Search Unity

Spectra GI - dead or alive?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by FogGobbler, Oct 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FogGobbler

FogGobbler

Hi guys,
    I was just wondering if this project is still alive, since the WIP thread was closed and no information is given on the website.
    Bye,
    Oli

2. techmage

techmage

WANT

Zeblote likes this.
  3. LIVENDA

LIVENDA

Hi,

SpectraGI is almost ready and we will be making an official release date announcement together with the first batch of technical videos within the next 7-9 days, thank you.

Cheers,
    Livenda

4. FogGobbler

FogGobbler

Hi,
    sounds good, thanks :).
    Best regards,
    Oli

5. Zeblote

Zeblote

just had to google this to find out what it is and now

Edit: after skimming over the whole topic it looks like the 7-9 days mentioned above are actually 7-9 months or never. I still want though

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
    shkar-noori likes this.
  6. macdude2

macdude2

If this actually comes out to be true....:):D Lets see, I made a prediction on September 18th of 6-8 weeks, looks like I'm still in the running!

7. techmage

techmage

In all honesty I want your plugin for machinima and recording videos. Even if it runs 5 fps. I would still buy it.

8. kurylo3d

kurylo3d

You'd be the only one.

derkoi and Zeblote like this.
  9. techmage

techmage

For real though I will pre-pay right now to get the slow alpha version.

10. HappyCoder84

HappyCoder84

The New CEO guy known for being ignorant of games industry,,
    Major engines going public,,
    Tough times for unity.
    Make this a reality!
    I'll come back in two days to see the video,,

11. andmm

andmm

Here we go again :)

Stormbreaker and shkar-noori like this.
  12. kurylo3d

kurylo3d

so.... another release time come and gone?

13. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Broken promises, you should know the unity crowd by now, if there's one thing they don't like, it's being messed about :)

shkar-noori likes this.
  14. HappyCoder84

HappyCoder84

This guy`s got a problem,,
    I`m a little mad at this point.
    Let`s just admit it. We`ve been trolled all this time.

I`ll just focus on Enligthen,, It`s very good for a static small scene.

15. FogGobbler

FogGobbler

Well, guys, you must understand the delay. The rendering of the videos takes so long.. But I ask myself why does it take so long to render a black video? Since they are so concerned about IP protection that is all they would show us anyway.

16. kurylo3d

kurylo3d

17. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Enlighten's fine - just learn to use it correctly :)

18. elbows

elbows

GI is old hat, I am working on my own secret implementation of VI (Vapour Illumination)

19. kurylo3d

kurylo3d

Im actually more interested in the realitime reflections and the area lights that come with that one.

20. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Reflections have nothing to do with enlighten. These are baked cube maps - reflection probes.

21. kurylo3d

kurylo3d

im not talkn about enlighten. Im talkn about the link i just sent u.. the gi method hes using allows for him to also do reflections at teh same time.. realtime ones. not baked.

22. Deleted User

Deleted User

Depends on what you're doing, there is no fit all solution..

shkar-noori likes this.
  23. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Well I don't think its bad for indoor games where it's most likely to benefit the most. Outdoors, I'm not quite sure how it would have much to bounce off of.

24. macdude2

macdude2

Ok, my hypothesis is that they actually were able to finish it, but are waiting for it to upload to the asset store before they publish information about it. So MAYBE Monday. If we don't see anything by Monday, I will agree that we were fooled, until then though, I'm holding out hope!

shkar-noori likes this.
  25. 121

How does Spectra GI run with Win XP DX9 compared to DX10 and 11?

26. elbows

elbows

No chance, since they weren't even promising to release it within that timescale, just to give a release date.

Anyway this entire product is a good example of how not to communicate with people long before launch. Empty promises erode faith.

27. 121

Go easy.

You know it's juicy.

28. Phelan-Simpson

Phelan-Simpson

Livenda,

When are you ever going to give credible release dates. Nothing against your skills as technical experts, as what your team is trying to do is crazy hard. If you just said it will be finished within 5 months or so I would believe you. However, every few days it is coming within the week. Months ago you said you had video of the GI and that they were uploading to youtube overnight. Where did those go? Unless you have a dial-up connection and each video is 100 hours long, I don't see how that is even possible.

I agree with what elbows said.

I really want to see this product come to unity, as I have found enlighten so far (My settings could probably use a tweak or two) to have quite nice lighting, but the fully real-time aspect is just not there.

Cheers and best of luck to you Livenda,

29. techmage

techmage

Would ya'll stop trying to grab developers by the balls and wrangle software out of them.

Seriously going OMG THEY TROLLED US AND LIED isn't going to make them go back and be like "Oh no some guy on the Unity forums doesn't take us seriously EVERYONE WORK HARDER".

Seriously. I mean SERIOUSLY. That is stupid. Literally. Just think about it.

Just offer emotional support. Do you guys need a cake or something sent to your office with an inspirational poem on it? I'll do that.

tatoforever likes this.
  30. Tiny-Man

Tiny-Man

No, its the fact that their product has beem vaporware since the beginning, especially with failures to meet promised deadlines such as this one, further reinforcing the belief that this is vaporware.
    You stupid.
    No i'm not.

