Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Space Builder : Genesis - Spatial Environment generator

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by DarkAnvil, Sep 23, 2014.

1. DarkAnvil

DarkAnvil

Hi,

Space Builder : Genesis Is a spatial environment generator for Unity.

Link to Asset Sotre
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/22175

You will be able to create beautiful environments in a few clicks or a single one., with the following tools :
    • Powerfull custom inpector
      • For wysiwyg gui
    • Random generator
      • Overall
      • By item
    • Nebula render with 3D Fractal (pre set for good result)
      • 3 types Cloudy, Veined, Mask
      • Multi-layer
      • Color
    • Configurable star fields
      • One layer for empty space
      • One layer for Nebula
      • Intensity
      • Gradiant color
    • Starburst & nebula sprite
      • to add detail (nebula , star etc... where you want)
    • Planet with Advanced Planet Shader
      • Static or mobile planet
      • Orbital mode
    • Mass elements generation
      • for asteroid field for example
      • 2 Mode : ring or sphere
    • Skybox rendering (Unity Pro only)
      • Rendering relative to static or mobile planet
      • Auto rendering at startup or pre-computed
      • 4 Resolutions (512,1024,2048,4096)
    • Drift & Cosmos particles
      • Allow movenment effect in the cosmos
    Features in videos

Screenshots

Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
    bjornrun likes this.
  2. DarkAnvil

DarkAnvil

Hi,

A new serie of screenshot extract from example scene... I hope to submit next week

3. DarkAnvil

DarkAnvil

Hi,

Documentation is being drafted.

You can follow development here

Do not hesitate to up my spelling mistakes and grammar, my English is very bad

4. DarkAnvil

DarkAnvil

Hi,

SBG is in pending review by Unity, I hope a release this week

5. DarkAnvil

DarkAnvil

6. blitz3dfr

blitz3dfr

Amazing results!

7. bullardo

bullardo

How does this operate under mobile builds?

8. DarkAnvil

DarkAnvil

All depends if you have Unity Pro or not.

If you have Unity Pro, your entire cosmos can be integrated into a skybox, or chosse specific objects planet, asteroid to be not render in the skybox.

With Unity Free, there isn't skybox rendering for objects type of planet/asteroid/starburst, so performance will be based on the number of element.

And now there are differences in performance between the smartphone and tablet...

9. bullardo

bullardo

I'm also wondering if the depth camera will work with the Oculus Rift. Has anyone tried this with the rift yet?

10. DarkAnvil

DarkAnvil

Hi,
    I'm sorry, but I can not answer that question.

SBG uses 2 cameras with 2 mode (one for your scene, one for space environnement):
    1- synchronizing the FOV
    2 - independent FOV.

11. bullardo

bullardo

I will probably pick this up anyways and see if I can work that out the render to skybox seems interesting. I will let you know if I can get it working with the Oculus Rift/ Gear VR. We have a pretty big community of developers.

12. DarkAnvil

DarkAnvil

Hi,

I can make some change to get it working with Occulus if you need.

13. DarkAnvil

DarkAnvil

14. bullardo

bullardo

Just picked it up. Looking forward to playing around with my project this weekend.

15. nukeD

nukeD

Been waiting for this!!! Will pick it up this afternoon!

16. nukeD

nukeD

... and got it!

17. DarkAnvil

DarkAnvil

Thank you, I stay listening for any improvements to the products.

And don't forget to write a review if you like it

18. Inspeinre

Inspeinre

Hi! Thank you for your work! Tell me, is fully compatible your product with SPACE for Unity - Space Scene Construction Kit?

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
  19. DarkAnvil

DarkAnvil

hi

Inspeinre
    We are rather concurant, however Spacebuilder doesn't incorporate moving mechanism and destruction.

This point, will be another package ...SpaceBuilder : Armagedon

20. Inspeinre

Inspeinre

SpaceBuilder: Armagedon....good news. I wondered if I could use your package to create an environment for use SPACE for Unity? ie combine the functionality of both packages?

21. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

I have a question about your planet shader. I only see panels labeled Diffuse and Normal in the manual. Is it possible to load a specular map for oceans? or a cutout map for clouds?

