Search Unity

Space Shooter Extended

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by PhsycoDragon, Jan 24, 2015.

1. PhsycoDragon

PhsycoDragon

I have recently started making games and so far I have only done the unity tutorial projects. I completed the Space Shooter tutorial and I immediately thought of how it can be improved. There are many ways. It has the beginnings of a fun game, and I want to make it the the game it deserves to be. As I am still learning I have some some subgoals I want to accomplish. I will also need help with a lot of things. Thus this post will serve as a way for me to chronicle my journey.

Space Shooter X

Play on Kongregate (http://bit.ly/sskong)

Current Version: v1.3.1

Direct Download
    (http://bit.ly/ssddv131)

Start Screen

Ingame

Game Over!

If you want to play the older versions the game, here is the OneDrive Folder (http://bit.ly/ssfol)

Goals:

Main Goal:
    • Make Space Shooter fun!
    Personal Goals:
    • Learn myself game development
    • Explore the Unity Engine
    • Make my first (actual) game
    (What follows is some ideas and in an order in which I want complete them. I will cross them off when i have completed them.)

Development Goals:
    1. Restart. (Completed)
    2. Waves of increasing difficulty. (Completed)
    3. Bullets, Shields and Power-ups. (Subgoals follow.)
      1. Bullets. (You start with 100. Lets see how far you can get.)
      2. Shields. (You get a shield! Taking on an asteroid will deplete the shield, so you won't be killed outright.
      3. Power-ups. (On destroying an asteroid there is a 10% chance it will drop a power-up that will replenish your shields, by 50%, or ammo, by 10.)
      4. Super Weapon. (Kill everything!)
    4. Enemies and More Hazards. (Subgoals follow. I know these are in the game already, I just need to utilise them.)
      1. More Hazards. (Spawn one of the three types of asteroids randomly. I want to spawn one of the three types asteroid randomly.) (Completed)
      2. Enemies. (They will only start on a certain wave. They will also have a chance, still unsure if 25% or 50%, to drop a power-up. In later waves they could be harder to kill.)
    5. Main Menu. (Just a simple way to start the game and maybe turn off sound. Perhaps showing the controls and having an option to rebind them is a good idea. It could also have a nice SPACE SHOOTER icon or banner.)
    6. User Interface. (You know all that boring white text? Lets delete that and use a proper UI with health bars, counters and most importantly, buttons.)
      1. Buttons. (Instead of pressing a key to restart, click a button!)
      2. Health bar. (A shield bar, so instead of showing it in numbers, it will be a bar!)
      3. Counters. (For the ammo and score.)
    7. Different Factions and Upgradeable Ships. (This will probably be the most work. I will need help with this as I cannot do 3D modeling or create sounds. Subgoals follow.)
      1. Factions. (I have ideas for 4 factions, maybe they could have different ships with slightly different stats.)
        1. Humans. (Same colour scheme as the default player, moderate firepower and shields, but slow.)
        2. Aliens. (The enemies from the base game. Low shields, moderate firepower, but high speed.)
        3. Pirates. (They will have a maroon and dark grey colour scheme. They will be very tough, deal a ton of damage, but a snail can outrun them.)
        4. The Unknown. (Unlocked by reaching wave 100, this neon-green ship is almost unstoppable with high damage, shields and speed.)
      2. Upgradeable Ships. (When you kill an enemy, there is a 1% they will drop an upgrade token. They will have the following upgradeable stats.)
        1. Firepower. (Upgrade the damage they do, and the rate they fire at.)
        2. Shields. (Upgrade the shield capacity.)
        3. Speed. (Upgrade the movement speed.)
        4. Weapons. (Choose what weapon you want, lasers, missiles, etc.)
        5. Super Weapons. (Choose what super weapon you want, nuke, super laser, etc.)
    8. Android and iOS. (I want to play it anywhere I go.)
    9. Multiplayer. (Nothing fancy, just local multiplayer.)
    10. Story. (I have no idea what to do with this, that is why this is the last goal.)
    Changelog (http://bit.ly/sschlog)

As you can see, I am perhaps a bit bold, but the only reason for this project is to learn.

I need feedback on the following things:
    • What do you think of the game
    • What to you think of my ideas
    • What are your ideas
    • Anything else you wish to add
    Help:
    I need help with the following things, info about this will be greatly appreciated:
    • 3D modeling, I tried using blender, once.
    • Audio.
    Thank you for reading and I hope that I will learn to actually make games.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
    Adam-Buckner and GarBenjamin like this.
  2. PhsycoDragon

PhsycoDragon

Just a bump to make people see this. Please.

3. IAmCraigSnedeker

IAmCraigSnedeker

I think it's an awesome idea!

4. PhsycoDragon

PhsycoDragon

Thank you!

5. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Cool! Keep it up!

6. PhsycoDragon

PhsycoDragon

Quick question, may I post the game on Kongregate? I am doing so now, but if I am not allowed to, I'll take it down immediately.

7. PhsycoDragon

PhsycoDragon

The game is now on Kongregate! I decided to call it Space Shooter X

8. SiphonZero

SiphonZero

Good job! I have been working on a similar project with the end goal of extending the space shooter to include enemy waves like in Galaga and Galaxian. If you want to work together or share ideas please message me. Good luck and keep at it!

9. angelo90

angelo90

Goals are always nice to have, and you seem to have them well-planned-out, keep it up man :)

10. dainzarco

dainzarco

Hey could you show me or explain how you did the force field? I'm doing this same tutorial for a class in school. I wanted to add onto it but I'm new at scripting. I'm using my own ship though.
    Love what you did to the game btw