Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

"Space" Open World / RPG Project

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Sollthar, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Sollthar

Sollthar

Ah, that could be. I'm using Unity Pro.

2. UnknownProfile

UnknownProfile

This looks amazing. Any idea when you'll put a web player link back up?

3. Sollthar

Sollthar

Not for quite some time now. As I said, some things will be redone from scratch so it'll take a while to implement them.
    I'll keep updating with info though.

At the moment, I'm mainly looking at the combat system. I'm trying to move away from the arcade aim and shoot style to something more strategic. I'm looking for ways to combine the depth of a turn based, gridded strategy game with different tactics, units and environment with the immediacy of a real time action system. Something that allows for different and complex tactics while still remaining accessible and fun.

4. UnknownProfile

UnknownProfile

Sounds very fun. I can't wait to try it out when you're done (I'm willing to wait however long it takes :p).

5. Sollthar

Sollthar

Heh, thank you! :)

6. earthcrosser

earthcrosser

Hey started reading about Frontiers, after I saw the space ship designs i-tech was working on for you, cool stuff! Looks like a massive project! I'll be waiting with rab236 :) Also looks like you've been thinking a lot about AI problems, maybe you could give me some advice about how to make my computer opponent smarter? I sort fo winged it :)

7. jesseoffy

jesseoffy

I feel this should not be a web player. With all the work you are putting into it, it seems more fitting of a standalone game (I'm also biased against extensive browser-games. Everything's more fun as a standalone in my book :D )

8. Sollthar

Sollthar

It's definitely not intended to be a browser game, no - it'll be a standalone game, we're just not quite sure for what platforms yet. The more, the better - obviously. :)

AI is very tough and I really wouldn't consider myself any kind of expert on it. Plus, with the redesign of certain gameplay aspects, the AI will have to be rewritten from scratch anyways.

9. vcjr12

vcjr12

dammit i just want to help so badly but im just a modeler in training lol

10. vcjr12

vcjr12

Do you have any updates for far???:confused:

11. Sollthar

Sollthar

Not much that's ready to be presented. Still a few ideas floating around.

The main driving force behind the gameplay should be decisions. Decisions that matter and have a large impact - and always keep you on your toes for the sideeffects they might have. Will you help an aspiring politician to get to power or will you stop his career to help someone else, will you save an innocent life but might provoke a war with doing so, will you produce cheap medicine to help a population but eventually lose your corporation or will you produce drugs to make a lot of money but risk the populus health as well as getting arrested.

These are the main things that drive gameplay decisions at the moment. To offer difficult decisions that aren't always clear. On every level possible. So we're currently trying to come up with game mechanics that offer that kind of experience.

12. vcjr12

vcjr12

Awesome description that sounded like a brief written demo of what the game is all about. :)

13. Alavardo

Alavardo

Hey. Some news?

14. Sollthar

Sollthar

My girlfriend is currently in the hospital and taking care of her has occupied my time for the last 2 weeks, so there's not much that happened on the game.

Next plan however will be to build a prototype of the new combat system!

15. ScienceFiction

ScienceFiction

I hope she gets better soon, hang in there.

16. Sollthar

Sollthar

And another post after a bit of silence. :)

I'm changing the combat system from "Arcade Shooter" to "Tactical Shooter".
    For that I'm experiementing with new techniques. Currently, the system works similar to a roundbased and skill/itemdependent AP system, but it's in real time and instead of AP's all your actions take a certain amount of time to perform. A quickshot (LMB) is fast but less accurate then an aimed shot (RMB). Some weapons will offer special abilities like forcing an enemy into cover, stunning him for a couple of seconds etc.
    Also, it's now possible to give context sensitive orders to your team members like (attack, heal, build defensive turrents) etc.
    Feels much better then it did before! Lots of things to add yet still.

17. a n00b programmer

a n00b programmer

Could I play it? The combat system looks EPIC!

18. Blacklight

Blacklight

I agree, very nice!

19. Sollthar

Sollthar

Thanks guys, glad you like it. Will spend today to add some more details and abilities to it.

That's definately the road I wanna take it.

20. xzile40

xzile40

With first glance at this game, it reminded me of Mass Effect. Just that type of view in a game and the way your approaching this game makes me think of that, I don't know why :)

Amazing job on this. I wish I could see a webplayer though. It's already looking great!

By the way, what do you plan on running this on?

21. djc-smithers

djc-smithers

is there going to be a multiplayer component

22. Sollthar

Sollthar

I don't think so, no. It's currently designed to be a one player story experience.

23. Alec

Alec

Looks awesome, character models seem a bit low definition in comparison to the environments though, or maybe its just my eyes :p. Regardless, looks extremely fleshed out, best of luck to you!

24. vcjr12

vcjr12

any new updates??

25. Sollthar

Sollthar

No current updates that sound exciting. Experimenting with different code setups for the quest system. Still not found the "definitive" way though. Keep adding systems, trying them out, then adding new systems.