22. rcalt2vt

rcalt2vt

Very beautiful, been playing around with it a bit. However, it needs an option to serialize the dynamically generated textures, materials, etc to disk. Otherwise having all that data save to the scene file causes it to bloat to the point where the scene will no longer be able to be saved. Just playing around with it, my scene file went up to 250mb and after that kept failing to save.

23. DarkAnvil

DarkAnvil

Hi all,

rcalt2vt
    Ok, I'm going to fixe that

WetCircuit
    Yes, it's possible. The inspector allow to setup Directly Normal diffuse, but can you affect the shader that you want to the planet, in this case you must create your own material before.

24. DarkAnvil

DarkAnvil

Hi all,

Thank you to rcalt2Vt for his dfeedback.

There is a memory leak on starfield classe,
    I'm being corrected, it should be available Monday.

Thank you for your understanding

25. DarkAnvil

DarkAnvil

Hi all,

After some research, it doesn't come from SpaceBuilder Genesis, but by disastrous texture memory management of Unity.

I am being changed for that.

26. DarkAnvil

DarkAnvil

Hi all,

SpaceBuilder : Genesis V1.1.0 is in pending review by Unity

Version 1.1.0
    =============
    Improvement
    - Temporary textures are no longer managed in memory. Which significantly reduces the scenes size and memory usage.
    - You need to migrate your 1.0.0 scene, with "Migrate" button on Setting tab.
    - You have access to different textures in the directory : SpaceBuilder/CosmosResources/Skybox/[scene name]

Bug fixe
    - All asteroids were destroyed, if they were all parameterized "render Into skybox"

27. DarkAnvil

DarkAnvil

28. RoTru

RoTru

Looks really awesome and up my alley... But confused about a few things. It looks like SpaceBuilder doesn't support generation at runtime? (for new procedural levels/space sectors for new games). Nor does it support placing new objects such as space stations or colliders for 'new' things such as enemy/object placement (I mean we could find a way to do it on our own but would prefer to have something that already generates the math so objects aren't created inside each other)

29. DarkAnvil

DarkAnvil

Hi,

SBG allows you to set up the environment, not the elements of your future games, because there are so many different style of games. Existing packages specialize in what you say (pop Enemies, occlusion culling for unity free etc ...)

However if you want to put others objects in the environment, it is quite possible. You have just to setup these layer to Cosmos. Your object will be rendering by the second camera.

30. RoTru

RoTru

I'm still confused about generation, so it does cannot populate a level at runtime, only in-editor?

I wouldn't expect it to handle game logic of course, but if it was doing runtime generation as long as it has the ability to place game objects we can use/tag for our own specific game needs

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
  31. DarkAnvil

DarkAnvil

Yes, you design your backgorund environment in the editor.

SpaceBuild helps to build your environment from various elements. If you have Unity Pro, you will be able to generate a skybox, which take into account or not the mobile objects.

SBG uses 2 cameras to have 3D objects in the background, which will be always at the same distance from the main camera.

For example, this allows to have planets that rotate on itself, but even if you move with the main camera,you never grow closer. A small options simulates a slight rapprochement

SpaceBuilder is an environnement creator, like you can create a scene in 3DS Max.

32. RoTru

RoTru

ok thanks for the replies... This looks like the best space generator on the asset store... I just figured since it was procedural you'd support it with runtime seed generation, since you're most of the way there already.

33. Deleted User

Deleted User

SBG looks very good. Can you tell us more about SpaceBuilder : Armagedon you mentioned? What do you mean by moving mechanism in post #19?

34. DarkAnvil

DarkAnvil

SB Armagedon will be an editor extension to create amazing 3d space dog fight :)

35. Deleted User

Deleted User

Would be more convenient if classes were in a namespace.

36. DarkAnvil

DarkAnvil

Hi,

I'm going to make the change

37. DarkAnvil

DarkAnvil

Hi !

It's the last week end on the introductory discount of SpaceBuilder.

38. Deleted User

Deleted User

I would suggest making stars look more like in Galaxy on Fire 2, right now they lose to those from Space for Unity package.
    Nebulas could look better if they didn't have as much resemblance with voronoi noise. It's okay if occasionally, but when it's most of the time - looks repetitive.

