Search Unity

Sprite Maker - Convert 3D to 2D

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by DevionGames, Mar 4, 2014.

1. DevionGames

DevionGames

This tool has been deprecated.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  2. sefou

sefou

Cool. In my future buy list. ;)

3. p6r

p6r

No video or tutorial ???
    For free version ? Does it need the Sprite packer from the pro version for different animations on one sheet ?
    I would like to SEE more about this...

6R

4. DevionGames

DevionGames

I have a video without sound that i recorded for earlier version, a new one will come with how to capture.
    It does not require the unity pro Sprite Packer, but i am going to test it on unity free today, to be realy sure that i have not used any unity pro feature. If you want i can give you a link to try it out, before purchase.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2015
  5. p6r

p6r

Very nice !
    PM sent...
    6R

6. DevionGames

DevionGames

I sended you the link, please let me know what you think about it. Thank you for testing.

7. p6r

p6r

(Other PM sent ! I didn't see you replied here too !)

GREAT !!! It seems to work fine under Unity free.
    We need a tutorial for the temp controller and mecanim animation following your .pdf file !?! But I could make my animation sheet without any issue without the temp controller !?! Is it normal ???

I will try with other characters and shaders... and I'll come back...

Thanks to allow me to be a beta-tester because it's very nice to convert files.

6R

8. p6r

p6r

I just have tested with the free Minimini town characters with normal shader and a toon shader and it worked fine too... :)
    I like it because we can now make sprites from some nice and unique models from the asset store and because it's so easy to do !!!
    Great job !

6R

9. DevionGames

DevionGames

Great that this worked, the temp controller is just if you have an Animator component on your prefab and if you use Automatic Framerate(gives better results in the animation loop). if you use legacy animation you do not need it at all.

10. DevionGames

DevionGames

Here is a simple tutorial with also some problems that you could face and how to fix them:

11. casperjeff

casperjeff

Very cool....
    I posted about my version of an almost identical asset a couple of weeks ago (almost ready for Beta)....(http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/23...D-Model-Animation-to-2D-Spritesheet-Converter)

They are so similar it's almost scary!
    :)

I'll bet we use a nearly identical technique (I saw flashes of black/white backgrounds in your vid - so I assume you are calculating the alpha that way just like me)....

I'm guessing I'll finish up my version and get it published anyway....but nice to see the work validated.

Kudos again.

12. DevionGames

DevionGames

Yes, but this was not realy my idea with a back and white camera,i got this idea from one of the unity threads. I am sure if you can fix the pivot probem, people will buy yours. I could not find a full automatic solution at the moment.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  13. casperjeff

casperjeff

Zerano,

Just bought your asset - amazing how similar yours is to mine (although there are only SO MANY ways you can capture the images).
    You've got a tighter integration with the unity 2d sprite elements - but mine had a slightly better UI and a different cropping technique (each resulting capture was same dimensions). I thought your pivot calculation stuff was pretty good, myself

I think I will stop work on mine and let yours reign supreme on the Asset store.
    I would suggest that you add a 'delay' option (especially when not recording animation) so that if user is recording a particle effect, that the particle engine has time to 'get up to full power' before recording (although they could always strip out the frames they didn't want).

Kudos again and I'll link to yours from my thread.

14. DevionGames

DevionGames

I have not worked a lot with sprites before, why is it better to get the same dimensions of the sprites? It is realy not much more work of implementing this, i just cut out transparency to save space, but if it is better to have same dimensions, when working with sprites i can implement it.

15. Deleted User

Deleted User

It's definitely better to have uniform sprite image dimensions, otherwise its easy to misalign them when placing them into the final spritesheet. I'll be buying your asset once I get these models to properly perform their animations.

16. Deleted User

Deleted User

I went ahead and bought this. It does work great, but yeah, the one thing that would really improve it is the option to have uniform sprite dimensions, otherwise this will add a bunch of manual work for myself, and future users of this fine product. Great job, I've been looking for something like this for a long time, so I'm happy!

17. DevionGames

DevionGames

Added uniform dimensions, currently optimizing it a little bit and will submit it to the asset store.

18. DevionGames

DevionGames

Submitted to the asset store with a new small feature:

19. p6r

p6r

At last news from you for this great plugin...
    Thanks !
    6R

20. DevionGames

DevionGames

Well it could take some time until unity accept it, i am already waiting over a week for my other 2 assets and they are still pending review.

21. Deleted User

Deleted User

Awesome! Thanks for the hard work and for implementing this feature!

22. DevionGames

DevionGames

Pretty cool news, i have worked on a 2d prototype and found out that calculating the center of mass of the sprite for the pivot gives much better results in the animation. So this will be coming in the next update.

23. DevionGames

DevionGames

Coming Soon:

24. p6r

p6r

WOW ! Fantastic improvement !!!
    These new features are perfect.
    Can't wait to test it...
    Thanks,
    6R

25. DevionGames

DevionGames

I submitted it already to the asset store. :D

26. DevionGames

DevionGames

Finaly the update was accepted.

27. p6r

p6r

It works perfectly !
    The new options like the Center of Mass and so on are wonderful.

With a good Toon Shader we can have now a nice 2D character from a 3D character, from the asset store for example. So, the same character can be used for 3D AND 2D games. And all of this within Unity ! Fantastic !!!