26. ScienceFiction

ScienceFiction

Thats right where I am too Marco, got any suggestions on the best way to do quests, based on what you've tried thus far?

27. Sollthar

Sollthar

My main Problem is the procedural and randomized story structure. Most quests should be possible in most locations since I never quite know how and when and where the player might be presented with it. So Im currently trying to have each planet be defined by a couple of values which determine the possible storylines evolving from there. It's tough to find something that feels individual enough to nit be generic while also being possible in every situation.

The "interactive open world" approach make quests rather hard since their something so linear.

28. ivanzu

ivanzu

Very good I really like the new combat system.:D

29. TheAll

TheAll

New combat system is Awesome!

30. faysalxxx

faysalxxx

are this is in unity 3d game

31. Sollthar

Sollthar

Yes, this is a unity 3D game. :)

32. DayyanSisson

DayyanSisson

This is great. I don't know if I missed it, but, is there a webplayer?

33. Sollthar

Sollthar

No, the game is still far into development.

34. HolBol

HolBol

Sweet roasted catfish. Are you serious? It's in the unity showcase, sooo yeah... umm....
    Spellchecker time! *Is this a Unity game?*
    Anywayz, before I fly too far away, sollthar, it's looking great, man.

35. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

Sollthar, when you going to put another build up? :)

36. Sollthar

Sollthar

Thanks! It'll be a while before a new build. At the moment, I'm really trying to implement the quest system and proper codes so I can start to expand and build actual content.
    Then try if it's any fun to play. :)

37. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

Cool beans. Btw, what are the dimensions of the terrain of Thrax? is it 2k x 2k?

38. Sollthar

Sollthar

All planets will be a 1024x1024 terrain just like "Thrax" is, which is my current Testing-Planet. That's about enough size to create some interesting gameplay in it while keeping it all at a manageable size for me. :)

39. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

Gotcha. Could we see an isometric shot of Thrax in its current state? I'd be curious to see :)

40. Sollthar

Sollthar

Sure, though it doesn't look tooooo interesting from that far. But this is the current state of the planet.

41. ivanzu

ivanzu

Looks pretty cool and isometric!;)

42. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

Awesome dude, it looks great. Did you do it all by hand?

43. Sollthar

Sollthar

Yeah, I did everything by hand. Took me about 2 days in total to make that planet (not including modeling and texturing all the assets, obviously). :)

44. ColeChittim

ColeChittim

LOOKS AMAZING! Watched the vids on YouTube and I love the cinematic entrance to locations. Can't wait to see the final product!

45. Sollthar

Sollthar

Okay, I'd love some input from you guys. I'm having large issues motivating myself to push forward with the storytelling / mission / game design because I'm really not sure if there's a point to it... Maybe it's just me, or maybe I've just been working on it alone for too long or maybe my expectations are just too high. But I'm really not sure if what I want to create is going to be fun for anyone to play.

What would you expect from a "good" game of that kind? A game that tries to be different from "RPG standard formula"...

46. joeboy30

joeboy30

Ok, what I expect from the RPG's I play is mainly a game mechanic or something old redone to a high standard and implemented in a way that doesn't feel 'Tacked on', that is the worst part of a game when it could be good if not for a terrible mechanic, also a great story is a necessity it is there to make there to make the player care about their character and or other NPC's, the story doesn't have to have major plot twists half way through the game, it just has to be a well written story.

A suggestion to make this game stand out is no levelling, just make it so that the more you play the game the more talented you get at it thus, making it easier, kind of like Team Fortress 2 (I know it's not an RPG, however it is founded on a similar concept) this would also remove the need for hundreds of in-game items as you could just get more skilful with the gun/other weaponry that you already have

You could also release the game in chapters or episodes, slowly building on the world that you are constantly making and upgrading similar to how some MMORPG's add new realms or areas you could add new planets this would build up hype for your game and let you know what works and what doesn't.

These are just crazy suggestions made by someone who only gets to play but a few RPGs a year. Also please don't give up your project is one of only 4 projects on the unity forums that I like to keep up to date with. Finally don't try to be too different from modern RPGs as may concepts have been tried out it the genre and just haven't worked as well as others. Good Luck.

47. Creativita

Creativita

Are you able to give a link to a web player if you are willing to share your progress?

48. Sollthar

Sollthar

Due to the fact that my life pretty much went into a straight downhill ride in the last months, I'm giving this project up. It's been good fun and a very interesting experience. Thanks to everyone who supported me with advice, kind words or tough but honest critique.

49. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

Owh no. hopefully you'll get back onto it in the future, would be ashame to loose this project. Great work anyway, bet it was a brilliant learning experience :)

50. KarelA

KarelA

:(

I am so sorry to hear that.

Dont give up just yet. Take a break and do something else. One day you will want to continue with it. Also i see that you have inspired so many people in this thread. I am sure that you will find a lot of people who would love to help you with this project. Its crazy amount of work just for one person.

I hope that your personal life will get better. I hate to see talent like this to go lost :(