39. DarkAnvil

DarkAnvil

Hi,

Could you give me a screenshot, because the stars are relatively very configurable.I don't see what is not feasible relative to Galaxy on Fire 2.

For nebulae, it is still based, they are calculated with fractal3D. That's why you can add you own with starburst instpector, to break this aspect of "artificial".

Actually if you only use random generation, you will always fallen into the same type of nebulae. It's random, but bounded, to have a correct result, and a good start

You get the best results by setting all yourself.

40. DarkAnvil

DarkAnvil

Hi

SpaceBuilder : Genesis V1.1.1 is available on Asset Store
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/22175

Version 1.1.1
    =============
    Bug fixe
    - The dynamic assignment of the main camera is working properly.

using SBGenesis;
    Cosmos.instance.SpaceCamera = myCamera

Other
    Add the namespace SBGenesis on all classes.

41. DarkAnvil

DarkAnvil

Hi,

Who will be the first to enjoy our first Free Package Vouchers :
    ASV-VDJ4-7K9V-QTPN-JLDR-X6V4

42. lorenalexm

lorenalexm

Redeemed :) Been silently following this for awhile now. Expect a review in the near future when I get some time off to play with this, thank you for your generosity!

43. DarkAnvil

DarkAnvil

44. GregMeach

GregMeach

Just a heads up - you should test-import your package into Unity 5 (beta 14) - the API updater fails. :(

Edit: Yes, yes I know 5 is still a beta :)
    Edit2: SPACE for Unity doesn't have errors and imports fine

45. DarkAnvil

DarkAnvil

Hi,

I don't have Unity 5, and as you say is still in beta. ...and it work correctly in unity 4.6 and 4.5.
    But can you tell me more on "the API updater fails." an error label or error code ?

It would be very interesting that you make also this feedback to Unity For two reasons:

1-
    . Because SBG uses low unity api to create layer name at import time (CosmosLayer.cs), and uses AssetModificationProcessor classe (SaveSceneTexture). If any of these classes is no longer in Unity 5 or renamed or are operating to changethis could explain the problem. (I don't think that space for unity uses these classes ;) ).Because even if we are publisher, we have no privileged access.

If these classes are the problem, it will be correct at the release of the 5.X, with the compiler directive. In order not to penalize 4.X users to be very many still several months

2- If this isn't the case, so this is a bug in the Unity 5.X importer, and we can do nothing

Can you make a little try for me, import SBG in Unity 4.X, remove CosmosLayer.cs export the package, and try to import in Unity 5.

Thank you.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
  46. exiguous

exiguous

AFAIK the current Beta is only available to Pro-customers. I guess there will be a public beta some time before the release. So you could at least wait until it is publicly available. I agree that you can hardly be "forced" to make your asset compatible to a restricted version.

If so you should report this as a bug to UT. When it fails its probably more their fault than DarkAnvil's.

47. DarkAnvil

DarkAnvil

Hi,

You're right, and it isn't a nice position. For the first time Unity uses the principle of the open beta, which further complicates things. An "unofficial" version, the operation may be changed without notice by Unity.

The release of a new major version of Unity is still problematic. Because the situation is very confused for several months because :
    * There will be a lot of inconsistency 4.x and 5.x that will be discovered
    * The new features will have some bugs
    * And large patches will be made available
    * there are some users who remain under the old, and those who migrate. This state is a little unstable for a few months.

And today Unity releases 2 major version at the same time and 4.6 & 5.X.It is a real challenge for publisher selling assets sitting on scripts.

48. GregMeach

GregMeach

Update:
    Created new project with (released) 4.6 - opened example scene, worked fine.
    Copied project folder and opened with Unity 5 (b14), chose to upgrade obsolete API's - NO ERRORS. Opened a couple of example scenes and seemed to work fine. Perhaps the updater had problem when importing the package from the store - no idea

49. GregMeach

GregMeach

Yeah, I'm gonna go ahead and disagree with you there; the (package) developer should be reporting problems to Unity, not me ;)

50. DarkAnvil

DarkAnvil

This is good news.