Search Unity

Splatoon like game

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Team-Super-Puck, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Team-Super-Puck

Team-Super-Puck

Hello!

As a very big fan of Splatoon, I was thinking a lot about the technic behind the game in the last days. So I decided to build the core mechanics from the game in Unity. The Video below shows the current progress. I don't know yet, if I will make a hole game about this, or some kind of Asset Store content. The technic is very scalable right now, and works with any kind of material. Shaders for the assets in the scene need no special code. It works with all kind of materials out of the box

Have fun, and I'm very interested in any kind of feedback
    Maverick

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
  2. jister

jister

looks neat! so it's all shader based?

3. Team-Super-Puck

Team-Super-Puck

Yeah it is

4. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Wow dude, that's actually impressive, never even thought it to be possible. :)
    And you spelt the thread title "Splatton" just to let you know... :p If it's just a special shader framework, I'd be interested in it purely for experimentation. ;)

5. Team-Super-Puck

Team-Super-Puck

Thanks for the spelling hint ;). I will let you know, if I write a tutorial or release the code. And yes, it's just a special shader framework.

Griffo and Rinzlo like this.
  6. voltage

voltage

Looks really good. Will you differentiate more from the real game?

7. Team-Super-Puck

Team-Super-Puck

Don't know yet. At the moment I just want to play Splatoon with my friends. But they don't have a wii u. And so... Maybe I get some cool ideas to differentiate from the original. I'm open for any suggestions ;)

8. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

I might have to invite a friend of mine over to get some... :D He's got it.

9. voltage

voltage

I can see this going over really well for you on Steam. You could go for a more realistic art style with aliens? Space ships that shoot ink on the battlefield would be sweet. Maybe look at Star Wars for some inspiration?

10. Team-Super-Puck

Team-Super-Puck

I don't think about a specific artstyle yet. But ufos + ink sounds really nice! Because I don't have much time I'm very asset store bounded. Maybe I find a cool Alien. Thank you for the suggestion

11. Team-Super-Puck

Team-Super-Puck

The game is really great! I think you would have a nice day with it

12. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Oh I've played it before... IT'S CRAZY!

13. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

I do have a model of an alien that might suit... ;) I'm willing to license it for free, as atm, I'm not sure what to do with him.

14. Team-Super-Puck

Team-Super-Puck

Thx for the offer. Can you post a picture?

15. macdude2

macdude2

So how exactly have you implemented the paint? Is it basically vertex painting with a special shader blend or something else? I'm frustrated I've never been able to understand how procedural geometry painting games work.

16. Team-Super-Puck

Team-Super-Puck

In the basic Idea its a little bit like lighmapping with render textures. You check the UV from the particle impact and draw a Splat Texture in the Render Texture at this position. The exact implementation is more complex, but it follows this idea.

17. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

Cool that you figured out all the texture-mapping modification stuff, that's not easy. ... funny that it looks like he pukes green puke everywhere.

18. Team-Super-Puck

Team-Super-Puck

Having great success with Multiplayer. Thx for this Unity!

Whiteleaf likes this.
  19. a1991221

a1991221

I am also a "splatoon" of the game fans, and I am also a unity game developers, very much looking forward to you can upload to the assets store!

20. Team-Super-Puck

Team-Super-Puck

Nice to hear, I will let you know, if I release it

21. Team-Super-Puck

Team-Super-Puck

Hello,

here is some footage of the first real multi battle

Next week the first 4 vs 4 test will start!

a1991221 likes this.
  22. a1991221

a1991221

Very good, the next time you can see the state view.

23. a1991221

a1991221

Thank you, looking forward to learning and communication.

24. Team-Super-Puck

Team-Super-Puck

A 2vs2 gameplay video is available:

enjoy it!

25. zenGarden

zenGarden

Nice tech demo.
    I doubt anyone could make a game using this feature, it is not Nintendo copyright mecanism ?

26. Venryx

Venryx

I don't know whether it is or not, but if it is, that is ridiculous. It's a very basic gameplay idea and most certainly should not be copyrightable. A company shouldn't be able to just make a game and 'claim' the whole genre/mechanic (e.g. minecraft claiming voxels, splatoon claiming painting, mario claiming box powerups, etc.).

Mehrdad995 likes this.
  27. zenGarden

zenGarden

I graee this is stupid but their is some copyrights like Crazy Taxi and it's 3D arrow on topof car as radar, or Mass Effect Dialog spining circle if i am not worng.
    What if Doble jump was copyright by Nintendo or Jet Pack gameplay by another company ? We could not make games sa we want ?

28. macdude2

macdude2

Right? That's all people seem to do here. Not with unity in general, but here. Wonder if it's any better on the pro only forums or perhaps online just isn't the right place to find people who innovate…

29. Team-Super-Puck

Team-Super-Puck

I dont just think about it until now. This project is a hobby project first. I have a lot of fun doing it and I'm learning a lot. And so, I will go on with it.
    But I think ideas are not copyrightable. It's just the realization of an idea. There would be no android phone out there, if an idea is copyrightable.

