Search Unity

StarFighter 22 Teaser

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by alexju, Mar 23, 2011.

1. alexju

alexju

Hi everybody!

Like some of you know I've been working on a game for my bachelors test. It's a space shooter with Augmented Reality controls. The game is nearing beta stage, there are just a few things I need to add.

Here's a teaser hehe:

The last gameplay vid is here (the footage in the trailer is newer, but only the details are different :p):

I'm currently very busy with some other projects so you probably won't see any progress for at least a month. I'll see how things turn out.

Now some questions:
    What do you like to see in this game and what would you change. I know you can't play it, but most of the features are in the video ;)

EDIT: Added beta ^^

Hi again everybody

Ok, beta version is up. Before you play the actual game, please read the tutorial: http://alexju.be/archive/sf/tutorial/. And the game and the site are designed to be viewed on a FullHD Screen (1920 x 1080px or 1920 x 1200px) or higher, sorry guys about that, but the game is still playable in 1280px-wide monitors.

If you play the game with webcam, play in good lighting conditions, you can also tweak threshold a little if you want to. Keyboard controls are now ZQSD + AE + Space for accelerating en ctrl for missiles. Later I will add a menu to bind custom keys. (I hear Mac has some problems detecting Z-key...)

Please consider filling in this form, that way I can make the game better :D

Game is here (site is not entirely ready): http://alexju.be/archive/sf/ (Click on "play" or "tutorial", other pages are 404's :D)

Remember, this is my first game in Unity3D (actually, first 3D game ever :D), but I still want your honest opinion on it!

PS: Anyone has an idea how to host Unity file on other free host (like dropbox?) and embed it into my site? I only have 15Gig bandwidth on my server and the game is +-16Mb big... :D

Greetings,

Ioulian Alexeev

Last edited: Apr 2, 2011
  2. greensquidsolutions

greensquidsolutions

Hi,

That looks very awesome and pretty at the same time, and I love your first video! :)

Few questions:

Do you have to use webcam controls?
    If so, doesn't that make your arm hurt after a while?

Do you have or are you planning to have multi-player in there?
    I assume you have some sort of story/objective, but is there more than just shooting stuff. Any chance to r&d, mining etc?

Good luck with your project(s) :)

Dan.

3. Gundark

Gundark

Very, very nice. What would i like to see? For now, only cockpit view cross my mind.

4. Blacklight

Blacklight

Cool, loved the trailer.

Is that the Hyperblaster sound effect from Quake 4?

5. alexju

alexju

As this game is for showing off the augmented reality controls, it hasn't any story behind it and it's "just shooting stuff" :p
    The webcam controls are very limited, you can only control the speed and direction, so the game can't be very complex.
    It does hurt your arm after a while, but you can place the marker everywhere, on your head for example lol :D BTW: you can switch to keyboard controls ;)

I have thought about multiplayer, this would be very awesome, but I really don't know where to start. If anybody has a good tut, this would be nice.

Cockpit view can be added :) and yes, this is the hyperblaster effect lol , but it's already changed ;)

Thx for the comments!

6. alexju

alexju

Beta added, check the original post! :D

7. tramal

tramal

nice work!

i also like the suns - how did u achieve the look?
    i'm just taking a look at unity atm, and can't create a sun nearly like that.. is this "just" a big halo and a flare? any special shaders?

u got a tip or a link to a tutorial maybe? :)

thx

8. alexju

alexju

Well, there's no really a secret there. In the attachment you'll see top-image of the skybox and the lens-flare I use. No custom shaders, it's just the default flare shader :D

Attached Files:

• $top.jpg
      $top.jpg
      File size:
      125.8 KB
      Views:
  9. tramal

tramal

ah ok - the halo comes from the skybox... i thought the suns would be objects...
    and the standard flares in my unity-3 look quite different :)

thx for the info!

10. Lime_x

Lime_x

Nice game, I think I'll try it out.
    But I've been searching in unity and I can't find the flare that's only "expanding" light on the horizontal way. I've only found the "cross-flares"(those who look like cross) and the sun flare and the 50mmZoom. How did you do the flare that's to the right of the sun in that image?