Search Unity

Steam Overlay causes crash on OSX standalone

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by cordinc, Oct 27, 2015.

1. cordinc

cordinc

Hi,

I'm working towards getting my game, Concealed Intent, into Steam Early Access and am having issues with OSX builds on some Macs (windows builds seem to work fine).

Basically, on some macs, sometimes the game will crash soon after starting with an "Unhandled NULL" error in the logs. I have managed to track this down to the Steam Overlay. If I turn off the overlay, it works fine, turn it on and around a third of the time it crashes. Use of a steam library (like Steamworks.net) does not make any difference - I have tried with & without.

Looking this up online, I see quite a few games with similar issues, but no fixes except asking players or Steam to turn off the Overlay.

Does anyone know a way to get around this? Why does the Overlay crash OSX builds only sometimes, on some machines?

Thanks, Charles.

2. Coredumping

Coredumping

I'm having the same issue of the game randomly hanging after launch, never connected it with the Steam overlay, though. I can confirm that disabling the Steam overlay fixes the crashing. I would guess there is some deadlocking going on, the log seems to cut out right after setting up worker threads every time it crashes.