Search Unity

Spherical Terrain Editor

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Casper_Stougaard, Oct 18, 2014.

1. Casper_Stougaard

Casper_Stougaard

For a while now i've been working on creating some sort of program that lets me edit the mesh of a sphere at runtime.

Asset Store Link: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/34316
    Webplayer: https://googledrive.com/host/0B23fF...llCY3Nnd1JCT0d1X3QtcXdxakFqc1BhaEU/Build.html

Very first video:

Update 1:
    I've taken the time to work a little bit more on this package. I've added a tool to place props.

Update 2:

Current features:
    • Raise / Lower terrain
    • Change brush size
    • Change brush strength
    • Save Mesh
    • Place trees, bushes and rocks.
    • Shader for smooth texturing depending on altitude

Todo:
    • Rework the flatten tool
    • Save planets as a prefabs
    • Heightmap support

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
    Kurt-Dekker likes this.
  2. garza

garza

This is cool!
    will it have rocks, soil, grass, and sand?
    and will these have a different physical material associated with ?

3. Casper_Stougaard

Casper_Stougaard

For the moment i'm thinking of just implementing a feature where the user can paint a texture onto the sphere, like sand texture or grass or whatever you choose.

It would be possible to add 3d objects like rocks, or "real" grass etc. :)

4. Jamster

Jamster

Would be useful as an Editor Extension for creating planet maps, then you've got the begginings of a good product for the Asset Store :)

5. Casper_Stougaard

Casper_Stougaard

It's a great idea, but this wasn't really meant for the asset store. Not yet atleast.

I'm just an amature coder, and i haven't really been looking into editor coding yet, but i like the idea :)

6. Deleted User

Deleted User

Thank you for this. You've saved my sanity.

7. Casper_Stougaard

Casper_Stougaard

New update! :)

Added tool to place trees, rocks and bushes.

8. Ronald_McScotland

Ronald_McScotland

This is a really cool idea. One suggestion is being able to import/export greyscale cubemaps for height, the same way you can use a heightmap for a flat terrain.

9. Deleted User

Deleted User

Spherical worlds is Unity greatest weakness. So many assets are attempting to tackle this program. This work works very well for what I'm doing. But I agree, as soon as we can import height maps and apply them to a sphere, I will be the first to loose my mind (well, what's left of it).

10. Casper_Stougaard

Casper_Stougaard

Im sorry, but i have removed the download for this because have made more progress than i thought i would. I am considering to put it on the asset store in the future though.

I will keep updating this thread and i am still open for suggestions on what you think should be included in the final product. :)

11. Deleted User

Deleted User

Keep up the great work and please continue to keep the asset simple. That's what makes this asset so special, is that it's easy to use.

12. Casper_Stougaard

Casper_Stougaard

Thanks for your response and your feedback :)

13. BFips

BFips

Oh man, looking at the video, I think this was what I really needed!

14. Casper_Stougaard

Casper_Stougaard

Hopefully it'l be on the asset store soon. I'm waiting for the asset store team at the moment and have been for almost 2 weeks.

15. Casper_Stougaard

Casper_Stougaard

It has finally been accepted for the asset store. Link is in the first post :)

16. BFips

BFips

Do you have any web player demo so that people can try it? :)

17. Casper_Stougaard

Casper_Stougaard

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
  18. BFips

BFips

You're the boss! Last questions, does it work on any sphere, of any size? And is it possible to export the created model to another project?

19. Casper_Stougaard

Casper_Stougaard

It should work on any sphere though the result may differ.
    There is a method (editor only) to save the mesh of the sphere to a file. I am working on an Update at the moment to make it more clear, but if you hit the "m" key at runtime a window should pop up :)

BFips likes this.
  20. kulesz

kulesz

Is there any progress on this?
    It seems the demo doesn't work anymore.

21. Casper_Stougaard

Casper_Stougaard

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I will try to get this fixed as soon as i am back home.

The progress regarding new features is a bit slow at the moment due to lack of time.

22. Casper_Stougaard

Casper_Stougaard

The demo should be working again :)

23. mross

mross

Hello, first of all it is a great what you've developed, what is the maximum size of the planet ?, planets can be generated randomly? Greetings!

24. Casper_Stougaard

Casper_Stougaard

Hello mross,
    I've developed this package for sizes about the same as the ones in the demo scenes. But there's nothing preventing you from making them bigger or smaller. This might require some tweaks to the values of the modelling tools though.

Althought i haven't tested random generation myself, i'd imagine that it would be fairly simple to have a noise algorithm generate the heights of each vertex.

Hope this helps.

Casper

25. Casper_Stougaard

Casper_Stougaard

Hello. Since some people have been asking me a lot of questions and requesting new features for this package, i just wanted to drop by here to tell you why there has been no development on this for a while, and why you shouldn't expect any in the near future.

A while back, my girlfriend was working night shifts for a period. She had around 30 minutes of driving each way. At that time i was on one of my school periods for my electrician education, and i had around 45 minutes of driving each way. So one morning my alarm woke me up like it normally does, and i did my usual preperations before getting picked up by one of my class mates. It was a friday, so it was a short day, untill 11:40 pm.
    I was looking forward to spending the weekend with her, and my family at a summer house.
    At around 11:25 or so, my boss shows up in my class, telling me to pack my things so we can go home. I'm thinking oh S***, did i do some kind of S*** at work that had hurt somebody or something. He just told me he'd tell me when we got into the car, so i packed up and told my class mates to have a nice weekend.

When we enter his car, i ask him what was up, and he hesitates for a moment. He then tells me that my girlfriend had been killed in a car accident.

After that i don't really remember much from that 40 minute drive to the hospital in my hometown where she was at the time. I just remember entering this room, with her whole family, all crying, coming to give me a hug.

It happened on the 11th of September 2015. 22 days before our 6 year anniversary.

I've submitted a new update for the asset store, making this package free. I wont be making any progress on it for a while, so it's not fair to ask money for it.

I hope you all may live your lives in happiness and enjoy every moment with your loved ones. You never know what will happen tomorrow.

26. playbarbados

playbarbados

Hey...just downloaded your asset and stumbled across this post... I'm really sorry about your girlfriend....