Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Sprite Packer Atlas duplicated in all bundles that use the sprites

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by KJoanette, May 28, 2015.

1. KJoanette

KJoanette

If you add sprites that are tagged in an atlas to an assetbundle, in addition to the source art being included in the bundle, it seems the atlas texture itself will be included in any other assetbundle that references those sprites. This appears to be a known issue, but has not yet been addressed in a weekly patch.

I had brought this up in the Live tutorial for asset bundles and Mike had mentioned it might be fixed. Has anyone else been having this issue? It won't duplicate the atlas in memory when the bundles are loaded as far as I can tell, but it still means that currently I have about 50 of the same atlas in my bundles (each of which is roughly 8mb uncompressed)

2. mdrotar

mdrotar

If it's not fixed in the latest patch release that came out today, I'd submit a bug for it.

3. Deleted User

Deleted User

It hasn't been fixed, but we already have a bug for it.

4. KJoanette

KJoanette

When is it going to be fixed? This seems like a pretty big bug in the system.

5. Deleted User

Deleted User

Which version of Unity are you using? We fixed it for 5.2, not in the patch-release for the early versions.

6. KJoanette

KJoanette

5.1.0f3

7. Deleted User

Deleted User

Ok, will try to get it into 5.1 patch release. Will let you know when it's ready.

8. KJoanette

KJoanette

That would be great. Thanks!

9. Ludidilu

Ludidilu

This problem is still existing in version 5.2.2

10. Ludidilu

Ludidilu

This problem is still existing in version 5.2.2

11. SierraChica

SierraChica

I have this problem in version 5.2.3f1

12. Deleted User

Deleted User

This issue should been fixed in 5.2.2p4 & 5.3.0b6. If you still have the problem, it might be caused by different reasons. Could you please open a bug for it?

13. TheJimz

TheJimz

This problem still occurs years later.

Legacy sprite atlas: A built-in sprite atlas will be duplicated into every bundle unless explicitly included into one asset bundle common to the bundles being built.

2017.1 sprite atlas: A sprite atlas will be duplicated into every asset bundle that has a dependency on it, regardless of built-in or found in an asset bundle.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
  14. KJoanette

KJoanette

So it sounds like it was fixed for Legacy? If things aren’t in a bundle duplicating then is correct. If they’re in a bundle and this still occurs that’s bad.

15. TheJimz

TheJimz

I think it's more that they broke it with the new atlas system. The old one is still broken too, a built-in atlas shouldn't appear in any bundles. Forcing it into a single bundle to prevent duplication in others is a 'hack' I've found to work. In my current project I actually delete the 'forced include' bundle after building bundles to prevent any duplication at all. (It still finds the texture built-in)