Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug Starting into black "Recent" screen

Discussion in 'Linux' started by aaryan_k, Feb 5, 2016.

1. aaryan_k

aaryan_k

When I'm starting up the editor, it's just getting stuck on a black "recent" window that I cannot do anything with. If I try to close the window, it just closes the unity screen. I've tried waiting, I've tried restarting the editor, and nothing seems to be making it work.

Attached Files:

2. LukaKotar

LukaKotar

Run mkrdr -p ~/.local/share/unity3d/Packages

You may have to install npm as well (sudo apt-get install npm).

GarthSmith and Eraph like this.
  3. aaryan_k

aaryan_k

Thanks, but I found the same bug in another thread which had the same solution. It works now :)

4. JohannesGThorsteins

JohannesGThorsteins

5. twirlimp

twirlimp

Can confirm that all I needed was to mkdir Packages

GarthSmith likes this.
  6. ruberboy

ruberboy

Hi all. I made the changes and created the directories, but no luck. My linux is default Ubuntu 14.04 LTS.(desktop 64 bits).

When I launch the app in admin mode with sudo, the system completely logs out.

When I use the icon from the default installation, unity says it cant copy the files to ~/.local/share/unity3d/Packages directory and then keeps the black/gray empty window and I have to close the app.

I've got NodeJS and NPM from the default installation of ubuntu, but I would like to know if this could be a permission problem in order not to change too much the clean installation of ubuntu.

I tested Glmark2 and could see all the test correctly so legacy opengl works well.

Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
  7. Tak

Tak

If you've launched once using sudo, some files and/or directories may have been created with the wrong ownership.
    Your best bet is to remove ~/.local/share/unity3d , ~/.cache/unity3d , and carefully clean editor-related stuff from ~/.config/unity3d without losing stored preferences from your installed Unity games.

As of the 20160208 build, the npm package directory should be getting created the first time it's needed - if it's still not, you may be triggering some code path I wasn't able to locate during my testing.

Philip-Rowlands likes this.
  8. ruberboy

ruberboy

Thanks. I did all those steps and I get the same. I should say the only thing I have installed on this system is flash and mesa-utils. So its clean and no unity games installed on it (yet).

One thing I mentioned is that Im new to unity. Im no programmer (I was in the past) but I wanted to test the linux version so I could test my assets on it. (Im trying to create content on linux for the asset store (3d art))

Should I test some test file or something? May be I should have and I forgot. I though I could run the editor and create from there putting the content and doing a run test.

PD. Sorry for my english.(non native speaker here)

I will wait and see if I can help to fix the issue... as It looks Im the only one having it :D cheers.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
  9. ruberboy

ruberboy

I repost to post the solution... all this after instalation using ubuntu software center.

I was using the file manager that ubuntu uses and saw that unity3d folder on the ~/.local one was protected and created by root. I deleted as root on console, then on the filemanager visually copied the contents of opt/unity/packages/whatever and made the folder again using the file manager (me(literal) and group:(my default ubuntu username) as my user group). That made the trick. Dont forget to press control+H because this is the only way to change permissions of the occult files on the visual ubuntu filemanager.

It looks like there is some mistake with the permissions, may be software center is not perfect from clean install. The problem was permissions on the folder unity3d from ~/.local/share were wrong and even copying everything by hand as root didnt work and unity would not launch. Doing it from the filemanager fix everything, why? I dont know, still learning ubuntu and linux.

Anyway, its solved now, and works well.

Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
  10. igwan

igwan

I had the same issue with unity 5.3.2f1 but the missing directory was in ~/.data.

mkdir -p ~/.data/unity3d/Unity​

11. Tak

Tak

igwan: do you have special settings for your XDG_ environment variables?

12. InverseRain

InverseRain

I had this problem as well. I discovered in the editor log file that it was looking for a file called node in /usr/bin. Nodejs, when I'd installed it, created itself as nodejs, not node. Creating a symbolic link to nodejs called node appears to have fixed the problem. :)

13. ishanatmuz

ishanatmuz

I can confirm that I had to make ~/.local/share/unity3d/Packages and also ~/.data/unity3d/Unity

GarthSmith likes this.
  14. ditsikts

ditsikts

Also I had same problem and "mkdir -p ~/.local/share/unity3d/Packages" fix it.
    Ubuntu 16.04

BadBBilly and GarthSmith like this.
  15. cm33

cm33

I had a similar issue which was, it turns out, caused by an uncompleted installation due to unsatisfied dependencies (Ubuntu 14.04). After apt-get installing the dependencies, reinstalling the deb did the trick for me.