31. Stormbreaker

Stormbreaker

The reaction isn't surprising. I followed the thread from the beginning which started in early May, and like many others checked the thread daily for the promised updates. For 5 months, me and lots of others waited and in that time did not see a single screenshot, video, or demo. Absolutely nothing. It got so bad a moderator closed down the thread because it was getting ridiculous. If there was ever a model example of how not to market a product, SpectraGI would be it. I just hope they're able to make up for it by releasing an awesome product.

32. kurylo3d

kurylo3d

In all fairness, the thread closed down cause it went off topic and wasnt going to help the seller anyway at that point. That being said spectra was a day 1 buy for me... now... too many other options. I dont need or want spectra anymore.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
    FogGobbler likes this.
  33. Zeblote

Zeblote

What are those other options? Can't find any

34. kurylo3d

kurylo3d

Well aside from unity 5 preorder beta.. which is awesome by the way.. way better then my expectations.

Here is anotehr im keeping my eye on.. this one includes not just gi but realtime reflections. It will be released in 2 sets.. either 1.) u want the GI alone.. or 2.) you get the one that has everything like the area lights. At least thats whats promised by the author..

Here is his link to the overall pack
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/released-bg-light-engine-with-real-time-gi-area-lights.233919/

And here is his thread that is dedicated to just the GI portion.

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/co...illumination-using-light-propagations.275808/

Stormbreaker likes this.
  35. Mauri

Mauri

I wouldn't count on this BGLight thing either and I'll tell you why:
    First, the Developer false-advertised it (wrote "Realtime GI" in the thread title, but didn't had any of it in it at this time - instead, it was announced for v0.3). Then, he splitted it into a seperate package because it's "valuable enough to be its own package". All this happened long before Livenda announced their GI solution.

To make it simple short: If you don't trust Livenda, you shouldn't trust brilliantgame either. If you need Realtime GI, use Unity5 with it's Enlighten. That's the only useable solution currently available.

36. kurylo3d

kurylo3d

Actually the reason he split it into a seperate package is not to double charge you as a new product. He is actually putting it in the original package and for people who want GI only and none of the extra stuff then they have the option of buying the seperate package which is only GI. And unlike Livenda, he has something to show.

Regaurdless of the outcome unity 5s enlighten works great.

shkar-noori likes this.
  37. ZJP

ZJP

This...
    I lost faith in others 3rd party products. Now lightning (and shaders?!) Tools = Unity Technologies. Simple like this.

38. FogGobbler

FogGobbler

Well guys, I´m giving up waiting for this asset. The company seems totally overstrained with this task and we just cannot rely on their statements. I´ve simply had enough of "coming soon" and worthless other excuses. I feel sorry for the company, because something like this can break a company´s neck, but it´s a tough business.
    Personally I don´t think this asset will ever make it to the store. The lack of real communication is the thing that bothers me most of all. This case could be used as a "how not to deal with potential customers". Anyway, I wish Livenda all the best and good luck..they need it.

39. Zeblote

Zeblote

It's not realtime. It requires a baking step of the whole scene that can only be done with the unity editor, making it useless for me.

40. LaneFox

LaneFox

You can do realtime GI with Enlighten.

41. kurylo3d

kurylo3d

Only with the directional skylight so far. But the rest of it is sort of real time in that u can use probes for moving objects.. and all lights could move and be dynamic. Only stuff that doesnt move is static geometry.

42. Zeblote

Zeblote

It still requires a baking step, doesn't it? The level is assembled from prefabs at runtime.

43. kurylo3d

kurylo3d

The realtime directional doesnt require baking as far as I could tell. As for the rest you have to make level objects as static and bake those. When i say baking i mean the lights can still be moved but the level geometry should stay the same.

44. Zeblote

Zeblote

Well the objects are basically static once spawned, but the scene doesn't exist as-is in the unity editor. It's created with the ingame level editor.

45. LaneFox

LaneFox

Actually I just tried to play with it and couldn't get any of the realtime GI stuff to work. The options are there, but they don't seem to be working right now so maybe its incomplete?

46. Mauri

Mauri

That could be. It's still a Beta after all...

47. LaneFox

LaneFox

The options seem pretty straightforward in the Lighting panel as well as the Realtime setting per-material... So in lieu of an official comment I think its safe to assume the features are disabled/incomplete..

48. Deleted User

Deleted User

It has to pre-compute geometry and then lighting can be moved dynamically, if you change shaders etc. it will have to re-compute.

49. LaneFox

LaneFox

Recompute what? It doesn't seem to work with Static or Dynamic geometry.

50. kurylo3d

kurylo3d

I think hes talkn about the baking aspect.. which doesnt bake lighting.. just baked gi information so lights can be move around. I dont have unity 5 in front of me right now.. i have it at home. So i cant test but in all the videos the skylight directional light can do GI without the baking.. as far as i could tell. I dont think it works for spot or point lights yet in real time. Those 2 rely on the gi baking of static geometry.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.