Search Unity

Standard shader crashes SM 2.0 gfx hardware

Discussion in 'Shaders' started by sirrus, Jun 26, 2015.

1. sirrus

sirrus

My understanding is that the new Standard Shader in Unity 5.x is supposed to be SM2.0 compatible. However, we have players on SM2.0 hardware who simply cannot render any materials built using the Standard shader. In fact, if the Standard shader is included in our webplayer project, many players (even those on not-so-old hardware) receive Fatal Content Errors.

If I modify the Standard shader to use pragma target 2.0 (as opposed to 3.0), everything works fine. Is this expected behavior?

This becomes a problem for our project because we have converted as much as we can to use the built-in Unity Standard shader (per Unity's best practice suggestions).

Thanks.

2. sirrus

sirrus

Not that Ive heard a peep from anyone here but we have had to duplicate the Standard shader and remove the pragma target directive altogether. FWIW, this is the only way to prevent fatal content errors (crashes) for those players affected.

3. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Do you have details on which GPUs, OSes etc. crash?

4. sirrus

sirrus

Aras,

My apologies for the late response (got some much needed time away).

Many of the crashes were from players using these GPUs (yes I know, some are ancient):

Intel(R) G33/G31 Express Chipset Family
    Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator 3150
    ATI RADEON XPRESS 200M Series
    ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 620

The OSes are all Windows, mostly 7 64-bit but some 32-bit and even some XP.

Removal of the pragma directive seemed to clear the issue for these players. Any thoughts?

Thanks!