6R

28. thedreamer

thedreamer

@p6r

Can you recommend me a good toon Shader?

29. p6r

p6r

Good for me is it good for you !?! :)

You can use the free Toony Colors Shaders -> Toony Gooch RimOutline :
    Change the parameters -> Rim Power to 10 for example and modify the colors (shadow and so on !) ! Use the Toon Ramp 3 !
    Don't forget to add a directional light in your project (0.8 intensity)

Or the Toony Colors Pro Shaders (not free) with a lot of parameters to test... (Here I use my own toon ramps !)

6R

30. thedreamer

thedreamer

@p6r
    thank you very much!!

31. DevionGames

DevionGames

Sounds good, i have worked on some texture tools, but i can not realy tell you if i am going to finish them or if they will be part of this package at all.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2015
  32. osw1183

osw1183

I'm currently using this tool to export particle FX to 2D, but for some reason anything with a blue coloration comes out in grey scale; things that are red look fine. Any ideas why this would be happening? I haven't changed any of the default settings.

33. DevionGames

DevionGames

I will check it.

34. stevehearn

stevehearn

i am thinking of using unity 3d assets to make 2d sprites for another platform. i need to know if
    1. the individual sprite images are stored as PNG
    2. the packed sprites can be saved as PNG
    then i can use them.

35. schmosef

schmosef

I was just thinking about where I could find a tool to do this and found your asset via a Google search.

Before I found your asset, I was thinking I might want to make this myself.

But for the price you are asking, there's no reason to roll my own.

36. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

This might be just what I need. The Asset Store has a ton of 3d models but a small supply of 2D animated characters (and other stuff) by comparison.

What is the workflow to convert 3d animated models to 2D sprite sheets? Do I need to be familiar with Unity3D and setting up animations and so forth? Or is it simply plug n play like I can select a model, select view, select one of the animations and it just does it?

37. DevionGames

DevionGames

Take a look at the video, it shows how to make sprite sheets. You do not need advanced experience with unity, but you should know how to place a prefab/model to the scene view, how you can position prefabs in front of the camera and how you can edit properties in the inspector.

GarBenjamin likes this.
  38. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

Didn't notice the video before. Thanks. Will check it out tomorrow when I am on the computer. Be cool if it works straightforward. Means I can start buying 3d Models from the Asset Store and solve one of the biggest hurdles in 2D game development.

39. hmmmhmmm

hmmmhmmm

Hello,

I just bought your tool. For some reasons, it looks like an older version. Images are not saved as a spritesheet, Parameters in the inspector are different (no Save Single Texture, no Set Pivot), see screenshot.
    Am I doing something silly?
    I am using Unity 4.6.1 on Win7.

Thanks for your help!

upload_2015-1-17_23-30-10.png

40. DevionGames

DevionGames

Please check out the new update, you can set it now in the inspector. Before this update it was a right click on the texture menu.
    There are now 3 diffrent ways of capturing. If you have unity pro, you can set a resolution for the sprites now. I also made a list for the animattions, so you can capture multiple animations at once.

41. kilik128

kilik128

i have modifie lot before use it don't remember what' i have do excatly but set name on texture sprite and other think's like this

42. DevionGames

DevionGames

Well the sprites are better named now, they are named as animationclip name + number.

43. ma.parizeau

ma.parizeau

Hi Zerano,

Does what it's suppose to do.... and I like it like that ;) And it works great in version 5 of unity.

I modified a bit, I added the possibility of adding my own name for a single sprite or animation and adding a name to the atlas. If you leave the field blank, it will take the default value that is in your code.

I've also added the option, when you want to to do multiple GameObject at a time. All you have to do is to put them in your scene, position them properly (needs to be at 0f on x axis), move them away outside of the camera view (ex. 100f on x axis) and the script will move them into position one by one and take the "picture" of each of them.

I didn't optimize anything but it works great for me for Render Texture and Render Texture Fast. For Screen, It comes out in black and white for whatever reason... but I don't care, I don't use it ;)

Did 35 GameObjects in less then 25 seconds at 1024x1024 with the trim option on.

I also changed the code for the Pro License detection. So that if you have version 5 or higher, then don't show the message and only show it for version 4 and below.

So if you are interested in having it, just tell me and I will send you the code.

44. DevionGames

DevionGames

Yes would be great if you can send it.

45. ma.parizeau

ma.parizeau

Just sent you an email with the scripts attached to it.

46. Infernomaster

Infernomaster

Hi,
    I noticed in earlier versions that U had an option to not select to capture animation.
    Now it is very hard (atleast how I get it working) to capture a 3D object without animator component.
    I have to make an animation and generate an avatar for the object (even if it's e.g. a wall). Am I missing something or did you remove that functionality?

47. LAFI

LAFI

can this tool convert from 2d to 3d??

48. DevionGames

DevionGames

No this is not possible with this tool.

49. FireMutant

FireMutant

Hi Zerano,
    I'm trying to use Sprite Maker to turn a particle effect into a sprite, but it does not seem to be saving the colors, just a white "mask" of the particle on a transparent background when I bake it. The particle appears fine in the Scene, but not when it is baked to the Sprite Packer. I'm sure I am probably doing something incorrectly with the particle setup. Do you have any suggestions why this is happening.

Thanks.

50. Tom_Timothy

Tom_Timothy

This application seems to be completely broken I can not even get it to add a object as target.