Search Unity

SpaceScape: tool for creating space skyboxes with stars and

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by runningbird, Sep 24, 2010.

1. runningbird

runningbird

2. Ayce

Ayce

Trying to get it now. 3rd attempt. Both tries before gave me damaged/corrupted or incomplete archives. :(

Looks good though. I tried making a nice night skybox, but it came out ugly. Looked good in psp though.

O.K. finally got a good download, going to try it soon and will report. :D

3. mikesgames

mikesgames

looks funky!

I am gonna try it out now :)

4. Ayce

Ayce

Well, that's cool. :D

Looks real nice when creating skies, but may take a bit of work to get nicer ones for real use.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/code]

As you can see, there are visible seams, which may take some work to get rid of. Of course this is my first try, so maybe I can do better.
    Looks great in game, 'cause "He who stops to look at stars, loses the race." :D

5. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I'm guessing some of the maps need to be rotated to not have seams with unity.

6. Ayce

Ayce

I switched the front and back and got rid of the side seams, which is O.K. enough for now, as I don't look up while driving, anyway. :)

7. Caliber-Mengsk

Caliber-Mengsk

I don't know if it's just me, but I had to swap the left and right images when making the skybox in unity.

EDIT:
    I should say that besides that, it works great.

8. Ayce

Ayce

Yep, I did that as well, switched front/back and left/right. Now the only seam visible is on the top. I tried switching top/bottom, but that didn't help.

Works great as long as you do that, and don't make your stars too big, under 3 seems best, and keep the noise down.

9. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

If you swapped the left and right side panels, chances are you have to rotate or mirror the top texture file in order for it to work.

10. oblivionfeet

oblivionfeet

This crashes for me and refuses to run at all. Dunno what's up with that. No error messages or nothing, just crashes. Shame too.

Edit: Looks like it doesn't take distortion into account though, causing skyboxes to look like boxes regardless.

11. defmech

defmech

Me too. I've been able to get into the open file dialog twice, but never able to actually make it through. I've only been able to create my own scene successfully once. Every single other time I try and use it, it crashes as soon as the window shows up. Strange. What kind of hardware/os are you using?

12. npsf3000

npsf3000

Nope.

Just swap left and right and it just 'works'. Have no idea why, but i'm happy.

13. npsf3000

npsf3000

Works perfectly fine in Win7 64 HP.

I suggest you keep your eye on any anti-virus checks.

14. MisterEd

MisterEd

Works for me as well.

Im not any good in using it tho but no errors whatsoever.

I do like the app btw.

Regards,

MisterEd.

15. paulygons

paulygons

Wow. I'm only 10 minutes into using Spacescape, and maybe I'm out of touch with this kind of tool, but the only comparable thing I can recall was a photoshop plugin called Universe that was pretty basic. If nothing else, it looks to be a fast way to get variations on stars. I can't tell yet how much real variation you can get with the parameters of each layer. The purple-nebula-complex file that comes with it was a good way to learn it's use. No undo option, so save smart. Can't tell if it's possible to use your own textures effectively. I'm excited about finding this!

16. danboutros

danboutros

Please do a mac version!

17. jshrek

jshrek

Just downloaded and tried the Mac version ... seems to work good!

18. Kirienko

Kirienko

Looks interesting :)

19. CaoMengde777

CaoMengde777

awesome! i was just googling for something like this yesterday, on a random whim... weird lol