30. Team-Super-Puck

Team-Super-Puck

First of all: I'm really amazed that you create an account for this statement ;) good job!
    Second: I have a fulltime job and work on this project in my sparetime. The main reason I'm doing it is, that I just have fun doing it. The second reason ist, that I want to play Splatoon with my friends, but they dont have a wii u. We had allready a lot of fun with it btw..
    I think it is just a really greate gameplay, and I think also pc gamers should be able to enjoy it. Dont missunerstood me, I'm a really big Nintendo fan, and I would be very happy, if everyone buy a wii u right now ;)
    But I think it is not really realistic that this i happen anytime

And last: I don't like it, that someone calling me a thief. Pls dont forget that I had to build it by myself. I spend a lot of time to do it. And it was not an easy job

31. KelsoMRK

KelsoMRK

Seriously? Someone likes a mechanic from a game and decides to figure out how to implement it (not to mention that I'm sure it's insanely complicated from a technical perspective) and the best feedback you can come up with is that they're creatively bankrupt? And it irked you so much that you created an account just to say that?

Contribute something valuable to the community or cram it and get the hell out.

alexanderameye and LeftyRighty like this.
  32. Venryx

Venryx

I can understand the negativity if he were trying to take advantage of the original game's popularity to make himself a lot of money, but I just don't see that as being his motivation.

Recreating stuff for fun and practical reasons (e.g. to play with friends) makes sense to me and I wouldn't consider it a 'rip off', at least not in a negative sense--more like a not-really-necessary, but interesting, side-project/personal recreation project.

33. zenGarden

zenGarden

They don't need to blame him , anyone copied Minecraft gameplay. I still don't know if there is not some Nintendo copyright ?

34. KelsoMRK

KelsoMRK

It's pretty tough to copyright a game mechanic.

35. zenGarden

zenGarden

What about Crazy Taxi 3D arrow on top of car ? It is still active ?

36. KelsoMRK

KelsoMRK

That's a patent, not a copyright. Patents are for "inventions". Copyrights are for creative works.

zenGarden likes this.
  37. Syntricate

Syntricate

@Team Super Puck

Any chance you'll be releasing this to the asset store soon? I'm developing a game that uses the paint splat mechanic and would love to use your framework.

Send me a PM if you don't want to release to the asset store but are still interested in selling your framework.

38. Team-Super-Puck

Team-Super-Puck

I can't say , when I release the framwork in the asset store. There is still a lot of work to do. But it will definitifly need more than 2 month. Lot of work have to be done, for making all of this more flexible. At the moment the framework only support deffered rendering for example.

Sorry for that.

39. Syntricate

Syntricate

Not a problem. Is there any chance you'd be able to write up a short tutorial between now and then? Something like your other post, but a little more detailed?

Keep up the good work! Looking forward to seeing how your project turns out. :)

40. Paizo

Paizo

googled around and ended up here...well congratz for the nice work!
    I would really appreciate a tutorial/dev blog on that as well :D

Some months are passed since the last post: any update?

41. NeedNap

NeedNap

Great work!!
    Can you share some "painting" tips?
    I need to create a different paint game using a very similar mechanism.

Thank you in advance

42. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@Team Super Puck
    How did this NOT come through my thread notifications...?
    Here's a picture, sorry for the late post:
    Davei.png
    Also noting that the shot above is quite old, I can make a newer one if you like.
    (Also, kudos to @NeedNap for waking the thread so I could see this! :D)

Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
  43. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Another shot. Decided to open the .blend file and relight the scene:
    Davei_2016.png
    This shows up the normal maps better. (The previous shot also lacked a texture I added since then)

EDIT: Just looked at your 2v2 footage... that gives me an idea on what the fish could be replaced with... If my model is used that is. :D

Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
  44. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Neat stuff! Are you still making any progress on this project?

45. pan-xiaohai

pan-xiaohai

Can you tell us about the how to implement it?

Peter77 likes this.
  46. BCU_Euden

BCU_Euden

I've been looking for something like this for a very long time! without knowledge of how to do it myself via shaders I'd be very interested in learning how to do this! please share it! either for free or even an asset store shader, I'd be happy to pay!

47. sngdan

sngdan

I am on mobile and don't have link here but search for a thread by @JoeStrout

He wrote a mini tutorial on how to implement this effect

48. ElectroMantis

ElectroMantis

Mauri, NeedNap and Peter77 like this.
  49. NeedNap

NeedNap

@SecondBake you are welcome!!!
    Thank you for sharing it!

ElectroMantis likes this.
  50. guanlingxingfu

guanlingxingfu

that is very useful,you post in assist store,i'll buy it.