Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Space Game Starter Kit [Released]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by ArenMook, Oct 11, 2011.

1. ArenMook

ArenMook

Mobile controls in SGSK are not meant to be used "as-is" -- they're just there for demo purposes. You should write your own proper joystick-based logic to control the ship. That said, I don't know why there would be a delay. Low framerate perhaps?

2. Gr33nIguana

Gr33nIguana

Dear Aren, First of all, i would like to thank you for building this fantastic starterkit. I do have 2 questions about the spline controlled level.
    Question 1 = How can i stop and continue time when following the spline (i want the ship to stop at certain points and load some cargo, and after 30 seconds, the ship should continue from it's last position)
    Question 2 = I would like to use the trusters as some sort of boost on the spline (when the user presses a button, the ship fly's a little bit forward, using its trusters, and when the player releases the button, the ship should get back at it's original position)

3. aromamode

aromamode

Hi Aren, firstly thanks and nice work, just the thing to spend my time, on my days off, Few questions.

So firstly, is there a way to use arcade mode movement then have it revert back to free roaming.
    Secondly, Cant seem to find how the thrusters are added to ships, Random example, i want a thruster on the nose of the ship not in the middle.

EDIT : and thirdly how do i get a first person mode, if at all possible

Cheers Ads

Last edited: May 26, 2013
  4. ArenMook

ArenMook

The best place to ask for faster answers on my end is -- http://www.tasharen.com/forum/index.php?board=6.0

To add thrusters, just add more. A game object with the thruster script pointing in a specific direction is all you need as I recall. To practice just duplicate one of the ship's thrusters and position it where you need it to be.

Arcade movement and free roaming are two different examples. In arcade example the ship is following a fixed spline, so if you want to "detach" the ship from that, you need to destroy the ship and create a manually controlled ship in its location.

For first person mode, hide the ship's renderer and just move the camera to be attached to the ship.

5. zeppeldep

zeppeldep

Sounds?
    Hi Aren, I have missed something. All running ok, except I hear no sounds. No background music and no sound effects (thrusters, lazers, explosions).
    What did I miss?
    Thx for your patience, sorry if this is a simple question. I will ask harder questions in a few months.
    All the best and THANK YOU ... YOU R SUPER COOL..

6. ArenMook

ArenMook

There are no sounds. The demo preview doesn't have any sounds either.

7. zeppeldep

zeppeldep

That's a relief! I thought I had missed one of the basics. Where do I start? Edit > Project Settings > Audio .. Correct?

8. zeppeldep

zeppeldep

slowly making progress with audio.. imported an audio file asset - an idling jet sound; added an audio listener component to the main camera; added the audio asset as audiosource... now I just need to figure out how to match the pitch with the camera speed .. is there a good tutorial somewhere?

9. zeppeldep

zeppeldep

shipspeed.cs has an update that updates the text .. showing the current speed.. how can I access the audiosource object here - in the update function?
    looks like an easy way to adjust the pitch, the pitch is relative to the mcontrol.current speed .. at least thats one way to do it .. maybe ?

10. ArenMook

ArenMook

Depends on where you put your audiosource. GetComponent is one way, having a public variable set in inspector is another way. You're asking a question about how to use a specific part of Unity here rather than something about the kit.

11. madcatstyle

madcatstyle

Hi ArenMook,
    I am trying to import the Image Effects Pro package but when i do i get lots of errors and have to spend a long time tidying up before it all works again (but i am back where i started). Can you help so i can use these effects with SGSK?
    Thanks

12. zeppeldep

zeppeldep

Thanks Aren .. I'm going to go the .. 'public variable in inspector' route..
    I have added the audio Asset and the script ready to add to the Player.
    Using the Space Game Starter Kit in the Project, when I am in Unity Editor Player is not available ...
    When I run/play the scene I notice that Player is listed .. but it looks like its components are read-only, I added the script as a component using the Inspector while in run/play .. when stopping run/play the change is not recorded and Player is no longer displayed..
    Thanks for your patience.. almost there (I think)..

13. zeppeldep

zeppeldep

It looks like the Player is created at runtime as a spaceship type
    Here is the play script:
    $movecs.PNG

Then I added it to the Spaceship object:
    $space-move-sound.PNG

Main Camera has an Audio Listener
    What have I missed?

14. ArenMook

ArenMook

Why do you keep playing it repeatedly in update? You should only do it once, and vary pitch by speed if you're going down that route.

In Battle Treads I attached an Audio Listener to the camera, Audio Source to the vehicle, and on the Audio Source made it loop. The vehicle's code simply altered the pitch based on vehicle speed.

15. zeppeldep

zeppeldep

Thx Aren .. Makes sense .. I should get it right soon.. thx for your patience

16. zeppeldep

zeppeldep

I will check Battle Treads just now..

I already tried Audio Source .. not hearing any sound .. maybe I should try a build to check ? This is the set up (whats missing?):

$spaceshipsource.PNG

$maincamlisten.PNG

17. ArenMook

ArenMook

Logarithmic falloff with 0.35 base volume will drop the volume off sharply based on distance from the camera. I suggest using a linear one instead.

Other than that -- nothing is missing, this is all you need. Consult Unity's docs on the Audio Source and Listener for anything else.

18. zeppeldep

zeppeldep

How does the Player object get created?

The Hierarchy list before run has no Player like this:

$before1.PNG

Then .. when running/playing the Player object appears (is created):

$after1.PNG

Thanks Aren .. The answer to this will help me understand the process a lot better..

19. ArenMook

ArenMook

20. ouchie1975

ouchie1975

tk2dSceneHelper.cs(108,27): error CS0117: `Tools' does not contain a definition for `current'

Any help would be appreciated.

21. Brainswitch

Brainswitch

I am guessing both Space Game Starter Kit and 2DToolKit has a class/monobehaviour named Tools. Rename one of them.

22. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

I looked on your website and do not see documentation or tutorials for this. Can you provide links please if you have them.

23. HamsterCrack

HamsterCrack

We downloaded the SGSK from the Asset Store and after importing to Unity it appeared some files were missing. It gives compile errors due to files like SGInput.cs and SGWidget.cs being missing. I don't see these files on disk. According to the Asset Store "Package Contents" list they should be in Scripts/Common/UI/... but they are not.

Any thoughts on what happened or how to get these missing files?

thanks

24. ArenMook

ArenMook

http://www.tasharen.com/forum/index.php?board=6.0 is a better place to ask questions as I've mentioned this before -- I don't check these forums very often, but I check the Tasharen support forum several times a day and get notified of all posts.

When importing SGSK, don't import it into the same folder as NGUI is in. If you need a version that works with NGUI, email me the OR# and I'll send it to you. Same goes for the version that usesTNet for networking.

25. Azthetik

Azthetik

I'm having issues with the customization of the base ship, basically, whenever I modify top speed or something like that (using the scripts that are standard) and they have no effect when I run the game, the max speed stays at 150. I am exceedingly confused and I can't modify the actual code because I have the base ship, as well as a few battle cruisers that all use the same script. Any help would be awesome. :3

26. GregMeach

GregMeach

@gaara1 - modify the prefab named Spaceship; that's what gets created upon launching the game

27. antoripa

antoripa

Hi,
    package is not anymore on Asset Store.
    How can i get it?

28. John_Vella

John_Vella

Is this project now dead, as I really wanted to give it a go.

29. John_Vella

John_Vella

I'm guessing the lack of reply means that this is a dead project. Has anyone asked the developer is he would mind sharing a copy for educational purposes?

30. Mad_Mark

Mad_Mark

Does anyone have a link to download SGSK?