Search Unity

State of UNET

Discussion in 'UNet' started by gam3r, Feb 17, 2016.

1. gam3r

gam3r

Hello Unity Devs,

We are planning on picking Unity5 for next multiplayer title. I wanted to know the current state of UNET in general any major issues to be aware of?

Finally Unity Roadmap says :

Networking Server Library

Update: Delayed for improvements based on feedback

Can someone elaborate what that feature is all about?

Thank you :)

Deleted User likes this.
  2. Whippets

Whippets

Ditto - Dedicated server library for LLAPI and HLAPI, including movement prediction, interpolation, and other latency smoothing methods.

We need these things asap :)

@seanr @Erik Juhl @JeremyUnity @larus

LostPanda and chiapet1021 like this.
  3. Ashkan_gc

Ashkan_gc

Well it depends on what features you need to use. Many of the features are working well and some features not, they are kinda active fixing bugs, The guys tagged above specially were active in forum and resolving issues. Specially @seanr but it is not the case anymore, maybe he moved to another role or company. I don't know and am not a fan of guess work.

I had issues with SyncLists which they say is fixed and neve used syncEvents but other normal features work without match maker well. Did not test match maker that much. I am using my own character movement synching code and not the NetworkTransform which people complaign about.

4. SuperNeon

SuperNeon

It look like Sean moved to magic leap in regard of linkedin.

chrismarch likes this.
  5. chiapet1021

chiapet1021

Well that might help explain the loss of momentum on UNet development and communication. Hopefully, things improve again soon. I thought Sean did very well in keeping the community in the loop.

6. Whippets

Whippets

Yep, we certainly need a couple of Unity guys being advocates for uNet, pushing it forward, and keeping the community in the loop. Overall, uNet is pretty good - but it needs to move on and become the professional tool for Unity that we want it to be.

chrismarch likes this.
  7. Erik-Juhl

Erik-Juhl

Unity Technologies

The server library is the solution for developers who had their own custom game server that they wanted to be able to communicate with Unity clients using UNet. We delayed this feature in order to fix more bugs in the short term and work on making usability better in the medium term.

We've got some changes coming for spawning based on some great feedback from Joachim that will make it more "Unity-like". Custom spawn handlers work right now, but we think this new way will be better. We have a new networked controller in progress that will provide dead reckoning and and simple interpolation for better synchronization of physics. And we want to do something to make Steam integration nicer.

Basically the plan is to make Phase 1 better before diving into Phase 2. The Server Library is sort of a Phase 1.5 which some of our users really need until Phase 2 is ready. So we will want to get that out as soon as possible but we are putting bug fixes and usability for Phase 1 ahead of that.

Deleted User, gam3r, mischa2k and 5 others like this.
  8. daeuk

daeuk

is dead reckoning included on phase 1.5? is there a target date?

9. Erik-Juhl

Erik-Juhl

Unity Technologies

Well, technically we consider it part of Phase 1 as we have a NetworkTransform but this is going to be better. I cant give a target date. We prefer to first integrate this with a few game teams to get feedback from real world usage, improve the feature, then release it to the rest of our users. If anyone has a game in pre-production that would like to experiment with this new networked controller please send me a PM and let's see if we can make some sort of collaboration happen.

10. Whippets

Whippets

Thanks for the info Erik :)

Dead reckoning is good for fast, slower changing things; some prediction and interpolation for slower or quick changing things would also be very cool.

11. chiapet1021

chiapet1021

Thanks for the update, @Erik Juhl! And a +1 from me on prediction and interpolation as well. Hope to see that in the nearish future. :)

12. Twitwi

Twitwi

I think this is relevant
    (source: Democratizing Multiplayer Development - Unite Europe 2015
    )

moco2k and Deleted User like this.
  13. pKallv

pKallv

And when will you publicise T&C's for the multiplayer services, it is kind of important to know when creating something as it is key function?

ian_facepunch and l3fty like this.
  14. gam3r

gam3r

Thank you for responding Erik much appreciated. Can you provide some rough estimates for Phase 1 completion? as it helps us determine whether to pick UNET or third party solution.

pKallv likes this.
  15. Erik-Juhl

Erik-Juhl

Unity Technologies

We are planning to make this information available very soon.

moco2k likes this.
  16. moco2k

moco2k

I guess this would not be good news for the community. Sean was very helpful and provided highly competent and spot-on technical answers, always straight to the point. Not to mention the many example projects. This would prove my feeling that official UNITY dev support in the network forum has decreased a bit in the last time. Anyway, it is nice to see all the things currently being worked on and improved, like documentation and such.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
  17. Ashkan_gc

Ashkan_gc

We did not lose him entirely however, He is here as notseanr :) He is not as active as before naturally but he is around and as I see, Erik, Larus and others are trying to replace him. Others like Josh Peterson from scripting and VM team are very active as well in regard to problems related to uNet and IL2CPP and such matters.

And they are fixing all reported bugs it seems, they either reproduced or fixed all of what I have reported in last weeks. it was more than 4 cases.

18. GD-Darren

GD-Darren

So the release in March is not for Phase 2 ? (Simulation Servers mostly is what I need). Thanks in advance.

19. Ashkan_gc

Ashkan_gc