16. igwan

igwan

My XDG_ variables are the defaults :

$ eval echo \$XDG_{CACHE,CONFIG,DATA}_HOME
    /home/igwan/.cache/ /home/igwan/.config/ /home/igwan/.data/
    But I now realize its redundant to set them to their default values: http://superuser.com/a/425712

17. Eraph

Eraph

Fixed it for BunsenLabs RC2.

GarthSmith likes this.
  18. rabano1

rabano1

the first ( creating the folders) worked for me!, thank you

GarthSmith likes this.
  19. bralmu

bralmu

$ mkdir -p ~/.local/share/unity3d/Packages

Worked like a charm (Linux Mint 17.3)

GarthSmith likes this.
  20. Kezarious

Kezarious

I've tried the solution suggested above:

$ mkdir -p ~/.local/share/unity3d/Packages

But it doesn't fix it for me, still getting the errors on load about Unity failing to copy files over. Going to try to reinstall the .deb

my version of NPM is current as far as I can tell.

After checking over the dependencies, ones which had a required version number added, I found that in the Synaptic package manager that 'debconf' ver. 1.5.51ubuntu2 is installed, but debconf-2.0 isn't found for me, so not sure if that's also part of the problem.

My friend also running Linux Mint 17.3 has managed to boot up Unity fully, after creating the Packages directory, but that didn't work for me.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
  21. MarkFowler

MarkFowler

If the above doesn't work for you, try and change the file ownership of your unity3d folder in /.local/share with sudo chown -R <username> unity3d

From there you can right click the folder and mess with the permissions more.

22. timmerov1

timmerov1

had this problem on centos7.
    could get past the recent screen with -projectPath pyro-dinos on the command line.
    but then got to a black login screen.
    meh.

in this file: ~/.config/unity32/Editor.log
    was this suspicious line:

Error: execv(npm): No such file or directory

which suggests:

# yum install nodejs npm

which worked duckies for me.
    g'luck.

23. Kezarious

Kezarious

That worked! Thanks a lot man. For some reason the ownership was set to root when it installed, I guess that prevented everything from loading properly

MarkFowler likes this.
  24. BadBBilly

BadBBilly

Same issue with my install running on Ubuntu 15.10. The above mkdir command fixed it quickly.
    cheers

25. tuanduc985

tuanduc985

I also encountered a similar situation, but not overcome.

26. biohazardt

biohazardt

try this
    rm -rf /tmp/*
    and start editor.

27. sathirei

sathirei

The following fixed the launch issue for me. I had to give ownership to unity3d user for "Packages" and "Unity" folder after creation.

~/.local/share/unity3d$
    sudo mkdir Packages
    sudo chown -R <user>:<group> ./Packages/
    ~/.local/share/unity3d$
    sudo mkdir Unity
    sudo chown -R <user>:<group> ./Unity/

<user> -- The user with which you are running the unity3d editor.
    <group> -- The group to which the above user belongs.

28. knobby67

knobby67

What's the group?

29. Bollit

Bollit

Hi!

The default behaviour is a group with the same name as the username.

Use command in a terminal:

$ groups
    * default groups; say for user1235, on fresh install:
    user1234 adm cdrom sudo dip plugdev lpadmin sambashare ...

or

$ ls ~/.local/share/unity3d -l
    * the third field in the ls -l output is the user and the fourth is the group:
    drwxr-xr-x 2 user group 4096 dec 1 12:27 Unity

knobby67 likes this.
  30. J-Roberto

J-Roberto

Hi!, I was have that same problem, how i have unity in windows, in the folder
    %appdata% (in windows), there is a folder with name "Unity", you will find the folder "Packages", copy the contents to ~/.local/share/unity3d/Packages, replace the only file that is "package.json" and DONE,( If not have windows, I will leave this files for paste in mkrdr ~/.local/share/unity3d/Packages:
    https://mega.nz/#!iBUB3DrK!lE9EOzT4bPQ1mXof1cQ1qdbBp_tOHpUQ5A-Eq-em_Ls ) I don't know because this does not work: mkdir -p ~/.local/share/unity3d/Packages, I Hope it works for you :)

31. LevonRavel

LevonRavel

knobby67 likes this.