALWAYS.

Games are supposed to be fun. If we wanted to walk on eggshells and be politically correct about every little word, we'd go into politics. We do not need more political correctness and fragile egos clouding up this industry.

43. MrBrainMelter

MrBrainMelter

The threat was probably not actually serious. Unfortunately, death is a rather serious thing when it actually happens. From the writing in his posts, we don't know for certain he wasn't serious, so erring on the safe side makes sense in this case.

44. Nanako

Nanako

we do know for certain he wasn't serious. he's a person with a habit of venting on twitter, he admits that much. There's no evidence to suggest the threat was credible in any way.

I have friends who tell me they're going to murder gabe whenever steam is offline for a few minutes. it's just catharsis. He's a figurehead to rage at, nobody would really hurt him. he's like a big jolly santa claus.

45. MrBrainMelter

MrBrainMelter

Like I said, you're probably right. But there's always the chance he might just "snap" and make due on it.

46. Hikiko66

Hikiko66

I'm sure they didn't take this particular threat seriously, and I'm sure they didn't go to the police.

He thought he could get away with publically slapping steam, and that they wouldn't fight back. Let that be a lesson to the foolish. Don't pick fights you can't win, and don't pick fights with those who have nothing to lose, when you have everything to lose.